Prologue

Coal: A Low Thing Loathing [su x male Coal reader]

*tink* *tink* *tink* *tink*

 

The sound of metal hitting stone echoed across a deep cave.

 

Welcome, to homeworld... A place of diversity and peace... What a joke. This place is just a planet where the Diamonds create battle-ready gems.

 

Discrimination, war crimes, slavery. The list goes on and on.

 

*tink* *tink* *tink* *tink*

 

Now, you may be asking yourself... 'who is making these noises?'

Well... It's a Coal! Yes, a singular coal.

 

Homeworld realized rasing Jaspers and Peridots holds more yield than raising Coal, so they halted Coal production.

 

What you see now, is a lonely Coal, chipping away at the rocks to make way for a new Kindergarten the Diamonds decided to make.

 

What will they have in this new kindergarten? Definitely not coal! No, this new kindergarten is another one of the Diamond's Jasper productions.

 

The lonely Coal kept chipping away at the rocks, thinking how much better his life would be if he wasn't born a Coal.

 

Not only that... But he was MALE! A defective, unwanted, and unneeded male Coal. He's been mining caves ever since he was born. Mine cave, repeat, mine cave, repeat. That's all he knows.

 

Since he's a useless gem, he has no one else to talk to. The only gems he sees are Peridots monitoring him, or... Battle gems making sure he doesn't escape. But even they won't talk to him.

 

I wouldn't say he's illiterate, Diamond's, no... he reads a lot of books in his spare time... His spare time being, traveling to a new mining area.

 

The reason he reads is because he's fascinated by the depictions the books portray. Huge mountains filled with grass and flowers, skies clear and blue with little patches of clouds here and there, plants and vegetation... He wishes he saw them.

 

Just the thought of running through a field of flowers, or... Climbing a tree makes his mind have s... That was probably a weird thing to say, but it's his true feelings!

 

Alas... He is but a lowly Coal. Not allowed freedom, not allowed free will, not even allowed to talk, though he tried, all he got was a zap on his back by one of the Peridots, and a 'keep working' from his guards.

 

The Coal's world was straight up tunnel vision... All he looks forward to is the cool rocks and minerals he finds while mining.

 

No aspirations, no wants, no desires. It's all just cave after cave. He hasn't even been given a break for Diamond's sakes!

 

He's pretty ignorant to the world... But, you know what they say... Ignorance is bliss... Heh, that only works for those who are innocent to begin with.

 

Yeah... It's a pretty sad life... But if you haven't lived a life to begin with... Then it's a normal life, and mining countless caves is the Coal's normal life...

 

But it's all about to change.

 

 

 

 

*tink* *tink* *tink* *tink* *tink* *tink* *tink* *tink-*

 

"I... I think I am done here..."

The lowly Coal muttered... But no answer.

 

"H-Hello?"

He looked behind him... No guards... No monitors... Nothing.

 

'where... Did they go?'

He thought to himself.

 

'did they just leave me? ...Well... That is pretty natural... They could have left me here to live out the rest of my life... Could they have blocked the entrance? Probably...'

He continued to brainstorm.

 

He thought of all the possibilities... Though he still couldn't make up his mind. Did they run? Maybe. Did they get attacked? Unlikely. Did they just leave for a break? Seems likely.

 

*Crck!*

A crunching noise alerted the Coal.

 

*CRASH!*

He looked up from his thinking to see rocks flying all over the place. What could that possibly be?

A loud crash echoed through the cave, as a huge boulder fell from the air.

 

The Coal crouched in the corner, shielding his eyes from the airborne debris. Then, it came to a halt. The Coal looked up, only to see a peculiar trio of gems standing a few feet from him.

 

"Are you okay?"

A pale skinny gem with a weirdly pointed nose said, slowly approaching the dust covered Coal.

 

"Y...Yes?"

The Coal hesitantly spoke, still not sure about the situation.

 

No one has ever asked him if he was okay, let alone another gem!

 

"Do you want to come with us?"

The pale woman spoke.

 

Pretty straightforward, but they are in a hurry. They just took out a few Jasper, of course they're in a hurry.

 

"T-To where?"

The Coal asked.

 

"Freedom..."

It was the tall afro haired woman's turn to speak.

 

That seemed to do the trick, as the Coal's eyes lit up with fascination, intently staring at the afro haired woman.

 

"Will I... Will I be able to see flowers?"

The Coal asked, tiling his head slightly to the right and taking a half-step forward, getting closer to the gems.

 

The gem's felt sympathy upon hearing that.

 

"Dude, you'll be able to see EVERYTHING!"

It was the short and purple woman that spoke this time, a slight raspiness to her voice, but a strong voice nonetheless.

 

"O-Okay!"

The Coal beamed with excitement.

 

"C'mon... What's your name, little Coal?"

The tall woman spoke.

 

"It is..."

The Coal then realized that he really doesn't have a name.

 

So... He thought of one. Calling himself Coal is pretty common, additionally since there aren't any more Coals in the world, he'd have a unique name... But he doesn't want to be called what he is. After a few seconds of thinking, he finally decided to call himself something.

 

Something from the books he read, the main character to the amazing fairytale he read a while back. It was one of his favorite books, and the way the MC went adventuring with their friends really filled the Coal with fascination. So, he finally decided...

 

"Y/N... My name is Y/N"

The Coal smiled slightly.

 

"Well then, Y/N... Welcome to the Crystal Gems"