Lebing and Meili

Bundled in furs

The Weishen people had been hunters an warriors such that there are annual hunts around their territories, capturing (but not over killing) game for their festivals and in turn food to share with the people who thrive with the protection of the flames of their monarch. Today was no different, as Kun, Fire Prince, has  been crowned as the rightful heir of the throne.  The prince himself has been deemed a prodigy at birth whose fingers thrummed with the power of the flames even at a young age. Prince Kun did not tower over anyone however, his magic and strategic brain were not to be questioned as he bested every capable warrior in his kingdom to earn the circlet around his head, a masterpiece of gold and ruby.

 

‘Prince Kun, we cannot find Lebing.” Yongqin, his best friend and right hand man informed him and Kun sighed.

 

Lebing is is his animal spirit, a ferocious brown bear that had found him at infancy, and together they grew inseparable unless the bear decided to lounge somewhere and hibernate.

 

“Let him be, he doesn’t like hunting very much.” Kun chuckled because despite being a predator, the bear seemed to be more of a cuddly toy inside his room rather than participate in the tradition. “He’ll make himself known when he’s hungry.” Kun assured him and then worn the quiver full of arrows, his preferred weapon.

 

 

“We’ll head out then your highness.” Yongqin bowed and walked out first.

 

Kun stood tall before his parents who had given him their blessings before they addressed the people from their balcony.

 

“Prince Kun shall lead today’s hunt, but whoever had caught the biggest game shall be rewarded, regardless of status.” King Yixing addressed the waiting crowd who cheered. “Let’s have a clean hunting season, for Weishen.” King Yixing shouted, raising his fist while the crowd erupted in cheers.

 

Kun rolled his eyes at how dramatic his father was, it’s not like they are going to war but he guessed that’s how the alpha king is, a charismatic leader through and through. He heard his twin brother chuckle next to him and Kun glared at him. Prince Junhui is the younger twin of the two and although Kun was the lesser gender, an omega, Yixing still crowned his first born as the heir apparent to the throne.

 

“you know how baba is. See you at the plaza then brother.” Junhui winked at him and with head high, he lead his group, fondly named as Attaca, along with his animal spirit, a foxed named Hongjun.

 

Kun watched the retreating back of his brother and his group, quiver full of arrows and a sword to his hip. Kun really admired his twin, such beauty and grace despite being an alpha, and his animal spirit is as cunning as he is, he could only wish the same for Lebing. The twins shared the same flame, a fire burning in their core as heirs of the Fire Kingdom, and if fate decided to rear its ugly head at them, Kun is confident that his twin could take the crown for him at anytime.

 

“Vision ready?” Kun called out, not needing to turn to know that his entourage of skilled warriors were right behind him.

 

“Ready when you are, my prince.” Yongqin replied and Kun grinned as he too walked out of the palace to start the hunt.

 

Kun and Vision knew the hunting grounds by heart, had trained day in and day out during their formative years. They knew the ins and outs of the forest, despite the thickness of the foliage and the lack of visibility it provided. They knew the songs of the trees and the pit a pat of hooves from deers and the snort of a wild boar.

 

Guangheng raised his arrow and aimed at the distance, silent cues passed around the vision. He was ready to attack and bring home the first catch. Kun eyed the target, his vision trying to catch the prey that Guanheng was aiming at. As the arrow was released and flew past the trees, Kun saw the flash of white and in a split second, he had burned the arrow mid flight, turning it to ashes before it landed on the creature ahead.

 

“Prince Kun!” Guanheng was dumbfounded, the prince had never questioned his judgement before nor his aim.

 

“Hold your bows.” Kun firmly said as he took light steps and approached the creature ahead.

 

The white was its fur, soft and gleaming, a stark contrast to the browns and greens of the Weishen forest. Kun was not mistaken, he knew that the animal was no prey and when he had reached the place where the creature sat, his jaws drop and he fell on his knees.

 

“prince.” Sicheng called out softly and the prince raised his hand, stopping the vision from making any more move.

 

Kun eyed the creature and he was surprised, such creature should not be in their territory, it was impossible unless it was there for a mission.

 

You are wise my prince.” Kun blinked as he heard the words, a female voice that he knew can only came from one creature, the polar bear before him. “My name is Meili, and yes I am a spirit animal from Pandora, the Ice Kingdom.” Kun blinked at the creature, he was not imagining things, the polar bear spoke through his mind.

 

If you are a spirit animal from Pandora, why are you here?” Kun asked through his mind and the polar bear stood on her full height, alerting the Vision but Kun firmly told them to not make a move.

 

I came to fetch you my prince, it is the right time that you meet my dear child.” Meili replied and Kun was confused. “Let’s just say, I am taking Lebing’s place for a while.” Meili said and then finally bowed to Kun who once again bowed at the creature.

 

 

“Let’s continue the hunt, we’ll worry about Meili after.” Kun barked out and walked towards the bear, offering his hand to the creature who it in acknowledgement. “lead the way then.” Kun said and Meili nodded and elegantly walked towards a deeper part of the forest, towards the river.

 

“are you sure about this Prince Kun?” Guanheng asked and kun nodded.

 

“Well, at least this one likes to hunt, Lebing would never.” Kun said with a smirk and the rest of vision laughs.

 

Lebing is really  useless sometimes. But he has his charms.” Kun heard Meili and he nodded in agreement, Lebing has his moments though.

 

They broke though the river and Kun smirked as he signalled for Guanheng to aim towards a stag with antlers as majestic as the creature the it is. Meili crouched low as she waited for Kun to load his arrow, and in the silent of the moment, the arrow flew and it landed straight into the neck of the stag and it let out a pained cry. Guangheng flew another arrow and it ended the life of the stag, quick and easy, not prolonging the agony of the animal. The vision moved quickly to gather their catch and Kun motioned to Meili to cool down by splashing in the river, the bear happily did so, even catching some fishes to munch on.

 

“She’s really pretty.” Xiaojun remarked and Kun smiled at him.

 

“She is doesn’t she? But she doesn’t belong here, she’s going to overheat in our weather.” Kun replied.

 

“What do you suggest then?” Sicheng asked, securing the stag into a board that they’ll use to carry the animal.

 

“It’s time to pay Pandora a visit.” Kun replied with his beautiful smile.

 

 

 

----

 

The vast white covered Pandora, a kingdom of the ice weilders. The weather was always cold, colder than most kingdoms, but the people still thrive despite the nine months of cold weather out of twelve. Yet the calm was broken when the alarms sounded and the guards raised their bows and arrows.

 

“What’s happening?” Crowned prince Youngho,  walked towards the guards at the front of the castle.

 

“intruder.” Taeyong, Youngho’s twin brother and second prince,  replied. “Yeongung is on the front line.” Taeyong added.

 

Youngho stepped in front and when he looked at the intruder, he was confused because a brown bear sat amidst the white snow, chilling like he had been in a park or something.

 

oh hello Prince Youngho.”  Youngho blinked, did he hear the bear talk in his mind? “Yes, you did your majesty.”  Oh, Youngho realized that this was a spirit animal.

 

“Stand down.” Youngho barked out as he strode confidently towards the animal.

 

“Are you crazy?” Doyoung barked out but Youngho just raised his hand to shut the adviser up.

 

“Yeah, when you saw me talk to Meili before, you called me crazy. This is the same.” Youngho replied and then stopped a few feet in front of the bear then knelt to give his respect, the bear bowed his head.

 

 

You know my name but I have yet to know yours.” Youngho said and the bear snorted.

 

It’s Lebing your majesty and I came from the kingdom of Weishen.”  Lebing answered.

 

That’s a whole different climate, aren’t you cold?”  Youngho asked and the bear hummed.

 

I came for the salmon, Meili said you have the best here.”  Youngho laughed at how the bear looked so excited for the food.

 

I can’t with you, would you like to try it then?” Youngho asked and Lebing stood tall before he went down on all fours. He walked towards Youngho and then the prince’s cheek.

 

Lead the way then.”  Lebing said nad Youngho stood on his full height then walked towards the side of the castle where the river was.

 

“We’re fishing apparently.” Youngho chuckled and Taeyong dispersed the guards but called yeongung to follow the prince.

 

Youngho walked with light steps, maneuvering the place expertly and leading the bear towards the frozen river where the salmon thrives. The river was still covered with chunks of ice but the sight of jumping salmon made the bear happily ran towards the water to catch the fish and have a taste of the prized salmon.  Youngho laughed watching the bear play in the water and tried to catch the fish that were like playing with the bear, something that meili would never do, she’s so uptight sometimes.

 

“Do we need to return him?” Jaehyun asked but Youngho was not sure.

 

I am sure my owner will come here in a few days.” Youngho heard the bear.

 

“We’ll wait, someone will fetch him.” Youngho answered Jaehyun who nodded.

 

“At least tell him how to hunt salmon properly.” Yuta gestured to the bear who was taking his sweet time catching the fish.

 

“Let him enjoy this, he looks like he’s having fun.” Youngho replied.

 

“He’s not going to die of hypothermia?” Jungwoo asked and Youngho shook his head.

 

“He’s not your ordinary bear, he got this.” Youngho smiled and then raised a hand to shatter a sheet of ice, giving Lebing a few more area to run around and catch his prized salmon.

 

Lebing emerged from the river with the biggest salmon on his snout, and he’s proud of his catch. Youngho extended a hand and rubbed the bear’s head, Lebing allowing it, recognizing that the prince was praising him for his work.

 

Would you like to eat here or inside the palace?” Youngho asked and Lebing nudge his head indicating that he’ll want to rest in the warmth of the palace walls.

 

They made their way back towards the castle and the bear was led to a sitting room, a roaring fire was lit and the bear settled on a warm fur rug and ate his salmon in peace. Youngho turned to Taeyong who raised his brow at his brother, and Ruby, a Siberian tiger who is Taeyong’s spirit animal, made her presence known and approached the bear.

 

“We’ll have to wait for the Weishen contingent.” Youngho explained and Ruby settled next to Lebing who pushed a piece of the salmon towards her.

 

“Do we have a choice then?” Taeyong sighed then left the room to arrange the reception of the Weishen contingents.

 

It was a few days when they received a post with the Weishen Royal seal. Youngho read the letter and smiled, giving it to Doyoung to archive. The letter informed them that Prince Kun will visit the kingdom, with Meili accompanying the prince. The entourage included the inner circle of the prince and a few more guards, a standard protocol for travelling monarchs. Youngho had instructed that the entourage should be received well and that fur coats be prepared for them, as they knew the Weishens are more of a tropical dwellers, the fire blessing the monarchs in contrast to the ice of the Pandora’s monarchs.

 

-----

 

Kun boarded his carriage and called in Meili to join him. The bear entered the carriage carefully and settled on the front side to balance the weight of the carriage, with the luggage at the back. The travel would take days at least and Kun was dreading it to be honest, however, he has a duty to meet the Pandoran prince and return the polar bear to where it belongs. As the hours passed, Kun grew sleepy, Meili called him out to lie next to her to which kun complied as he snuggled on the side of the bear and felt the warmth of the fur. Kun closed his eyes in comfortable silence as the bear watched over him like a mother to a child.

 

Meili smiled as she watched the prince sleep, the prince is a beautiful omega, and she hopes her charge could also see the beauty of the prince. Kun scrunched his nose as it got irritated by the fur and it made Meili chuckle, he Is adorable too, something she was sure Youngho would love.

 

 

---

 

Youngho found Lebing to be extremely laid back, quite a contrast with Meili who was strict with him but he understood the intent of his spirit animal, the polar bear just wanted what’s best for him and to balance him out as he is the crowned prince of Pandora. Lebing was lounging by the fire, enjoying the heat against the cold weather.

 

You should rest for a while, it would take a day or two before they arrive. Sit with me young prince.” Lebing called him out and Youngho yawned before nodding and sitting next to the bear. “Rest my dear prince, it’s warm.” Lebing said and Youngho yawned once more before he rest his back and head on the bear’s warm fur.

 

Lebing chuckled as he watch the prince gently snore, a little loud but endearing nonetheless. The alpha was extremely handsome and charismatic, with the right sense of judgement and a good leader in training. Meili had been good at choosing Youngho as her charge. Taeyong came to look for his twin brother but when he saw the prince cuddled up with the bear who looked like hibernating, Taeyong smiled and led Ruby out of the room to give his twin a much needed rest.

 

 

---

 

The Weishen contingent arrived at the border of the Kingdom of Pandora. The guards stopped them for protocol inspection with yongqin handing over a copy of the notification they sent over to the Kingdom a few days back. The guard inspected it but asked to check their luggage for safety and the Weishen allowed them to do so. They also requested that the prince step down from his carriage which Kun did so, followed by Meili who surprised the guards.

 

“Is this the prince’s animal spirit?” The guard asked and Kun shook his head.

 

“She’s the Pandoran Prince’s animal spirit, I am to return her as she ventured into our territory.” Kun explained and Meili nudged her snout to tap the guard’s leg, getting his attention. Meili then showed her neck and it has the collar with the sapphire gemstone and the emblem of the Pandora monarchy.

 

“oh, indeed, we apologize for the hold up, we will you to the palace. It may take a day or two for a travel to the castle.” He explained and Kun thanked him for his assistance.

 

 

It took a day an a half, with the Weishen contingent arriving just before noon. Youngho and his entourage were ready to greet them at the gates of the castle. Meili was the first to alight the carriage, stretching her back before standing on her four paws. Kun then alighted the carriage, slightly shivering but Meili took to his side to give him warmth and encouraged the prince to cast flames to warm up the Weishen contingents.

 

 

“Hurry, the coats.” Taeyong barked the instructions and the servants hurriedly filed out to hand over the fur coats to the Weishen contingents. “You may want to greet the prince.” Taeyong nudged his twin who he noticed to be gaping at the other prince.

 

Lebing looked at the Pandoran prince then sighed before nudging his led with his snout then walked down the stone steps to greet his charge. Lebing growled softly and Kun smiled and welcomed his animal spirit, nuzzling its snout and giving his head a quick kiss. Yeah, lebing is not the most active bear, but he balances Kun out. Lebing then nuzzled his snout on Meili who snorted but his snout in response. Meili then howled to get Youngho’s attention.

 

“Oh right.” Youngho snapped out his trance and walked down the stone stairs to finally meet the prince. “I hope your travel did not tire you out prince Kun.” Youngho greeted them and both  bears rolled their eyes just as Kun extended a hand to the prince to shake but Youngho ended up kissing it instead.

 

“Oh, it was not as tiring, your guards let us rest at a very desirable inn.” Kun replied, red touched his cheeks either from the cold or the action of the handsome alpha before him.

 

“Shall I invite you to lunch then? My twin brother prepared the best dishes we could offer.” youngho said, transfering the princes hand, which he didn’t let go apparently, to his arm and led the prince up the stone stairs where Taeyong was rolling his eyes.

 

“I’m glad that you remembered me.” Taeyong then extended a hand to Kun to shake. “Im Taeyong, the younger twin and the saner of the two.” Taeyong introduced himself and then patted the tiger’s head. “This is Ruby.” The tiger bowed her head a little to acknowledge the monarch.

 

“Her name is the same as our gemstone.” Kun chuckled. “And you are twins too! I also have a twin, his name is junhui and he has a fox.” Kun shared.

 

‘Let’s have lunch now.” Youngho glared at his twin who just raised a brow.

 

“I’m already promised Youngho, never forget that.” Taeyong reminded his brother then walked first inside the castle to check on the dining room.

 

Youngho and Kun followed after, not letting go of the prince’s arm. Lebing and Meili followed their charges but stopped by the side of the room, opting to sit out and wait along with Ruby who had nuzzled her head into Meili, she clearly missed her friend.

 

Everyone settled on their chair, with Youngho offering the seat next to him, opting not to seat at the head of the table which was reserved for the king. The meal was exceptional, and Kun kept praising Taeyong much to the chagrin of Youngho.

 

 

“So are you single?” Yuta asked out of the blue and Kun choked slightly on his venison, prompting Youngho to hand him his water. “Was that a little too direct?” Yuta asked and Kun nodded as he wiped his mouth with a napkin. ‘Sorry.” Yuta bowed his head.

 

“It’s not a problem, and yes I am single.” Kun replied.

 

“If you have anyone to recommend, we can screen them.” Yongqin added and Kun glared at him.

 

“my brother is available.” Taeyong said nonchalantly as he cut into the meat and offered a piece to Yuta who thanked him and kissed his cheek. “Obviously I’m taken.” Taeyong added and Kun smile at them.

 

“you two look really good together, I am not surprised that you are together.” Kun replied then turned to Youngho. ‘You are the crowned prince am I correct?” Kun asked and Youngho nodded. ‘Then one of us would need to denounce the throne, I too am the crowned prince of Weishen.” Kun replied and that made Youngho frown.

 

“oh.” Youngho merely replied and looked his food with disdain.

 

 

----

 

A/n: This will be a short story, I just cut it here because I need to sleep but I wanted to post this one already