How They Met

I Love You to Saturn and Back

Karina hummed to herself as she walked the street. It is a very cold November night. She hugged herself as she saw the theater from the other side of the street. 

 

"Finally," she mumbled and quickened her pace. 

 

"Oh duck!" Karina jumped in surprise. The stranger whom she bumped into, looked at her with a raised brow. She looks younger and shorter than Karina. Her hair is blonde, she is really pretty too. 

 

"Duck?" She asked silently. The taller girl looked around and saw no ducks around them. Her forehead creased. Is this a new way of scamming people? 

 

"Are you looking for a duck?" The stranger asked with an amused smirk plastered on her face. 

 

"U-uhm, yeah? I'm sorry for bumping into you, Miss. I was trying to catch a show," she said and pinched the bridge of her nose.

 

The stranger smiled. Her pearly white teeth can brighten anyone's day, or at this time, night. Karina looked away. 

 

"Well, I am trying to catch a show too. Off-Broadway?" Karina nodded and showed her ticket to the gorgeous shorter woman. 

 

Karina shook her head. She is not like this. She doesn't talk to strangers, let alone show her location for the next few hours to a complete stranger. 

 

She heard about serial killers lurking in these streets for Pete's sake! What if this beautiful young girl is one of them? 

 

But her inner gay is a lot stronger than her overthinking self. 

 

"Who would have thought?" The shorter woman said and showed her own ticket. Ah, what a coincidence. They'll be sitting next to each other. This is just a mere coincidence, no? 

 

It is so impossible that the younger-looking woman is stalking her, right?

 

"So, I guess we're going to be together for a few more hours," the shorter girl said and linked her arms with the taller one. 

 

Karina gulped. She wants to unlink their arms as quickly as possible, but the stranger looks like she is enjoying herself. And why would Karina ruin that?

 

She might have been enjoying herself too. 

 

"I'm Karina," she shyly introduced herself. 

 

"Winter Kim. It's so nice to meet you," Winter introduced herself. They walked inside the theater and sat beside each other. 

 

It hasn't been long since the play started. 

 

"You know, I like the writing of this play, but the actors are so mediocre," Winter mumbled. Karina hummed.

 

"This is Off-Broadway, half of the actors are mediocre." She whispered back. Winter looked at her with a raised brow. 

 

"But the Director should have at least found actors who can embody the writer's idea. What a waste, no?" The taller girl scoffed. 

 

"Maybe they just don't understand the playwright." She said plainly and coolly. 

 

Winter shrugged and looked straight ahead. Every time Winter uttered an opinion, Karina mumbled something back. They talked quietly while watching the play. 

 

And the taller girl won't admit that she finds this dynamic pretty fun. 

 

After an hour and a half, the curtains finally closed. 

 

"I have seen worse," Winter said, her lips twitching into a huge grin. Karina can't help but smile back.  

 

She did not know that smiles can be contagious too. 

 

"I have written worse," Karina said, her eyes smiling. Winter gasped dramatically. She even punched Karina's arm lightly.

 

"Shut up! You're a playwright?"

 

"Kind of." She said shyly. Winter nodded her head slowly and suddenly held the taller girl's arm.

 

"Any show I might have seen?" Karina contemplates if she wants to tell Winter what shows she's written. 

 

She is afraid of having to be bare and seen. But Winter is looking at her with big doe eyes, waiting for an answer. 

 

She hates being seen. Hates the attention. She has lots of it at home, in public, the last thing she wants is to have Winter's tantalizing pair of eyes looking at her too. 

 

She might lose all of her inhibitions and kiss the very attractive woman in front of her.

 

"Maybe. Hey, I am wondering if you want to go grab a drink with me?" It was very unlike Karina to invite someone for a drink, but what can she do? She is intrigued by the girl. 

 

her final exam. This might be the last time they see each other. 

 

"I guess a drink won't hurt!" The shorter girl excitedly said. Karina smiled. 

 

They walked side by side as they looked for the nearest pub. 

 

"Can I be honest, Miss Karina?" The latter scoffed. Why would Winter call her Miss Karina? But she won't lie, her name suddenly sounds beautiful. 

 

"Karina is fine. And yes, please," she said. 

 

"I really don't drink alcohol, but coffee is better. Don't you agree?" Winter asked with a raised brow. Her face reflects hope. 

 

Karina is not a fan of coffee. But Winter is. 

 

"I know a place!" Karina said enthusiastically. 

 

Who cares if she can't sleep for a day because of a decision that she didn't even think through. Who cares? 

 

"Here we go," Karina mumbled. The cafe is small but cozy.

 

"Tell me more about yourself!" Winter excitedly said as they walked inside the cozy place. Karina tilted her head in confusion. They haven't sat down and Winter is already starting? 

 

"I am Karina Yu," the taller girl mumbled quietly. She looked around and saw a few people inside the cafe. 

 

"You have a beautiful name, Karina." The latter blushed at the compliment.

 

"I can say the same to you. Not being a creep or anything, but you're gorgeous." Winter hummed. Her lips tugged upwards while she stared at the girl in front of her.

 

"People told me so, but no one actually started with being a creep or anything," Winter said.

 

They walked towards the counter to order. 

 

"Let me pay for yours," Karina whispered. She sneakily handed her black card to the cashier. 

 

"As long as you let me pay next time," Karina's ears perked up. Next time?  

 

"So there is gonna be a next time?" 

 

Winter looked at her with a smirk. She shrugged.

 

"Maybe."