Art Lesson

My Inevitable

AUTHORS NOTE: Sorry it's been so long since the last update, I can't promise when the next will be but I do think you guys will like this chapter. As always, let me know your thoughts! Also hope yall are as excited for the tour as I am.

 

Chaeyoung sat at her desk, eating the lunch that her soulmate had silently set down in front of her moments before. She had been on the phone, but had gestured at the food and mouthed ‘enjoy’ with a smile before she left. It was replenishing her energy for the day, exhausted from staying up so late the night before. She took a moment to open the sketchbook Mina had gifted her again, looking at the title and smiling, before shutting it and returning to work. 

 

She wanted to get a design approved before she left for the day, so she could focus on teaching classes at the art studio without stressing over this not being finished. Today was the last day of work in the office for this week, and she wasn’t keen on doing any more work at home. She already had some extra work with helping Jihyo coordinate everything for the mural, in the best case they could start painting next week but she had a feeling it would be a little longer. 

 

While she was coloring in the lines, she felt a yawn coming on and stretched out her arms before turning back to the paper and realizing her eyes were trying to shut against her will. Her eyelids drooped as the room was filled with the quiet scritching of colored pencil on paper. Trying to keep herself awake she blinked rapidly, but it only made her eyes shut all the faster. Before long the room echoed with a light snoring. 

 

************

 

“Mm, what time is it?” Chaeyoung groaned aloud as she attempted to find her phone amid the mess her arms had caused when she had fallen asleep on them. 

 

She takes a look outside the window and sees that it must be late afternoon. She lightly stretches, raising her arms to the sky, before spotting her phone on her desk. She picks it up and turns it on to check the time. The phone clatters to the ground and she stands in a sudden panic.

 

I was asleep for that long? Why do I keep falling asleep in this room? I'm doomed. Chaeyoung thought to herself as she swiped her personal belongings from the desk and into her purse. 

 

She nearly knocked the door off the hinges as she burst through frantically, drawing a few of her curious coworkers eyes as she darted for the elevator. Her eyes glued to her phone as she sent a message to Jihyo letting her know she lost track of time and would be late. She didn’t even look up when the door opened and she rushed in, bumping directly into someone and pushing them to the ground. 

 

“Oh my god, I am so sorry, are you okay?” Chaeyoung asked before even looking at who it was, rushing to put her phone away and help the well-dressed person up. 

 

The suit seemed to be made of a fine material as she touched the sleeves to help them up, only to be met face to face with Mina once they were both standing. A moment of silence lingered between the two as the elevator doors closed, when it began descending it was like a spell had lifted.

 

“Sorry I don't have time to panic over running into you!” Chaeyoung shouted without meaning to as she immediately released her hold on Mina, turning to the elevator buttons and pressing floor one. 

 

“Are you okay? What's the rush?” The CEO asked, and when Chaeyoung glanced at her she chose to ignore the blush on her face only now realizing what she had said. 

 

“I’m going to be late for my other job, hopefully not too late but I still wanted to avoid this if I could since it's an actual class this time.” 

 

“Oh, is it a far drive?” Mina asked.

 

“Not too far, it’s at the studio. I just don’t have a car and I think I’m going to miss my bus.” Chaeyoung sighed. 

 

“Why don’t I take you?” Mina suggested and Chaeyoung turned to her in shock. “What? I don’t have anything more important than you. Let me take you.” 

 

“I really couldn’t ask that of you.” Chaeyoung says, as the doors open and Mina follows her out of the elevator.

 

“Really it’s not a bother. Please, let me drive you.” Mina puts a hand on Chaeyoung’s arm in a comforting manner. 

 

Chaeyoung turns the thoughts over in her head, on one hand she was worried about losing herself in spending more time with Mina, but on the other hand she really didn’t want to be late. 

 

“Alright, let’s go then.” She smiled at Mina before the CEO led her out the doors towards her car. 

 

The car was as nice as she remembered it being, a sleek black outline with red leather seats. She felt like she was entering the pinnacle of luxury as Mina held the door open for her to get in. As she slid onto the seat and Mina gently shut the door behind her, she noticed the new tiger plush hanging from the rearview mirror. 

 

“Can you pull it up on the maps? I don’t know how to get there from here.” Mina asked as she got into the driver's seat. Her natural confidence drawing Chaeyoung in for a moment, before she remembered that she really needed to get to work.

 

****************

 

“It’s as nice as I remember it.” Mina noted as she looked around the studio. 

 

“You know, you didn’t have to walk me inside.” Chaeyoung said as she started setting up the supplies for the painting class. 

 

She was expecting some sort of response, but instead Mina had walked over and grabbed some of the palettes from her hand and started distributing them at the easels already set up. A smile bubbled its way up to her face, and she stopped working for a second to just admire Mina existing in a space so important to the artist. 

 

It made her think of how much things had changed in so little time, how strange it was to be happy Mina was here when not too long ago she wanted to pretend the woman didn’t even exist during her first visit. A quiet voice whispered to her that this was just the bond, and this didn’t mean that Mina wouldn’t leave again. She quickly got back to work in an effort to silence the thought. 

 

The two worked in tandem as they set things up just in time for the students to start walking through the door. Mina took notice at how close all the students seemed to be with Chaeyoung as they happily greeted her before staring warily at the new adult. She took a quick glance to make sure she looked alright, only to remember she was in one of her favorite suits. 

 

Chaeyoung headed over to her as the students began to sit down at their canvases, Mina noted that one easel was left empty. 

 

“Are you sure you don’t have to go back to the company?” Chaeyoung asked her quietly, so the students wouldn’t hear. 

 

“No, I don’t have to go back today. I can hang out here, unless you’d rather I go so you can focus on teaching.” Mina responded, realizing she hadn’t exactly asked if it was okay if she stayed. She watched Chaeyoung’s reaction to the information as her eyes drifted from Mina’s to the empty seat in the circle of easels. 

 

“Have you ever tried it?” Chaeyoung asked, seeming to be debating something.

 

“Painting? Only in school. It’s been awhile.” Mina replied, looking at Chaeyoung with a slight smile as she realized where this line of questioning was heading. 

 

“Is your shirt expensive?” Chaeyoung asked, brushing past her as she headed towards where the students had already grabbed their aprons to protect their clothes.

 

“Not that expensive.” She lied. Now noticing how all the students seemed to be scrutinizing her while Chaeyoung was distracted. She felt dry up in a way she hadn’t experienced since she was in high school and trying to fit in with the people around her. 

 

Chaeyoung distracted her as she suddenly pulled at her suit jacket from behind her, she tried to stop her heart rate from sky rocketing as she shrugged out of the jacket. Turning away from the students to face Chaeyoung in time to witness the artist gently folding the jacket and smiling to herself as she set it on a table. Mina started rolling up her sleeves, noticing the paint stained apron on the table next to her jacket that she was no doubt supposed to put on. 

 

Chaeyoung looked up in time to see Mina’s sleeves mostly rolled up, a light blush blooming on her cheeks. Movement behind the CEO drew her attention in time for her to spot her students making teasing faces at her. She glared at them before turning her attention back to Mina, who was currently putting on the smock. 

 

Mina tried not to be nervous as Chaeyoung helped her tie the apron loosely enough to be comfortable, but tight enough to avoid getting paint on her clothes later. The two of them headed towards the easels and Mina sat down at the only empty seat, ignoring the students on either side of her blatantly staring at the woman interacting with their teacher. 

 

She tried to focus on the lesson, ignoring the students staring at her whenever they got the chance while Chaeyoung explained what they would be painting. She was happy when the students started focusing on their sketches after Chaeyoung announced the prompt was a place that brings you peace. 

 

The first place to come to mind was one she hadn’t visited in awhile. She started sketching the trees, then the flower bushes and benches, the tall vine covered walls followed and soon she had lost her nervousness. Focused on the painting and the feeling of peace the garden always gave her. 

 

**********

It wasn’t long after they started painting that Mina noticed how detail oriented and in her element Chaeyoung seemed to be as she helped instruct the students at spots where they were lost and unsure in what color or style to use. 

 

She was silently admiring her as she took a break from working on her own canvas, only to notice one of the students next to her smiling devilishly at her before calling over Chaeyoung and asking for her help. They weren’t flirting with Chaeyoung, they clearly weren’t interested in her in that way as they no doubt already met their soulmate with the scene they were painting. What they were doing was smirking as if they had one upped Mina by getting Chaeyoung’s attention and a strange flash of jealousy struck her heart. 

 

“I’m struggling a little too.” She lied as Chaeyoung finished helping the student and turned to look at her. Something in Chaeyoung’s eyes told her she didn’t believe her, as she looked down at the grip Mina had on the brush. 

 

She quickly shifted her hold to be an awkward incorrect way of holding the brush as she feigned ignorance at what she was doing. There was a teasing glint in Chaeyoung’s eyes as she approached her and took a look at the canvas. She seemed to hum in approval, before leaning down next to Mina.

 

“No, hold it like this.” Chaeyoung’s breath tickled her ear as her soulmate leaned over her shoulder to correct her grip on the brush. 

 

Of course Mina had painted before, but she would never pass up a chance to get closer to Chaeyoung. She hadn’t expected her to help her so boldly though, taking Mina’s hand in her own to help her mix the paint together before putting it on the canvas. 

 

“So are you really bad at painting, or were you just jealous?” Chaeyoung whispers in her ear, and Mina’s face flushes. “Don’t forget I’ve seen your drawing of me.”

 

“I-” Her voice cracks, too high pitched, drawing the attention of the people closest to them. “I wasn’t jealous.” She quickly whispers back, trying to focus more on the painting than the feel of Chaeyoung’s hand on hers. 

 

“So I can go help someone else the same way I’m helping you now?” Chaeyoung innocently asks, and Mina whips her head to face her, only to see a teasing smile on the artist's face. 

 

She turns back to the painting, wondering where her usual confidence has gone in the presence of her flirty soulmate. 

 

“Don’t worry so much, you’re the only one I want to be this close with.” Chaeyoung kisses her on the cheek as she lets go and heads off to help someone else. Mina misses the warmth, but doesn’t miss the way the high schoolers are giving her teasing looks. She tries to glare, but Chaeyoung did warn her that these are the kids she’s worked with closely for awhile, so when it falls flat she just prays they keep their mouths shut. 

 

“Ms. Son!” One of the ones still making eye contact with her shoots their hand up, and she tries to glare even harder. Attempting to use telekinesis to move their paintbrush to the floor in the hopes it’ll distract them from asking what she thinks they’re about to. 

 

It doesn’t work. Chaeyoung hums a yes, it’s music to Mina’s ears. 

 

“Is she your soulmate?” The question is so abrupt that Chaeyoung drops the palette she was holding. 

 

Mina immediately looks her way to see the cub giving her an indecipherable look. They haven’t talked about telling people who don’t already know yet. Normally, this would be a question quickly answered with a yes and a smile, but they aren’t normal. Mina hadn’t even considered that Chaeyoung might not want to tell anyone. Suddenly her insides are twisting in the worst way, she’s okay with Chaeyoung denying it. But she knows it’ll hurt very badly. 

 

“She is, so don’t too much. Or else I’ll have to show your soulmate the paintings you’ve made of her when she shows up for class tomorrow.” Chaeyoung says, with an air of authority that Mina admires. 

 

Her breathing evens back out, now remembering that she does have lungs that require air to function. A giddy smile makes its way to her face, and the CEO doesn’t bother trying to reign it in. Too busy repeating Chaeyoung’s response in her head as she paints.

 

***********

 

“Thanks for staying, I hope you had fun.” Chaeyoung says, as she cleans up the supplies. Mina had stayed behind to help her clean when the class was over, claiming yet again she had nothing more important to do. 

 

“I did have fun, your students are very…amusing.” Mina smiled to herself in a way Chaeyoung found very endearing as she collected the used palettes. 

 

“So, what was that spot you painted? Is it a real place?” Her curiosity shined through in her voice, she had wondered about the beautiful garden as soon as she had seen Mina’s sketch. 

 

“Yeah, it’s a place I haven’t been to in a long time. Not since I was last in Korea. It was a place I would escape to when everything was too much.” Mina replied, and a silence hung in the air. “Would you be interested in visiting with me one day?”

 

“Is it even still there? It’s been a long time since then.” Chaeyoung stated, before noticing Mina cringe at the statement. She felt the guilt sit heavy in her heart at pointing it out. 

 

“It’s still there. I was funding them when I left so they could continue to keep it open, but I own it now. Well, I don’t run it, but I pay for it so the owners can just focus on taking care of it. I’ve actually been meaning to visit soon.” Mina stated as if owning a beautiful garden was the most normal thing in the world. Chaeyoung considered maybe it would be if she was that rich. 

 

“I’d like to go with you sometime. To see how accurate it is to your painting, naturally.” Chaeyoung smiled when Mina looked up at her with a brow raised. 

 

They quietly finished cleaning and locking the studio, Mina happily offering to drive Chaeyoung home. She couldn’t find it in herself to say no, and was more content that she’d ever felt as she sat in the comfy leather chair with city pop playing on the radio as she admired her soulmate.