Chapter 1/1

Together Again

   Jinki stared at the night sky.  He saw every star twinkle. A warm feeling went across his chest as he saw it: a shooting star.  The woman on the radio said that there would be a star show tonight.  With everything that has happened to Jinki in the last few years, he needs a miracle.  He chose his star and closed his eyes.  Clasping his hands together, he shuts his eyes.

 

I pray for a miracle; whatever it is, make me smile again.

 

He opened his eyes after a minute.  He held his bag straps and let out a sigh.  The warmth in his chest was only temporary.  He walked back to his house, quietly going into his room so as to not disturb the other residents.  He lay in his bed, hope in his eyes that someone somewhere heard his prayer.

 

Unfortunately, the night didn't last long enough.  He awoke from loud voices outside his bedroom.  He slowly sat up, looking around his room.  His room was decorated with constellations and many art pieces made by his aunt.  They were her gifts to him throughout his childhood.  He stood up, putting his fluffy unicorn slippers on.

 

After freshening up in the bathroom, Jinki walked out of his room.  The argument was clear now.  Taemin, his little brother, was arguing with their father, Minho.

 

"It's not fair!  I want to go to the park."  Taemin whined.

 

Minho rolled his eyes.   "No.  Jinki, could you run to the store after work?  Your mother needs more milk."  He requested.

 

"Sure."  Jinki obeyed.

 

"Why does Jinki get to go out and do stuff?  His job isn't even real."  Taemin threw his arms up high like a Minecraft Iron Golem.

 

Hyolyn, the mother, rolled her eyes as well.  "Can you guys stop fighting for like two minutes?"  She shook her head.  "Jinki, after you're done playing with kids, please take your brother to the park."  She requested.

 

Jinki blinked a few times.  "But I wanted to play Overwatch-"

 

"No.  Your brother has been waiting to go to the park for a week now."  Minho interrupted.  "Stop thinking about yourself all the time."

 

"But-"

 

"I'm going to work."  Minho said.  "You'll be making dinner?"

 

Hyolyn shrugged.  "My shoulders are still aching, could you get take-out, Jinki?"  She asked.

 

Jinki hummed.  "You should get your shoulders checked out."  He commented, getting a pancake from the table.

 

"It's just a pulled muscle, Sweetie."  Hyolyn replied.

 

Jinki looked at taemin.  The younger smiled in content with getting his way.  Jinki shook his head.  "Be ready to go by five o'clock."  He said.

 

"Why so late?  It's not that hard to draw with kids."  Taemin held his hips as he nagged.

 

"I'm a daycare manager.  I take care of kids.  Maybe you should try it sometime."  Jinki snapped back.

 

Hyolyn snapped her fingers.  "Hey, don't talk to my baby like that."  She said with an angry tone.

 

Jinki rolled his eyes.  When he made it to work, all of his worries disappeared.  His dream is to take care of kids - his own or otherwise.  When he played with children, he felt like a child too.  He felt responsibility free.  Making a child smile made him forget about his parents treating Taemin like gold; he forgot about his mother complaining about even the smallest scratch on her arm; he was able to forget about how his dad wanted no involvement with the family; he forgot about just how lonely he is.

 

His feelings returned at five o'clock when he picked Taemin up from school.  Jinki watched Taemin have fun with the group of friends he met at the park.  It did relieve Jinki to know that Taemin had friends.  "Hyung!"  Taemin called over.  "Can you buy me an ice cream?"  He asked, sitting next to Jinki on the bench.

 

"We have ice cream at the house."  Jinki answered.

 

"Please Hyung?  I don't ask for much."  Taemin poked.

 

Jinki furrowed his eyebrows.  "I'm sorry, Tae, I haven't gotten my paycheck yet.  I can only buy dinner."  Jinki explained.

 

Taemin pouted.  "Why don't you make more money?"  He whined.

 

"I've bought a lot this week."  Jinki sighed.  "With gas, meals, and treats.."  He muttered.  "I'm trying to take care of the house, but it's hard, Tae."

 

Taemin folded his arms.  "You?  Take care of the house?  As if."  He argued.  "You spend so much gas because you chose a job far away; you never buy any food to cook with; and you only treat yourself with those video games."  Taemin listed.

 

"But-"

 

"You live in the past too."  Taemin interrupted.  "You're not Aunt Taeyeon, you can't take care of us like her, and you never will."  He stood up.

 

Jinki was shocked.  He held Taemin's arm. "Where are you going?"  He asked, a tear welling in his eye.

 

"I'm walking home, you can go home alone."  Taemin snatched his arm back.

 

Jinki just watched Taemin walk off in silence.  The tear finally went down his cheek.  Aunt Taeyeon - the best woman in the world.  She took care of everyone: she was Minho's sister, taking care of Minho through childhood.  She welcomed and took care of Hyolyn.  She made Jinki's cousins behave too.  She was loving.

 

Was

 

Taeyeon is no longer with the family.  Everyone was hit so hard when the news came out about her being run down by a drunk driver.  Jinki never lived well after that.  Jinki was in the car behind her with Minho.  It was Taeyeon's dream to run a daycare, so Jinki had to do it for her.  He didn't even realize how much he was trying to be her though.

 

He let out a sigh, watching the sky slowly turn its lights out.  The stars emerge once more.  Jinki finally stood up, wiping his face from the stale tears.  He watched the speeding cars zoom by.  An emptiness in his chest told him to do it.  The family will be happier and better without him.  The thought of every concern left his body.

 

He breathed in and out, in and out, and one more time.  And then he held his breath as he made a run for it.  He was right at the curb when he felt a hand grasp the back of his jacket, pulling him back from the road.

 

He looked to see a man.  He was so bright and beautiful.  He looked like a petite young man with sun kissed hair and a pale complexion.  His clothes were bright colors.  Jinki landed on his but in shock at the beauty in front of him.  To say his heart was racing was an understatement.  His heart raced for three reasons:

 

He was about to end his life, this man suddenly saved him, and this man is so gorgeous.  Jinki was blushing.  "You don't want to do that, Jinki."  The man said.

 

Jinki tilted his head.  "Who.."

 

"I'm.. I'm just a gurdian from your daycare."  He answered.  "I happened to be seeing you.. Anyway, I'm Jonghyun."  He introduced himself.

 

Jinki was speechless.  "So.. Are you an angel?"  He asked.

 

Jonghyun laughed.  You can call me that if you want."  He shrugged.  "I'm here for you, you're not suffering alone."  He helped Jinki stand up.

 

Jinki sighed.  "I can't make my family happy.."  He muttered.

 

Jonghyun pouted his lips.  "It's not your job to make them happy."  He said.  "Your job is to find your happiness."  He explained as he walked with Jinki.  "You must take care of yourself before trying to take care of others."  He continued.

 

Jinki looked down.  "Nothing makes me happy anymore."  He said.  "Everything is a mess, how can I be happy?"  He asked.

 

Jonghyun folded his arms.  "You know what?  Maybe I was here for you for a reason."  He thought aloud.  "I'll show you the positives in your life, if you'll let me."

 

"Good luck."  Jinki half-believed.

 

Jinki quietly went home.  By the time he arrived, everyone was fast asleep.  Jinki lay in his bed after a relaxing shower.  He looked at the moon through the window at his bed.  He thought back to his angel Jonghyun.  How beautiful his smile is; how bright his eyes are; how majestic his aura is.. He turned his head, hoping to see the said person.  His hopes were met when he saw the blonde hair spread on the pillow next to him followed by a relaxed smile on his face.

 

"You.. Want to sleep with me?"  Jinki asked.

 

Jonghyun put a finger on his lips.  Jonghyun simply got closer.  Jinki put his arm around the man, feeling that soft hair.  It was like silk against his fingertips.  He ran his fingers through so gently, making Jonghyun hum happily.  Jinki closed his eyes, finally relaxing and smiling.

 

He never wanted the feeling to go away.  Why can't this be forever?  He thought.  He woke up to having Jonghyun's face against his chest.  Jinki leaned down, nonchalantly smelling Jonghyun's hair.  It smelled like fresh roses and a hint of chocolate.  That's when Jongyun stirred.  He looked into Jinki's eyes.  The pair blushed.

 

"I can see that you're happy."  Jonghyun commented.

 

"Because I don't feel lonely."  Jinki explained.  "Can I just hug you all day?"

 

Jonghyun laughed.  "You must eat, drink, and work."  He said.  "At the beginning of the day and at the end of the day, I'm all yours to hug."  He winked.

 

Jinki smiled.  "I can't tell if you're just being nice or flirty."  He said.

 

Jonghyun shrugged.  "I can't wait to watch you play with children."  He brought up.  "That's a hard job: making children feel truly loved."

 

"They're not my children, but I do love them.  They're so precious."  Jinki smiled softly.

 

Jonghyun hummed.  "You find happiness and relief seeing them.  A positive."  He mentioned.

 

Jinki blinked.  "You're right."  He agreed.

 

Jinki continued the morning like usual.  He didn't notice Jonghyun disappearing.  He made breakfast while listening to Hyolyn and Taemin argue.  It's like Taemin forgot about their conversation last night.  It was then Jinki realized, they always go to him for help.  Even if they get on Jinki's nerves, they trust him.  I suppose that's another positive, Jonghyun.

 

Jinki looked at Hyolyn and Taemin once more.  The lady shook her head and looked at Jinki.  "Make sure he gets home on time.  I don't want him getting into any trouble with his friends."  She requested.

 

"Okay."

 

They looked at Jinki with wide eyes.  "Huh?  No arguing?"  Hyolyn asked.

 

Jinki shrugged.  "I agree, Taemin doesn't need to hang out with those guys.  They're bad influences."  Jinki explained.

 

"But-"

 

"Listen to Jinki.  I told you I was right."  Hyolyn snapped.

 

Taemin huffed. "Fine.. But we better get park food today."  He pointed

 

Jinki hummed.  "Pick what you want.  But won't happen everyday, it's' not healthy."  He said.

 

Taemin pouted.  "It's time to go, you two."  Hyolyn said.

 

Jinki put his dishes away.  That's when he noticed Jonghyun was nowhere in sight.  Jinki sighed.  I suppose that good things can't last forever.  He thought.  At least I can be happy in my imagination.  He nodded, making his way to his car.  He dropped Taemin off at school before going to his place of comfort: his daycare.

 

Here he can live as a child once more.  He made the place look beautiful for the little balls of energy.  He received a text: his co-worker can't make it due to work today for health reasons.  Of course Jinki didn't pry.  He would just take care of the kids with twice the amount of love.  He opened the curtains, making it bright in the building.  A wave of peace washed over him.  He unlocked the front door, turning the sign that said that the daycare was open.

 

It only took five minutes for children to be dropped off.  Jinki accepted the money before letting the children run through the little door.  "Be careful now."  Jinki chuckled.

 

The bell rang once more.  Jinki turned around.  He saw the man from last night.  However, his hair was a medium brown, he had tanned skin, and he was wearing darker clothes.  It was like the opposite from the sight he saw before.  "Hey,"  Jinki greeted, "..did you color your hair?"  He asked.

 

The male scratched his neck.  "Like three weeks ago."  He answered.  "Are you working all alone today?"  He asked.

 

"Yes.. But that's okay."  Jinki answered.

 

"You shouldn't have to work alone.."  He muttered.  "Can I help out?  I need some excitement."  He asked.

 

Jinki raised his eyebrows.  "You seemed happy last night, Jonghyun."  He mentioned.

 

The man shrugged.  "I can understand if you don't want me to help, I'll leave.."  He muttered as he turned around.

 

Jinki held the male's arm.  "No, please stay."  He requested.  "You made me so happy.. You were like an angel." He stated.

 

Jonghyun smiled.  "Can we have dinner tonight?  So we can talk more?"  He asked.

 

Jinki nodded.  "I could spend every day and every night with you."  He admitted.

 

Jonghyun blushed.  "I know.. Let's play with some children."  He walked away.

 

Jinki had hearts in his eyes.  He didn't know what came over him.  Has he ever had a crush?  Yes.  But no crush made him turn into a fool.  No crush made him smile at every little thing.  Jonghyun had those smiles that made Jinki's Heart beat faster and faster.  He had these giggles that made Jinki melt.  When they made eye contact, Jinki forgot all about what he was doing.

 

Jinki looked at the children gathering around Jonghyun.  He spotted the little girl that kissed Jonghyun's lips.  He recognized the girl to be the child who was with Jonghyun.  He has a daughter.  He realized.  He probably has a wife then.  I shouldn't be swooning over a taken man.  He closed his eyes.

 

Jonghyun looked up from the children.  He tilted his head when he saw Jinki's frown.  He shook his head.  "Jinki,"  He called, "where are my manners?  This is my cute niece."  He said.

 

"Oh.."

 

Jonghyun giggled.  "You're stupid." He nudged Jinki


 

The evening rolls by.  Jinki bought ice cream for Taemin before buying dinner for the family.  However, instead of staying for dinner, he met Jonghyun at the quiet park.  Jonghyun had a little dinner packed just for them.  Jinki sat next to the smaller male.  What surprised him was that Jonghyun had bright blonde hair and fair skin.

 

"You.. Look different."  Jinki commented.

 

Jonghyun smiled.  "Okay, I want to talk.  Are you ready?"  He asked.

 

"I don't know."  Jinki laughed.  "Whatever you want to talk about, I don't mind.  As long as I can spend another night with the man who makes me smile like an idiot and my heart beat out of control." He said, holding Jonghyun's hand safely.

 

Jonghyun blushed.  "Okay.."  He breathed in and out.  "We.. We're soulmates."  He said, getting a surprised look from Jinki.  "In our past life, we.. We were a couple.  We had children and we died together.  We grew old together."  He explained.

 

Jinki blinked.  "How do you know this and I don't?"  He asked.

 

"Every time we reincarnate, only one of us remembers."  Jonghyun answered.  "Last time you remembered.  This time.. I had to find you.  I looked all over South Korea for you.  We're bound together and I wanted you as soon as possible." He continued.

 

Jinki's cheeks were a light shade of pink.  "So.. The blonde?"  He asked.

 

"I was blonde in my last life."  Jonghyun said.  "I don't know why I changed last night and right now.. Maybe so you can recognize me."  He guessed.

 

Jinki looked up and down at Jonghyun.  "How.. How did you know it was me?"  He asked.

 

"Oh come on, I know you felt it at the daycare earlier."  Jonghyun nagged.


 

Jinki was surprised when Jonghyun yanked him by the collar, landing a kiss perfectly on his lips.  Jinki closed his eyes.  It was like every heavy burden was lifted off of his back; his heart was feeling joyous and young; his head felt light as a feather.  It was like every stressful moment was erased, just with a simple kiss.  When Jonghyun was pulling out of the kiss, Jinki went forward.  He held Jonghyun's shoulders, tilting his head as he traveled into Jonghyun's mouth.  He softly drank every drop that was inside.   He heard Jonghyun's little giggle.

 

He smiled and slowly pulled away from the kiss.  They both were reluctant to end the kiss.  "Jonghyun.."  Jinki whispered.  "Will you be my heart in this life too?"  He asked, putting their foreheads together.

 

"Of course,"  Jonghyun whispered back, "I promise to love you in this life and the next lives to come." He closed his eyes.

 

Jinki looked at the small male's eyelashes, then his nose; then his lips.  He kisses those cherry lips once more.  "Thank you for finding me, Love."  Jinki said.  "Next time, I'm going to remind you of us through children: what brought us close in this life."  He informed.

 

Jonghyun nodded. "I love you so much."  He said.

 

Jinki stood the boy up.  "Let's go home, I want to show off my happiness.  I want to show you off to the entire world."  Jinki held Jonghyun's Hand.

 

Jonghyun giggled as he let Jinki run.  They ran together as Jinki shouted I love you, and I'm so happy.  He might have sounded like a crazy man..  But that was Jonghyun's crazy man.

 

Jinki looked up at the twinkling stars.  "Thank you so much, universe.  You really are something else."  He said.  "You taught me that life if you let it ; you can't try to be someone you're not.  There will always be one person who you can share your heart with..

 

"I get to share my heart with the love of my life."  He kissed Jonghyun once more.







 

…but that wasn’t going to be the end of their journey…