A Sacrifice to be made

Bundled in furs

Youngho remained silent as he ate his lunch and it made Kun a little worried if he had offended the prince. They finished the meal and Kun had asked if he could retire to a room to rest for a little while to which Youngho nodded to.

 

“Let me show you to your room.” Youngho stood and assisted Kun from his chair, taking his hand and leading him out of the dining hall and towards the west wing, or the guest quarters. Lebing and Meili followed their charges.

 

“I hope it is to your liking, we had set up the fire place.” Youngho pointed to the stone fireplace by one of the walls and Lebing instantly plopped down on the rug in front of it.

 

“That’s lovely.” Kun chuckled.

 

“Would you like a tour?” Youngho offered and Kun nodded.

 

“I’ll just change out of these travelling clothes, they are stuffy.” Kun said an Youngho smiled back.

 

“I’ll leave you to it then, you can just look for me when you are ready, the servants know where I am.” Youngho said, then took Kun’s hand and kissed it one more time before he exited the room.

 

“He’s a charming man isn’t he?”  Kun turned to Lebing and raised a brow. “I merely spoke of the truth Kun.” Lebing added, yawning right after.

 

He definitely is, but he is a crowned prince.” Kun answered his Spirit animal.

 

I don’t see any problem with that.” Lebing shrugged.

 

One of us would need to step down.” Kun explained and Lebing sighed.

 

Of course it was a dilemma for Kun, he finds Youngho  Handsome from the get go and a gentleman too, but being crowned princes, they both knew, the responsibility of the kingdom comes before their happiness. Kun sighed and shrugged of the coat and then took one of his clothes from the luggage and went to the en suite bathroom to change. The trousers were a shade of brown with matching coat, and he wore a white button down. Red gems decorated the lapel of his coat  that was the thickest their kingdom made. But the Pandora’s climate was colder so he still took the fur coat and wore it over his ensemble before he walked towards the door. Lebing stretched his back before he walked over to his chage, joining him for an afternoon stroll.

 

Kun asked a passing servant and she gladly escorted him towards the South wing were the offices were, she informed the guards of the prince’s desire to talk to Kun before she bowed at him and left him for the guards to him towards Prince Youngho’s office. The doors were elaborately decorated and Kun admired the craftsmanship that went into making it. The soldier knocked and announced Kun’s presence before they opened it and allowed Kun to enter.  

 

The office was huge, fitting for a crowned prince, and Meili was sat on a corner, clearly intended for her with how it was furnished, and she bowed her head when Kun entered. Youngho was sat on his chair pouring over documents, with the afternoon sun hitting him and making him glow. Kun’s breath was caught in his throat as Youngho moved his head up and smiled as he saw his visitor.

 

“Ready for the tour?” Youngho asked and Kun nodded, the words may have left him. Youngho stood and grabbed a coat, the colors of Pandor was eminent in the clothing, and then handed it to Kun. “this is a better fit than the coat and will keep you warm.” Youngho explained.

 

“Don’t you need it?” Kun asked makin Youngho shook his head.

 

“I have been blessed with the power of ice, the cold doesn’t affect or bother me.” Youngho explained and Kun shrugged off the fur coat and placed it on the nearest surface, a chair, and then Youngho helped him into the coat. The white and blue coat was definitely warm but was a little large on him given the size of the alpha that was intended to wear it. The coat was also longer on him and it almost reached his feet.  ‘You look cute.” Youngho smiled as he complimented the prince and Kun blushed hearing it.

 

The tour began outside the castle and Johnny made sure that no wind blew to make the omega prince colder than he already is. The gardens  were frozen at this time so it wasn’t a sight to see but Lebing nudged Johnny to walk towards the lake, the frozen water was still beautiful and he hadn’t had a catch of salmon for the day. Youngho chukled at Lebing nad informed Kun of the plan. The walk was calming and when the lake was in sight, lebing ran happily towards the water while Meili shook her head before she took off and joined Lebing in the water.

 

“Does he enjoy catching fish at Weishen?” Youngho asked nd Kun nodded.

 

“Lebing is playful, he can be a monster when he’s serious but he keeps that reserved and just be as laid back as he could. He said that I am serious enough for the both of us.” Kun explained.

 

“Exactly like Meili, though the opposite.” Youngho replied and then waved his hand to break some ice, Meili glared at him but Lebing excitedly ran even further to catch the salmon.  “Do you know how to skate?” Youngho asked Kun who shook his head. “I’ll teach you, grab my hand.” Youngho said as he offered his hand.

 

Kun held the hand and with his free hand, Youngho waved for ice to form on the bottom of their shoes, it was sharp as blades. Youngho then carefully helped Kun to walk towards the frozen lake and gently guided and stabilized him when they landed on the ice. Kun was a little wobbly but it was his first time to skate, he knew nothing about it.

 

“you have to glide to move, let the blades do the work for you.” Youngho said and gently moved to let Kun experience moving. Kun let out a squeal as they moved making Youngho laugh but he did not let go.

 

Youngho moved a little more and Kun finally reigned himself and straightened his knees so he can balance himself. When Kun got a little more confidence, Youngho let go of one of his hands and they skated side by side. Kun was smiling, this felt so good as the wind blew past him as he skated around. Youngho was beaming, he was smiling as he looked at Kun having fun. It may sound cliched but it felt like he had known Kun all his life and that they belong to each other. Was this how they would describe soulmates? Kun had let go of Youngho’s hand and skated by himself, Kun truly is a remarkable person, an achiever and a mold breaker. Youngho still skated near him, he did not want Kun to slip or fall. And it did happen when Kun hit a protruding ice and he flailed as he started to fall. But he felt warm arms instead of cold ice and when he opened his eyes, he saw a smiling Youngho peering down on him. “I won’t let you fall nor allow you to get hurt.” Youngho said and Kun laughed and thanked him.

 

 

After skating, they returned to the castle with Youngho asking if he wanted some snacks. Kun agreed and Youngho led him to the kitchens. They passed by the grand ball room and Kun saw a piano at the corner; Youngho could see stars in Kun’s eyes.

 

“Do you play?” Youngho asked and Kun nodded. “Would you like to try playing?” Youngho asked and Kun nodded and ran towards the piano.

 

Kun ran his hand on the polished wood, it was a beautiful piece and Kun appreciated the work that had put into making it. He opened the cover and keys were immaculate. He sat on the bench and pressed a key, the sound filled the empty ball room and it delighted him.

 

“Do you have a song request?” Kun asked Youngho who shook his head.

 

“Play whatever you want.” Youngho said, standing next to the piano and looking at Kun with an expectant smile.

 

Kun pursed his lips in thought then started pressing the keys as the music filled the room. Youngho smiled wider, familiar with the classic piece, a love song of a parent to a child, a popular lullaby. Youngho found himself sitting next to Kun who had left a space for him and with eye contact and shy smiles, youngho joined Kun in playing, a reciprocal piece, a song of the child to his parents, the filial and respect given to the people who raised them. Kun and Youngho played in sync despite meeting just a few hours prior, like they had been in harmony all their lives. Their fingers danced across the keys but their eyes were at each other, looking at the galaxy that reflected in each other’s eyes.

 

 

“I hate to break this beautiful melody but can I request for a song?” They broke eye contact with flushed faces and Kun turned to Taeyong. “Can I?” Taeyong was grinning sheepishly.

 

“Sure.” Kun said and Taeyong instantly grabbed Yuta and led him at the center of the ballroom. “The river flows in you.” Taeyong yelled out and Kun nodded and started playing almost immediately.

 

Taeyong and Yuta danced the waltz gracefully and it made Kun smile wide with endearment. The couple danced a few bars when Kun noticed Sicheng and Yongqin by the door. Youngho looked at where Kun was looking and smiled. “Join them.” Youngho called out then started playing a complimentary chord. Kun’s eyes went wide as he looked at Youngho who just smiled at him, it was now a piano duet and Taeyong called out to the two vision to join them.

 

The tempo slowed down as Sicheng and Yongqin walked towards the center, bowing gracefully before starting to dance the waltz in time with the music. The steps were a little different than what Yuta and Taeyong were doing but it was similar enough, there was a balance and cohesiveness between the two cultures.

 

Youngho and Kun played as long as they could and as the music ended, three pairs of smiles and glittering eyes were witnessed by the paintings inside the grand ball room.

 

 

Kun had a great time at Pandora, but he couldn’t stay forever, he has his duties as a prince of Weishen. As he hugged their host before their goodbyes, Kun felt a heavy feeling that he couldn’t shake off, and maybe when Yougnho wrapped his arms around him and kissed the top of his head, that’s when the feeling sunk in, he was parting with his soulmate.

 

Kun cried on his journey back, tucked in the furs of Lebing as the spirit animal tried to comfort his charge. Kun’s heart was breaking but his own happiness is only second to his duty as a crowned prince. He knew that his people needed his just as much as Pandora needed Youngho.

 

Upon returning to Weishen, Junhui greeted his twin however, one look at the older and Junhui immediately knew that he was suffering and in deep pain. Junhui had wrapped his arms around the twin and allowed his brother to cry, painful woes hurt him as well yet he could not ask for a reason at the moment. Kun cried until he passed out, the pain of his shattering had never ceased as if a part of it was frozen and left at Pandora.

 

“Kun, what happened?” Junhui asked, his brother’s hair gently while Hongjun  and Lebing curled on their feet.

 

“Junhui.” Kun muttered as tears started form in his eyes.  “I left my heart in Pandora.” Kun sobbed out and Junhui could only hold his brother tightly.

 

“Would you like to return?” Junhui asked but he felt Kun shook his head.

 

“My people needs me, I havea duty to them.” Kun answered and Junhui nodded.

 

“But shouldn’t you still think of your own happiness?” Junhui asked  but Kun shook his head. “You know that I’ll support you no matter what you decide to do, whether it is to take the crown or step down, I’ll always be here for you and will not leave you.” Junhui reminded his twin brother.

 

‘Thank you.” Kun murmured.

 

 

---

 

Youngho felt cold, it wasn’t the weather, it was the warmth of the flames Kun had enveloped him. He was distracted and he stared at the distance, dazed and silent, which made Taeyong concerned for his twin brother.

 

“Youngho.” Taeyong called out and Youngho looked at him, eyes blank like life was drained out of him. ‘You’ve got to stop doing this to yourself!” Taeyong blurted out.

 

“What am I doing to myself?” Youngho asked back, not really understanding.

 

Taeyong sighed and shook his brother. “This. Why are you hurting yourself?” Taeyong asked, voice a little louder to shake the brother into reality. “Snap out of it Youngho!” Taeyong shouted and Youngho glared at him.

 

“You don’t understand the pain Taeyong, You’re not the one who lost their soulmate.” Youngho shouted back and both Ruby and Meili became alert as the two brothers glared at each other.

 

“Then why don’t you get him back?” Taeyong dared to ask.

 

“I can’t. He has a duty to Weishen as I have duty to Pandora!” Youngho replied the obvious.

 

“You can step down, you can marry Kun.” Taeyong informed him.

 

“Is this what it is? You want me to abandon my people? You want me to look bad so you can claim the crown?” Youngho asked, voice bitter and hurt. “Is this all you wanted? The crown?”Youngho spat at Taeyong.

 

‘No, I don’t want it but if that will make you happy I am willing to.” Taeyong answered him, truthful and sincere. “I don’t want the responsibilities but I don’t want you hurting! Yuta doesn’t even want to be a consort, that is too much responsibility but for your happiness, he is willing to sacrifice his freedom.” Taeyong said, voice a little frustrated. “We are willing to do things for you Youngho, we don’t want to see you suffering.” Taeyong approached his brother who was now on his knees, crying hard as the pain finally broke the wall he tried to build. Taeyong embraced his brother as he held his own tears back. “We had it easy Youngho, I was never asked to marry into wealth or politics, I have Yuta who is neither a royal nor of wealth. And we won’t be happy if you are in so much pain.” Taeyong said. “We won’t be able to forgive ourselves if you won’t be able to find happiness when we can do something about it.” Taeyong said and held his brother tightly. Taeyong had noticed that Ruby and Meili had near them, each animal settling on their either side.

 

“I can’t.” Youngho replied.

 

“You can’t what?” Taeyong asked.

 

“I can’t let everyone down.” Youngho replied.

 

“Falling in love is not letting anyone down. You should chase your own happiness too Youngho.” Taeyong tried to assure his brother.

 

“My people’s happiness is my happiness.” Taeyong knew that was a lie but he did not correct his brother.

 

----

 

When Weishen received an invitation for the wedding of the crowned prince of Pandora a few months after his visit. Kun stood before his parents in shock. He was contemplating on giving up the crown but the news hit him like an avalanche and buried him in coldness unexplained. He knew someone held him but he couldn’t feel anything, he was numb and his body was like a mere shell, he had lost everything.

 

He cried, Lebing held his charge as the prince wailed his broken heart. He was stupid to think of stepping down for a man who he met shortly, who he thought shared the same feelings and connection that he felt. He was wrong and the pain pierced his heart and he bled out, figuratively.

 

My dear prince, let it all out.” Lebing comforted his charge and the prince kept his body cuddled in the  fur of Lebing, the animal protecting and comforting his charge the best he could.

 

 

When the monarch were set to leave for the wedding, Kun wore his Kingdom’s colors and boarded the coach assigned to him. Junhui was with him as well as Hongjun and Lebing, and the three respected his silence and tried their best to be there for him. Kun was pale, even paler than what he used to, and he’d lost some weight. He’s still beautiful, but Junhui can see the dark circle in his twin’s eyes and the emptiness in his eyes.

 

“Kun, you can rest.” junhui said and Kun merely nodded.

 

 

Kun tried to look happy as they finally arrived for the wedding. The family declined a suite in the palace, considerate of what Kun was feeling, and opted for a nearby inn,the staffs were kind and accommodating just as the ones in the palace. Kun had realized that Pandora’s hospitality is as warm as the flames of Weishen, and he would’ve loved it here, but it won’t be the case.

 

The Weishen monarchs had worn their colors for the wedding, their brown suits covered in Ruby and diamonds. They walked with confidence and grace, and they earned admiration and attention from the attendees. They were seated near the front of the church and Kun felt hurt about it, they really want to mock him. He kept his thoughts to himself, not wanting to raise an unnecessary war on a kingdom because he felt hurt, his people comes first.

 

The strings were played to signal the start of the wedding march and everyone looked at how Meili walked first followed bu Youngho, the prince was wearing a white suit with diamond and sapphire meticulously placed on the lapels and sleeves, and a simple circlet on his hair, adorned similarly with sapphires and diamonds.  Youngho walked with elegance and when he passed where Kun sat, their eyes met and he saw the pain in the omega’s eyes. Kun looked down, cutting the eye contact short, and did not raise his head for the rest of the wedding march. Kun had missed the longing in Youngho’s eyes as he stood at the altar stairs.

 

“We are gathered here to celebrate the union of Crowned Prince Taeyong and his mate Yuta.” Kun raised his head and looked at the altar, gasping as he saw Taeyong and Yuta, both wearing white and with a more elaborate circlets on their heads, holding hands and facing the bishop who was officiating the ceremony. He then turned his head at the side where Youngho was standing with Ruby and Meili on his either sides.

 

Youngho’s lips were quivering and his eyes were shining with unshed tears as he looked at Kun. Kun felt his eyes getting hot and his vision was getting blurry but he couldn’t look away, not when Youngho was staring at him with that longingness in his eyes.

 

It was a blur, he couldn’t think of anything else and he felt like he was in a daze or a black hole, there was nothing he could feel or hear. Kun was confused, was he hallucinating? But when the familiar arms wrapped around him and the faintest call of his name was whispered in his ear, Kun got back to reality and he finally shed tears as he saw Youngho.

 

“Kun.” Youngho whispered once more and Kun buried his face on Youngho’s chest.

 

“Youngho.” Kun muttered, voice muffled by the coat that is getting soaked by the prince’s tears. “You stepped down?” Kun asked, raising his head to look at the other prince who was crying himself.

 

 

“Yes. I did.” Youngho replied.

 

“But why?” Kun asked, tears continued to fall from his eyes.

 

“Because I want to.” Youngho replied. “I love you Kun, and I’d do anything for you, for us and for me.” Youngho answered.

 

“I was willing to step down Youngho, he invitation, it said you were getting married.” Kun cried even more.

 

“It’s my doing, we didn’t want the others knew of the change in  the lineage.” Kun turned to Taeyong. “I’m sorry if it caused you pain Kun.” Taeyong bowed his head and Kun untangled himself from  Youngho to embrace the younger twin.

 

“Thank you for allowing Youngho to step down.” Kun said.\

 

“Anything for my brother, and for my kingdom.” Taeyong assured him then kissed his temple before allowing Kun to embrace Yuta who was smiling wide at him.

 

“Smile for me Kunnie.” Yuta remarked and Kun tried to smile despite the tears the was still staining his face. Yuta wiped them gently and kissed his other temple before Youngho stepped in pulled Kun into a kiss, sweet and chaste.

 

Kun was left breathless but he smiled and leaned in once more for a kiss while Taeyong and Yuta proudly looked at them, and Junhui congratulating the newly wed. King  Yixing and King Consort Junmyeon rolled their eyes at the theatrics but King Yunho just laughed at his son earning a jab from his Consort Jaejoong.

 

“We’re not cruel to separate our son with his soulmate.” Yunho informed Yixing.

 

“I was ready to marry him off when we received the invitation, you know.” Yixing replied I would require a hefty dowry after you made my son cry and now he looks ugly.” Yixing retorted.

 

“Kun isn’t ugly.” Youngho retorted and it made Junhui full on laugh.

 

“Baba calls us ugly all the time, Kun is just uglier now because of all that crying.” Junhui remarked and Youngho glared at him but the youngest alpha in the room just shrugged his shoulders, unbothered.

 

“You got thinner Kun, weren’t you eating well?” Youngho asked, cupping the omega’s cheeks.

 

“I had no appetite.” Kun replied.

 

“We can’t have that can we?” Youngho said and Kun nodded. “You’re sleeping with me tonight, Okay?” Youngho said but before Kun could nod his agreement, Yixing was quick to take his son away from Youngho.

 

“Absolutely not, you’ll only share a room when you’re married.” Junmyeon huffed then stormed out of the room, dragging a pouting Kun with him.

 

“I’ll make sure he does.” Yixing winked at him then laughed as he followed his mate, Junhui bowed his head at them and left with his parents.

 

Youngho then turned to his brother and his brother-in-law and the two were smiling wide and happy for him. The three had a group hug, and Youngho was thankful that he had them in his life. Taeyong will be a great and just leader for Pandora, he’s sure of it.

 

“You better be the best consort for Kun or else.” Yuta warned and it made Youngho chuckle.

 

“Do you see those two glaring at me?” Youngho pointed at Meili and Lebing who were indeed glaring at Youngho. “I’ll get mauled if I even make Kun shed a single tear again.” Youngho said and the two bears snorted, glad that Youngho knew.

 

 

“Glad that we’re on the same page.” Yuta winked at Meili and Lebing who both howled at him in acknowledgement.

 

“Come on, let’s pry Kun away from his protective father.” Youngho gestured the two bears who gladly followed the alpha out of the room, the rest followed after for the reception dinner.

 

 

A/n: Well that was longer than intended.  So anyway, I apologize for the angst, It wasn’t intentional, it just wanted to be included in here.