II. The Plan

Playing Pretend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


« THE PLAN »


 

“Mothers knows best.”

I think that sentence has lost its meaning for sometime ever since my mom started setting me up to all these blind dates since last year. I did agree to it at first which was her colleague’s son. Same-age, a few inches taller, charming but as we got talking, I realized he wasn’t really my type.

Having the thought that it was just a one-time thing and seeing how it failed, I assumed she would instantly let it go. Unfortunately, it was the other way around. When I told her about the date and how we didn’t click, this drove her to became more determined to get me involve in my dating life which I long forgotten after what happened with Jungwoo.

“I think everyone has that right person for them. You can wait or you can look for them. Either way, when you meet them, you’ll just know and from there, you’ll start making it work.”

Those were her exact words after going on the tenth date she had set me. But after that, I finally had enough. It was okay, so-so, but to be honest, it was tiring me out, physically and mentally. After meeting ten different guys, I came to a point that I wouldn’t mind being single all through the remaining years of my life. My mom didn’t listen to me of course. Even during class, she would send me a dozen messages just to meet this guy and at the end I would always ignore.

It was an intense battle for the both of us and luckily she had stopped doing it for a month now. But after letting me know about the party I presumed she have something planned behind her sleeves.

“Wow. I can’t believe your mother is really pulling all those strings just to get you a boyfriend.” Wendy was still staring at the invitation letter in her hands.

“I’m so tired with this.” I groaned and slumped myself back in bed, covering my face with a pillow to muffle the sound. Removing the cushion, I stared at the star-covered ceiling of my room, “We’ve been going back and forth about this. Why is she still so persistent?”

Wendy shrugged, “Maybe she’s rushing into having another set of grandkids from you.”

“Wendy! Ew!” I quickly grabbed the pillow that I tossed awhile ago and hurled it towards her. She was able to duck but not quick enough as it hit her softly on the head. She laughed at her ridiculous answer, “Hey! I’m just trying to point out the possibilities.”

“Well that one was stupid.”

She was still laughing, “It is not. You’re clearly at the age where they want you to start considering about settling down.”

I waved my hand nonchalantly, “Yeah, maybe some other time. I still have to graduate before any of that will happen.”

Wendy had a point but I know it isn’t just about me. Because their interest always comes first. And I know my dad has something to do with this as well, she’s just letting my mom do all the work for now.

Wendy looked at me with worry, “Well, what are you going to do? Clearly your mom already has this list of boys ready to be your date.”

I wish I was smart enough to answer that. I could only sigh in defeat. “I don’t know, Wen. It’s not like I can get a boyfriend overnight.”  Maybe I should give up and let my mom win this time. I can probably ditch the guy during the party and sneak out. I guess he wouldn’t mind since we’re both there against our own will.

After a few moments of silence, I heard a loud gasp from Wendy, startling me from my thoughts. I spring up from bed, hastily looking around the room for an anything that was crawling. “What? Where is it?”

Wendy was clapping excitedly as she went next to me on my bed. I was still lost. That isn’t the reaction I was expecting from someone who just saw a spider.

She grabbed ahold both of my shoulders, turning me around to face her. She smiled widely, “That’s it, Mari! You’re a genius!” Her words surprised me that it took me quite awhile to process what was happening.

“I- oh, thank you?” My lips twitched turning into a strained smile. Wendy was waiting for a reaction except that I still have no clue on what we are agreeing with it. I raised an eyebrow, “Sorry but why are you suddenly complimenting me?”

Realizing that we aren’t exactly on the same page, Wendy suddenly frowned, rolling her eyes at me, “Mari, can you repeat what you just said awhile ago?”

Still at lost, I meekly did what I was told, “Where.. is.. the.. spi-“

“No! Before that!”

There was a brief stillness between us, my eyes roaming everywhere around the room as if the answers were somewhat plastered on those walls. Then I remembered. Unsure, I slowly recited it wo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter