Ch. 1: Gem Glow

Coal: A Low Thing Loathing [su x male Coal reader]

This chapter starts of in a beautiful place called beach city. Who doesn't love beach city? It's a lovely place surrounded by... Beaches. The point is, everyone in beach city is enjoying themselves.

"NOOOOOOOO!!!"

Well, maybe not everyone.

We zoom in, on a humble shop called, 'the big donut' the scream that came from inside the shop, was from a certain Steven Universe.

"This can't be happening, this has to be a dream!"
Steven said.

Steven was currently balling his eyes out, staring at an empty freezer.

"Lars! Lars! Please tell me I'm dreaming!"
Steven shouted, lunging at a tall and lanky fellow, with brown mohawk type hair.

"Get off me, man, I'm stocking here"
Lars said, shaking Steven off him.

"I'm sorry Steven, I guess they stopped making them"
A girl at the counter said.

That girl, is Sadie, a pale skinned, blond-ish haired girl. She also has a pretty short stature.

"Stopped making them?! Why in the world would they stop making cookie cats?! They're only the most scrumptious and delicious ice-cream sandwich ever made! Don't they have laws for this?!"
Steven continued on with his tangent.

*Ding-Ding*
The door suddenly opens, ringing the bell that was nailed at the top of the doorframe.

A certain tall, dark, and handsome character walked through. His outfit ragged and torn at some parts, that's pretty weird... yet, at the same time, it looked like it would look weirder if it wasn't torn and tattered.

"Oh... Hello, Steven...."
The male said, noticing the crying Steven.

The man's voice was smooth as silk, deep as well, as if he had just woken up from a long nap. On top of that, his voice was soothing, you could probably fall asleep just from listening to his voice.

"Y/N! Y/N! Can you believe it?! They stopped making cookie cats!"
Steven said, clinging onto the now named Y/N.

Y/N smiled at Steven and patted his head.

"Was it not because the consumers stopped buying them?"
Y/N spoke, gently peeling Steven off of him and making his way to the counter.

"That's what I was gonna say! But er... Less robot-like!"
Lars voice could be hear.

Steven continued on with his monologue, which greatly annoyed Lars. Meanwhile, Y/N has finally made it to the counter. He stood straight, his posture impeccable, like a man with high status.

"Hello, Sadie... I will have the usual, please."
Y/N said, his voice as smooth as a well-cut Diamond.

Once the blond-ish haired woman noticed Y/N, she suddenly grew a slight blush, which was clearly seen since her skin tone is on the lighter side.

"O-Oh! Hi Y-Y/N. The usual... Right, the usual... O-One 200% caffeinated coffee coming r-right up! Haha!"
Sadie awkwardly said, before dashing to the back to make Y/N's coffee.

"Make sure that it is black..."
Y/N muttered quietly, but loud enough for Sadie to hear it.

"G-Got it!"
Sadie gave Y/N a thumbs up from behind the room she just entered.

Now that Y/N's attention has been freed, he decided to brows through the donut shop, hoping to find some good donuts. He completely ignored the crying Steven that was behind him.

"H-Here you go!"
Sadie suddenly came back, handing
Y/N a large cup of coffee.

"Thank you, Sadie"
Y/N said in his smooth tone, it almost sounded like a whisper.

Y/N grabbed the cup off her hands and took a sip. His eyes turned starry as the coffee touched his tongue. He was in complete bliss. He enjoyed the taste of coffee, he didn't really need it since Coals didn't need sleep, but it helps to keep him energized.

"Ahh~ Wonderful... as always"
Y/N said, slightly smiling at the blushing mess called Sadie.

Y/N notices his jittery friend, but brushed it off as being stressed.

"are tou having a rough day?"
Y/N decided to strike a conversation with the girl.

"Y-Yeah... Pretty rough... A-And Steven isn't helping it..."
Sadie said looking behind Y/N, and at Steven... Who was now kissing a freezer.

Y/N followed Sadie's eyes and saw the scene as well.

"...You were too good for this world... *Chu*"
Steven spoke to the freezer.

Y/N titled his head at Steven's actions. He didn't know why Steven was so sentimental about a... Freezer?

".......Do you mind if Steven can take that home?"
Y/N asked Sadie, as if nothing was wrong.

"Sure, no problem!"
Sadie replied quickly... Almost too quickly.

"Thank you, I owe you one..... Do you hear that, Steven? You can take the freezer with you."
Y/N caught Stevens attention.

Steven beamed in turn, and immediately went to unplug the freezer, carrying it on his back and walking to the exit.

Y/N once again took a big sip from his coffee cup, savoring the explosive flavor.

"Thank you again, Sadie. I should go follow him now, he might twist his ankle carrying it that way..."
Y/N said.

"No problem Y/N! Come back again soon!"
Sadie said, waving at the retreating Coal.

"I will come back again for the usual"
Y/N waved back before finally leaving the shop to follow Steven.

...

...

...

Y/N and Steven made their way back to their home. Steven was humming a joyful beat, while Y/N giggles at Steven's enthusiasm. Finally, they enter their home.

"Hey, guys! You won't believe this!"
Steven started to speak.

*GROAAR!*
A green centipede-like monster suddenly lunged at Steven pinning him to the ground while trying to bite him.

Y/N acted quickly, and summoned his weapon out from his Coal eye... The weapon being, his pickaxe.

Y/N immediately side-swiped at the the, what is known as, 'Centipeedle'. He punctured its skin and proofing it.

"What is happening here?"
Y/N questioned.

"Oh, sup Y/N! Sup Steven."
Amethyst spoke, using her whip to poof more Centipeedles.

In the background, Pearl and Garnet could be seen fighting even more Centipeedles. Y/N decided to join the fight to help in the eradication.

"Awesome! What are these things?"
Steven asked, placing the freezer on a nearby couch.

"Ugh! Sorry, Steven. We'll get these Centipeedles out of your room"
Pearl spoke as she arm-locks a Centipeedles head.

"We think they were trying to get into the temple."
Pearl said.

"Aww, you don't have to get rid of them. They're really cool!"
Steven said, approaching pearl.

Immediately after saying that, the Centipeedle Pearl was holding spat some green fluid. Apparently it was acidic, as the moment the fluid hit the floor it burned through it, creating a gaping hole in the ground.

Pearl and Steven wince at the damage it caused.

"Apparently they are acidic as well..."
Y/N muttered, piercing another Centipeedle through its head.

Amethyst whips a Centipeedle at a wall, poofing it with the hard impact.

"Um, you guys? These things don't have gems."
Amethyst spoke, realizing the Centipeedles don't drop anything upon death.

"That means there must be a mother somewhere nearby."
Garnet spoke, walking beside Pearl and Steven.

A Centipeedle hisses at Garnet. Garnet punches it using her gauntlets.

"We should probably find it before anyone gets hurt."
Pearl said.

"Ooh! Ooh! Can I come? Can I? Can I?"
Steven asked excitedly.

"Steven, it is still far too dangerous for you to come"
Y/N spoke, poofing a Centipeedle before approaching Steven.

"He's right, Steven. Until you learn to control the powers in your gem, we'll take care of protecting humanity, okay?"
Pearl said before snapping the neck of the Centipeedle she was arm-locking.

"Aww man... Hey! Get outta there!"
Steven notices a Centipeedle rummaging through the refrigerator.

"Ho on! Shoo! Shoo!"
Steven shoos the Centipeedle away.

The Centipeedle runs away, spilling a carton of milk in return.

"Aw, they got into everything!"
Steven said, inspecting the damages.

"Not cool!"
Steven yells at the Centipeedle.

Steven then looks into the freezer, there were some pink packets, with a smiling black cat design in the front of it. Stevens eyes shined when he realized what it was.

"No way! I-It can't be! Wha- where did you get these?! I thought they stopped making them!"
Steven picks up a packet and stares at it.

Y/N approaches Steve and closes the freezer door, in order for the ice-cream to not melt.

"It is true they have stopped making them. We decided to purchase what was left of it, for you, Steven"
Y/N said, ruffling Stevens hair.

"We stole them!"
Amethyst chimed, sitting on the counter.

"I went back and paid for them!"
Pearl said, standing beside Y/N.

"The whole thing was my idea"
Garnet said, standing beside Amethyst.

"It was everyone's idea"
Amethyst quickly added.

"Not really..."
Y/N muttered.

"All that matters is that Steven is happy."
Pearl spoke.

Okay... Now.... Let's be real here, you probably remember this episode like the back of your hand, so I'm not gonna bore you by writing the entire lyrics to the Cookie Cat song here. the only people who wouldn't skip the long dialogue of the Cookie Cat song, are people who've never watched Steven Universe, or... People who love the song way too much. so instead... im going to skip it.

After Steven's Amazing singing, the gems all laughed and clapped.

"I can't believe you did this! I'm gonna save these forever! ...Right after I eat this one"
Steven said, ripping open the pack and grabbing the Cookie Cat.

"Hello, old friend."
Steven said before taking a bite out of the Cookie Cats ear.

Steven smiled as he savored the taste.

"So good!"
Steven said.

Suddenly, his bellybutton gem started to glow a bright pink color. The gems all looked with surprise, while Y/N had a look of confusion.

"I like to eat the ears first"
Steven said, still unaware that he was glowing.

"Uh, Steven..."
Amethyst spoke, gesturing at Steven's gem.

"Wha? My gem!"
Steven said, lifting his shirt and revealing the glowing gem.

"Quick! Try and summon your weapon!"
Amethyst said.

"I don't know how!"
Steven said.

The gems glow then started fading out.

"Ahh! It's fading! How do I make it come back?!"
Steven asked in fright.

"Calm down, Steven. Breath. Don't force it."
Pearl tries to calm Steven down.

"Yeah... And try not to poop yourself, either."
Amethyst added.

"Please, don't"
Garnet spoke.

The gems glow finally faded out, all that was left was the normal gem.

The gems all sighed in disappointment, Y/N still continued to smile.

"Aw! I was really close that time!"
Steven whined.

"Do not worry, Steven. You will get your chance..."
Y/N spoke in an upbeat tone.

Steven sighed out of sadness.

"Can one of you just explain how to summon a weapon?"
Steven asked.

"Oh! I'll go first!"
Pearl said in a sing-song voice as she raised her hand.

...

...

Steven and Pearl are now in a different location. It was a grassy hill area with a huge tree in the middle of it and flowers blooming all around the place. Petals fell from every direction... It was truly relaxing.

"Pay attention to these petals, Steven."
Pearl spoke, gesturing at the falling petals.

"The petals dance seems improvised, but it is being calculated in real time, based on the physical properties of this planet. With hard work and dedication, you can master the magical properties of your gem and preform your own dance!"
Pearl spoke, before summoning her weapon, which was a spear.

Pearl twirled it around in a fluid motion, like a leaf in the wind.

"Like so"
She finished.

Steven watched in awe, before grabbing a handful of petals off the ground.

...

...

Steven was now behind the Big Donut, together with amethyst.

"Wah!"
Steven yelled, throwing the handful of petals in the air as Amethyst watches from behind while eating a donut.

"Did pearl tell you the petal thing?"
Amethyst asked.

"Yeah. I need to practice really hard so I can dance like a tree... I think"
Steven replied.

"Listen, Steven. All that practice stuff is no fun. Whenever I need to summon my weapon, it just happens!"
Amethyst spoke, taking a big bite out of her donut.

Amethyst then reaches into her gem and pulls out a long whip. She reels her arm back and whips a nearby dumpster, cracking it in half.

"See? Didn't try at all"
Amethyst said.

Steven rubs his head, confused as to why the two advices were so different. Lars then ran around the corner and shouted once he saw the broken dumpster.

"Again?!"
Lars yelled.

...

...

...

And finally, Steven and Garnet are standing on top of the giant statue that their house was built into.

"So I'm supposed to work really hard and not try at all at the same time?"
Steven asked Garnet.

"......yes"
Garnet replied.

Steven looked at her in confusion, and uncertainty.

"Or... You can link your mind with the energy of all existing matter, channeling the collective power of the universe through your gem, which results in..."
Garnet then did a few poses until finally summoning her Gauntlets.

"At least that's my way of doing it."
Garnet finished.

Steven seemed spaced out, thinking hard on all these advices he's been given. Steven shakes his head to snap out of his day-dreaming.

"Gosh, that seems hard............ Hey, Garnet, where did Y/N go?"
Steven asked, rubbing his head.

"He said, he would be in his room doing some work..... At least, that's what he told me"
Garnet replied.

"Aww, I wanted to ask him too. He's always so busy......"
Steven sighed.

...

...

...

"I think my best bet is to re-create what happened the last time my gen glowed."
Steven is now back at home, thinking of ways for his gem to glow again.

"Soo... Garnet and Amethyst were here."
Steven pointed at the counter.

Amethyst jumped up the counter and Garnet stood beside Amethyst.

"Pearl and Y/N were next to the fridge"
Steven said as Y/N, who has apparently finished his work, and Pearl got into position.

"Hmm, hmm... Amethyst, I think your arms were crossed"
Steven pointed at Amethyst, as she crossed her hands.

"Okay, your majesty"
Amethyst teased.

"And, Pearl, your foot was like this"
Steven said as he adjusted Pearl's foot.

"I do not think it works this way, Steven"
Y/N muttered.

"And, Garnet... Uh... Uh... Yeah."
Steven said, adjusting Garnets face, which gained a cute giggle from Y/N.

Steven then opened the fridge and pulled out his half-eaten Cookie Cat.

"Then I took a bite out of this Cookie Cat. Oh! Wait! I sang the song first!"
Steven said.

Steven then proceeded to half- the song.

"Aww... It was funnier last time"
Steven said, checking to see if his gem glowed, it didn't.

Steven sighed.

"Maybe I'm not a real crystal gem."
Steven said.

"Don't be silly, Steven. Of course you are."
Pearl knelt beside Steven and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"And your fun to have around, even if your gem IS useless."
Amethyst said, attempting to help.

Pearl growled at Amethyst, Y/N seemed to have an unreadable emotion on his face.

"I mean... Your one of us, Steven. We're not the crystal gems without you."
Amethyst corrected, afraid of Pearls wrath.

"And you are still just a kid, Steven. Enjoy it. You don't have to rush yourself to be a Crystal Gem just yet."
Y/N ruffling Stevens hair.

Garnet nodded at that.

"Yeah. Even if I don't have powers, I've still got... Cookie Cat!"
Steven said, taking a big bite out of the Ice-cream sandwich.

"So good!"
Steven said.

Then, Steven's gem began to glow once more, and this time... It summoned a shield with a slight rose pattern on it.

The gems gasped, while Y/N smiled at it with wide-eyes.

"Steven, it's a shield!"
Pearl said.

"Oh! What?! I get a shield?! Oooooooh, yeah!"
Steven jumped in excitement.

Unfortunately, Steven's jumping caused the shield to get thrown forward. The shield ricocheted around the house, only stopping once it connected with a TV.

Amethyst laughed, Pearl pinched the bridge of her nose, Garnet looked indifferent, while Y/N smiled proudly at Steven's achievement.

"Oh! Cookie Cat! I summon my weapon by eating ice cream!"
Steven came to that conclusion.

"Perhaps..."
Y/N muttered

"What's in these things?"
Pearl picked up the Cookie Cat wrapper and stared at it.

The ground suddenly shook as Centipeedles crawled from outside the window. A huge Centipeedle shadow suddenly crawled past, alerting the gems of it's presence.

"What was that?"
Steven questioned.

The gems all ran outside only to see a gigantic Centipeedle scaling the statue.

"It's the mother"
Garnet said.

Garnet then jumped towards the Mother Centipeedle, as the rest of the gems stare at it with slight fright.

"Steven... Stay inside."
Y/N said.

"No way! I'm coming too!"
Steven said.

Steven goes back inside to grab a handful of Cookie Cats. Meanwhile, outside, Garnet is seen kicking the Mother Centipeedle, only for it to shake off the attack. Garnet then jumps down to the ground, the rest of the gems follow her.

*ROAAAAAAAR!*
The Mother Centipeedle roared, spewing out acid from its mouth, which was also where it's eye was...

The gems all dodge the attack. They then ran behind the statues hand, that was protruding from the ground. Unfortunately, the Mother Centipeedle saw them, and decided to spew a steady stream of acid from its mouth, almost melting the hand.

"We could really use Steven's shield right about now."
Amethyst spoke.

"Hey!"
Steven's voice was heard, as he hurled a rock at the Mother Centipeedle.

"Leave them alone!"
Steven yelled, placing the Cookie Cat freezer on the ground.

"Steven! No!"
All the gems yelled.

"Cookie Cat crystal-combo powers, activate!"
Steven cringely yelled, taking a bite out off the Cookie Cat, only for it not to work.

"Uh, oh..."
Steven said, seeing that it wasn't working as he intended it to.

The Centipeedle roared at Steven, charging at him, Steven dodges the bite and backs away from it.

"We need to save Steven!"
Pearl yelled, only for the Centipeedles tail to chop off a piece of the statue's hand.

"Can we save ourselves first?!"
Amethyst yelled, taking cover from the tail.

The Centipeedle then focuses it's attention on Steven, preparing to lunge at him.

Without saying anything, Y/N jumps into action, running from behind the hand statue and dodging the acid.

*ROOAAAAR!*
The Mother Centipeedle lunges at Steven, only for Y/N to push Steven out of the way, resulting in him getting violently blasted back by the Centipeedle.

*CRASH!*
Y/N got flung far away, crashing through some rocks.

"Y/N!"
Steven yelled, unable to see where Y/N crashed.

The rest of the gems looked with worry, but they couldn't do anything. The Centipeedle began shooting it's acid back at the hand statue, not allowing the gems to escape.

Steven then notices his broken freezer. Steven decided to grab onto it and ran straight at the Mother Centipeedle.

"Cookie Caaaaaaaaaaat!"
Steven yelled out his questionable battle cry as he threw the broken freezer at the Centipeedle with full force.

The broken freezer flew through the air, before finally hitting the Mother Centipeedle, electrocuting it.

*ROAAAAAAAR!*
The Centipeedle roared, electricity stunning it in place.

Surprisingly, while the Centipeedle was stunned, Y/N jumped at it from out of nowhere!

"Y/N! You're okay!"
Steven yelled.

The rest of the gems were also relived that their friend was okay.

Y/N, now wielding his mighty pickaxe, cocked his arms back and delivered a strong blow right at the Mother Centipeedle's neck

*HIT!* *POOOOF!*
Y/N hits the Centipeedle, poofing it in an extraordinary explosion immediately!

Once the battle was over, Y/N landed on the ground and picked up the Mother Centipeedles gem.

"My apologies..."
Y/N muttered to the inanimate gem, before finally bubbling it and sending it away.

The gems and Steven came running at Y/N.

"Y/N, are you okay?!"
Steven asked with concern.

"I am fine, Steven"
Y/N replied, giving Steven a bright smile.

"You sure? No damages or anything?"
It was Amethyst who asked this time.

"No damages, Amethyst"
Y/N replied.

Y/N turns to the side and notices Steven burying a Cookie Cat wrapper. It was strange to watch... Y/N isn't really the sentimental type.

"Farewell, sweet Cookie Cats. I'll always remember the time we spent together."
Steven said, patting the patch of dirt and placing a leaf in the mound.

*grumbleee...*
Steven's stomach churned.

"Shh... Hush now."
Steven said to his stomach.

"Are you crying?"
Amethyst chimed in, kneeling beside Steven.

"Only a little!"
Steven yelled.

"Well, I guess your powers don't come from ice cream."
Amethyst said, now sitting beside Steven.

"Of course they don't come from ice cream!"
Pearl said, crouching beside Steven, and ruffling his hair.

"Do not worry, Steven. I am sure someday you will figure out how to activate that gem of yours"
Y/N said with a beaming smile.

"Yes. In your own Steven-y way"
Garnet said, smiling at Steven.

"I'm okay, guys! I just-"
*Grumbleee*
Steven's stomach churns once more.

This time, Steven clutches his stomach. He's probably getting a stomach ache.

"Uh, I think I ate too many Cookie Cats"
Steven sheepishly said.

The gang all chuckles... While Steven throws up in the sand...