Part One

Dance The Night Away
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was a beautiful morning to start the day. The birds are flying, chirping and singing on the branches. The sun shines brightly and the wind softly glide through the whole area, embracing the living bodies. It was Friday, the fourth day of holiday for senior students of Elyxion High high school. I am one of the seniors which I am glad that high school is over. The final exams had finished and all of the seniors were given a few days off for relaxation. Well except for me and my unlucky luck.

I woke up early as always, doing all the cleaning, sweeping, cooking, watering the plants, and yeah you got the drill. But as usual, someone would order me around – like right now, I had to go to the convenience store to buy some stuff. Walking out through the front door of my house, I wore my regular white shirt with a navy-blue-jeans along with my red sneakers and my bag sling across my body. My stepmom had ordered me to buy some snacks and being the good-obedient girl that I am, I had to. My only choice is by walking there as I have not yet had my driver licence – don’t worry it is not that far. Walking through the neighbouring road, I plucked in my earphone and checking through my playlist. Playing “Been Through” as my first song, I head to the store leisurely.

As my last song “Beautiful” being played through its last verse, I turned the corner of the street and my eyes met up with the store. I walked into the store, took out the list of the things to buy and also taking my time to get it. There were only few things to buy so I took my time in looking through it inside the store. As I was thinking whether to buy a drink or a chocolate bread for myself, there were a group of girls entered the store. All of them went to the eatery corner and make some instant noodles to eat. I noticed that the girls are from my high school, loudly talking—chatting about the prom ball for us seniors. I sighed. Every senior batch for every year will have a prom night which is like a gathering end party for the senior students before graduation. Every year the prom will be different– venue, themes, etc, all usually will be different. This year the venue will be at a hotel ballroom with a masquerade theme – royal fairy-tales.  The girls talked about their dates, what they’re going to wear, heels or flats, makeup etc. – the girls talk. I’m just there standing by the beverages corner – still debating about what type of drink to buy.

“Coke or Sprite?” holding the two beverages, talking to myself. “Urghh, hmmm I will take both.” I put both of them in the basket that I’m carrying.

After that, I went to the cashier counter to pay. While the cashier boy scanned the bar code of the items, I heard one of the girls fangirling and squealing about some boys well more likely the EXO boys—which are one of the popular groups in our school. I inwardly rolled my eyes. They’re hyping about whom the boys will bring to the prom, can they have the chance to dance with them—all that girly moment. The girls were far from the counter but their voices rang loudly inside the store, the loudness that the group of girls emitted by far the worst I’ve ever encountered. The cashier boy in front of me saw my annoyed expression and chuckled about it. I heard him, shocked and embarrassed that he saw my reaction. He was in his uniform with a white mask covering his mouth, soon he brought it down to his chin to speak.

“Not into the type like them?” he asked teasingly and I was surprised that he asked such question.

“Hmm well... actually no. I’m not like other girls who fangirling over some boys” I said a bit too confident. I coughed soon after.

“I can tell” he smiled so brightly that his eyes turned into crescent-moon-shape and nodding his head like an obedient kid. Seeing his face like that unknowingly made me smile back at him.

“Here, all is 14,000 won” he put all the items in a plastic bag, gave it to me while I gave him the money. Before I leave, he smiled at me, stared at me and opened his mouth to speak. “By the way, my name is Jongdae. Kim Jongdae. Nice to meet you” he introduced himself nicely while giving out his hand to shake.

My eyes widened as I was speechless yet not so speechless like I thought I would. I shook his hands “Nice to meet you too, I’m Jaera. Jung Jaera”.

And just like that he nodded, “hope to see you again Jaera-ssi” still smiling so brightly. “I’m sorry for this short encounter but I have to go. See ya!”.  He suddenly left into the storage room, leaving me standing at the counter like

“What the hell just happen?”

 

 

I left the store with a dumbfound expression as I cannot believe that I met one of the boys—yup he was one of them. I still cannot believe the girls haven’t notice him working there. Great disguise I thought in amazement. He really just looked like any other ordinary boy next door. I still cannot believe those fangirls did not recognize him.

“And wow…. Did I just touch his hand?” I stared at my right hand, feeling a bit bewildered.

I smiled and sighed. I’m not into them like their fans, that’s for sure and I’m also not the type that will know every information about them so I never even talk or face to face with them at school. I’m in a different class—except for two members. Whenever they’re around I would go to somewhere else because I really hate the commotion their fans made. I know some of their faces but half of them I don’t even recognize. I only know and had talked to two of the boys which are in the same class as I am. I recognized Jongdae’s face because I had accidently bumped into him at the school library, other than that, I never talk to him or even spare a glance at them. But I guess he remembers me, knowing by the way he just casually introduced himself to me.

I walked back to my house, bringing the snacks to my stepmom and my two stepsisters. If you’re wondering, I am like the modern Cinderella version from the Disney fairy-tales. They bullied me and always ordering me like their slave.

I cannot wait to graduate high school and go to the states.

I had sent my letter to Harvard University and hope that they will accept me as their student. I want to run, away from here – from them. I’m tired by the way they treated me but I could not do anything as I’m still living with them and they’re still family. As I was on my way towards my home, passing by the park—too preoccupied in my own mind, I saw a boy—guy skateboarding there. He was showing his skills of riding the skateboard when suddenly he fell down hard on the ground. I was shocked but quickly ran over to him. My instinct kicks in that I went towards him without any second thought. He was wincing in pain on the ground.

“Are you alright?!”

I put the plastic bag aside and looked at his injuries. He was wearing a black short sport pants so I let my sight land on his left knee—it was bleeding and I gasped. Although it seems like a simple little injury but it did not stop me from worrying. He stopped wincing as he looked at me—surprised that I came to help him. I looked up to see his face and widened my eyes for the second time.

“Uh, no It’s okay... I’m fine. It’s only a scratch” he said, smiling kindly as if he didn’t just fall. I snapped back to reality and answered him.

“You’re bleeding! C’mon let me get you to a clinic” I insisted to help him but he just shrugged it off.

 “It’s okay. Really, I can handle it, don’t worry” he said softly—he didn’t want me to panic over such small thing. I slightly pouted but nonetheless I took a look at the scratch and a light bulb appear on top of my head literally, grabbing my bag and took out my spare packet of plasters. I took the one that was in the perfect size for the cut and gently put it on the bleeding place after I cleaned it with a tissue.

“Alright, there...” I breathed in relieved.

I looked back at him and he just stared at me. He looked speechless, blurred, dumbfound that I did something like this to him.

“Thanks?” he slowly said it but then he shook his head, snapping out of his reverie. “Sorry! What I mean is thank you so much! I was just speechless at what you did” he smiled widely, showing his teeth.

I smiled back “You’re welcome Yixing-ssi” I replied and now he’s the one that widened his eyes. “Oh! You know my name?” and then he scratched his head “Err, have we met before? I’m sorry, sometimes I often forget people.” he smiled sheepishly. I giggled at his adorableness “No, we’ve never met don’t worry. I know you because you’re one of the EXO boys, right? I know your name from some girl that repeatedly saying your name during recess and also showed a picture of you to her friends. I just passed by them and accidently saw your face from that picture” I explained.

He was left again speechless with his mouth wide open. “Wow, I don’t know whether to praise your eyes for remembering that photo so quickly or to be frighten by the fact that some girl has a picture of me” he was perplexed but laughed afterward, making me laughed along with him. After that small talk, I helped him stand up on his two feet and he bowed to me. I was taken aback so I bowed back.

“Thanks again Ms.......?”

“Jaera. Jung Jaera”

“Ah, Thanks a lot Jaera-ssi for helping me” he smiled that showed his cute dimple.

Seeing his dimple is so adorable so I smiled back.

“You’re welcome”

He took the plastic bag from the ground and handed it to me.

“Ah, thank you” I thanked him.

Before he left, he gave a quick wink and in a heartbeat he left. I sighed – confused.

“What the hell” I just stood there dumbfound.

 

 

I’ve arrived back home and arranged the stuff neatly at their own places in the kitchen. I took my own snacks and brought it to my room. I locked my room and laid down on my bed. I put the snacks on my study table. When I was about to rest my eyes for a bit, my annoying stepsisters loudly bagging on my door, I sighed but nonetheless I went over an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter