First Meeting

KITZY : cuteness overload!

Everything hurt. Her head, shoulders, legs, feet, school could be so draining sometimes. To say the least, Chaeryeong was happy to be home, letting out a sigh of relief as she locked the door behind her, carelessly dropping her bag and changing into her slippers. It was freezing outside and she felt like an onion with how many layers of clothing she was wearing to keep warm.

 

After hanging her coat and folding her scarf, Chaeryeong decided a warm drink was what she needed. She scrolled through her phone whilst she waited for the kettle, happy to see some of her clothing items had been purchased.

 

She hummed at the taste of raspberry coated her tongue, the tea helping to bring back colour to Chaeryeong’s dull day. She was amazed by how she hadn’t stopped going to class yet, each day seemed to be increasingly miserable and Chaeryeong was unsure of what she could do or needed to get out of this slump she was stuck in.

 

For a few hours Chaeryeong buried herself into her schoolwork and her small business, lost beneath the piles of fabric samples. Before she knew it, the clock had struck seven and she still hadn’t eaten yet. Deciding she was too lazy to cook, Chaeryeong decided to order in, clutching her growling stomach whilst scrolling through food options

 

——

 

“Thank you~” Chaeryeong said politely, handing the delivery man the money and closing the door. She set the food on the table, whining as she felt the need to use the bathroom. Begrudgingly she got up, jogging upstairs to the toilet.

 

“She’s gone! Quick! Take a look before she comes back!” A small voice whispered. A fluffy pair of ears appeared behind Chaeryeong’s window and a tiny face soon followed.

 

“Holy..”

 

“Yah! Don’t curse! And hurry up and tell us what you see before you break my shoulders”

 

“There’s food on the table! I think I smell French fries!”

 

“Did you say French fries? Let me see, let me see!”

 

The tiny tower the small people had made came crashing down as one tried to jump to also get a view through the window.

 

“Oomph!” They all said in unison.

 

——

 

“What was that?” Chaeryeong wondered aloud.

 

“Crap she’s back! Everybody run!” One tiny voice called, three out of the small people running to hide as Chaeryeong made her way toward the window. “Ryujin! What’re you doing?! Get over here!”

 

But it was too late, Chaeryeong had already stuck her head out the window, looking down toward where the noise was coming from. As soon as she looked down, gasped and covered and began to squeal.

 

“Oh my gosh! Hi there little baby!” She cooed. Chaeryeong’s voice went all high pitched at the sight of the cutest thing she’d ever seen. Standing at 2ft 2in was Ryujin, a ginger tabby cat hybrid.

 

The kitten stared at Chaeryeong with wide eyes, both curious and scared. Her fluffy orange ears went flat against her head, she wasn’t sure whether she should perceive this tall woman with long hair and soft features as a threat or not.

 

“Why’re you still standing there! Get back here!” Chaeryeong’s head whipped towards the high pitched hushed voice that came from behind the bin and she couldn’t help but squeal again.

 

It was another kitten hybrid but this time she was a lot taller. She was about 3ft, had beautiful sharp, blue eyes. Her ears were brown and her tail a light brown with hints of white. Chaeryeong noticed vertical scar on the kittens left eye and she wondered how she got it.

 

“Wait right there I’m coming!” Chaeryeong beamed, hurriedly slipping on her shoes and coat before rushing outside, takeaway completely forgotten on the table.

 

——

 

Turning the corner, Chaeryeong had reached the small alleyway where the kittens were. She wondered why they were there, how they got there and where their owners were.

 

It was dark and silent as she made her way down to the bins, using the flashlight from her phone to see.

 

“Little kitties? Where did you go?” She called. “Are you hurt? You don’t have to worry, I won’t hurt you.”

 

For a second Chaeryeong thought that the kittens had scurried off to somewhere else but the familiar orange tail sticking out and swishing from side to side was a huge giveaway that the kittens were, in fact, still there.

 

Chaeryeong crouched down to try seem less threatening, keeping her voice startle as to not startle them.

 

——

 

“D-do you think it’s safe to go out?” Yuna asked worriedly.

 

“I don’t wanna… unnie I’m scared…” Lia whispered, her ears flattening against her head.

 

“You guys stay here and I’ll go, okay?” Yeji decided, the ragdoll was always the toughest out of them after all.

 

Taking a deep breath, the kitten stepped away from the bins, trying her best to look intimidating with her piercing blue eyes. Though, due to her height compared to Chaeryeong’s, she wasn’t as scary as she thought she way.

 

“Hi there pretty kitty~ what’s your name?” Chaeryeong said softly.

 

“Yeji.”

 

“That’s a nice name, are these your friends, Yeji?” Chaeryeong asked. The other three kittens now all peeking from behind the bins at Yeji and Chaeryeong’s interaction.

 

Ryujin chimed in “we’re her friends!”

 

“Aww that’s adorable~”

 

Chaeryeong continued to talk to the kittens for awhile, eventually learning all their names and that they were stray hybrids. They were all around 5 to 6 years old with Yuna the black kitten being the youngest at 4 years old  and Yeji the ragdoll kitten being the oldest at 6 years old.

 

Chaeryeong shivered as a sudden harsh gust of wind blew past, it was then she realised how the kittens weren’t dressed for the winter at all, only wearing thin tshirts and shorts. The 4 hybrids shivering harshly tugged at her heartstrings.

 

“Say kitties, do you wanna come inside with me? I promise I won’t do anything to harm you.. I just hate seeing you cold and I don’t wanna leave you outside”

 

“We’ll be fine, you don’t have to worry about us” Yeji said, teeth chattering whilst she rubbed at the goosebumps forming on her arms.

 

“You won’t be, Yeji-ah, it’s one of the coldest days in Korea today, hm? Won’t you come in for a little while?”

 

“But I—“

 

“Please can we unnie? I don’t wanna stay out in the cold…” Yuna pouted.

 

Yeji crouched down, suddenly feeling weak as she got more cold. “No… we don’t… need… your help..” we’re the last words the kitten said before she fell to the floor, her world going black.

 

“Unnie!” The kittens cried out in unison. Chaeryeong panicked, trying to shake Yeji awake to no avail. Not knowing what else to do, she took off her jacket and wrapped Yeji in it, telling the worried kittens to follow her and reassuring them that she meant no harm.

 

Little did Chaeryeong know how much 4 tiny kitties would change her life.