Chapter One::Note

The Ballroom's Spell

It was a good day for a Monday.  Good in the sense that Joohyun had finished all of her homework, plus the ten-page paper on the economics of the French Revolution that was due next Friday.  And it was only eight o'clock in the evening.

She smiled triumphantly as she finished putting her books and binders into her backpack and let out a contented sigh as she flopped onto her bed.  Now all she had to think about was the note.

That note.

("Hey, Hyunnie, what's up?"  A girl she'd never talked to, yet vaguely recognized – Miyoung? – was talking to her.  The girl's face stretched into a grin as her eyes curved into pretty crescents.

‘Hyunnie?’

Joohyun managed a small smile.  "Um, hi... Miyoung, right?"  Why are you talking to me?  You're usually with your friends, surrounded by... admirers.

The girl nodded – Miyoung it was, then – and giggled before smoothing her school skirt.  She produced a folded slip of paper from her blazer pocket and pressed it onto Joohyun's desk with prettily manicured nails.

"Make the right choice."  She winked perfectly.

And then she was gone.)

Joohyun unfolded the note to read it for the hundredth time.

"Hey girl!  It's me, Taeyeon!  You remember me, right?  (Just in case, I sit next to you in math~ ^^)  Anyways, I just wanted to say that my friends and I have noticed you around recently and we love your personality!  As you know, Girls' Generation is the top in smarts, style, and popularity.  Join our group and we'll teach you everything you need to know about Daeyoung High.  What do you say?  You know, this isn't just a chance we'd give just anyone.  Well, text me!  I wrote my number in your agenda when you weren't looking – check page eighteen!  Let us know, 'kay?

xoxo

Taeyeon Kim of Girls' Generation

P.S. I love love love the drawing of Yonghwa. If you're interested in him, we can help~."

Joohyun pursed her lips as she finished reading.  She pulled out her agenda and flipped to page eighteen.  There it was – nine numbers scrawled in delicate cursive, followed by Taeyeon Kim, GG.  Talk to you soon!

Yeah, talk to you soon, Taeyeon.  Joohyun took out her phone and punched in the numbers, checking back to her agenda for reference.

Quickly, she typed out her message, her hands shaking a little.  (What would her mother say?)

Her finger hovered over the 'send' button for a moment before she tapped the screen and watched the envelope fly away into her phone.

That was it, she thought.  It was done.

-

Music pounded from the speakers.

Taeyeon's phone screen lit up as it vibrated on the counter, a bright beacon in the midst of the dark, throbbing room.

One new message.

She ignored it.  She was busy anyways.

==

Sooo.... this story has finally begun!  Yay!  ^__^

Here we have an introduction to our heroine, Joohyun, a.k.a. Seohyun.  She's new to this school (Daeyoung High, which she actually attended) and still trying to figure things out.  As you can see, she's very studious and conscientious- the kind of girl who would be the "teacher's pet".  But then she receives this letter from Taeyeon, one of the popular girls at school, inviting her to join their clique, Girls' Generation (see what I did tharr?).  She has to make a choice, and she's perhaps being a bit rash in doing this.  Meanwhile, Taeyeon's out partying, and she totally ignores Joohyun's little message- I think this shows that Taeyeon's really not as enthusiastic as she makes seems about Joohyun, and definitely could be setting up for trouble later.  What do you think Joohyun chose?  ^^

Well, I hope this first chapter didn't bore you too much.  I promise that there will be more action in upcoming updates- stay tuned!