21:30 - 23:00

The Longest Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joohyun tries to convince the man that the surgery report, or what they called operative report at the hospital, won't get him anything. Even if it does, if he tries to use it as an evidence, he would also be in the wrong for stealing it in the first place. However, he doesn't seem to care, reasoning that he wasn't going to be the one stealing it anyway. If there really is something there that he could use, he could say that a disgruntled employee or Dr. Kim's competitor or some decent human being who wants to do the right thing gave him the report.

 

When Joohyun tells him that she doesn't have the access to the reports, he only shrugs. "I don't care. You just have to figure it out yourself."

 

Joohyun steals a glance at Seulgi and sees her girlfriend looking at her with a look. A specific look that says 'our lives are at stake, you have to do what he says'.

 

"Okay." Joohyun finally says to him after seeing Seulgi rubbing her nose that was hit by the gun.

 

"Good." He says with such confident, as if he already knew Joohyun would agree.

 

"So what do we do now?" She asks.

 

Before the man could answer, someone's phone rings. Knowing it's not his own ringtone, he looks at the two of them, silently asking whose is it.

 

"It's mine." Joohyun says. "Can I go check? It might be from the hospital."

 

He contemplates, doesn't really want to take the risk.

 

She tries persuading him again. "I did a surgery today. They know not to call me at home unless it's really important."

 

He thinks for a few seconds before swinging his gun to the direction of the sound, giving her the permission. "Put it on speaker and no matter what you can't leave this place. Get the other doctors to handle it." The gun now points to Seulgi, a reminder for Joohyun to behave herself.

 

The phone has stopped ringing when she reaches the bag where she puts it in. She takes it out and sees that it was Chef Sato. She has forgotten to inform him that they were not coming anymore. She works her brain fast; this might be perfect opportunity to get some help.

 

"." She says, turning around, putting a little bit of an act. "I totally forgot that we were supposed to meet a friend tonight." She says to him before shifting her gaze to Seulgi, showing the missed call notification on her phone. "It was Sato."

 

"Oh, don't lie." He scoffs at her. "You were supposed to meet a friend but you went to get takeouts at this hour? At least make it more believable, Dr. Bae."

 

"I'm not lying. Our friend is a chef at a restaurant. He's meeting us after closing up. I need to call him back. If he didn't hear from us he would come here to find us." She lies through her teeth as convincingly as she can. Their relationships with the chef are strictly as a doctor and a patient, as well as an art dealer and a client, with occasional friendly chats happening at the restaurant. He definitely doesn't know where they live nor will he care if they didn't end up showing up at the restaurant after making a reservation.

 

"And what were you all going to do at this hour?" He questions, definitely finding it suspicious.

 

Seulgi swoops in to back her up. "I'm an art dealer." She says, reminding the man of her occupation. "We have new artworks at the gallery and he wanted to check it out to get something new for the restaurant."

 

That one year Seulgi spent in the theatre club in high school finally paid off when the man reluctantly says, "Okay, tell him one of you suddenly got sick or something. Make it quick."

 

Joohyun nods and walks toward Seulgi, handing her the phone while mouthing 'speak Japanese'. She hopes Seulgi understands what she's trying to tell her to do.

 

The blonde understands very well what Joohyun is thinking. They've been together for years, they can communicate without saying a word to each other.  Chef Sato, who has been living in Seoul for a long time, speaks perfect Korean and that's the languange the three of them usually communicate in. However, Seulgi would sometime speak to him in Japanese to brush up on the language. She was in a student exchange program in high school and got to spend a year studying in Tokyo. The problem now is that she has to admit that her Japanese is a little rusty, she can't even remember the words for gun and hostage. She has a very limited time to think and very limited words she can say to the chef to tell him what's going on without sounding suspicious.

 

She puts the call on speaker, as instructed by the man, and hears it ringing. Chef Sato answers the call after the fourth ring and Seulgi immediately greets him in Japanese before he could mutter a single Korean word.

 

The man questions Joohyun in whispers straight away about the use of the foreign language and she explains to him that their friend is a foreigner. She looks in horror as he walks toward Seulgi after hearing that and snatches her phone away, ending the call.

 

In that few seconds, Seulgi managed to ask for help, but for what exactly, she didn't have the time to explain. She isn't sure if he would actually do anything based on such little information.

 

"What did you say to him?" The man enquires, his tone is more challenging than actually asking a question.

 

"I.. I didn't get to say anything. I was apologizing and just about to tell him that Joohyun is down with a stomach ache." Her heart is pounding really hard. She prays he won't be able to hear.

 

"Don't lie!" He yells.

 

"I didn't!" Seulgi shouts back in reflex.

 

He passes the phone back to Seulgi and walks to Joohyun, standing behind the brunette and pointing his gun at her. "Call him back and tell him you didn't mean that."

 

"Didn't mean what?" Seulgi says, panicking seeing the gun so close to Joohyun's head.

 

"I've been working in Japan for years, you ! I understood what you said."

 

Seulgi's eyes widened while Joohyun closes her eyes and exhales in disappointment, feeling stupid for not assuming that the man might understand the language of their neighbour country. 'He works overseas, you ing idiot!' She curses herself internally for forgetting this fact and the possibility of him working in Japan.

 

Seulgi calls the chef defeatedly and clears up the misunderstanding.

 

-

 

The man surprisingly isn't that mad with what happened. He even finds the coincidence that he actually speaks Japanese funny and teases them for being arrogant for thinking that someone who looks like him isn't educated enough to be bilingual. He sits down on the couch and plays with his beard, probably realizing it himself that he needs a shave.

 

His mood seems to change for the better after that. He takes a look at his watch and chuckles to himself. "Do you want to know something funny? I wasn't supposed to come here tonight. I was just following you home earlier and then I sat on the bench across the street. I did that a lot lately, just sitting at random places, watching people go about their lives. It's better than going home. Home.. doesn't feel like home anymore without her." He starts rambling, more to himself than to the audience of two. "I sat there for hours and I was about to leave when I saw you coming out again and I thought to myself.. maybe today is the day. You have no idea how many times I have followed you but I always s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter