Starry Night - Part 2

Sinrin Oneshots and Macchiato
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

SinB

 

TW: Mentions of suicidal thoughts. Be safe!




 

SinB’s coworker was waiting for her outside, SinB’s shift about to end. When she finally stepped out of the door, she could no longer wait before finally asking her.

 

“SinB.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“I’ve been keeping myself from asking about it since you seem to think of it as something normal, but I can’t hold it in anymore - who’s that one customer that always stuffs napkins inside your pocket??”

 

SinB burst out in laughter. Is that what it looked like to others?


 

It had been a few months since SinB first met Yerin.

When she had first seen Yerin sitting there together with her friends, she got so distracted by her thoughts of how pretty and lovely she looked pouring out she massively messed up, burning the bacon she was cooking to an absolute crisp. A black crisp.

 

Her co-worker ended up taking over, sending SinB to go around the tables taking orders. Specifically, the order from the girl she’d been gawking at and her friends.

 

“Welcome to Queens Diner, did you decide what you’d like to order already?”

 

“I’d like the banana split pancakes please, and a vanilla milkshake.” The tallest girl said, putting the menu down.

 

“Same for me! Although, make the vanilla milkshake a strawberry one.”

 

SinB scribbled down the order on her notepad, sneaking glances at the girl sitting across the two. When she noticed her looking back, she almost dropped her pen.

 

“What would you like?”

 

The girl flinched, though SinB wasn’t sure why, quickly looking at the menu before she opened to speak.

 

“Huh? Oh! Uhm, surprise me?” She said. That was it, SinB was crushing on her - big time. Not only was she pretty, she also had to have a pretty voice. Some people really have it all.

 

And did she just say surprise me? She was surprised for a second before breaking into a smile. Scrap that, she wanted to marry this girl. Besides, this was also the chance for SinB to try one of her recipes out…

She never had the confidence to have anyone test one out yet, other than her mom. Suggesting it to her boss was also out of the question, she was just another employee after all and doubted her boss would appreciate her butting in like that.



 

SinB went back to the kitchen which was right behind the counter and eyed the cake she was working on. She’d put the icing on just about an hour ago, and had put something over it to let it cool off.

 

Should she play it safe and just pick something from the menu for her she might like, or present this to her? It would be a good opportunity to get someone’s opinion on her food, and she wanted something more special for the girl than just some random thing from the menu.

 

SinB had decided. She’d present the red velvet cake to her. Now how would she go about receiving feedback, just ask? But what if her co-worker overheard and accidentally let something slip to their boss?

Maybe that wouldn’t even matter, but SinB didn’t want to risk anything. She liked it here, it wasn’t the most amazing place but she felt good here.

 

Taking one of the pink napkins nearby she started scribbling on it.

 

Hey, one “surprise” for the cute girl at table 9.

 

SinB buried her face in her hands for a second, she couldn’t believe she just wrote that. Not that it wasn’t true. Besides, would she ever get the chance to hit on a girl that cute again? What if she didn’t show up anymore after this? She had to make some sort of lasting impression.

She continued writing.

 

This cake is red velvet, with cheesecake filling and white chocolate icing. What do you think? Hope you like it!

 

Then, she drew some boxes for the girl to rate. She even drew some lines for additional comments, hoping the girl would write something back in the first place. Did she have a pen with her?

Maybe not. SinB put the pen together with the napkin on a plate, the cake nicely placed next to it. Here goes nothing, she thought.

 

Balancing the two plates with a stack of pancakes on her left arm for her friends and the cake in her other hand, she went over to their table, a smile creeping up her face as the girl seemed to be amused by something that they were talking about.

 

SinB was glad she’d gotten used to roller skating around by now, she wouldn’t have liked crashing into their table and throwing the pancakes and cake around everywhere. That might have been funny actually, just not in this situation. She’d still want to date the girl even with pancakes all over her though, however she wasn’t sure if her possible date would still want to after something like that happening.

 

Being so lost in thought, SinB forgot to say anything to them before she dashed off again and went to another customer ready to order.



 

Did she try it already? Maybe she was reading the napkin first, if she even saw it? Would it be weird if she looked for just a second to check?

 

SinB glanced at her, the girl had indeed just taken her first bite and seemed to be enjoying it. She also totally saw SinB looking at her just now, making her quickly look away as a blush crept up her cheeks. Crap. It did make her happy that she seemed to like it though, she was really looking forward to what she’d write back later… She hoped she would write back.

 

They ended up staying for quite a while, happily talking and just taking it easy. SinB ended up focusing on her work again rather than being with her head in the clouds since that wouldn’t end well, until she suddenly felt someone brushing against her as she was taking someone’s order.

 

Looking to her side, she saw the girl smiling at her before she left the diner. SinB smiled back. At least she didn’t creep her out with how starstruck she’d been looking at her the whole time.


 

When she finally had some time to stand around and wasn’t just rushing about the place she felt for her pocket, fishing out the pink napkin.

 

SinB heard her friends calling her Yerin. She had filled in the scores for everything, feedback on the lines SinB had drawn and even wrote an extra comment about how she liked it and would love to come back more often.

SinB couldn’t stop smiling. She put the napkin in her wallet, making sure it’d arrive home safely in one piece where she’d later store it to look back at.

 

And just like Yerin had said, she did come back.


 

A week later she stepped through the door and picked out a spot to sit, this time by herself. SinB had made her another dish that she had thought up, adding another tissue for feedback.

 

When she came back again another week after, SinB wrote a short message under the usual feedback part.

 

It was a simple thank you, and she’d made a kiss mark on the napkin. A bit too bold, maybe, but she swore she saw Yerin blush when she opened the napkin.

 

Yerin had actually copied the feedback thing SinB usually drew onto another napkin and took the other napkin with the kiss mark on it with her, which SinB hadn’t noticed until she looked at the napkin Yerin had slid into her pocket and saw the mark missing.


 

That simple thank you set off them writing short messages to each other.

 

Did this have saffron in it? I loved it. The pudding itself was nice and sweet, while the rice wasn’t mushy yet soft enough.

 

As a kid, SinB used to love rice pudding. Every family gathering they had, she’d make it together with her mom to bring with them. The store bought ones often didn’t have much saffron in them, if any at all, due to it being quite expensive.

It also wasn’t your usual ‘diner-fit desert’, but she thought that should change.

 

Hey, it did. Thank you. I tried to preserve them so it wouldn’t turn out mushy, so I’m glad you mentioned that. Is there anything you’d like to try next time?


 

I like anything as long as you make it.  Not really, I like anything you make. Maybe pancakes? BTW, noticed you’ve been making more savory dishes for me lately. It’s good.

 

SinB didn’t want Yerin to end up with like, diabetes or something because of her. Not that she knew anything about the girl’s eating habits outside of the diner, but at least she wanted to balance it out a bit by making some healthier things.

 

Also, was that Yerin flirting? Other than her smiling at SinB whenever they ended up looking at each other, Yerin brushing against her to slide in the apron even if no one else was looking so she could do it normally, the drawn hearts or smileys on the napkins.

 

They teased each other constantly, the other taking it perfectly and adding another layer onto it. Their exchanges were playful, they felt nice. SinB loved the feeling this girl gave her, even if they had never spoken out of the napkin exchanges and the usual “what would you like to order?” and “hope you liked it, see you next time”.


 

Don’t want you eating too much sweet stuff, definitely not if I’m the one responsible for it. Thank you. Also, I can still read what you wrote even if you strike through it. ;)

 

Ah… In that case, maybe I should take a break from seeing you? I didn’t have another tissue to write it again, but since you read that anyways I might as well go all out. Thank you for the pancakes. I’ve tried to put extra effort into my “review” today.

 

She was such a tease.



 

:( Thank you. Really, I’m grateful for you taking the time to do this. (And for not telling my boss) <- shh. Another request?

 

Your phone number? Unless you meant food, in that case, something with fruit for a change, maybe.


 

SinB almost choked on the lemon drop she had in when she read that. She wasn’t much of a texter but would still give Yerin her number.


 

Bold. Okay, because it’s you <3 I wrote it on the receipt. The fruit used was grown by my family, they’re well known in our town. Did you like it?

 

<3 I sent you a message so you have my number. You can put it as Yerin. Really? It was wonderful. The combination with the lime sorbet made it even better, I’d like to see where the fruits were grown sometime. I bet you grew up in a nice place. :)

 

SinB didn’t even remember that Yerin hadn’t actually told her name to her yet, she’d just overheard her friends talking to her. It felt like a new meeting anyways, an official one. Aside from them already knowing each other for a few months now, of course.

 

Yerin? Pretty name. I put you as Yennie. We’re getting 4 more flavors next week, I’ll have you try them. And maybe someday, but don’t expect too much. You’ll meet my mom, she is a nice person. The others too, of course (haha)


 

It wasn’t a secret that SinB loved her mom. She often mentioned her when talking to her friends and co-workers.

They also knew she wasn’t doing well, even if SinB only mentioned the good moments to them. She didn’t want to burden Yerin with this information however.

 

Yerin had messaged her once, like she said, so SinB would also have her number. SinB didn’t know what to send back. She wanted to talk to her so much, but messages just really weren’t her thing. She wanted to hear Yerin speak and actually be able to look at her while doing so, so while she’d keep Yerin’s number safe just in case she hoped they would get that chance soon.

 

That way, the magic of them talking for the first time - actual time - would still be there, clearer than if they were to already message each other beforehand. Maybe it was a bit lame, but since Yerin also hadn’t sent more than just that one message she wanted to hold onto that thought.


 

SinB returned home around 7PM every day, taking the bus straight home after work. As soon as she got home she’d get to making dinner, bringing it to her mom’s bedroom.

 

“You’ve been looking happier than usual lately.” She noted when SinB came in with their food, happily humming as she set out the food for them.

 

“Mhm. You think?”

 

Her mom squinted at her, the corners of going up into a smile before she started poking SinB.

 

“Have you met someone, is that it? Who is he? Did you meet him at work?”

 

SinB shook her head. “It’s a she.”

 

“Ah. Well then, who is she?”

 

She knew her mom wouldn’t care about that. As long as SinB seemed to be happy she’d be fine with anything. SinB finished chewing before answering.

 

“She’s someone who’s been coming to the diner regularly, for about three months now, I think? Or maybe four, I don’t know actually. She’s nice.”

 

“... Really? Is that all? Is she pretty? What does she study? We still have a spare room here if she wants to stay over, or maybe we should fix up the guest room, there’s a better bed there.”

 

“Oh my god… She is, I’m sure you’ll love her. I think she was studying at some big STEM university nearby? And she won’t be coming over! We haven’t even talked yet.”

 

Her mom looked at her with a disappointed look when she said that.

 

“We’ve been… writing each other messages on napkins.”

 

“Are you keeping them? Your dad and I still have letters from more than 30 years ago, remember?”

 

“I do, and yeah I am. She’s been helping me wit

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter