end.

Bloom
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

College was the perfect site for people watching. College offered students the freedom to wear what they want and explore the subjects they were actually interested in. Unless you were a student, like Kim Yongsun, who was basically forced by her mother to major in engineering with the promise to let her minor in literature.

 

Most of her college experience involved observing her peers filing into lectures. One hand resting on her cheek, the other absently tapping a pen back and forth. She knew these people semi-well, enough to recognize and attach their names to their faces.

 

Although there was always one student she paid extra attention to.

 

The first time Yongsun laid eyes on Byulyi, she was underwhelmed. Byulyi was unassuming. She slouched as she walked, sporting thin gold specs, gray sweatpants, and a baggy t-shirts. Her basic black hair was pulled into a low ponytail. She held a styrofoam cup of coffee like it was the most precious treasure the earth had to offer and chewed on a blueberry muffin.

 

Byulyi looked like she rolled out of bed with barely a moment to spare. Unlike Yongsun, who's alarm was set two hours before class to do her makeup and pick a statement garment from her closet. Yongsun couldn't tell if she wanted to be upset at Byulyi's lack of effort or to envy her for not caring about the dirty looks their classmates cast her way.

 

Yongsun didn't know her name then. To her, Byulyi was 'resident nobody with bad fashion taste'. Yongsun only learned her name when she asked for notes on The Turn of the Shrew after oversleeping the day before. Moon Byulyi, meticulously written on the top of lined paper.

 

She considered herself partially lucky too. Byulyi wasn't keen on socializing with her classmates. She seemed more engrossed in the different books she read every week. She always had her nose buried in a novel and barely lifted her head in class. 

 

When she did 'talk', it was with reason. You see, there is one thing Yongsun and Byulyi had in common.

 

Their mutual hate for their classmate Park Jae.

 

Park Jae, an underclassmen, was earsplitting and obnoxious. He jumped at every chance to interrupt a session. Raising his hand to make another lousy outburst about one line in a thousand page story. When he did, Yongsun and Byulyi would exchange glances across the room. Yongsun didn't know why this was. It just was.

 

But they didn't have to exchange a proper conversation to convey what they were thinking.

 

Her lips pressed into a thin line. 'He's an .' Byulyi's eyes would say.

 

Yongsun was slightly more exaggerated. She contort her face in disgust and curl her fingers in front of her body. 'I know! You would think after reading her stories and poems, he would have a bit of compassion towards Sylvia.'

 

"Men." Byulyi would snort under her breath. Yongsun agreed equally disgruntled. Then they would exchange a smile.

 

There was something off with their dynamic today. Jae had been rambling on and on to the professor for almost an hour disrupting class, that was per usual. But, sitting across from Yongsun in the auditorium lecture hall, Byulyi sat still. In fact, she hadn't bothered to look up from her book once to send Yongsun a telepathic message about how much Jae right now.

 

Confused at first, Yongsun lean forward as an attempt to view what was devoting all of Byulyi's attention. After all, Byulyi had interesting taste, ranging from Dante Alighieri's The Divine Comedy to Han Kang's The White Book to Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights. But, Yongsun had to do a double take at this weeks choice.

 

The Prince of Salt by Patricia Highsmith. Also known as Carol.

 

Yongsun sagged back in her chair, formulating her her thoughts, but mostly impressed. Who knew her semi-friend-but-mostly-classmate-acquaintance was interested in lesbian literature.

 

Time passed and Yongsun was beginning to feel ignored and bored. She decided to make one last ditch effort to snag Byulyi's attention. She pondered crumpling up a piece of note paper and tossing it at the back of Byulyi's head, but then again her notebook held all her class notes.

 

The lid attached to the end of her pen sufficed.

 

Yongsun refrained from laughing at Byulyi's reaction. Byulyi rubbed the back of head, turning in her seat to search for the culprit. Yongsun held up a peace sign, eyes scrunched close, and big cheesy smile as an act to make peace. Byulyi didn't look amused.

 

Yongsun leaned forward and mouthed, "Can you believe Jae?"

 

Byulyi shrugged and rebounded back to her book. Yongsun let out a disgruntled huff and crossed her arms over her chest. Byulyi was no fun.

 

Teacher and student argued for another good fifteen minutes. Finally, after what felt like an eternity the professor gave up and excused the class with a heavy sigh. Yongsun gathered her materials and noticed a certain someone hadn't moved from their spot.

 

She took it upon herself to tell Byulyi about the early dismissal. She tapped on Byulyi's shoulder and spoke up. "Byulyi-ssi."

 

Byulyi tore her eyes from the page and peered up. "A-ah, Yongsun-ssi. Do you need something? More notes?" Her voice was thick as if this was her first time speaking all day.

 

"Haha, not today. I just wanted to let you know class is over."

 

Byulyi's mouth formed an 'o' shape, comprehending the situation. It was clear they were the only two left in the classroom. Yongsun giggled at the expression. Byulyi had a ditsy side to her, didn't she?

 

"I'm sorry." Byulyi apologized, for no reason. Yongsun backed up, giving Byulyi room to pack her belongings. "I am presumably inconveniencing you. You probably have someone waiting for you."

 

Yongsun raked her brain, taken aback by the statement. 'Someone waiting for me?'

 

"Yeah that girl who you always meet up with after class."

 

'Did I ask that out loud?' Yongsun thought and cringed at her possible blunder. They did speak to each other non verbally during most their lectures together, what did she expect? 'Girl? Does she mean?'

 

"Oh! Do you mean Jung Wheein?"

 

Byulyi flushed pink with a small nod. The Price of Salt must have taken some tole on Byulyi's brain if she had any inclination there was a a relationship between Yongsun and Wheein. They were merely friends and lab partners in Geology.

 

"I think she can manage." Yongsun giggled. "Besides, I'm a tad disappointed you missed out on Jae's rant of the gay--I mean, day." Yongsun stumbled, inwardly smacking her forehead. Perhap The Price of Salt caused Yongsun's brain to malfunction too.

 

"He's a jerk." Thankfully, Byulyi didn't acknowledge her blunder. "It couldn't have been anything worth listening to anyways."

 

"He's definitely not nearly as interesting as today's book choice, Byulyi-ssi." Yongsun teased, nudging Byulyi's arm. "Carol, huh?"

 

"Uhhh I just-- I wanted to expand my library and the cover was pretty." Byulyi explained, the rosiness returning to her cheeks again. She certainly reminded Yongsun of a kid who had been caught stealing too many cookies from the cookie jar.

 

Yongsun nodded, pursing her bottom lip. "Quite an intriguing library you've got there."

 

Byulyi nodded, pushing her glasses further up her nose. She was either embarrassed or merciful by Yongsun's short inquisition. Yongsun began to walk away and motioned Byulyi to follow her out the classroom.

 

"So, have you seen the movie?"

 

"It's on the to-watch list. I wanted to read the book first so I could compare the two."

 

"Oh my god! What-- Seriously?" Yongsun's eyes bulged in disbelief. Carol was an absolute Christmas classic in her mind. A classic romance with holiday elements. Perfect for cuddling beneath heavy blankets and warm cups of hot cocos. "Hm, I think it's available for elite 'flix members."

 

"I'm a college student Yongsun-ssi. What makes you think I can afford a 'flix account?" Byulyi laughed. And it was an adorable laugh at that. It wasn't super sonic like Yongsun's; it was the perfect volume and contagious enough for Yongsun to join in. "Do you really think I'd read all these books if I had that as an option?"

 

Yongsun punched Byulyi's shoulder playfully. "Okay, okay. I get it, you're a nerd."

 

"So I'm a nerd now?"

 

"Yeah, duh! Wait--- Hold on, I have an idea! Unlike you, I happen to have an account. You're free to come over and watch it when you've wrapped up the book."

 

Byulyi's jaw dropped. "Really?"

 

"Of course! I could make some popcorn, buy some snacks and cheap beer!" Yongsun answered imagining them already planted on her couch surrounded by yummy goodies watching one of her all time favorite movies.

 

"That does sound rather tempting." Byulyi mused nervously tugging at the ends of her sleeves.

 

Yongsun fished for her phone from her pocket and checked the time. She had fifteen minutes before her next class and it was located on the other side of the campus. If she doesn't leave now she would receive another lecture from Miss Ahn. The scariest science professor in all of Seoul.

 

She tapped on add a new contact and passed the phone to Byulyi. "I have to get to class. Give me your number and text me if you're down to watch Carol together." Byulyi nodded, typing her number, before passing it back.

 

Yongsun smiled her eyes lingering on the number.

 

"Don't be a stranger, Moon Byulyi."

 

 

Yongsun was late to class and she pried open the heavy door in a complete daze. She was amazed at her own brazenness, inviting Byulyi over like she was someone she'd known all her life. For all she knows, she might've just pushed Byulyi further away, but why did she care so much. Byulyi was just 'resident nobody'.

 

There was only one person Yongsun could turn to at times like these.

 

"Yongsun-ssi. You're late again. This is your second warning." Miss Ahn addressed, her eyes never leaving the white board. She must've already taken class attendance. "Next time, just sit out the lesson and save us from interruption?"

 

"Sorry, Miss Ahn. I won't do it again." Yongsun bowed taking a seat towards the back of the class. Snickers from her fellow classmates followed her and she shot them annoyed glares.

 

"Hubba hubba. I love it when you get Miss Ahn all riled up, Yong." Wheein gushed in a low whisper, Yongsun rolled her eyes taking a seat beside her best friend. "The way she glared at you made my heart flutter."

 

Wheein was a petite, auburn haired girl, with a sweet little dimple that appears every time she smiles. Amazingly piquant personality to boot and loyal science partner turned bestie. She and Yongsun shared many similarities, preferring arts over lackluster engineering hullabaloo. Though, Wheein could draw a mean blueprint when put on the spot.

 

Wheein's naive though. She was a total teachers pet with Professor Ahn. It could be taken as a school girl crush, but it was Wheein. She totally believed she had a chance with her teacher.

 

"Leave me out of your teacher-student fantasies, Wheein."

 

"Ouch! What's with you?" Wheein pouted crossing her arms over her teddy bear embroidered sweater. "Did that Moon girl reject you or something?"

 

"No! She did not!" Yongsun abruptly shouted. This caused everyone to stop what they were doing to turn and stare at her. Including Miss Ahn. Yongsun bowed her head in apology. The students dismissed her and refocused on their lesson again.

 

Wheein nudged Yongsun. "Sorry."

 

"It's fine. I'm sorry too."

 

"So tell me. Was it Jae then? Did he say something gross again?"

 

"No, no. Wait-- Did you ask if I got rejected by Byulyi?"

 

"Her name is Byulyi? That's pretty."

 

Yongsun shook Wheein's shoulders, telling her to stop toying around the subject. In between shakes, Wheein replied in a fit of giggles.

 

"I. Saw. You. Two. Talking. To each. Other. For the. First. Time. Ever."

 

Yongsun paused her movements, and Wheein rubbed her rattled head.

 

That's right. The two of them have never actually held a conversation that long before. And Yongsun had the nerve to call them friends even though they knew absolute zilch about each other. It was no wonder Byulyi seemed almost too awkward for Yongsun.

 

"Wheein, what would you think if someone invites you over to watch a movie?"

 

"Eh? It all depends." Wheein placed her finger on her chin. "If it's a 'flix and chill night, it's more than just a hanging out. That's straight up asking to get laid."

 

Yongsun groaned, laying her head on her desk. Oh great, Byulyi must think Yongsun's erted only invited her over to try to have . That's undeniably, sarcasm intended, her purpose of inviting Byulyi over. In all honestly, she simply found it crazy Byulyi had never seen Carol and was only doing her a favor.

 

"I invited Byulyi! To come over and watch Carol--"

 

"--Are you crazy?"

 

"--Wheein! What do I do!" Yongsun seethed, fully in panic mode.

 

Wheein smirked leaning in close to Yongsun's ear. "Stay hydrated." Yongsun squeaked and pushed Wheein away. Wheein let out a roaring laugh. Miss Ahn turned her heels sending the two a pointed glare. The two shrunk in their seats.

 

Once the tension dissolved, Wheein poked Yongsun.

 

"You know, I have a class with Moon-ssi. I've always wondered what she looked like beneath those big sweaters. I bet she's hiding a bangin' body."

 

"Jung Wheein!"

 

Strike three. Yongsun and Wheein were escorted out of the classroom.

 

 

Moon Byulyi: Done :)

 

Yongsun stared down at her phone in awe.

 

Byulyi finished the book. It had only been a day since their literature class. How did she read it so fast? Yongsun can't even remember the last time she read a book that wasn't for an assignment.

 

Kim Yongsun-ssi: yay!!!

soooooo what did you think?

 

While Yongsun waited for a response, she changed Byulyi's name in her phone. Moon Byulyi sounded too awkward and she's had enough of that already.

 

Nerd Byul: I have a lot to say. I may had shed a couple tears.

I hope it's not too much trouble, but can I come over?

I need to watch it.

 

Feeling overwhelmed by piles of sticky notes for upcoming essays and tests, Yongsun stared blankly at the open document on her computer screen. She still had 2,000 more words left and it wasn't due until midnight. But, it wouldn't hurt to set it aside for a couple hours. It was still early.

 

Yongsun: did you enjoy it that much?

Nerd Byul: Yongsun, it's a ing incredible book.

I don't know if a movie can capture the same emotions.

Yongsun: hold your judgment until the credits

pinned my address

ill have it set up and ready to go by the time you arrive.

Nerd Byul: I know this is kinda last minute.

But thanks Yongsun.

 

Yongsun had regained her energy. She stood up in a flash and rushed into the kitchen, tossing a bag of popcorn into the microwave. The bag states on the directions to not leave it alone, but Yongsun ignored the instructions and skipped into the bathroom to freshen up.

 

She spent her evening yesterday with Wheein in the college courtyard debating whether this was considered a date or not. Wheein made plenty of unrepeatable statements and suggestions, further annoying Yongsun to no return, but she knew Wheein was trying to encourage her.

 

"Wear something loose and comfortable so it's easier for her to touch your abs."

 

"God, sometimes I wonder who's more annoying: Jae or You."

 

Wheein had conjured a concept in her mind for Yongsun. And as much as Yongsun didn't want to admit it, the plan wasn't half bad. Perhaps, if Yongsun did dress comfortably it would ease Byulyi's nerves and the atmosphere wouldn't be as tense as it was the day before.

 

It came natural for Yongsun to wear a pair of shorts and a band t-shirt. The difference between college Yongsun and home Yongsun was immense. Yongsun would be lying if she said she wasn't fully aware of the way she presents herself in public.

 

She wanted to come across approachable person who her friends and classmates can rely on.

 

Outside of school was a far cry from the well-kept Yongsun her classmates knew her as. Anyone who'd bumped into on the street would agree. She was still that down to earth girl, but less wound up about appearances and more concerned with what flavor of beer she should buy.

 

Strawberry flavored, of course. She could never swallow down that deep wheat beer, or the bitter yet sweet soju without spending the night laying next to a toilet.

 

Maybe she envied Byulyi. She was easily one of the prettiest girls in the school, but because she chose to hide herself behind baggy clothing, people often overlooked her. She didn't get involved in nasty rumors and didn't have to plaster a fake smile while greeting new people. In fact, Byulyi didn't seem to be the type to base others on their looks. Byulyi only had to look after herself, and Yongsun wished she could live like that.

 

The microwave dinged and Yongsun poured the contents into a large bowl, placing it on the coffee table. She remembered she forgot to buy beer and snacks like she promised, and groaned. She wasn't prepared for Byulyi to accept her offer.

 

Hopefully, Moon Byulyi is up for an adventure.

 

Who knows how long Yongsun was disassociating on her couch for. Her brain was fried from all the last minute cramming. Forget having an appearance; studying was the worst part of college. Except the frat boys, but that was a completely different story.

 

She always put studying on the end of her to-do list and knows she'll regret wasting this time resting on her couch later. She couldn't bring herself to get up, go to her desk, and study her heart out until Byulyi arrived. But she'd much rather sit here, stare at the white unadorned wall across from her and wait for a knock on her door.

 

Besides, she was planning on taking Byulyi on a walk down the block, so it's only right for her to save her energy.

 

Her eyes were beginning to flutter closed when a knock woke her from her daze. She pushed herself off the couch and rubbed the sleep off her face. The locks to her door were always a to get unlatched. She managed though, opening the door to a fresh faced Byulyi.

 

She was glowing. That kind of glow you have when you've nailed a test or in this case, after a great book.

 

Byulyi wore a backwards navy blue cap, and her hair cascaded down her shoulders instead of her usual low pony-tail. She was wearing an oversized embellished gray sweater and denim pants. Yongsun may had underestimated Byulyi's fashion sense, except for her glasses, they were still nerdy. And now, Yongsun was feeling under dressed.

 

"Hey, Yongsun-ssi. Oh wow, did I wake you up?" She asked with a slight tremor of humor in voice.

 

Yongsun rubbed her eye again, for good measure. "Nope, just daydreaming."

 

"Was it any good?"

 

"I don't remember." Yongsun smiled, it was big and toothy. "Hey --I was thinking we could take a walk to the convenience store down the block. I forgot to buy snacks and beer, then we can come back, have a mini-house tour, then start the movie. Does that sound alright?"

 

"Are you always this talkative after a daydream?"

 

"Yah, I'm trying to make you feel comfortable."

 

"Whatever is fine with me," Byulyi shrugged nonchalantly. Yongsun could feel the energy leaping out of Byulyi's gleaming eyes and confident posture. 'She's just as excited as I am.'

 

Yongsun considered making Byulyi wait while she changed, but then that could give off the wrong intention. Although, Yongsun wasn't sure what her intent is in the first place. She wanted to get to know Byulyi but why did she want Byulyi to think she was pretty.

 

She slipped on her sneakers and locked the door behind them.

 

"Let's go!" Yongsun grinned. They commented on the sunny weather as they exited the building, walking at a leisurely pace, enjoying the sun rays against their skin.

 

Byulyi looked effortless. Her hands shoved in her pockets and her s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter