Prologue

How can I Read Your Mind?

There will always be something about summer.

How the sky is clear, and the weather is above everything.

The enjoyment after summer season break has ended, and everyone returns to their life's duty.

Everyone goes back to their routine of hectic schedules and living.

And so does Wendy.

It's a sunny afternoon on Monday.

The coffee shop is not crowded like usual. It's spacious with only several customers visiting, looking busy with their things in the dine-in section of the coffee shop.

Wendy leaned on the coffee shop's bar table, waiting for her order.

And once it finished, Wendy took a quick sip before putting several won into the tip jar.

Wendy walks out of the coffee shop with one iced coffee in her hands and eyes roaming around the parking lot.

Despite the quiet coffee shop she visited, the parking lot was full of customers' cars from other shops.

It is crowded in the parking lot that Wendy sees ten cars of the same colour as hers.

Wendy walks across the parking lot, checking the car from each row and falsely identifying hers.

Giving up on looking for her car with her eyes, she takes out the car key from her pocket and turns on the alarm.

She hears the familiar beep not too far from where she stands.

Wendy runs to her car, open the door, and closes it after she's inside. She puts the drink on the car beverage holder and turns on the engine.

Wendy opens the car's window, letting the calm summer breezes soothe her heated skin.

She exhales, leaning back in her seat.

Wendy takes three sheets of tissue and wipes the sweat from her forehead.

She flaps her shirt to let the wind ease the heat from all over her body. The winds blow within her thin shirt, and Wendy feels the heat cools down a second after.

Wendy loves her car. It's an antique car with a good design.

It is also the first car her father bought 'second-handed' after she got the perfect score on her license test two years ago.

However, as old as the car, so do the machine and its interior.

The car's air conditioning doesn't work and doesn't have the fancy navigation screen her other friend's car has.

The machine is loud, and Wendy has no courage to drive it to pass through the residential place late at night.

Fortunately, it never broke down when Wendy forced it to drive 5 days a week to her college.

And it has a good radio with many old radio stations still aired daily.

Wendy hears a vibrating sound from the dashboard of her car. She leans into it and is surprised when she finds her phone lying hopelessly there.

Wendy somehow forgets that she left her phone in the car.

She takes her phone and frowns, squinting her eyes at the familiar name displayed boldly on the screen.

She pressed the green answer call button before saying hello.

It's quiet before the loud gasping, "You must be kidding. I literally got a message saying the class was postponed to be on the evening!"

Wendy frowns as she listens to the caller.

"What?! I got the message from—"

Wendy's words fall into the unknown as her jaw hangs and her eyes bug out throughout the horror of realization.

Wendy bites her lips, and growls after the short pause, "Seriously, that witch, Bae Irene! I'll kill her!"

Wendy cut the call and lifted the arm break before hitting the gas madly, letting the stretching sounds out from her car's tires.

She drives across the crowded summer afternoon.

Wendy ignored the traffic and how often people yelled and hit the horn because of her crazy driving.

On Wendy's mind is only one thing, how to kill Irene.

Wendy hits the break right in front of a girl who sits on the top of a medium-height steel parking fence. The girl smirks with a can of cold coke in her hand and takes a sip occasionally.

"In hurry for something, Young Lady?"

Wendy grits her teeth, unbuckles her seatbelt and runs out of her car.

"Bae Irene, you really—" She pulls the girl's shirt but is not strong enough to make the girl stumbles down from her seat.

Wendy looks at Irene with so much resentment and bites her lips until she can taste the iron.

Irene looks at her blankly, but one of her hands rubs Wendy's grip on her clothes gently.

"You know I hate the wrinkle on my shirt, right?"

Wendy gasps when she feels the touch on her chin.

"And you will bleed your lips if you bite it like this"

The cold can touch her skin and let the total opposite temperature of two surfaces meet.

Wendy's eyes look steady on the doe's eyes, but the tremble on her grip says otherwise.

Wendy lets out her grips.

"Why did you do that?"

Wendy's jaws tightened. She hated the sounds of her voice. She hates how it sounds so desperate and weak.

"Do what?"

"Lie to me about the message, you know I have an important presentation."

Irene sighs, making Wendy frowns.

"I hate it when you left first. Was it hard to stay a little bit longer for me?"

"But you told me to leave—"

Irene scoffs and runs her finger across her silky hair, "I don't mean it literally."

Wendy hitched her breath when she said, "How could I know that?"

"You should know that, I've never meant my word literally sometimes it means the opposite"

"Are you seriously wants me to read your mind for every action you did?"

Irene pressed her lips, leaning back a little, letting her grips on the fence steel support the weight of her body, "Yeah"

"How can I do that when I can't even understand my own mind?!"

"Then stop to try understanding your mind."

"What? What the heck are you talking about?"

"Stop trying to understand your mind. I'll be the one who does that, and you--" Irene's words flow like water, so easy and light, "You just have to focus on me."

"You must be kidding. Do you think read someone's mind is an easy task?"

"Isn't it?" The finality of Irene's words flustered Wendy. Wendy looks for the terms to deny it, but her mind doesn't want to work as she pleases. Not when there is Irene in her proximity.

"I just have to read you as you read mine and then happily ever after."

Wendy closes her eyes and sighs. She parts her hair with her hands, "It's not that simple, and even couples don't do that! How can you possibly think we who hate each other will have that much attention to reading each other?"

"Well, don't people who hates each other try to read the room in between more than anyone because they are waiting for the right time to ruin the person?"

"Wha- what?!"

Irene moves down from her seat, standing firmly in front of Wendy. She tilts her eyes slightly, so their eyes are on the same level. A smirk blooms on her lips.

"Don't you become so self- conscious when I am around, Son Seungwan?"

Wendy holds her breath when she feels the soft breath on her ears. She feels the light touch of Irene's nose on her neck and how her hands grip Wendy's hand, strong enough to feel her blood running through her vein.

Wendy pushes Irene before grabbing her hands and pulling her.

There is a soft gasp from the latter before it fades out as Wendy closes their gap.

Irene wraps her hand around Wendy's shoulder and lets the can of ice coke roll on the ground as she deepens the kiss.

It's short and intense. It feels warmer than the summer.

They hold on to each other and don't want to let go.

Despite shortening breaths due to the tension and excitement, they keep lurking in the kiss.

Wendy bites Irene's lips, letting go of the kiss.

Irene takes an intaken breath as the warmth crawls up to her cheek and the rushed breathing fills her chest. She's so not ready to open her eyes.

Wendy brushes her thumbs across Irene's chin, parting the latter stray hair that blocks the face.

Irene gulps and opens her eyes and meets the intense loving gaze from the dark brown eyes of the younger one.

Wendy breaths slowly as she looked at Irene, "You right—"

"I do,"

Once again, they let their lips meet, and their bodies crash under the summer heat.

The sky is getting higher, and the heat is worsening, but they don't care.

Wendy doesn't care a bit, even when her phone vibrates for the umpteenth time in her pocket.

She chooses to let it.