chapter four: cheer for me (until the end)

diamante

Minjoo was happy to see two of her friends genuinely happy. She could tell how blooming they were when they went to their usual lunch table, beaming brightly even more. Yeji winced. “Sheesh, I can feel the shift from here.” She then teased them, “Is it really like this when you’re happily in love? Can’t wait to experience that.”

 

Jimin and Chaewon both snorted in sync while Minjoo silently smiled as she ate her pasta. “Well, maybe if you already confessed to Ry—” Chaewon yelped, jumping in her seat that made Minjoo jump in shock too.

 

Yeji glared at her across the table. It seemed like she stomped Chaewon’s foot under the table. “Shut up, you,” She clicked her tongue and shook her head. “I have no plans, besides. I’m good with admiring her afar. I have no chance in the first place anyway.” said the woman.

 

Minjoo tilted her head to the woman that was sitting beside her, “You like Ryujin, huh? Kinda figured it out.” She asked plainly as if she expected it. Much to her surprise, Yeji sounded bewildered upon hearing it from her.

 

“I… Minjoo, is that okay with you? I do not want… I just really admire her like a senior.” Yeji fumbled over her words, and even Chaewon looked amused. Minjoo was confused.

 

“What are you saying? It’s okay with me, of course. I do not mind being the single one in this group,” Minjoo clearly misinterpreted it, and it made Jimin chuckle, her shoulders shaking to suppress a guffaw.

 

Yeji gave her a confused look, “No… not in that kind of way. I mean, something is going on between you and Ryujin, right?” She asked, her voice was low and quiet. Jimin and Chaewon laughed across them.

 

Minjoo gave her the most shocked expression ever, she was flabbergasted at the assumption Yeji said!

 

“In Jesus’ name, what? Yeji, me and Ryujin are only good friends. I do not like her that way.” Minjoo said in disbelief, shocked that her close friend thought that she and Ryujin were a thing.

 

Chaewon smirked, resting her chin on her palm as she looked at Minjoo maliciously. “Because you like the cousin, right?”

 

Minjoo felt her heart freeze, tossing Chaewon a sharp look. “Hell no. What are you guys even saying?” She firmly replied.

 

Jimin faked a sad, disappointed look, shaking her head. “Dear, we all came from that phase too, except for Yeji. Denial has always a bad outcome, it’ll bite you in the once realization slaps you across the face.” She whispered tauntingly with a dreamy sigh.

 

“Oh, you guys stop it…” Minjoo said with a groan, she badly wanted to press her fingers in her ears so she wouldn’t hear her friends’ words and teasing.

 

Relief washed over Yeji, and gave her an apologetic look. “Sorry, I just thought… because you were close and Ryujin is always all over you.” Her voice trailed off, Minjoo almost didn’t hear it.

 

The talk continued on like that until they went back to their own respective classrooms. Yeji and Minjoo, as usual, started to chit chat while waiting for the instructor to arrive. The infamous Diamond Four entered and the classroom turned almost silent.

 

Minjoo and Yujin’s eyes met, and the former immediately looked away and turned to Yeji who was silently looking at Ryujin. But Ryujin… she was also looking at Minjoo. Yeji tried to suppress a sigh and continued to talk to her oblivious friends.

 

When the class was about to start, the teacher announced something first, looking delighted. “Someone familiar will sit in this class.” She said, and beamed. “She even went to the faculty to ask permission and of course, who am I to refuse?” Her eyes then went to the door. “Miss Jang, please come in.”

 

And behold, Jang Wonyoung. She entered the classroom, and everyone let out a gasp. Wonyoung halted in front of the class and smiled at them, “Please, don’t mind me at all. I just want to experience what it’s like to be a Gem again.” She said softly and endearingly, her eyes roaming around until it landed behind Minjoo. Of course, Yujin.

 

With that, the teacher ushered Wonyoung to take a seat and she did, walking past Minjoo. She looked at the latter with an unreadable expression but when her eyes landed on Yujin, they sparkled like the stars when they were in the middle of the night.

 

Wonyoung sat behind Yujin because there was a vacant seat there. Minjeong, Kazuha, and Ryujin started to quietly talk to Wonyoung but Minjoo never picked up Yujin’s voice joining in, only little hums that Minjoo got acquainted with.

 

“Minjoo,” Yujin tapped her back and she flinched. She looked over her shoulder with a bored glare. Yujin arched a brow at her, “I would like to borrow a pen from you.” She whispered.

 

But before Minjoo could even react, Wonyoung already whipped out something from her purse and handed it to Yujin. “Here.”

 

Yujin glanced over at the pen that Wonyoung was handing her, reluctant to get it before glancing at Minjoo who was just intently staring, having no intention to let her borrow one since it was unnecessary since Wonyoung was already lending her one.

 

“Oi, fox,” Yujin suddenly called for her again, quiet enough for the instructor not to hear. “We have a soccer match in two days. You should go watch, we’re going to fight with some private high school.” She said, leaning over a little from her seat so she would be able to hear her. It was actually for the on-going soccer tournament for high school, it already actually started a while ago and Diamond’s female soccer team had been going around places and winning as usual.

 

Minjoo tried not to sigh. She was used to this already, Yujin suddenly talking and annoying her in the middle of the class if she wasn’t whispering with her friends. “I’m not sure, we will have our monthly examination in History and I need to study hard.” She used it as an excuse. “Why are you asking me to come anyway? I’m sure you have a lot of supporters with you that will watch.”

 

Yujin looked like she was almost about to pout. “You’re a great addition to the cheers, I know you can shout your lungs out.” She murmured, and Minjoo tried not to smile because of that. “Cheer for me. Come on now, I’ll help you study in the hideout the next day.”

 

Minjoo was about to answer when Wonyoung butted in again, “I think Minjoo is busy, Yujin. Don’t worry, I’ll shout extra louder for you when you goal.” She said with a wink that made Minjoo’s face drop.

 

Yujin just looked over at Wonyoung with furrowed brows but did not say anything.

 

“Yeah,” Minjoo cleared , feeling something stuck in the back of . “Wonyoung can shout for me.” She agreed, her voice was strained.

 

Yujin pursed her lips together, looking at her in disbelief, as if she was sad. Why would she be? Minjoo just looked away, not getting swayed by those expressive eyes.

 

But Minjoo did watch the match anyway, with the three of course. She would come anyway since Yujin herself invited her so she dragged the three with her and since wherever Chaewon goes, Yena goes… she was there too. Same goes for Minjeong who literally tail behind her girlfriend. Kazuha was nowhere to be found though.

 

They stood by the packed bleachers, and watched the players warm up. There were a lot of people, and there were some outsiders to watch the match too. Diamond was currently open to outsiders because of the on-going competition.

 

“Minjoo?”

 

Minjoo was surprised at the sudden call by a familiar voice, she immediately recognized the person who called her after one look. “Oh, Chaeyeon!” She was happy to see a good friend and former classmate here.

 

They shared a brief hug. She and Chaeyeon used to be classmates in middle school with Yuri but when high school approached, they went to different schools. “It’s great to see you here,” Minjoo softly said with a smile.

 

Chaeyeon remained charming and kind, she even became more attractive. “Me too. So after all, Yuri was telling the truth that you managed to somehow attend the very exclusive Diamond,” She said with her signature bright smile.

 

“Pretty long story, to be honest.” Minjoo just answered lightly.

 

They caught up with one another happily for a few minutes and even introduced her old friend to her new friends. But she was called soon after since she was the captain of the other team. Minjoo wished her good luck and another brief hug.

 

“Well, someone’s already grumpy,” Minjeong snarkily commented out of the blue, looking across the field with a smile.

 

Chaewon smirked because of that, leaning closer to Yena while the latter just wrapped her arm around her waist, also looking at where Minjeong was staring at.

 

Out of curiosity, Minjoo followed their line of sight and saw Yujin who was looking in their direction, looking unamused. From there, Minjoo could see the deep furrow in her brows and the pursed lips as if she was annoyed. When their eyes met, Yujin looked away with a huff before walking towards the bench, brushing her shoulders against Ryujin who was confused because her cousin was suddenly in a bad mood when she looked like she was the happiest woman alive just a few minutes ago.

 

Minjoo sighed in her heart. Yujin and her mood gymnastics. Hopefully, it wouldn’t affect her game.

 

Soon enough, the match started and the whole field was filled with happy cheers as the players entered. The match was going smoothly and to be honest, Minjoo was quite enjoying it and she was intently watching her old friend’s moves. She really improved a lot!

 

Ryujin scored a goal, and Yeji really busted a lung.

 

Then, Chaeyeon got the ball, running towards the goal. But then, Yujin ran up to her, her speed increasing as she ran side to side with her, desperately trying to steal the ball from her opponent. Chaeyeon had a hard time keeping the ball within her feet because Yujin was really trying to hook the ball from her with her foot.

 

“Oh, the captains are on fire!” Yena shouted, enjoying the game.

 

Minjoo was worried though. Yujin looked like a beast but Chaeyeon was a good player too so she was able to match with the former easily. They were both great and seeing them being on fire like this when it had been just a few minutes since the match officially started was edging Minjoo a little.

 

In the end, before Yujin could even slide her foot to steal the ball, Chaeyeon moved it away and swiftly kicked it towards the posts. The goalkeeper didn’t manage to catch it so it was a score. Some outsiders screamed in joy because of that, still not very loud though because the Gems still outnumbered them. 1-1.

 

Even Minjoo couldn’t contain her relief and joy when Chaeyeon managed to do that. She was proud of her friend, and so, she was caught in the moment then shouted for her. “That was a good kick, Captain Lee!” She cheered when Chaeyeon ran past in their direction.

 

Chaeyeon beamed at her, giving her a thumbs up.

 

Yujin saw it and gritted her teeth.

 

When Diamond had the ball, Ryujin passed it to Yujin and the latter started to run to the post, and she was unstoppable. The opponents tried to steal the ball but to no avail, even Chaeyeon was no match at Yujin’s suddenly scary speed. And before anyone could blink, the ball zoomed past the goal.

 

The students of Diamond happily cheered, especially Wonyoung who was near the bench of the players, celebrating with other players. Minjoo had expected this, Yujin was too good at soccer especially if she was serious. She didn’t cheer because there were tons of students who were cheering for her already, and Wonyoung too…

 

However, when Yujin passed by their spot, she looked at Minjoo — as if she was expecting something but Minjoo just stared back, unmoving. So, her expression terribly dropped and when she went back across the field, she looked so pissed which made Minjoo blink in confusion.

 

Minjeong was laughing her out. “What a grumpy wolf! I’m scared that she will destroy the opponent.”

 

The match continued and it became even more heated than before. Minjoo noticed that Yujin had been going around Chaeyeon, and even lightly pushing her whenever they were fighting for the ball as if she was holding a personal grudge towards the woman.

 

No one was even cheering for the opposite team anymore so Minjoo took the matter into her own hands and still cheered for them, especially Chaeyeon who almost got injured at least twice. The score was already 1-4, with Diamond leading and two out of four goals came from Yujin.

 

“Chaeyeon! You’re doing great!” Minjoo shouted when someone from Diamond tried to pass the ball but Chaeyeon caught it, running towards the other post like a raging bull but Yujin immediately caught up with her, looking very pissed.

 

She then did a slide tackle to steal the ball which made Chaeyeon trip, landing on the ground while Ryujin managed to get the ball back. Chaeyeon groaned, and looked over at Yujin who was glaring down at her before running away. It made the latter confused but she stood up and ran after anyway, looking slightly tense.

 

“Chae! Are you good? You’re doing well! Woo!” Minjoo yelled, very worried at her friend. Chaeyeon looked tired and limping already.

 

The crowd roared again and Minjoo didn’t even notice that Yujin scored a goal again after kicking the ball when Ryujin passed it to her. It was the last period already but there were still a few minutes left, however, it was already impossible to catch up with Diamond.

 

But then suddenly, when Minjoo wasn’t expecting it... Yujin walked towards their direction, literally marching towards her with a scowl in the midst of the roaring crowd.

 

She halted in front of Minjoo, standing tall in front of her and Minjoo reminded her of the day they first met. Her eyes were cold but this time, there was a hint of sadness in them that made Minjoo’s heart ache a little.

 

“What are you doing here? The game is still on-going—”

 

“Why aren’t you cheering for us? For me?” Yujin cut her off.

 

Minjoo pressed her lips together. She shivered. Yujin’s tone was intimidating yet not accusing, just pure confusion but Minjoo suddenly felt guilty over that. Yujin looked sad, and gloomy because of that.

 

“Chaeyeon is my friend. I want to cheer for her because almost no one in the crowd was cheering for them.” Minjoo explained calmly, sweating nervously.

 

Yujin’s jaw slackened, “But I was the one who invited you to watch us, and to cheer for me. Why can’t you cheer for me once? To encourage me to play better?” She said, her tone was laced with sadness, her shoulders slumped. “I’ve been waiting for you to cheer for me and shout my name but you kept on yelling another player’s name.”

 

Minjoo felt the butterflies in her stomach rage, her heart was fluttering but at the same time, aching as guilt consumed her. dried up. She clenched her fists, and took a deep breath.

 

Ryujin jogged towards Yujin to fetch her because the coach was already calling for her. The referee was about to approach them too because Yujin was taking too long.

 

“I…” Minjoo opened to speak but there were no excuses that came from it.

 

Yujin huffed bitterly and walked away, entering the field once again. And this time, she played as if she was soulless. And as expected, Diamond won with a huge gap. The match already ended yet Minjoo was spacing out.

 

Yeji draped her arm around Minjoo’s shoulders to comfort her. “Hey,”

 

Minjoo was also soulless, after seeing Yujin look so sad like that. She couldn’t help but to beat herself up, she shrunk under Yeji’s hold. “She looks very sad, right?” She murmured under her breath.

 

Minjeong heard it and did not even sugarcoat her answer. “Yeah, as if the gods turned their backs against her.” Jimin nudged at her, glaring at her because she made it worse.

 

Chaeyeon went up to her, smiling at her while wiping her sweat. They shared at fist bump. “Thanks for the cheer, bestie.” She winked and glanced over her shoulders. “It’s a shame we didn’t win but then… they got Ahn Yujin. I just don’t know why she’s riled up and she’s targeting me.”

 

Minjoo smiled guiltily at her. “Sorry on behalf of that woman.”

 

Chaeyeon smiled meaningfully at her. “She’s jealous, no? Because you’re cheering for her and not for her.” She asked, but she sounded confident at her assumption already.

 

Minjoo’s forced grin dropped, “I, no, she’s not… We’re not—”

 

Chuckling, Chaeyeon winked at her. “I was like that too when Hyewon cheered for a player that isn’t me, so I know, Minjoo.” And the younger woman was silent.

 

Chaeyeon patted Minjoo’s head with a guffaw. “It’s okay, really. Just talk to her, yeah? Calm her down. She looks like she’s going to breathe fire towards me.” She joked before finally bidding goodbye.

 

Minjoo let out a sigh, and looked over at the bench. Her heart surely did drop on the grassy field when she saw Wonyoung wiping Yujin’s face with a towel, her eyes were sparkling and worried. Yujin just let her, looking emotionless, also zoning out as if she wasn’t on Earth with them.

 

Alright, she was going to be really honest. She was being petty earlier and refused to shout for Yujin because Wonyoung was already doing the job. She didn’t want to interfere but all along… Yujin was just waiting for her, but yet… Minjoo failed to cheer her.

 

And now, she was paying the price by witnessing them close like this.

 

Minjoo felt her fists tremble, a bile rushing up in as she watched Yujin and Wonyoung be close like that, as if they were lovers. They looked so sweet and ideal. A hollow feeling in her chest started to intensify.

 

This time… for the first time, Minjoo finally didn’t deny that she was absolutely jealous. Her eyes were green as she stared at them from afar, a dark sensation filling up her heart. She didn’t want them close like that.

 

Oh God, she didn’t even deny anymore. That she was feeling that way.

 

Because of that one realization and recognition of the awful feeling — it was followed by more realization to the point that she was having a hard time breathing. It was overwhelming.

 

Gulping, Minjoo turned around and walked away. Her friends did not bother to follow after, thinking that it was better to leave her alone to think first.

 

Silently, Minjoo walked towards the building and went to Eunbi’s office. The principal was surprised at her sudden appearance, she jumped on her seat and she was arranging some papers.

 

“Oh, Minjoo! I did not expect you to drop by here. Is the match already over?” The principal said, fixing her eyeglasses and focusing on Minjoo who was in a weird mood.

 

Minjoo sat on the chair in front of Eunbi’s desk and the latter turned serious upon seeing her student’s gloomy aura. “The match already ended, Principal Kwon,” She whispered, and her helpless eyes landed on her. “I went here for personal reasons, Principal. I hope you don’t mind.”

 

Eunbi’s eyes softened upon hearing Minjoo plead, and she looked helpless and desperate too. “Of course, sweetheart. You’re no stranger to me. Tell me what’s troubling you?” She softly cooed.

 

Taking a deep breath, Minjoo did not answer at first as if she was collecting her thoughts and everything but then, after a beat… she finally revealed what was bugging her.

 

“Principal, I think I like your niece Ahn Yujin a lot. And I’ve hurt her.” Minjoo confessed to Eunbi and to herself too. This was the first time she ever admitted it, and out loud too. She was helpless and she didn’t know what she would do so she sought Eunbi’s help.

 

And Eunbi wasn’t expecting that, went agape but she recovered immediately. She softly stared at Minjoo because the latter looked like she still wanted to say something.

 

“I was in denial for too long, Principal. After what she had done to me, I refused to accept the possibility and now that it hit me all at once. I’m unsure of what to do.” Minjoo said, biting her lower lip as she played with her fingers nervously. “What should I do?”

 

The corner of Eunbi’s lips tugged upwards and cocked her head at the side. “What should you do? Embrace and accept the feelings, Minjoo. I know it’s very unexpected for you to fall in Yujin but like what wise people said, expect the unexpected.” Eunbi said, and scratched her chin. “You should sort your feelings out first. Hmm, sweetheart? Think of the moments where you started feeling something weird towards my niece? And connect the dots. With that, you’ll be able to see when it started and how it started… and how it bloomed into something deeper than infatuation. You’ll be able to accept your feelings faster upon deeply learning about it.” added the woman then lifted her finger up to poke Minjoo’s cheek.

 

Minjoo attentively listened to Eunbi, and kept nodding, absorbing the advice. Somehow, the embarrassment was already hitting her because she literally went to Eunbi the first thing she finally realized something. It was very embarrassing knowing it was the aunt of the woman she likes! The principal wouldn’t dare to tell Yujin that anyway. She valued respect and she would like Minjoo to tell Yujin herself about her feelings.

 

With a smile, Eunbi beamed at her. “I like you for my idiotic niece. You balance each other so well.”

 

///

 

The same night, Minjoo found herself unable to sleep again. Whenever she closed her eyes, she would see Yujin’s face and it was haunting her. After she finally admitted that she liked Yujin that way, her feelings became even more insufferable. Her thoughts wouldn’t even leave her at all.

 

All of those weird feelings… all along, it meant something. Maybe she knew that it meant something but she was too scared and that was why she became in denial, adamant to refuse the idea that Yujin was making her heart race and make the butterflies in her stomach race by existing alone.

 

But to be honest, Minjoo wasn’t too sure when those eerie and pure hatred became heart fluttering and butterflies. Maybe when Yujin started to treat her nicely, Minjoo was able to see that Yujin was really a good person inside. Maybe when she saw Yujin feeding the stray cats. Maybe when she took care and happily played with Minseo. She didn’t really know, she just woke up, and her heart skipped a beat upon seeing Yujin in the morning at the school.

 

Yujin annoying her became the highlight of her day. It was the first sign.

 

And those ill feelings that she felt when Wonyoung kept popping around them… it was pure jealousy. She cringed but it was her feelings after all. She didn’t really like the way Wonyoung was very close to Yujin.

 

She didn’t even notice that she had been thinking a lot of Yujin even last year. The reason why she started to knit gloves was when she noticed that Yujin wasn’t really good at handling cold weather.

 

Minjoo clutched her blankets tighter. She bit her lip, and thought if she would confess or shove the feelings down. It was impossible that Yujin liked her back, right? And … she was way too out of her league.

 

Yujin was the granddaughter of the exclusive private school that Minjoo was attending, and she was the heiress of a very large company. She had a bright future ahead of her while Minjoo? She was just Minjoo… an ordinary woman who worked at a chicken place to get extra income that got lucky to attend such a prestigious school for free.

 

Minjoo bitterly chuckled when she thought of Wonyoung and Yujin together. They really do match, the princess and the prince. Wonyoung was able to match Yujin in terms of power too.

 

With a sigh, Minjoo tried her best to sleep and ignored the numb pain in her heart.

 

That night, as often as it was — she dreamt of those cold expressive eyes, that bright sheepish grin, that husky voice. She dreamt about Yujin. Solely her.

 

///

 

Yujin was obviously avoiding her. Minjoo immediately noticed.

 

No smirks, no greetings, no teasing, no random bickering. Nothing but silence and cold shoulders, almost pretending that Minjoo wasn’t even existing. Whenever their eyes would meet, the athlete would immediately look away.

 

For days, it was like that and Minjoo just wanted to bury herself alive. She wasn’t used to this, Yujin not giving her attention. It was… infuriating, as if her day wasn’t complete. She was down because of what was happening. However, after realizing her feelings for the latter, she couldn’t even confront her.

 

Her friends finally caught up and decided to ask if she was okay, comforting her.

 

One weekend, they visited Minjoo’s lovely home to make their little gloomy friend happy and comforted and even played with Minseo who was ecstatic because she had new beautiful big sisters. Minjoo finally decided to honestly tell what was bothering her for days already.

 

“I like Yujin,” Minjoo suddenly blurted out, blushing to herself because she managed to say that out loud again and she was reminded once again that she was harboring romantic feelings for the woman she used to hate the most. And it was making her giddy, much to her horror.

 

Chaewon stopped nibbling on her pizza, Jimin turned over her gaze to her from her phone, Yeji tilted her head sideways. The three of them didn’t even look surprised which made Minjoo groan in embarrassment. Was she already showing obvious signs before she could even think of the possibility?

 

“Oh,” Chaewon exclaimed emotionlessly, and took a bite from her pizza, “You like Yujin, and forks are found in the kitchen.” She shrugged nonchalantly.

 

Jimin giggled because of that, “So that’s why you’ve been zoning out and looking so troubled recently. Something finally triggered you, huh? Bet it was when Yujin got upset with you.”

 

Yeji patted Minjoo’s shoulders who was about to curl on the floor. “Got any plans to confess, fox?” She teased, and Minjoo glared at her as if she was saying that Yujin could only call her that.

 

“Do you need help?” Jimin also offered.

 

With a sigh, Minjoo shook her head. “No, I’ll do this on my own.” She said, thankful that her friends were nice and supportive. She brushed her hair with her fingers, slightly frustrated. “Just need a little courage. To be honest, I do want to hide these from Yujin, she might probably relentlessly tease me afterwards if she learns but I do not want to keep it within me either until I explode.”

 

The three looked at each other, silently communicating before finally, Jimin spoke to make Minjoo feel better.

 

“Take a risk, Minjoo.”

 

“Because Yujin already took subtle and silent steps. It’s your turn.”

 

///

 

Minjoo woke up, and it was Monday morning. However, this wouldn’t be a normal weekday! She was planning to make a move and apologize first. Alright, alright. She finally decided to also take a few steps forward. She missed Yujin already, infuriating it was but she was craving for her attention already. And her poor heart was just simply withering as day passed knowing that Yujin was still probably upset.

 

She combed her long hair, wore her school blazer, and looked at herself in the mirror, her eyes flaming in determination. She didn’t know where she got the courage and sudden urge but all she knew was… she liked Yujin, even more than she had thought so.

 

She went to school with determined eyes, and marched down the hallway with an intention.

 

And oh, there was a chance already because Yujin was walking towards her with Ryujin too!

 

Minjoo’s hold around her bag straps tightened, and her heart started to pound harshly against her chest. Damn, since when did Yujin become even much more attractive? Her hair was down, and it was slightly wavy and messy, her tan skin was glistening under the sunlight that was projecting through the open windows of the hallway. She looked too good in the morning.

 

Their eyes met, and as usual, Yujin’s eyes were cold and she just passed through her. No remarks, no teasing gaze, nothing at all! Minjoo’s heart dropped and pouted slightly before looking behind.

 

“Yujin!” She called, and she rejoiced when Yujin stopped on her tracks to look at her.

 

“What?” Wow, her tone was harsh. Ryujin could only silently watch.

 

Minjoo clicked her tongue, “I just want to say good morning.” She sassily said.

 

Yujin’s brow arched, “...Is that it? I need to go now, we have morning practice.” She said, and before Minjoo could even say that she wanted to have a private talk with her, she already turned her body away and walked fast. Ryujin stayed behind though.

 

Minjoo sighed to herself, Yujin didn’t want to prolong their conversation. Her shoulders went slump, and tried her best to lift herself up, she could try again on another day!

 

Ryujin took pity on her and approached her with a smile, “Hey,” She greeted.

 

“Hey,” Minjoo greeted back, weakly.

 

“I apologize on behalf of her. She’s really grumpy these days, and busy too because of practice for the nationals trial.” Ryujin said softly, and Minjoo couldn’t help but to chuckle because of that.

 

“Apologizing on behalf of her, again? I thought we moved on from this phase already.” Minjoo responded lightheartedly which made the both of them giggle.

 

Ryujin shook her head, “Watch our one last match for the trial? If we win, we will advance to the national tournament. That’s Yujin’s goal for her last year in high school, to compete in the nationals.” She suddenly revealed, and Minjoo suddenly lit up.

 

Minjoo nodded almost eagerly, “When and where is it going to be held?”

 

“Here, and on Friday.” Ryujin replied, and Minjoo took a mental note of that.

 

Minjoo shot her a grateful look, “Thanks Ryujin, I’ll keep that in mind.” She then glanced at her clock, “Well, our first class is about to start so I need to go. I’ll assume that you guys are excused?” She said cheekily.

 

Ryujin just hummed and pocketed her hands in her shorts’ pockets. “Have a great day then.”

 

“You too!” And Minjoo sprinted towards the classroom while Ryujin could only watch her disappear from the hallways with a sigh before following her younger cousin.

 

“Seems like she’s making a move… lucky bastard Ahn Yujin.” Ryujin whispered to herself.

 

///

 

Minjoo tried her best to catch Yujin’s attention, and this time… instead of Yujin who would initiate, it was Minjoo who would annoy just so Yujin would give her an ounce of attention.

 

Whenever she would spot the taller woman, she would immediately go to her just to annoy her. Except, if Wonyoung was around. She would immediately retreat.

 

“Yujin,” Minjoo turned around from her seat to face Yujin who was reading a book peacefully. “Do you know that cats sleep 13 to 14 hours or even more than that a day?”

 

Yujin’s brow arched up with a silent hiss, “Yeah, it’s almost common knowledge.” She answered without looking at her. Minjoo was still glad that Yujin would reply to her.

 

“Well, do you know that dolphins kill for fun?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Do you believe in unicorns?”

 

Silence.

 

Yeji was trying to stifle laughter beside Minjoo.

 

Minjoo just snorted and finally let Yujin be but hey, now she was getting the satisfaction that Yujin was getting whenever she used to tease Minjoo. It was… something pleasant.

 

After that, Minjoo started to bother Yujin again by asking if she could borrow her pen and all using the reason that she lost hers but she actually got a lot of those in her pencil case. Yujin just silently lent her an extra one.

 

The next days were almost the same but Yujin was mostly at practice, they could only watch from the bleachers while they ate their sandwich. Minjoo wanted to shout and cheer for Yujin but she had no guts, feeling that it was very embarrassing.

 

Afternoon classes ended peacefully, and Minjoo stood up to stretch. She looked over her shoulders and saw Minjeong and Kazuha that were getting up. Unlike Ryujin and Yujin, they didn’t have anything to do. That was why they were present in the class.

 

Yeji immediately excused herself because she still had a meeting with the debate club so Minjoo just waved at her before going on her way. But instead of going home, she went behind the gym and took out a pack of cat food out of her bag.

 

She sneakily went to the side, easily passing by some other students that were using the gym.

 

When she finally reached her destination in the hidden part of the back of the gym, she was surprised to see that there was a person there — feeding the stray cats. She stood by there, watching her in admiration.

 

Yujin started to pet the cats while she watched them happily munch the cat food she brought. There was a smile on her lips as she eyed them with adoration. Minjoo’s heart melted. Call her shallow but this was definitely one of the main reasons why she unconsciously fell for Ahn Yujin. She got a soft heart despite that cold facade.

 

She watched fondly at Yujin with a smile until she finally revealed herself, walking to her softly and purposely created slightly louder footsteps to warn Yujin with her upcoming presence.

 

Minjoo crouched beside the younger woman who was shocked to see her but she didn’t say anything and continued to pet the cats anyway. Minjoo silently opened the cat food she got and turned to Yujin, “You beat me into feeding them first.” She whispered, to make things livelier.

 

Yujin didn’t speak for a little while. “When did you start feeding them too?”

 

Minjoo smiled, poured a little amount of the cat food and watched the cats sniff it — they started to eat the food as well, happy to get more food to eat. “I would drop by from time to time… I started doing it when I spotted an unexpected certain someone feeding them one time.” She snickered the last part but smiled after anyway, also rubbing a cat’s chin.

 

She just then realized that there were already four of them… that original one kept bringing his buddies with him, it seemed like. It would be fine as long as they wouldn’t get caught by one of the guards.

 

Yujin did not say anything after and just watched the cats. With a sigh, Minjoo didn’t say anything either and crouched there in silence, enjoying the little time she was having with Yujin. It was slightly awkward but Minjoo loved it nonetheless.

 

“Yujin,” Minjoo softly called, finally gathering some courage. “About what happened—”

 

The younger woman stood up, and walked away, leaving Minjoo there dumbfounded. Minjoo sighed softly to herself and pouted, was Yujin that mad because Minjoo refused to cheer for her?

 

“What’s her deal, really?” Minjoo asked the cats who just stared at her and purred at her, approaching to rub themselves onto her legs which made her giggle.

 

After a while, she decided to finally go home since it was getting late. When she approached the gates, she was surprised when someone called for her.

 

“Minjoo,”

 

Minjoo was frozen for a little while and turned around, surprised to see Wonyoung walking towards her, wearing her usual gentle yet intimidating look. She looked very gloomy though, and her eyes were glistening as if she just cried a little while ago.

 

“Jang Wonyoung,” Minjoo nodded in acknowledgement. “What can I do for you?”

 

Wonyoung halted a few steps away from her, towering over her but Minjoo wasn’t intimidated at all. She stared sadly at Minjoo and said, “I’m going back to France tomorrow.”

 

Confused, Minjoo cocked her head sideways. “Uhm, have a safe trip.”

 

Wonyoung pursed her lips together, “And I shot my last shot. Yujin rejected me.” She suddenly said and to be honest, that caught Minjoo forward. That must be the reason why Wonyoung looked like she just cried then…

 

“Sorry to hear that…” Minjoo genuinely said, and although she was confused and this woman felt like a threat to her for these past few weeks — she pitied her slightly because she looked like she really got her heart broken.

 

Wonyoung took a deep breath, looking away. “To be honest, I just came back and stayed a little longer to follow her around because I wanted to try again and see if she started to like me.” She started to confess and Minjoo stayed, listening to the younger woman but admittedly, there was a dull ache in her heart. “But of course, she would never like me that way. She clarified it to me once more and she mentioned that…” Wonyoung shut her lips.

 

Minjoo shrugged it off, and was really feeling bad for Wonyoung. She really did hope and liked Yujin a lot so… she understood the heartbreak and disappointment. Wonyoung looked nothing but defeated.

 

Sighing heavily, Wonyoung shook her head. “No, you two should figure it out on your own…” She murmured which made Minjoo furrow her brows in confusion. Wonyoung smiled tightly at her. “I just want to tell you that you’re indeed beautiful inside out, Minjoo. I’m kind of relieved, and I will go back to France with a heavy yet relieved heart. I trust you.”

 

Minjoo was getting weirded out but she didn’t say anything, just standing there with a purse on her lips.

 

Wonyoung started to walk and passed by her but before she could fully walk away, she said to Minjoo through her shoulders. “Cheer as loud as you can for her tomorrow. That trial is very important to her.”

 

Minjoo clenched her fists at her sides, and turned around to respond. “I will only cheer for her tomorrow, the loudest and the clearest that I can be even if you didn’t tell me.” She murmured with determined, flaming eyes — her voice deeper.

 

Wonyoung just smirked at her before finally walking off, saying no word anymore.

 

///

 

Minjoo just found herself at the bleachers, watching the trial. The team that would win that match would be the one who would go to the nationals and represent Seoul so it was really, really tense. Unlike the match before with Chaeyeon’s team, this one was way more important. It was the key to the national competition after all. Yujin wanted to compete there to fulfill her very goal in high school.

 

Almost everyone in the school was there to support the soccer team, and there were outsiders to support the other team too. Minjoo already saw some girls holding banners for Yujin.

 

Minjoo growled silently, and huffed. She almost forgot how popular and charming Yujin was…

 

She once witnessed someone confess to her before in the open field but Yujin just didn’t pay no mind to the poor girl. She was used to it, obviously. Minjoo heard from Jimin that it was way worse in middle school. Yujin and her friends’ lockers were always filled with love letters. That was why there was a sudden rule not to put anything like that anymore into other students’ lockers and even put a CCTV there.

 

As usual, Jimin, Yeji, and Chaewon were there. Yena too, huddled beside her girlfriend, same for Minjeong who was clinging onto her taller lover while Yeji was beside Minjoo. Kazuha was at the very end, beside Minjeong and Jimin, feeling slightly uncomfortable being that close with Chaewon and Yena.

 

Yujin and Minjoo’s eyes met in the distance, and the former’s eyes sparkled a little when she saw the older woman standing there but immediately looked away. Ryujin just smiled and tapped her back.

 

“She’s watching, do your best.” Ryujin teased.

 

Yujin’s brow arched, “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

 

With a snort, Ryujin lightly kicked Yujin’s bottom. “Oh, sure you don’t.” She said, and Yujin just grumbled something under her breath while glaring at her. “Let’s go to them first.” And before Yujin could decline and run away, Ryujin had already dragged her towards their friends.

 

“Good luck!” Jimin immediately shouted when she saw the two approaching.

 

Minjeong smirked, crossing her arms. “I know you two can do it. Get to the nationals, yea?”

 

Kazuha briefly hugged her close friends, giving them a huge smile. “Don’t let yourselves get injured.”

 

Chaewon gave them a nod and gentle smile. “Good luck in the field, I’m sure you two will dominate.”

 

Yena did a fist bump with Yujin and Ryujin, “Give your best shot, dudes.” She said, and threw a grin at them before going back to her girlfriend.

 

Yeji shyly smiled at Ryujin before at Yujin, “I know you guys will do well…” Her voice trailed off, and felt herself shrink when Ryujin smiled back at her and muttered a small thanks before she looked at Minjoo.

 

With a smile, Minjoo gave her a thumbs up to encourage her. “Fighting, Ryujin!” Ryujin just smiled at her and did a high five because if she would pull the girl into a hug while in the presence of her cousin… ooh boy. It sounded tempting at first though since it would piss Yujin off and make her play more seriously and harshly but she would probably not pass the ball to Ryujin throughout the whole game.

 

Minjoo stared at Yujin, contemplating if she would say something. But when she saw that the two were about to go back, Minjoo panicked and finally said something. “Good luck out there,” She said, and Yujin stopped on her tracks, not glancing but obviously listening. “Don’t let yourself get injured, yea?”

 

After that, Yujin walked away with Ryujin, and Minjoo didn’t see the smile that the former was wearing as she went back to her team.

 

Soon after, the game finally started and there were more crowds than before since this time, they allowed the students to watch the match and canceled some afternoon classes just for this event and to give support to their team.

 

Minjoo winced when a crowd of girls started to roar in sync and it irked her a little that they were cheering for Yujin specifically, going hysterics when Yujin’s name was called by the commentator after getting the ball.

 

Chaewon smirked at her, leaning closer. “Are you going to let them cheer for her louder?”

 

Minjoo huffed and shook her head. “Hell no. I will be the loudest.” She said, and crossed her arms, the corner of her lips tugging upwards when she saw how serious Yujin was as she passed the ball when someone tried to steal the ball from her.

 

Jimin then asked, “Did you bring your secret weapon with you?”

 

Minjoo took the bag from the ground and nodded, finally taking out the ‘weapon’ she brought to this match. She even dragged Yuri with her yesterday to buy this thing.

 

Yujin was focusing on maneuvering the ball towards the goal after her teammate, Doyeon, passed the ball to her when she was open. She was near already and the players from the opposite team were running after her like mad horses but she was faster.

 

“GO AHN YUJIN!”

 

Yujin flinched, losing her momentum because of the ear-shattering shout. No, it was way louder, and it was slightly squeaky and it was booming but Yujin would never not recognize that voice. Even the other players stopped running after her just to look at the source of the sound.

 

There near the bleachers, stood Kim Minjoo, holding a megaphone.

 

Yujin’s brow twitched yet her heart shimmered in delight.

 

Minjoo looked serious, not paying mind to the people who were looking at her curiously and weirdly. She only cares about cheering Yujin with all her might! Until she lost her voice or something.

 

For the first time, Minjoo did not dislike the attention on her, she was even voluntarily doing it so the people would know that she supported Yujin solely. And that she was proud of cheering someone like her. Really a brave move for someone who liked to keep it low and someone who hates people’s gazes over her.

 

“Ahn Yujin with jersey number 9! The captain of Diamond’s female soccer team! Get em’, you ace!” Minjoo took a deep breath after that cheer, her voice was enhanced and way louder.

 

Minjeong had her ears covered, wincing and glaring at Minjoo. “Jesus Christ! She really brought a whole megaphone!?” She scoffed in disbelief. Even the other students who were near Minjoo were covering their ears to protect their eardrums from exploding.

 

Kazuha let out a huge guffaw until her stomach hurt, “Goodness, she’ll love this for sure. She’s loving it now!”

 

The commentator laughed on the mic, “Well, there’s a Yujin superfan there!” He said, amused.

 

Yujin snorted, also amused that Minjoo whipped out a megaphone and cheered loudly for her. She shook her head in disbelief and started to run again, almost forgetting that she was in the middle of the match.

 

But her heart was beating loudly, and it wasn’t just because she was running and playing soccer…

 

Minjoo shrieked on the megaphone when Yujin scored a goal which was unsurprising. People around her started to cover her ears once again, hissing at her. “Holy !” She cussed, and raised her fist in the air out of happiness. “Keep up the good work, Ahn! Or I’ll bust your .”

 

Jimin and the others were already dying out of laughter because Minjoo’s comments were genuine and she looked purely happy. Even though the commentator was also chuckling at Minjoo, he reminded the woman. “Hey, student superfan. Please, mind the language, the instructors might get mad and suspend you for cheering such bad words using a megaphone.”

 

“Sorry! I just got a little bit carried away.” Minjoo apologized, still using the megaphone, earning little giggles from the crowd.

 

Yujin smiled but it didn’t last long as she jogged back to her original spot. Doyeon was teasing her already and she tried to look unamused and everything but deep inside her… she was liking how Minjoo cheered for her, and the loudest too. All for her. Ryujin was the only one who could see through that cold, stubborn facade.

 

Ryujin ran up to her, wearing a meaningful smile. “Wish there was someone who could cheer me as loud as Minjoo. Liking it so far?” She asked, teasing her.

 

Yujin growled at her, “Find someone then,” replied the woman, slightly annoyed before adding. “And no. She’s quite distracting.” She lied through her teeth. She was actually enjoying it, loving it even — that Minjoo was shouting at her and encouraging her.

 

Her cousin barked out a laugh, “I can tell her to tone it down.”

 

Giving her a sharp look, Yujin scoffed. “Don’t even bother.”

 

Minjoo continued to cheer with her megaphone and only rested when the ball was on the opposite team, she didn’t bother to boo at them since it was very disrespectful but when the ball was on the Diamond’s side and it was with Yujin — she would go wild.

 

At some point, Eunbi (who was present as well) went to her. “Insanity,” Eunbi looked horrified. “You know, the president is here watching. Thankfully, he’s amused at you and not annoyed at all.” She said, and Minjoo was flustered, almost embarrassed but then Eunbi leaned down to whisper something. “But continue on, my niece is loving it for sure.”

 

One of the players on the opposite side was running with the ball but suddenly, Yujin slide tackled her and the ball went in Ryujin’s direction so the latter got it, running for the goal.

 

“Wooo! What a beautiful steal, really, Yujin!” Minjoo commented happily.

 

Yena shook her head in amusement while filming Minjoo, “She’ll go viral if I ever post it on social media!” She laughed.

 

The match continued on and Minjoo diligently cheered for Yujin. Her heart was happy enough whenever she would see little reactions from Yujin whenever she would shout something. And finally gave her a glance from the field when Minjoo shouted, “Captain, you’re so hot for scoring two goals in a row!”

 

Not surprisingly enough, Diamond easily won the game with a whooping 4-1 score and everyone was in bliss, they were celebrating because their team would compete for the nationals. Those three goals were from Yujin so she was very ecstatic.

 

Minjoo looked so proud as Yujin’s teammates and coach huddled to have a group hug, squishing the happy and giddy Yujin in the very middle. Minjoo was simply proud and everything, she looked at her from the corner with a big and smitten smile.

 

Chaewon nudged her, “You look happier than Yujin that her team ascended to the national competition.” She teased, and Minjoo just shrugged and smiled sheepishly.

 

Minjoo looked over the skies and it was orange already, it was already getting darker and the students started to go home after that heated match, also happy that their team had won but it was almost expected because they got THE Ahn Yujin after all.

 

Of course, Minjoo didn’t go to Yujin and decided to let her be first and celebrate with her teammates so she stayed at the corner and waited but there was an unexpected person that came to see her.

 

It was an old man but despite his old age, he looked well-poised and calm — looking very intimidating too but his eyes were kind. He was tall too and didn’t look like his age, he looked even younger in all honesty. Eunbi was walking beside him. Minjoo recognized him from the pictures that were plastered on the hallway of the buildings.

 

Minjeong immediately bowed and greeted the man with a hug, same for Kazuha and Jimin. “Oh, old man, you really came to watch that brat.” said Minjeong and they were almost shocked that the woman called him that.

 

That was the president, wasn’t he!? Why…

 

President Ahn chuckled at Minjeong, “Of course, she asked me to come and watch her victory! My granddaughter never disappoints, really.” He said endearingly, and Minjoo’s heart warmed because of the soft comment.

 

Jimin smiled at him, “President, it’s been a while since I’ve last seen you. Are you healthy and strong?” She said with a smile.

 

The old man huffed arrogantly but not in a bad way. “I always made sure to be healthy, do not worry about my health, child — I’m perfectly fine, as you can see.” He then snickered, “I like how formal you are but your little lover here is very rude.” He playfully said which made them all chuckle.

 

However, his wrinkled eyes landed on Minjoo and he turned serious, for some reason, Minjoo started to sweat. She bowed to greet the president of the school.

 

“You must be Kim Minjoo,” He said in a light tone, nodding his head in acknowledgement. “I never got to personally say my thanks for saving Eunbi from that mess. Thank you, Kim Minjoo.”

 

Minjoo shook her head, and laughed nervously. “Please, president. I just did what I needed to do at that time… I should be the one who’s thanking you too for letting me attend this school.”

 

He looked pleased at Minjoo’s answer. “I’ve seen the report of your grades and performance in classes. I’m impressed, you deserve it, Minjoo-ssi. The only bad thing that happened was when you had a dispute with my granddaughter for a month.” He pointed out.

 

Embarrassed, Minjoo bowed to apologize. “I’m sorry for my childish acts and hurting your granddaughter.”

 

The president laughed after staring at her in amusement. “No, no. No need to apologize. I know my granddaughter well so it’s alright. After all, it has been settled now too, yeah?” He said, and there was something under his tone that made Minjoo extra nervous. “You even cheered for her loudly! I appreciate it so much. I’m sure Yujin loved it a lot.”

 

Minjoo couldn’t even answer, and the president just patted her shoulders before talking again to the other students, which made her less tense. After a little bit, he decided to finally go because he still needed to do some check up but before he could even go, he looked at Minjoo again.

 

“It’s really nice meeting you, Kim Minjoo-ssi. I’m expecting to see you around with my granddaughter very frequently soon.” He said with a malicious teasing tone, and with that, he walked away with Eunbi winking at her and mouthing, ‘you did great, he likes you for her’.

 

Goodness, she didn’t even know what the hell happened!

 

Jimin approached Minjoo, “Hey, we’re going to go home… are you going to stay and wait for Yujin?” She asked softly.

 

Minjoo nodded, she would wait for Yujin and finally have a talk with her. She would use force if needed. And she was planning something else too, it needed to be done today or she would burst. “Yeah, I will. Get home safely.”

 

And they all bid their goodbyes. Yeji stayed too, saying that she had something to get in the debate club room and talk with the registrar so Minjoo was left alone there, hiding behind the bleachers, watching Yujin and her teammates — smiling whenever Yujin’s eyes would roam around, as if she was trying to spot someone… or rather, something.

 

A while after, there were no people left in the field anymore, only Minjoo who was sitting at the bleachers near the gym’s door. She just looked at the players who went out of the gym to go home, freshly showered. There were shower stalls in the gym for the students, of course.

 

Ryujin went out, and spotted Minjoo almost immediately. She approached the woman who also met her halfway, looking behind her as if she was expecting that Yujin would come out with her.

 

With a smile, Ryujin greeted Minjoo. “Hey, nice cheer, by the way.”

 

Minjoo’s cheeks turned red. “Thank you. You did well too.” She replied cheekily.

 

Ryujin glanced back at the gym and then to Minjoo, suppressing a sigh, she said. “She’s inside. She’ll come out soon now, she’s just turning off the lights.” said the woman so Minjoo nodded at her. “I’ll take my leave now. I’m sure the two of you have something to talk about.”

 

Minjoo gave her a tight smile, “Yeah, we do…”

 

Ryujin walked away and Minjoo waited at the side, playing with her fingers nervously. She saw the lights in the gym flicker out one by one so Yujin was definitely almost done. She prepared herself and tried her best to calm down.

 

Soon after, Yujin went out of the gym, closing the door shut — her hair was still drenched, wearing fresh clothes, and holding a gym bag. She almost lost her grip on it when she turned around, Minjoo greeted her — wearing a very serious look with no intention of letting her go.

 

“Let’s have a talk, Yujin.” Minjoo firmly said.

 

Sighing, Yujin knew that this confrontation couldn’t be avoided. She was actually going to talk and approach Minjoo after but she lost sight of the latter… she even thought she went home already.

 

“Sure, I have something to tell you too.”

 

And there, they just found themselves at the corner of the field — coincidentally, the same spot where they first met.

 

Yujin placed the bag on one of the bleachers and looked over at Minjoo who was staring right ahead at the field. Thankfully, it wasn’t dark there because the huge lights were still on, lighting up the whole place. The moon was already at sight, and fireflies were slowly appearing at the darker parts of the field.

 

“Thanks for cheering me earlier. It’s not necessary but thanks, I guess.” Yujin whispered, approaching Minjoo.

 

The older woman turned around, and smiled cheekily at her. “Was it loud enough?”

 

Yujin suppressed a sigh, “Yeah. You almost broke my eardrums.”

 

Minjoo let out a giggle, and there was silence, staring right ahead on the field without saying something to each other yet. They stood there, wordless, until Minjoo finally broke the silence herself.

 

“I just want to apologize for disappointing you in your previous match.” Minjoo apologized, guilt lacing around her voice. Yujin cleared because of that.

 

“Who said you disappointed me?” asked Yujin.

 

Minjoo’s eyes squinted at her. “You ignored me for a week after that and gave me cold shoulders, Yujin.”

 

Playing it cool, Yujin shrugged. “I was just busy.”

 

“I was just busy.” Minjoo mimicked in a mocking tone. “Anyway, yeah, just take my apology… please.” her voice turned gradually weak.

 

With a sigh, Yujin looked away and crossed her arms. “You already made it up to me by cheering me earlier. It’s all good now.” She finally surrendered, feeling her heart softened because she felt that Minjoo was genuinely sorry and guilty. “To be honest… I was the problem here, it was a selfish request and I had the guts to throw a fit over that small matter.” Yujin suddenly blurted, scratching her chin awkwardly. “Sorry for ignoring you.”

 

Minjoo chuckled weakly, “At least we’re good now. We’re even.”

 

And silence once again. It was slightly comfortable now though, unlike earlier, it was obvious that they were both tense. However, after that apology, as if there was a shift in the air.

 

But… Minjoo was still nervous, and her hands were shaking. Yujin immediately noticed that and mistook it for cold, so she said, “How about let’s continue talking in the hide-out? It seems like you’re cold…”

 

“No!” Minjoo’s voice was higher than expected, well, she was even more nervous. Her eyes shook and coughed, “I mean, I’m alright. And I think if I will still delay it… I won’t have the guts to tell you about it anymore.” She said, and she was dead-serious so Yujin straightened her back.

 

“I see, alright then, whenever you’re ready…?” Yujin was absolutely clueless.

 

Minjoo took a deep breath and hung her head down low, “G-Give me a minute, alright? I’ll just muster up some little courage.”

 

Yujin just stared at her silently and smiled at her silly act. She could hear the older woman murmuring something to herself but it was almost inaudible so she had no idea what it was all about.

 

A few minutes later and Minjoo wasn’t still looking up so Yujin got impatient and decided to speak first, “How about I go first, yeah? I have something important to tell you. Listen up carefully, Kim Minjoo.” She suddenly spoke, her voice was laced with seriousness.

 

With that, Minjoo finally tilted her chin to meet Yujin’s serious and attractive eyes. There was a glint of something that made Minjoo’s heart skip a beat.

 

Yujin started to play with her fingers nervously, and Yujin was rarely nervous. Yujin was always proud and confident, she feared nothing so the sight of her fidgeting like this was something new to Minjoo’s eyes. Quite adorable, actually.

 

“Look, it took me time to realize this but it finally punched me in the face a week ago when I threw a fit over you not cheering for me but for someone else.” Yujin started off, nibbling on her lower lip, suddenly there was hesitation in her eyes. “I would like to properly apologize first for ignoring you… I was, let’s say, reflecting regarding my actions.”

 

Minjoo was silent, eyeing her carefully.

 

With a sigh, Yujin took a step forward closer and Minjoo’s heart froze, a beat started to miss. “I was jealous that you cheered for Chaeyeon happily like that instead of me.” She straightforwardly said that made Minjoo almost choke on nothing. “It irked me, it irked me so bad that you kept shouting for your friend’s name yet you couldn’t even look at me. I wanted you to cheer for me like that too. I want you to cheer for me, only.” And there was a possessive tone in her voice.

 

Eyes wide, Minjoo stared at Yujin in disbelief. Somehow, there was a brush on her heart. Jealous? Yujin was jealous? Wait, hold on. What. Wait, Minjoo was malfunctioning and panicking. Why does that revelation make her want to smile?

 

Suddenly, the world stopped and the surroundings started to disappear. Minjoo could only see Yujin, and Yujin could only see Minjoo.

 

“Kim Minjoo, you annoyed me to the core at first but that feeling gradually turned to something else entirely that I did not expect at all…” Yujin whispered, and another step forward, Minjoo tilted her chin upwards slightly just so she could have her gaze glued onto the younger woman. “I don’t know where it started but… I picked on you just because I want to elicit such reactions from you that are endearing for me to look at. I’m an awkward and in denial piece of who couldn’t even bring myself to accept that I mainly picked on you because I wanted, I craved, your attention on me. Even if it was in a negative way. That’s my way of getting your attention to be on me.” smoothly said Yujin, and to be honest, Minjoo’s brain was having a hard time sinking all of those words.

 

All this time… Yujin was just picking on her before so she could get her attention.

 

Yujin coughed, looking away as shyness attacked her at full force. “I… then, I realized that being friends with you is much better, I felt closer and I could tease you without hurting you.” She continued on, cringing to herself. “And that… made everything worse, you became too nice to me, you smiled genuinely at me… I got to know you more.” She then let out a dreading sigh.

 

Another step, and Minjoo’s heart skipped a beat, she could smell Yujin’s perfume mixed with a bath gel that she just used when she took a shower. Butterflies filled and raged in her stomach. Her soul tingled, and she could feel herself reddening.

 

“And I fell harder, I fell relentlessly, I fell into you.” Yujin whispered, and looked Minjoo straight in the eyes, piercing her soul. “Yes, Kim Minjoo. I, Ahn Yujin, like you a lot. Laugh all you want, but there’s nothing more I want to do right now but to own you and kiss you.” She confessed.

 

Was that fireworks that Minjoo heard coming from inside her heart?

 

Minjoo stared at her dumbfoundedly, pleasantly surprised at the sudden turn of events. She was supposed to be the one who’s going to confess but Yujin beat her to do it?! She never expected this at all. Minjoo just wanted to be honest and wanted for Yujin to know about her feelings yet here she was, getting something more than she bargained for.

 

Look, she never really… wished that Yujin liked her, sure, she hoped but this? She never really thought this would happen at all, and she was beyond shocked upon hearing the confession herself. She didn’t know what to react and everything, she was rooted and trying to process what happened.

 

Yujin stared at her, getting slightly worried. “Hey, is the idea of me liking you in a romantic way disgusted you to the point you couldn’t even function?” She joked, letting out a bitter chuckle. “Don’t worry, I’m not asking you to accept and return my feelings. I just want you to be aware and I—”

 

“If you mean those words, kiss me right now, Ahn Yujin.” Minjoo cut her off, her voice was firm yet low, enticing and challenging.

 

It was Yujin’s turn to freeze, looking at Minjoo as if she heard something ridiculous. Did she hear it right? “Come again?” asked Yujin nervously, afraid that she might be hallucinating.

 

Minjoo was the one who took a step forward this time, “I said,” She firmly said. “If you really mean those words you’ve said, kiss me right now.” She repeated, much more serious and challenging than earlier.

 

Yujin was dumbfounded for a moment but then, she just found herself reaching for Minjoo’s waist, pulling her closer to her until there was no space between them. And then, she leaned in to capture those lips that she had been wanting to claim and kiss endlessly.

 

Minjoo smiled, and just pulled Yujin closer instead of pushing her away.

 

Who would know that they would end up like this when they were just about to strangle each other to death a few months ago? However, both weren’t complaining with the sudden change of their relationship. They could always continue teasing each other while being intimate like this but the old them couldn’t pull each other close like this and kiss, only fight each other. And who would know? They would have their first kiss on the same spot where they first had their unfortunate encounter that made them loathe each other at first?

 

The moon above glinted, and the stars twinkled. The fireflies that were flying around were flashing their ‘lights’, surrounding them. And the spotlight was on them, it was the most romantic thing ever.

 

Yujin pulled away, almost hesitant. It was just a simple kiss and nothing more, it would be better if things were clear between them before they indulge themselves into something more.

 

“Minjoo?” whispered Yujin, as if she was asking for reassurance.

 

Minjoo grinned at her, her eyes still closed and feeling giddy. She tipped on her toes then pressed a kiss on the corner of her lips. “If you still didn’t get it through my kisses…” She joked, pinching Yujin’s nose lightly.

 

Yujin just stared at her, lips pursed.

 

Minjoo rolled her eyes, and coiled her arms around Yujin’s neck. Yujin yelped, and her face started to go red. She was shy and giddy too, but despite that, her arms s around Minjoo’s waist as if they belonged there.

 

“Ahn Yujin,” whispered Minjoo, and Yujin could feel a shiver running through her spine. “I like you too.” She finally confessed, and Yujin suddenly fell down on the grass, looking at her in shock.

 

Minjoo was dumbfounded but alerted, immediately kneeling before the fallen bewildered woman. “Yuj!?” She was surprised at Yujin’s reaction, and held her shoulder.

 

“Are you serious right now?!?” Yujin blurted out in disbelief, covering , the tips of her ears red. She really looked like she wasn’t expecting it either at all.

 

Minjoo snorted, “God, I asked you to kiss me and you’re asking me if I was serious!? I should be the one who’s falling down after your confession, Jesus,” She grumbled softly, and caressed Yujin’s cheek, feeling slightly shy as the latter’s gaze was on her. “Come on, get up, you big baby.” added the woman with a sigh, and tried to pull her up.

 

However, Yujin just pulled her down with her so with a yelp, she fell between the younger woman’s legs as she got hugged. “Minjoo…” Yujin whispered with her deep voice, and Minjoo trembled, gulping as she held Yujin’s back for support. Yujin broke the hug and held her by her arms, looking at her with determined eyes. “Can I court you?” asked the woman.

 

Looking away, Minjoo was flushed. “N-No need to? I mean, you already caught my heart by all your teasing and everything.” She reasoned out, but she was just actually panicking.

 

Yujin looked at her, tilting her head a little. “I want to do this right, Minjoo. I’ll get your attention properly. Let me court you at least.” She said, and the older woman hissed because of how hard her heart fluttered with that.

 

It wasn’t really needed, to be honest, but Minjoo thought it might be for the good too. They would know each other well through this, and maybe Minjoo was liking the idea of Yujin pampering her instead of teasing her now to get her attention. Although those bickerings were still the highlight of her day, she would like to be spoiled by Yujin in other ways.

 

“Okay, fine,” Minjoo sighed, surrendering with a smile, pinching Yujin’s cheek. “I never expected you to have something for me too.” said the woman dreamily with a giggle. Too good to be true, she was just literally denying her feelings for the woman days ago but now, she was close with her like this in the grassy field, under the spotlight.

 

Yujin sighed, moving her hand around Minjoo’s waist. “And here I am, thinking that I might be being obvious already,” She murmured, pulling Minjoo closer to her greedily. “I never expected to fall for you either, you’re always annoying me, baby. The real shock is that you like me back.”

 

Minjoo flinched at the endearment, her whole body turned red upon being called like this. “I was surprised as well when I started to act and feel weird things when it comes to you. Expect the unexpected, I guess.” She said then hummed, burying her face on Yujin’s shoulder, inhaling her scent. Her butterflies shimmered. “I like you a lot, you rascal.” She whispered.

 

Yujin then pulled her down with her again until Minjoo was practically laying above her, cushioning her weight, while she was on the grassy field, not even minding if she just showered and she was going to get dirty again. Minjoo just stared down at her, slightly agape, her beauty blinding Yujin and making her giggle.

 

The younger woman cupped her cheek with a dreamy smile on her lips, dimples poking out deeply. “Can I kiss you again even though I’m just starting to court you?” She asked adorably.

 

Minjoo stared down at her for a moment before tucking her hair behind her ear then leaned down herself to press a kiss on Yujin’s lips. Yujin was taken aback for a second yet she relaxed and smiled against the kiss, holding Minjoo close with her, as if she didn’t want to let go.

 

After that, Minjoo pulled away and their eyes met before they burst out laughing. The older woman gently rolled herself away from Yujin and laid down beside her on the grassy field, using Yujin’s arm as a pillow as they stared at each other with happy meaningful gazes, their hearts beating and fluttering in sync.

 

The happy pair started to talk about random things, pointing at the stars above them and the stray fireflies that were glowing around the field. They sat under the moonlight, ignoring the slightly itchy feeling on their backs and legs, thankful that there were no mosquitoes around.

 

“When did you start liking me, Yuj?”

 

“I was already attracted to you when I first saw you but I fell hard when we got punished for causing a scene in the cafeteria and played around with you. I genuinely felt happy that day, and things started to shift from then on.”

 

“Oh really?”

 

“Yeah,”

 

“Hmm.”

 

“Can you kiss me again, Joo?”

 

“You’re getting too much.”

 

“You like me anyway, a lot too, let me emphasize that.”

 

“Ah, seriously, Ahn Yujin. I know you’re going to be extra annoying after this.”

 

“I can’t live without teasing you.”

 

“Whatever.”

 

“Whatever, indeed. Can you kiss me now?”

 

“So demanding…”

 

///

 

From the other side of the field, where it was dark and hidden, a person stood. She was silently watching the pair giggle and kiss each other happily while stargazing as if they had their own world. She took a deep breath and sighed heavily, feeling her heart slightly ache in her chest.

 

Once again, her cousin won. Yujin won again and surpassed her once more without even making an effort. Ryujin tried not to think of it bitterly but maybe this was just meant to be. Yujin getting the captain position of their soccer team, Yujin taking up the first spot before her in terms of academics… and now, Yujin managed to sweep off the woman she likes’ feet easily.

 

Ryujin sadly looked at them, envious. It wasn’t just meant to be, her being Minjoo’s partner, the one who she would giggle with and share kisses with. It was Ahn Yujin.

 

Kim Minjoo is for Ahn Yujin, and Ahn Yujin is for Kim Minjoo, since the very beginning. Shin Ryujin is just a coward someone who’s going to witness their love story unfold at the side, and keep her feelings with her.

 

Ryujin didn’t even notice another presence walking up to her, maybe she did, but she didn’t really just care.

 

“They look so happy,” The person beside her muttered.

 

Ryujin did not flinch nor react, keeping her eyes glued to the pair who were laughing at something that Yujin said. This was the first time she ever saw Yujin that happy… her cousin might be mischievous and cool but she rarely laughs happily like that as if she was the happiest. Minjoo, too. It was very obvious. Even when Minjoo was still in denial with her feelings for Yujin, Ryujin already noticed how eyes would light up whenever Yujin would ask for her attention.

 

Ryujin kind of wishes that she hit Minjoo with the ball instead and get hit in the face too in return that day. Maybe, just maybe… Minjoo would fall for her instead.

 

“They look happy indeed,” She tried not to be bitter about it. She finally looked down at the person beside her. “Why are you still here, Yeji?”

 

Yeji turned to meet her gaze with a smile. “Just to confess and risk,” She said, and directly added, “I like you, Ryujin. Do you want to try it with me instead?”

 

Ryujin was dumbfounded at first, her heart skipped a beat. It was too shocking for her, Yeji was direct and hopeful. That was something she never expected. To be confessed on by a friend while she was watching the woman she likes be happy with her cousin.

 

Ryujin stared silently at Yeji who was just staring at her with a gentle smile across her lips. Hwang Yeji was lovely, and she was nice. And she would make a great lover. However, she couldn’t afford to hurt such a good friend, especially that she was still into another girl.

 

“I’m not sure about that, Yeji.” Ryujin just answered.

 

Yeji’s smile widened, “Well, you still have no answer then. It’s okay, I can wait.” She said positively that Ryujin was in awe, the latter could only sigh but did not speak.

 

They both stared at Yujin and Minjoo who were just tickling each other and tackling each other on the ground while giggling. Yeji sighed at the sight and glanced at Ryujin who had an indifferent expression on her face.

 

Yeji went behind Ryujin and used her hands to cover the woman’s eyes, startling her a little. “You shouldn’t be looking at them intently like that…” She whispered. “We should go home, Ryu. And let them have their moment, we already witnessed enough.”

 

Gulping, Ryujin nodded, and let Yeji drag her. For a moment, the ache faded when she smelled Yeji’s bubblegum perfume and when she saw her genuine smile. With that, they walked to the parking lot.

 

“Have a nice night, Ryujin.” Yeji bid her goodbye and was about to go home after walking with Ryujin to her Mustang.

 

Ryujin watched Yeji start to walk off. Taking a deep breath, she spoke. “Yeji,” She called, and so, Yeji immediately looked over with a curious pucker on her lips. The corner of Ryujin’s lips tugged upward a little but caught herself before it could even form a small smile.

 

“Hop in, I’ll drive you home again.”

 

///

 

“How was the finals?” asked Yujin once she saw Minjoo from the other side of the field, she jogged towards the person she was pursuing with a big grin.

 

Minjoo chuckled, “Great. I had a very useful and helpful study buddy with me.” She teased, and grabbed a towel, dampening it on Yujin’s sweaty face. The latter just smiled dreamily at her and leaned in to the touch.

 

Minjoo took the finals a day late because of some school matters she had to attend for the Principal. Before the last exams, she and Yujin studied together, considering it as a date too.

 

It had been a few months already since Yujin and Minjoo confessed to each other and ever since the former started to court her beloved. At first, it was slightly amusing and bewildering but along the way, Minjoo got used to a very sweet Yujin who spoiled her with gifts and affection.

 

Every morning, without a single fail, Yujin would fetch her from her house and whenever Minjoo came back from the cafeteria to eat lunch with her friends, there was a gift and flower on top of her desk with a note that came from Yujin.

 

It caused a stir, and to be honest, it frightened Minjoo a bit but she got used to it when she realized that no one ever really talked bad about her and Yujin. And if there was, Yujin would definitely do something about it. And of course, they weren’t free from the relentless teasing of their friends and Principal Kwon who would always give Minjoo scandalous looks whenever they met. Yuri was still freaking out about it.

 

All in all, Yujin was great. And God knows that Minjoo was very deep into Yujin too. She just kept on falling and falling harder. Their dates would be babysitting Minseo, feeding stray cats, studying, grabbing coffee, and spontaneous road trips.

 

And Minjoo was happy. She was just waiting for Yujin to finally ask her again and they were going to be official already.

 

“Oi, Capt’, we need you here now. Lovey-dovey session is saved for later!” Hyunjin shouted with a hint of teasing under her tone.

 

Yujin growled under her breath and Minjoo just chuckled, “Go now, and have some fun for the last time. This is your last practice as the Captain and playing for Diamond before you graduate.” Minjoo softly urged her, poking her cheeks.

 

With a pout, Yujin just nodded, “Alright. Wait for me, okay?”

 

Minjoo hummed, and watched Yujin jog towards her teammates, smacking Hyunjin playfully on the head. She smiled and just shook her head endearingly, oh, how lovely. She suddenly thought of watching Yujin’s every match for the nationals and how she cheered her out loudly. Diamond ascended to semi-finals but unfortunately lost but Yujin wasn’t too sad about it, they did their best after all. She wondered if Yujin would join football in college, she should ask about it soon.

 

“Why aren’t you guys official yet?”

 

Minjoo looked beside her and saw her friends approaching her with their usual teasing smile. She pouted, and answered Jimin who threw her the question. “We will be, soon.”

 

Chaewon snickered, “Why don’t you take the initiative?”

 

Yeji laughed with her. “Yeah. I’m sure Yujin will be more than ecstatic.”

 

Minjoo shook her head, “Then this courting will lose its meaning, right? I’ll wait for her to ask again.” She countered and the three hummed because Minjoo made a valid point.

 

Soon, the practice was over and some were emotional because it was their last practice as a team since Yujin, Ryujin, and Hyunjin would graduate already in a few days' time. Minjoo waited for Yujin at the side, proud of her soccer captain. Yujin did great leading the team and led her team to a lot of victories.

 

After that, Yujin happily ran towards Minjoo like a puppy approaching her owner and held her hand. Minjoo smiled at her. “You did great, my Captain.” Yujin’s ears turned red instantly, grinning ear to ear.

 

Thankfully, her friends were already fetched by their own respective girlfriends while Yeji was out to meet with the debate club one last time. Ah, speaking of.

 

Minjoo waved at Ryujin to catch her attention, she instantly caught it. “Ryujin, Yeji wants to tell you that the debate club has one last meeting. She said that you should follow along,” She relayed, and Ryujin smiled timidly at her, not saying anything. With a genuine smile, Minjoo said. “You did great too, Ryujin. You’re an awesome athlete.”

 

Smiling, Ryujin just chuckled as she shook her head. “Thank you, Minjoo.” She whispered, genuine.

 

With that, Yujin and Minjoo made their way towards Eunbi’s office, hand in hand, ignoring the prying eyes of people. Minjoo learned not to care, as long as she gets to hold Yujin’s hand like this proudly. Yujin was proud of her, and Minjoo should be too.

 

When they got inside Eunbi’s office, the latter let out a groan. “Oh, Christ! Here comes the love birds…” She muttered under her breath and shook her head.

 

Yujin stuck her tongue out at Eunbi, and Minjoo just smiled at the principal before giving her the papers using her free hand. “Thank you, Minjoo.” Eunbi gratefully said, skimming through the papers before putting them down on her table after. “You already picked a university, right?”

 

Minjoo nodded, and said, “Yes, I got admitted too… I just got a confirmation email from SKKU yesterday.”

 

Eunbi looked proud of her, and winked at her. “You’re a brilliant child, I’m sure SKKU is happy to have you.”

 

Minjoo gave Eunbi a deep bow, “Thank you, really, Principal Kwon. For everything.”

 

Eunbi immediately waved it off, “Geez, we already talked about this, Minjoo! No need to thank me. If it wasn’t you, I’m long dead already.” She tried to lighten the mood up but it just made Yujin glare at her. She really hated her aunt joking about her almost deathly experience.

 

The older woman then looked at Yujin, “You… you already chose a college university too, right? You refused to study abroad, I heard from your mom.” She said, clasping her fingers together.

 

Minjoo subtly glanced at Yujin, feeling her heart jump at what she heard. She never really talked about the university she wanted to attend, Yujin would just either shrug and smile meaningfully if Minjoo would ask her about her plans so she gave up. She really thought that Yujin would go abroad to study, that would sadden Minjoo, to be quite honest. She hoped to know where Yujin would study, she wanted them to be in the same school. Greedy, it is.

 

Yujin just boredly looked at her auntie, “Yeah~” She shortly replied.

 

Minjoo tried to swallow her disappointment as Eunbi shoved them away from their office, saying that she hated seeing them together and it irks her, especially their glued hands. Yujin commented, “Single grumpy old woman.”

 

Minjoo just found herself at Yujin’s car again, feeling comfortable at the seat already as if it was hers. Well, technically, it was her spot now, to be honest. She almost rode this every single day because of Yujin’s insistence that she would fetch her every morning. Her parents commented that Yujin was a good friend.

 

Snorting, Minjoo shook her head at the thought… oh sorry, Mom and Dad, this woman is no good friend of mine…

 

Yujin was silently driving until she broke the comfortable silence herself. “Want to go to the beach?” Another sudden trip? Minjoo was in.

 

Minjoo smiled at her, “Why not? Mom is already at home so Minseo’s not alone.” She said, excited at the thought of going to see the beach again with Yujin. “Let’s go to the beach, Yuj.”

 

After the trip, Yujin parked the car on the spot overlooking the beach. Minjoo was happy. She walked up, took off her shoes, then brought them with her, soaking her feet in the cold seawater.

 

Yujin did the same, and even kicked on the water lightly so it would splash over Minjoo. And of course, as revenge, Minjoo did the same until they were screaming and chasing each other. But they did not play around until they got drenched.

 

Minjoo was picking up a seashell on the side when she saw Yujin with a big stick, dragging it across the sand to draw something. A heart.

 

Amused, Minjoo walked over after putting the shell back and watched Yujin draw letters on the sand until it said, KMJ + AYJ inside the big heart. Minjoo couldn’t even suppress the giggle and took pictures of the ‘art’ Yujin did. The soccer captain looked so proud of what she did.

 

They silently admired the sea by the shore, Yujin was back hugging Minjoo and trying to warm her up with her jacket, trying to cover them both. Minjoo melted at the embrace, feeling warm against Yujin, the wind was chill and slightly harsh so they were cold, huddling using Yujin’s jacket for warmth and relying on each other’s warmth.

 

As the sun set, Yujin and Minjoo went back to the car, sitting on the hood as they watched the sunset while having coffee that they got from a small shop a few minutes walk away from their spot.

 

It was healing, and Minjoo couldn’t ask for more. She was at peace, and she was with her person. She was the happiest.

 

She glanced at her hand, and saw that Yujin’s bigger one was engulfing them, warming them up. With a smile, Minjoo was satisfied.

 

“What are your plans after graduating?” asked Yujin.

 

Minjoo hummed, “Maybe work? For extra income? College is still a month or so away…” She answered lightly.

 

Yujin pouted because of her answer. “How about let’s have a trip around the world? I’ll pay for our expenses, consider it as a graduation gift from me. You’ve been stressing yourself out because of academics. You deserve a break, you know…” She said, and of course, Minjoo immediately refused! That’s too expensive and she couldn’t go with Yujin peacefully knowing she paid nothing for it.

 

“That’s too… expensive. I want to work though, I can manage! Just a part-time job, you know.” Minjoo firmly said, and so, Yujin was defeated.

 

“Okay, I’ll apply for your job then so I can be with you.” Yujin nonchalantly said.

 

Minjoo pursed her lips and stared at her, unamused.

 

Yujin pressed a kiss on Minjoo’s cheek, catching her off-guard. “Don’t you want to ask me where I will go to college?” She then brought up, wiggling her brows.

 

Minjoo pouted, slightly getting nervous because of it. “Where?” She was very anxious, she was afraid she might get disappointed if Yujin would study somewhere far away from SKKU. Well, they could still make it work somehow but she just really wanted to be near the woman.

 

Yujin took something from her coat, smiling. She opened the envelope and showed it to Minjoo.

 

The woman couldn’t even properly process what was inside it because when she read, ‘Congratulations, Miss Ahn Yujin! You are officially accepted in Sungkyunwan University.’, Minjoo already squealed and jumped onto Yujin’s arms happily.

 

Yujin could only laugh at her, hugging the woman tight, equally happy and was very pleased at Minjoo’s reaction.

 

“Oh my god! You’re going to SKKU?! Like me!?” Minjoo asked, excited, holding Yujin’s shoulders.

 

Yujin nodded in confirmation, grinning at her as her dimples poked out deeply. “Yes, Joo, I’ll go to SKKU. Same school as yours, and not in the States anymore.” She said, holding Minjoo’s waist protectively.

 

Minjoo was really surprised, and she was happy!

 

“Why SKKU?” asked Minjoo, tilting her head. She was curious.

 

Yujin smiled at her, her eyes sparkling. “SKKU is where you will attend, SKKU has you. Of course, I’ll follow,” She honestly said and added, “And well, I heard it’s quite great there. Aunt Eunbi graduated from there.” She shrugged.

 

Minjoo rolled her eyes. Did Yujin really just choose SKKU because it was Minjoo’s chosen university. But to be honest, she was flattered.

 

With a sigh, Minjoo hugged Yujin again. “Silly… you shouldn’t have chosen your college because of me… Pick the school you want.” She whispered, and Yujin chuckled deeply.

 

“I really have no school in mind, really. I would just go to where my parents want me to attend but thanks to you, I finally have a dream university too.” Yujin murmured, and broke the hug, cupping Minjoo’s cheeks with a smile. “Besides, I really want to stick with my girlfriend as much as I can.” She added.

 

Minjoo laughed lightly at her. “You’re really…” Minjoo paused. “What? Girlfriend?” She was surprised.

 

“Whoops,” Yujin exclaimed afterwards, coughing and turning red. “I… I, well, I was talking about you, Joo. Uhm, I just got too happy and called you like that.” She whispered, very shy and giddy.

 

Minjoo blinked, and watched Yujin’s reaction. Her heartbeat’s pace started to quicken, butterflies in her stomach started to rage. God, that sounded good. My girlfriend? Wow.

 

“Well, ask me properly first,” Minjoo finally got her voice back, staring at Yujin with a smile.

 

Yujin looked at her, and a smile broke out on her lips. She leaned in closer to Minjoo, and stared at her deeply in her orbs, reaching her soul.

 

The sun was finally setting, and the children were happily yelling, the birds were squeaking and chirping, the calm waves crashed against the shore. Everything turned muffled and blurry for the both of them, immersed in one another.

 

Yujin her lips, “I’ve been meaning to ask you… well, I actually… going to ask you today but my head suddenly started to think in advance and called you before I could even ask you…” honestly revealed the woman, scratching her nape. She cleared and scooted closer to Minjoo who was just silently looking and listening at her, her eyes were mesmerizing.

 

Minjoo just hummed, inching in closer too, feeling her heart swell when she saw Yujin’s throat bob up and down, indicating that she was nervous as well.

 

“Kim Minjoo… I,” Yujin paused to take a deep breath. “You’re the most wonderful woman alive, the most beautiful, the kindest, and even the most annoying,” Minjoo rolled her eyes at that. “And you take my breath away. You already caught my heart the moment you threw that ball on my face when we first met.” And they both giggled.

 

“Minjoo, I can’t even properly express my feelings for you into words because you’re always making me feel too much, making me feel everything, and it’s so overwhelming in a good way. It just says that I’m so into you, so smitten, head over heels with you.” Yujin continued and grabbed Minjoo’s both hands, looking at her with serious yet soft droopy eyes. “I hope I proved my worth. I hope you’re sure of me. I hope you can take a risk with me.”

 

Pressing a kiss on the back of Minjoo’s hand, Yujin stared at Minjoo with lovestruck eyes. “Kim Minjoo, please be my girl.”

 

Minjoo’s heart really burst into rainbows and she grinned happily at Yujin. Goodness, there was just an unexplainable feeling that was happening in her entire existence. There was no other answer besides, ‘yes’.

 

With a smitten smile, Minjoo cupped Yujin’s face with her hands, grinning lovingly at her. “I’ve been your girl all this time, Yujin.” She whispered, and pressed a kiss on the corner of Yujin’s lips. “But yes, let’s be official now, Ahn Yujin.”

 

Yujin gasped, covering , looking absolutely shocked. Why was she reacting this way anyway, Yujin should’ve known and she should be confident that Minjoo would say ‘yes’. She was the one who insisted on courting her anyway.

 

“Oh my god!” Yujin exclaimed happily. “You’re my girlfriend now!? For real, this time?!”

 

Minjoo grinned happily at her, nodding as her eyes glimmered. “Yes, Yujin. I’m your girlfriend now.” She tried to bite a snark. “Now, will you please stop shaking and kiss me?”

 

And of course, Yujin immediately scooped her with her arms and kissed her.

 

The kiss was slow, passionate, and they kept smiling in between. They kissed until they ran out of breath, they kissed as if they were the only ones left in this world.

 

The both of them could ask for no more.

 

“I love you, Kim Minjoo,” Yujin whispered after breaking the kiss

 

Ah, those magical words. Minjoo felt like jumping up and down after hearing those words from Yujin. She instantly loved how sweet it was.

 

Minjoo smiled gently at her, “I love you too, Ahn Yujin.” She had always been.

 

Madly in love, she was madly in love with this big loser. And fortunately enough, the big loser was crazily in love with her too.

 

And they kissed once more before the sun fully set, succumbing into a world where the two of them could only enter and reach.

 

The waves crashed against the shore, the children continued to shout happily as they ran around the sand, the seagulls were still loud as they flew, and the wind howled gently. Yet, Minjoo and Yujin could only feel and hear each other’s heart that was beating in sync.

 

END.

 

///

 

A/N: and that’s a wrap! this is diamante’s end :D i hope you guys liked it! truthfully, i’ve been working on this alr for months and i even told the person who commissioned me that i couldn’t continue anymore until weeks ago i decided to continue it ksdsfjsk i’m not regretting continuing this story at all~ it even got me writing much more than expected huhuhu i enjoyed the slowburn phase yet it also bit me in the because of the wordcount… also, this is not… officially the END end lmfao because i’ll be releasing a special chapter as a compensation to my friend (who commissioned me to write this) because i broke the arrangement that i should be only writing 40k lmfao i think the total wordcount it playing around 52-55k? damn.. anyway, please wait for the special chapter and once again, thank you for reading!!! always stay safe.

 

huge thank you again to the one who commissioned me to write this fluffy piece huhu thank you for waiting patiently and for not giving up on this story, ate k! i hope i did not disappoint~!