Birthday

Love Scenario
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He could smell the comforting aroma of his mother’s heavenly cooking from several meters from his house.  He already knew she was brewing up a storm, especially when he haphazardly mentioned he was being called to the TV network’s headquarters that morning, already about to go out the door.

 

“But it’s your birthday!” His mother had adorably whined that morning, her familiar pink apron tied around her waist that seemed to be perpetually a permanent outfit.

 

“But I still have to work, Omma,” Kyungsoo had chuckled, toeing off his shoes once more.  “So we can go on that family vacation I promised you."  He ran over to give his mother a kiss on the cheek.  “I’ll see you for dinner.”

 

And dinner was going to be splendid indeed as his mother outdid herself this time.  Every birthday of Mrs. Do’s sons should be considered a national holiday by the amount of food she prepared, even if it was just a small party comprising of her, her husband and her two boys.

 

She squeezed her son close when she opened the door to him.  “Welcome home, aegi!”

 

Kyungsoo laughed, hugging his mother affectionately in return.  Nevermind he was turning 25 today.  He was forever going to be her baby.

 

“You always cook enough food to feed a small town,” Kyungsoo joked, and then burst out laughing when his mother’s jaw dropped. “I mean it in a very good way, Omma,” he pacified, the heart-shaped grin he inherited from her broadening. “You’re the best cook ever.”

 

“Are you hungry?” Mrs. Do offered, already ushering her birthday boy to the dining table.

 

Kyungsoo enthusiastically looked on when Mrs. Do removed the covers of what appeared to be—and Kyungsoo quickly counted them—TWELVE dishes. “Let’s wait for Abeoji and hyung?”

 

“We can do that, but if you’re already hungry...”  Mrs. Do eyed her son warily.  “Don’t tell me you already ate out when you know I’ve cooked all of your favorite dishes for you?”

 

Kyungsoo laughed awkwardly, recalling the small celebration the studio quickly arranged when he verbally—albeit reluctantly—agreed to be their Beomsil.  How should he announce this to his family?  He didn’t even tell the network that it was his birthday today but that he just had to rush home for a family thing.  “Aniya, aniya.  I just… need to tell you something.”

 

“Eh?” Mrs. Do sounded totally curious.  “Did something happen at the scriptwriting session?”


“Well…”

 

Just then, the front door creaked open, much to Kyungsoo’s relief.

 

“Saengil-chugkkah, Kyungsoo-yah!”

 

“Kamsa-hamnida, Abeoji!” Kyungsoo greeted happily, his big eyes turning into moon-shaped crescents.

 

Mrs. Do couldn’t help smiling herself as father and son hugged at the door.

 

His older brother quickly followed, ruffling the birthday boy’s head roughly while the maknae was still encased in their father’s arms.

 

“Aww, hyung!  When are you going to stop that?!” Kyungsoo half-heartedly protested, while Seungsoo trapped him in a headlock with their parents laughing.

 

“Never, baby brother!”  Seungsoo fondly kissed the top of his head then, loosening his hold on him.  “Happy Birthday!”

 

Mr. Do was already heading for the fridge to get Kyungsoo’s mint chocolate cake.  Seungsoo then whipped out his phone to film Kyungsoo’s pleasant reaction at the sight of his birthday cake.

 

“Is it recording?” Mr. Do asked, looking at Seungsoo.

 

The oldest son had to laugh, as it had been capturing the scene for 24 seconds now, nodding.

 

“Wait, how is my hair?” Mrs. Do fussed, hurriedly smoothing out her bun as Seungsoo tried to light up the candles with his mother’s open flame igniter for the stove, using it to light up the 2 and 5 candles on the mint chocolate confectionary.

 

A visibly flustered Kyungsoo was chuckling and giggling when his family began to fondly sing the birthday song for him.  Kyungsoo’s big eyes grew even wide when Seungsoo went a little overboard and hit a stratospherical note on “Saranghaneun, Kyungsoo-yah!!!!”

 

Their parents’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter