Looks Like An Angel

You Too
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Part 2: Looks Like An Angel

There are times when Yena would comment on how you rationalize things too much, and how you always need to think about things a million times over before you act on them. In your defense though, it is your way to prevent yourself from acting rashly; rushed decisions often lead to something that you would regret or something that would make you look like a fool and you hate it, you hate making a fool out of yourself.

Except, when it comes to that girl. The same girl who’s currently walking on the other side of the street. You smiled at how she tried to avoid being noticed by you earlier. She even put a conscious effort into crossing the street just to avoid you. What she didn’t know is that you saw her already, you did. In the first place, you wouldn’t be sitting here, on the side of the road in the middle of the night with cans of beer beside you if you didn’t know you'd see her here. After all, you are sitting here for that reason alone. And no, you are not her stalker, you aren’t like that.

You knowing she lives in this neighborhood is just a pure accident on your part. A coincidence, you were out on a run last summer when you decided to change your usual route. Usually, you run up the hill next to your neighborhood. The view of city lights on that hill is magnificent and it’s your favorite. But that specific night the road there was closed to the public, so instead, you ran in this direction. Until you saw her by the bridge, at first you weren’t sure if it was really her, you thought that maybe you just missed her too much that you were starting to see her in every girl you see on the street.

But then you’ve been watching her from afar for years now that you can recognize even the back of her head. You know too well how she normally walks when she’s out alone in a public place, with her head down and her books on her arm. You immediately stopped in your tracks and watched her walk mindlessly. It was already late and you wondered where she could possibly come from.

It worries you, cause it isn’t safe to walk alone late at night, especially when she was completely unaware of her surroundings. She already walked past you and she didn’t even notice you. With a sigh you turn to your heels and walk just a few meters behind her, keeping a safe distance. Better be sure that she’ll be home safe, that’s the reason you told yourself that night.

So yeah, you followed her that night, but not for the reason most creepy people do. And after that you find yourself, running in this neighborhood and sitting on this bench at ten in the evening, waiting for Minjoo to make sure she’s home safe by that time. It wasn’t hard for you to find out why she goes home that late, she works part-time in a cafe near the campus, that's what Yena told you. How does she know? You have no idea.

For some reason, that friend of yours makes sure you know those little details about Minjoo. You got to admit it played a part in how this passion you have for this girl ignited.

+++

“Kim Minjoo,” You immediately looked up from your paper when you heard what she said and watched your friend sit on the empty seat across from you, putting her hand on the table and looking seriously at you. “Kim Minjoo, English Literature major that means she’s in the liberal arts department” she added her eyes still fixated on you, you just stared at her wondering what is she on about.

“Aren’t you going to say anything?” Yena asked when you kept your silence

“What do you expect me to say?” you replied your brows furrowed, “I don’t even know what you were talking about” you added, bringing your eyes back to your plate

“Your crush,” She started causing you to stop your hands from drawing lines, “the pretty brunette,” she added. You immediately know who she’s talking about.

“What you’re a stalker now?” you jokingly said, going back to what you were drawing, “and I don’t have a crush on her”

“You sure about that?” Yena countered

“Yes,” You answered with a sigh, your eyes still focused on your plate “I am close to assuming that you’re the one who has a crush on her,” you added with a smirk, your eyes flickering to her

“She’s pretty,” she replied calmly, causing you to stop once again. “You two would look good together,” she added and when you looked up at her she already has this annoying smirk on her face

“You need to stop with that agenda of yours,” you said, rolling your eyes at her. Yena just laughed, she’s taking this university romance agenda of hers way too seriously and you are not sure what to feel about it.

You scanned your plate one last time and grabbed your drawing materials, putting them inside your bag. You both stood up and left for your last class, Yena by your side, her arms around your shoulder. She keeps on talking about the prank her brother pulled on her last night and you as a good friend as you are just hum and nod at everything she said. You passed by an open lecture hall, and your eyes flickered in its direction.

It was quick, your eyes darted in that direction solely because of curiosity since it is very rare that professors left the door open when the class is ongoing, a brief look and your eyes are met by none other than Kim Minjoo, sitting in the front corner of the room your eyes locked to each other and her eyes widen, this time it’s like one of those movie moments, the slow-mo ones. The corner of your lips unconsciously curled upon seeing her shocked face, your eyes fixed on her until you fully passed by their lecture room.

“What’s with the smile?” you heard Yena ask

“Nothing,” you answered, without looking at her your smile widened when Minjoo’s shocked face flashed in your mind again. Yeah, she’s pretty and not to mention cute.

+++

Honestly, you can’t remember how long it’s been since you started harboring this fascination for this girl. You tried acting on it once but it didn’t turn out like how you imagined it would. You never tried again, cause well you’re afraid and your ego was hurt by that small interaction. Not hurt enough for you to lose interest in her though, so you convince yourself that admiring her from afar is enough. You let out a chuckle because who are you even kidding, you know it wasn’t enough. You will always wonder how it feels to be in Kim Minjoo’s presence.

Maybe Yena was right, so you take a sip from your beer and heave a deep breath before saying, “Hey, Kim Minjoo!”

People around you stopped and darted their heads around, some gave you a judging look but you didn’t care your eyes are all on Minjoo, you suppressed a smile when she momentarily stopped before quickening her pace. You called her last name once again determined to get her attention. Who knows until when this pseudo-courage of yours would last?

“Are you speaking to me?” she asked from the other side of the street. Her books were in her hand and her brows furrowed. You suppressed a smile at the sight, you can already hear the annoyance in her voice and you don’t want to piss her off. After all, this is your first step in trying to befriend her as per Yena’s advice. You don’t even know why you follow her advice.

“You are the only Kim Minjoo here,” you replied, taking another sip from your beer. If you’re gonna go through with this ridiculous plan of yours you need the courage to do that. That’s what the beers are for, “so yeah I am talking to you” you continued smiling at her, you can only hope you don’t look weird while doing that

“What do you want, Ahn?” Minjoo answered, there was a hint of impatience in her voice.

You.

Of course, you are not crazy enough to say that out loud. You’d probably choose to jump off the cliff than say that to Minjoo. So you think, what could possibly be the most harmless and less embarrassing answer to that question?

“You know, it isn’t safe for a pretty girl like you to walk alone this late at night,” the words are out of your goddamn mouth before you can even stop yourself, so much for thinking of a less embarrassing response. You’re blaming all this on the beer in your hand.

“Did you just call me pretty?” Minjoo asked, raising her brow

You didn’t mean it but you laughed so hard at how unexpected her response was. You expected her to walk away and call you an idiot or annoying for messing with her yet, here she is asking you if you really just gave that compliment to her.

“You really focused on that part rather than on the part where I told you it isn’t safe for you to walk alone, huh?” You can’t help but ask, 'cause you find it so funny, is she not aware that she’s pretty? That she’s probably the most gorgeous person in your university? “But yeah, I called you pretty, what about it?” you said coolly, trying to stop yourself from saying anything embarrassing again. Because in all honesty, pretty is an understatement to describe her. Minjoo didn’t say anything, she just stared at you, while still standing there on the other side of the street.

“You want a beer?” you shouted to get her attention once again, you’ve already said something embarrassing might as well utilize this moment.

“I don’t drink,” she simply answered, shifting her books in her hand. Your brows slightly furrowed cause those books seems heavy “I think you’re drunk,” she added.

“Oh! I’m not, just a little tipsy,” you lied, you have high alcohol tolerance you won’t get drunk just from drinking beer but if she thinks you're drunk then maybe you could use that excuse if you ever embarrass yourself again. “Come on, Kim. Just a sip,” you offered once again, grinning widely at her. You’ll surely blame all this tomorrow on the alcohol.

Your smile widens when Minjoo finally decides to cross the street and walk toward you. She stopped just a meter in front of you and you fought the urge to just stare at her, so you shifted your eyes to her books instead and you can see that she’s been struggling to carry them all in her arms. So you asked her, “Why do you carry your books all the time?”

Minjoo immediately raised her brow at your question, “Is that what I cross the road for?”

A chuckle escaped your lips at her response, you really adore how she responds to whatever you say. You can’t help but wonder if that’s an automatic defense response cause she always expects you’re messing with her. For some reason it’s cute. You took another sip from your beer and she asked you why you were drinking, also if you don't have any class tomorrow which is a valid question considering it's a weekday.

“I am celebrating,” you simply answered, “and I have, 7 am in fact” you added, proudly nodding at her before dragging your eyes away from her distractingly beautiful face.

You would love to just stare at her cause it isn’t like every day to get the chance to be this close to her, to the person you secretly adore. You heard her comment how gutsy you are to drink when you have class tomorrow, then she curiously asked what’s the reason for your celebration. You fought the urge to smile at her curiosity as you looked up at her, locking your eyes on her mesmerizing fox-like eyes. She was still standing in front of you, staring at you as if you were such a wonderful sight to see, it made you a little bit nervous.

“I managed you make you cross the street,” you said, finally letting the smile you’ve been suppressing go, and you marveled at the sight of Kim Minjoo’s lips slowly curling up into the most captivating smile you’ve ever seen. You are aware that yes, you might be exaggerating but right now, all you could say is it feels exhilarating to be finally on the receiving end of that smile. You are probably s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter