Part 3 - Jinki

Breathe

Jinki was woken up by the sound of a crying Kibum. Startled, he immediately checked the younger and found Kibum clutching his phone. The name that leaves his fiance’s mouth enough to make his heart hurt. Why did he call his fiance late at night? But Jinki didn’t want to make Kibum feel sorry for him. He hugged the crying Kibum and soothing him with his usual way.

 

He listens to what Kibum has to say to his fiance’s ex and gets wary over Kibum agreeing to meet Jonghyun again. Jinki didn’t like it. He hates seeing Kibum become so vulnerable and fragile just by a call from his ex. He hates that Kibum is still crying over his ex even after three years with Jinki. And he hates that Kibum agrees to meet Jonghyun without consulting him first.

 

But when Kibum turns over and looks at him, he is once again reminded of how much he loves this man and how he is willing to sacrifice everything for Kibum’s happiness.

 

*

Jinki is walking to the front gate when he sees the scene. His brother, Lee Taemin, tried to cross the road without looking at the traffic around him. He walks urgently, almost running to the street and at the same time a car is running toward him. Jinki shouting Taemin’s name, afraid that his brother will be run over by the car but it seems like Taemin didn’t hear him. With all the strength he has, Jinki runs toward Taemin but deep down he knows that he is already too late.

 

The car honks crazily and Taemin is too late to realise that the car is going right into him. Luckily before the car hit him, Taemin is being pulled out. Jinki looked with horror in his eyes, realising that he almost lost his brother. He ran to his brother, ready to scold him and thank the person that saved his brother's life. But the man had already left before Jinki could reach them. Jinki only gets to see a glimpse of the man but the face he sees is so pretty that Jinki couldn’t believe his eyes. Is it an angel?

 

After the incident Jinki started looking for the man and found out that he is Kim Kibum, a 2nd year student and boyfriend of his junior in choir club.

 

“So Jonghyun-ssi, I heard that you are currently dating a second year? What’s happened with Sekyung-ssi?” Jinki asked. They are currently resting after an hour of choir practice.

 

Jonghyun grinned happily and started to tell Jinki about his love for this particular Kim Kibum. From Jonghyun’s story, he gets some information about Kibum. He knows the younger hometown, what’s his favourite food, his hobby and Jinki could also imagine the personality of this Kim Kibum.

 

Jinki never introduces himself to Kibum but he always keeps an eye for the boy. The more he knows Kibum, the more fascinated he is with the young man. He saw how the boy always come at the end of the choir practice only to give water bottle full of herbal tea to Jonghyun, how Kibum smile happily when Jonghyun told him that Jonghyun will have a solo stage in the school event, how Kibum stand in the front when it was time for Jonghyun’s solo and Jinki wonder what is it like to have a loving boyfriend like Kibum.

Then, Jinki started to grow feelings for the boy. Without realising, his eyes would always search for the boy in the crowded place hoping that he could see Kibum’s smile. Jinki also starts daydreaming about Kibum, imagining how his life would be if Kibum was his boyfriend instead of Jonghyun.

 

It feels like an obsession because even after graduation, Jinki would visit his university with the excuse to pick Taemin up. Taemin always asked him why Jinki suddenly insisted on picking him up every day but Jinki never told him the reason. Jinki just keeps on being Kibum’s secret admirer, without the intention of introducing himself to the younger. Until one day, Taemin told Jinki not to pick him up because he would come home with his friend to do some assignment together. Feeling upset, Jinki opted to drown himself in his work. Jinki is a translator, thus he always works from home except there’s something he needs to discuss with the client.

 

Taemin’s laughter echoed in the small of their house followed by some familiar voice. Jinki’s heart beating fast hearing the voice he would recognize everywhere. Could it be?

 

“You should get rid of that movement, Taemin-a! It doesn’t suit your innocent image, you know?”

 

It’s his Kibum. The man that always decorates his dream with a unicorn and fluffy cloud.

 

“Oh hyung, you are home!” Taemin finally acknowledges Jinki’s presence, “Hyung, this is Kibum hyung. Kibum hyung, this is Jinki hyung. My older brother that I’ve told you about!”

 

Kibum smiles widely and stretches his hand in a friendly manner.

 

“Hi hyung! It’s nice to finally meet you. I heard a lot about you from Taemin since we are in a contemporary dance class together!”

 

Jinki thanks his lucky star for this coincidence.

 

After that Kibum kept coming to their house because apparently Kibum and Taemin were assigned to be partners for the full semester.

 

Jinki and Kibum naturally become close friends as Kibum always relies on Jinki’s advice every time he needs one. Jinki didn’t mind, of course. He is happy even if it means that he would always listen to Kibum’s relationship with Jonghyun. Seeing the man smile widely is enough for Jinki. And so Jinki kept his feelings to himself for a few years.

 

It was until Kibum broke up with Jonghyun and seeing the younger crying non-stop for a month that Jinki’s resolve broke out. He started to pour Kibum with affection and love and didn’t hesitate to linger longer when they were hugging or saying that he loves the younger whenever he has the chance.

 

It took two years for Jinki to gather courage to tell Kibum about his feelings. When the younger said yes, Jinki feels ecstatic like he is flying to the cloud nine.

 

*

Now Jinki is waiting patiently in their apartment. He is the one that encouraged Kibum to meet his ex but now he is regretting it. He feels anxious and really wants to cry right now. What if Kibum chose to get back together with Jonghyun and left him? What should he do with the wedding planning? What will his parents say if they cancel the wedding?

 

Without knowing, tears are rolling down his face. He really loves Kibum and he didn’t know what he should do without Kibum. His crying becomes uncontrollable and he is sobbing on their couch. He feels hurt and betrayed. But when he saw Kibum standing in the doorway, a shocked and worried look on his face looking at crying Jinki, Jinki once again thanked his lucky star.

 

When Kibum cuddles and gives a lot of kisses to Jinki that night, Jinki knows that he will love Kibum for the longest time.