chapter four.

Fondness Within Pages
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It has been five days since Jimin and Minjeong's confrontation happened on the school's rooftop. Everything was still just like how it was before; the students have been enjoying the events prepared by the student council members for Engineering Week, a lot of people from the outside still enter the university gates to have fun as well, and everyone basically just has been doing whatever they want before another busy week comes— where exam week starts. 

When you look around the university, things haven't really changed at all. Well, except for the behavior of a certain person, which has been affecting her performances and duties as the student body president who was supposed to manage certain events. Her head was always slumped on the desk, and the other council members have been having a hard time conversing with her about important matters since she was always either acting cold or just simply shutting them off, telling them to work things out on their own because she needed time to be alone. 

Jimin has always been diligent, devoted, and hardworking in every aspect of her life as a student and also as a student leader. But ever since Minjeong came, she had undergone so many unnecessary changes in a very short period of time. For the nth time, she had tried to convince herself that none of what was happening to her was the transfer student's fault, and just like what her friends kept reminding her, not everything could happen in her favor so the past weeks' experiences were inevitable. 

It was just too hard for her to accept it, so she ended up pouring all the anger she felt on someone so innocent. 

As for Minjeong, she did what Jimin wanted as a sign of respect to how the student body president felt. She has been avoiding her at all costs, and even if Jimin suggested the both of them to just be professional towards each other and that Minjeong should just go to her if she ever needs something or has to say something important, she chose not to because she thought her absence in Jimin's life would just make her feel at ease. 

Thankfully, the blonde had a classmate named Ning Yizhuo who eventually became her friend after they both accidentally bumped into each other on one of the booths. Minjeong learned that Yizhuo didn't really have any college circles since she also recently transferred to the university, and she wasn't that good at speaking their language just yet since she spent most of her life in her hometown in China. Although the girl was surprisingly loud and lively, and also had boisterous laughter specifically when she found things very funny, overall, she and Minjeong were a perfect match and had the same interests; that's why they were able to get along pretty well. Yizhuo also knew when to keep quiet, since she was aware of how shy and introverted her new friend was.

“So, are you just going to spend the whole day staring at her and that red-haired girl she's laughing with?” 

Jimin almost dropped the iced mocha latte she was holding when Yeji suddenly appeared out of nowhere. She clenched her aching chest, slightly hitting the cat-eyed girl's shoulder. 

“At least make your presence known and don't just come to me like that,” she commented, rolling her eyes before taking a huge sip of her drink. 

“What are you saying? I've been here for fifteen minutes already, and I'm pretty sure my arrival wasn't as silent as what you expected because I tripped on a huge rock.” Yeji replied, showing the little spot of mud on the tip of her sneakers. “You were just too focused on creepily staring at Kim Minjeong that you didn't even notice I was here the whole time.” 

“I wasn't staring at her.” Jimin denied as she looked in a different direction, but she made sure she could still see the blonde girl in her peripheral vision. “I was staring somewhere else.. thinking.”

Yeji sighed, nudging the student body president's shoulder. 

“You know, it has almost been a week since you two last talked and your last conversation didn't end well either. I know you want to talk to her, but it's just your pride that's eating your whole system up. That won't really do you any good.” 

“There's nothing else to talk about,” Jimin uttered, squeezing the empty cup and throwing it in the trash can. “She hasn't come to me anyway, so she probably doesn't need any assistance anymore. It also seems like she found a new... friend, and she's probably helping her a lot, so there's really no other reason for us to converse.” 

“Sometimes, I hate how stupid you are when it comes to things like this,” Yeji said, making Jimin surprised at the sudden comment. Yeji has never called her that before, and she didn't know exactly what to feel. “You're smart, Jimin, but also stupid.” 

“What the he—” 

“Did you actually expect Minjeong to come to you after you told her those things? That you can't accept the friendship she offers? That you see her as nothing but an academic rival? Gosh, Jimin, you really are stupid.” 

“Okay, okay, stop it. You called me that thrice in a row already,” Jimin complained, scratching her nape. “I just thought she would at least come to me if she ever needed something, but I didn't expect her to just choose to socialize to be able to avoid me.” 

“Well, if I was Minjeong, I would just basically avoid you as well. She's also human, Jimin, and she has feelings too. She was definitely hurt when you said those things to her, considering how she probably tried her best to tell you that she wanted to be friends with you, even if you acted so differently around her just because she has been doing better than you.” 

“Why are you pushing this agenda so much? You know, me and Minjeong being friends instead of this being in this dumb cat and dog fight.” Jimin asked, turning around to look at Yeji. 

The girl just shrugged.

“I just think she's a nice person, and she would motivate you more to do even better since you two are a perfect match. Wouldn't it be cute? You two study together, both getting the highest grades, and eventually graduating college with so many awards. Stop thinking about what your parents would think, because I'm pretty sure you're aware that you've been working so hard for the past years. Choose yourself and your happiness this time, yeah?” 

Jimin couldn't count how many times Yeji had given her advice for the same problem. But it still gets hard for her to apply the cat-eyed girl's words because her enemy wasn't her parents, but herself. It was her that expects too much from herself, and it was her who didn't know how to accept the fact that there will always be someone who's better than her. She's nothing very special, really, and she's just a normal person like everyone else.

“Try considering it, Jimin,” Yeji stated. “If you can't be close friends with her, at least treat her like a normal person and speak to her sometimes. Or maybe, greet her when you pass by her; you can give even the smallest smile too. Just don't pretend as if she's invisible or don't give her the hate she clearly doesn't deserve.” 

“Fine,” Jimin sighed, lightly pushing Yeji to give them both enough space. “But I can't promise you I can do all these things immediately. I need time.” 

“Of course, I'm not rushing you. Do it when you're ready.” 

After her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter