It has to be you

Unrequited Love

August 26, 2010

The cafe’s grand opening had been a resounding success. As the evening drew to a close, only a handful of patrons lingered, and Kyung Mi’s employees were busy tidying up. She was about to retreat to the back office when the familiar chime of the door caught her attention. Her heart leaped as she looked up and saw him standing there.

“Oppa!” Kyung Mi practically flew to the front, enveloping Leeteuk in a warm hug. “I thought you’d forgotten.”

“Mimi-ah.” Leeteuk chuckled, returning the embrace. “I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t too busy.”

Their eyes met, and the years melted away. But then Kyung Mi noticed the others trailing in behind her cousin. She raised an eyebrow at him.

“They insisted on coming,” Leeteuk explained, gesturing to the group. “Where’s your private room?”

Kyung Mi giggled. “How did you know I have one? Lucky for you, I had it prepared since this morning.”

She led them upstairs to the conference/party area, where each guest received an iPad to input their orders. But her attention remained on Leeteuk.

“You’re lucky I love you, Oppa.” She pouted as he pulled her onto his lap.

“Mianhe, Mimi-ah,” he murmured. “Didn’t Noona tell you I was coming tonight?”

“She said you didn’t come with her.” Kyung Mi sighed, her smile returning. “Honestly, it’s better this way. If you were here with everyone, I wouldn’t have been able to sing earlier.”

A throat clearing interrupted their moment, and Kyung Mi glanced around. The other patrons were staring at them with curiosity. Leeteuk laughed and addressed the one who had cleared his throat.

“Yes, Hyukjae?”

“Who is she, Hyung? Your girlfriend?”

Leeteuk grinned, waiting for the questions to subside. “She’s Kyung Mi. She owns this cafe. And I’ve known her for exactly…” He checked his watch. “Exactly 24 years, 2 hours, and 56 minutes.”

“And I’m not his girlfriend,” Kyung Mi added, blushing as the staff brought in drinks and desserts.

“I was going to mess with them,” Leeteuk sighed.

“But they’d believe you,” Kyung Mi whispered. “I don’t want any trouble, Oppa.”

She bowed to the members. “Annyeonghasibnikka. Jeoneun Park Kyung Mi imnida. I’m Soo-Oppa’s cousin.”

The main dancer winked at her. “Hyung never told us he had a cute cousin.”

Kyung Mi blushed deeper. “Kyung Mi-ssi?” Her staff peeked in. “The videographer just left. The DVD of your performance earlier is in the office.”

“Thank you. You can all go home now,” Kyung Mi said.

Heechul raised an eyebrow. “Performance?”

Leeteuk stepped in. “It’s a performance cafe. Kyung Mi sang earlier during the opening.”

“Yesung’s birthday was two days ago and it's your birthday today,” Heechul added.“can we watch it now?”

Kyung Mi hesitated, then relented. “Ugh…fine.” She hoped her heart wouldn’t betray her feelings as the DVD played.

The room fell into a hushed reverence as the acoustic guitar’s melody filled the air. Kyung Mi’s voice, soft yet powerful, wove through the room, casting a spell on everyone present.

"Oneuldo nae gieogeul ttarahemaeda
I gil kkeuteseo seoseongineun na
Dasin bol sudo eomneun niga nareul butjaba
Naneun tto i gireul munneunda

Neol bogo sipdago
Tto ango sipdago
Jeo haneulbomyeo gidohaneun nal

Niga animyeon andwae
Neo eopsin nan andwae
Na ireoke haru handareul tto illyeoneul
Na apado joa
Nae mam dachyeodo joa nan
Geurae nan neo hanaman saranghanikka"

Yesung stood up, his eyes closed, absorbing every note. The lyrics seemed to echo within him, resonating with memories he hadn’t realized he held.

"Na du beon dasineun
Bonael su eopdago
Na neoreul itgo salsun eopdago

Niga animyeon andwae
Neo eopsin nan andwae
Na ireoke haru handareul tto illyeoneul
Na apado joa
Nae mam dachyeodo joa nan
Geurae nan neo hanaman saranghanikka"

"Nae meongdeun gaseumi
Neol chajaorago
Sorichyeo bureunda

Neon eodinneungeoni
Naui moksori deulliji anni
Naegeneun…"

The footsteps—soft, deliberate—drew his attention. He opened his eyes and was met with Kyung Mi’s gasp. They stood there, locked in a silent conversation, hearts laid bare by the music.

"Na dasi sarado
Myeot beoneul taeeonado
Harudo niga eopsi sal su eomneun na
Naega jikyeojul saram
Naega saranghal saram nan
Geurae nan neo hanaman chungbunhanikka
Neo hanaman saranghanikka~"

The song’s final note hung in the air, and Yesung knew that this moment would forever be etched in his heart.