When Wendy Meet Irene

How can I Read Your Mind?

Wendy doesn't know when does it start?

When does she start to have the combined destiny with Irene that Irene will always be anywhere she goes?

Wendy doesn't know when God started to play with her fate, but she knows she had her eyes on the older girl when they met for the first time at the inauguration party for new students.

It was late October in the evening. Wendy came to the restaurant after dinner.

She was late, and she remembered the heavy rain when she walked out of her car.

She ran off the parking alley, and her hands were the only shield she had from getting wet by the rain.

Wendy was shivering slightly because of the cold rain that wetted her shoulder.

She heard the chuckling sounds outside the bar and sighed, imagining how wild the party had been even not too long after it started two hours ago.

Wendy enjoyed going to crowded places like music festivals but disliked a party.

Everything went wild at the party, and they applied no rules for fun. Wendy pictured the loud, the wild, and the strong smell of beers filling the room; everyone would act like wild animals in the zoo.

Well, bitter coincidence, the restaurant's name was 'Beer Zoo.'

Wendy sighed, looking at the colourful billboard of the restaurant's name on top of its building.

Wendy pushed the door and was welcomed by the half-sober people. She knew some of them, but she mostly met the others for the first time there.

She felt the tension was built well, looking at how they drank mindlessly and talked loudly with an aggressive tone.

Some people threw peanuts, others were doing a half-sleep talk, and others were dancing on the open stage. There were the others who talked in secret as if they were sharing a secret code.

The other new students looked like they adapted well to the senior. She wondered why they enjoyed something as wild as a party.

A wandering mind sometimes didn't mean to be answered, just like how Wendy let it.

A boy wearing a maroon jumper came to Wendy with a glass of beer.

He was senior, three years older than Wendy. Many people know him as Leeteuk, but for his close friends, he is Jung Su, the leader of the broadcasting club.

Leeteuk offered the glass of beer that Wendy accepted hesitantly. She didn't like beer. It was not only because it hurt when she drank it but also because of the smell.

Wendy bowed and said thank you, but the expectant gaze from the other students chilled the back of her neck. They had waited for Wendy to drink her beer, and she felt the horror all over her body.

Wendy bit her lips, trying to drink the beer, but the smell of it made her feel dizzy and want to vomit.

"Yah! Enough with the suspend and just drink it already."

Wendy was shocked and clutched the hand of a person who pressed the glass to and forced her to finish it in one try.

Wendy felt the tears in her eyes. She hit the person's hand, trying to let herself go from the tight embrace and stop drinking the beer.

But the person was stronger than Wendy, and no matter how much Wendy hit and tried to push the latter, it was tiring her more.

Wendy heard the scream, rooting the person to keep pressing the glass onto and from the subtle chuckles of the person, she knew it was a girl.

Wendy felt the grip released from her hand, and the girl slowly let go of her embrace.

Reflex, Wendy pushed the girl,

She wiped her lips, removing the trace of the beer from .

Wendy looked at the girl, and her world stopped at the doe sparkling eyes of the girl in front of her.

Wendy stopped breathing, and her eyes fell to the corner of the latter's lip. It quirked up like a smirk, but Wendy saw it like a sweet smile.

She looked ethereal.

She looked like some who came from a cliche romance manga.

"Do you want another beer, little puppy?"

And Wendy's fantasy collapsed for the smirk of the latter. All the unpleasant action memories trailed back, and Wendy felt the annoyance come full force.

The crowd from the others chanting her to drink more humiliated Wendy more than the pain she felt in her neck.

"I don't want!" Wendy's shout shut the crowd. Everyone was looking at her with a shocked expression visibly shown on their face.

The girl looked at her with no shock but amusement, taken aback by the loud voice and the apparent anger of the freshman.

Their tension arose.

Wendy looked mad and humiliated, and the tears hovered in her big brown eyes, but the girl of Wendy's resentment didn't frighten her. She stayed on her root, crossed her hands, and looked at Wendy.

"Hey, wendy..." Leeteuk held Wendy's shoulder and gave a little squeeze to ease the younger's anger.

"Don't be mad. Irene was joking. It's just for fun."

Wendy's jaw tensed, and her eyes looked around the bar. A guilty feeling struck her when she noticed the sudden change in the atmosphere.

She had predicted it would happen, the wild behaviours and unpredictable actions.

The forced drink should not have made her mad.

Wendy chuckled and hit Leeteuk's shoulder teasingly. "I'm not mad. I just want to tell you that I can't drink beer."

She hid her hand under her ped jacket and peed at Leeteuk before saying, "Can I have soju instead?"

"Soju?" Leeteuk asked, and from the squinted from his eyes. Wendy knew he was in doubt. Wendy let her eyebrow move up and down and squirmed a stiff smile. Leeteuk gasped and laughed, "Of course, Soju!"

"Our Wendy wants Soju!" Leeteuk shouted, and the crowd responded very well with a gasp, laugh and clap.

Wendy chuckled at the chaotic view she had just witnessed.

Wendy felt the subtle pat on her shoulder as she listened to Leeteuk say, "I'll give you the soju!"

"Don't give her just Soju. Give her somaek, your infamous somaek!" Wendy was startled by the loud shout from her side. She looked at the person and noticed a tall senior she knew as Chanyeol, holding his glass in the air, and shook it a little.

Leeteuk's smile beamed. "Right! I should've made you somaek!."

Wendy gasped, "I'll taste the infamous some of King Leeteuk? I must be blessed."

"Of course you are blessed! You will taste the best somaek just in a minute!"

Leeteuk flew the gun sign with his hand and ran excitedly to the nearby table, taking any glass he could see at the moment and starting mixing the Soju and the beer.

Wendy shook her head and sighed loudly. She didn't know how she would be surprised by the chaotic night, but Wendy hoped she wouldn't get too tired for tomorrow's class.

Wendy looked away and was surprised when she saw the eyes of the quiet girl next to her.

Wendy rubbed the back of her neck and felt nervous about the deep gaze she got.

She cleared and wiped the invisible dust with the sole of her shoes.

Wendy could feel the gaze didn't tear off, no matter how much she tried to avoid it. Wendy took an intaken breath and looked at the latter.

"Irene, right?" Wendy called her name softly, touched the latter shoulder, and bent her body a little for the better look of the girl.

Irene stayed on her root and didn't bother to look away as she stared straight into Wendy's eyes.

Wendy felt dry with tension and the uneasy feeling, but she felt no will to stop it.

Instead, she kept the stare, and the tension arose.

"What a fake girl"

The voice was so quiet, and Wendy could barely hear the words, if not because of their proximity.

Wendy felt her heart winched in pain as she felt the coldness of the latter's word.

"Wha-what do you—"

Wendy's words fell, and she could not find a way to form. She felt heart-sickening, and it beat faster.

Wendy felt everything around her clearer than usual. It's crazily precise for the girl in front of her. Wendy felt the soft breath plastering her face, how the music of her heartbeat combined pleasantly with the latter and the stare.

The deadly stare made Wendy forget the crowd, the pouring rain, and the storm.

Wendy forgot how her name sounded, and everything froze until she got pulled away by someone, making the stare torn off.

Wendy was puzzled. Her mind went blank. She smelled the familiar smell, and the familiar touched and by then, she realized it was Leeteuk in front of her.

"Here's your somaek."

Leeteuk offered the drink and looked at Wendy expectantly. Wendy's smile felt stiff, but it won't matter because no one would notice. At least not when all of them almost passed out because of their drink.

Wendy took the glass and sipped on the drink. She frowned. The drink tasted ordinary, nothing too special and just okay for her.

"It's great, isn't it?"

Wendy smiled and nodded, "It's perfect."

Leeteuk's smile couldn't be bigger than what he showed. He smiled so broadly that close his eyes.

"Just tell me if you want more. I'll make it for you," Leeteuk said.

"Thank you, Oppa."

Leeteuk returns to his table with a blushing cheek and stumbling step. He was in the perfect condition of waste.

Wendy sighed and walked to his department table. She took the empty seat on the corner of the table, took some peanuts, and joined her friend's conversation.

She drank the drink again. It was slow this time, and it actually was better than the beer she had drank before, but Wendy couldn't take away the sensation of the forced drink.

Somehow, it felt better.

Despite the rude and harsh forced grip on her hand holding the giant glass, Wendy remembered how soft the pat on her head was.

After the second sip, Wendy put the glass down, and her eyes travelled across the flood of students.

The party was worst than she thought.

It was way wilder than she expected.

Wendy's eyes stopped travelling once they caught one girl staring at her like she wanted to dig a hole in her body.

Wendy stared back and her mind full of questions.

She was the first to stop the stare when one of her friends filled her glass again.

Wendy whined playfully but didn't miss putting a broad smile on her lips.

She looked back at her, and the latter seemed to return to her world, mingle with her department with a glass of Soju in her hand, chatting with the other students Wendy guessed as her friend.

Wendy sighed, "Did she call me a fake or what?"

"Who?"

"Yah! You shock me out!"

The girl with a long brown coat came from Wendy's side and took the seat next to her, "I have called you, but it seems like you are busy with your thought."

Wendy scoffed and turned her gaze to the table behind her, "Aren't you supposed to be with your department, Kang Seulgi?"

"Nah— They talked about Dante's theory. I have had enough of it in class. I don't need another one right now."

Wendy giggled, "Just tell me that you failed it, so you don't want to humiliate yourself, you silly."

Seulgi sneered and looked at Wendy with so much scrutiny. Wendy giggled at the expression of the latter.

Seulgi took Wendy's glass and took a little sip.

"Is your throat okay?"

"Well, I can talk."

Seulgi giggled at the remarks chewed on the last piece of the fried squid on the plate in front of her.

"I was worried you won't be able to handle it. Irene - sunbaenim a little bit too much before."

"Irene-sunbaenim? She's a sunbae?"

"Yeah, she's the same year as Leeteuk oppa."

Wendy scoffed when she said, "She definiately didn't look like a senior to me"

"She doesn't age I guess and with the blushed on her cheek she looked like she's the same year like us." Seulgi asked, pointed her chin toward the subject of her words, and sighed, "I bet she's so drunk right now."

"You seemed to put a lot of interest in this sunbae, Seulgi."

"She's Bae Irene, and everyone put interest in her"

"Why?"

Seulgi chuckled, "Son Seungwan, you really don't have any interest in people, do you?"

Seulgi leaned on her palm, looking at Wendy, "She's the icon of our university. She's known not only because she's hella pretty but also for her creativity and wise thought. Many students became her fans after she saved the transfer student from the other university's gang who liked to bully" Seulgi words flew like a river calm and slow, "And she's also a member of the student representative club."

Wendy patted Seulgi's shoulder and chuckled, "Alright— I get it now. Thanks"

Seulgi nodded nd threw her gaze from Wendy to the fresh chicken pop. She ate the chicken pop and missed the blank stare of the girl next to her.

Wendy's mind wandered around as she looked at her drink and how the bubbles floated slightly on the surfaces.

Her mind travelled back to the cynical eyes of the senior, Bae Irene.

How could the sweet-looking lips throw painful words?

How could Irene look so ready to hurt her?

Seulgi's words echoed in her head, and how much differences of what Seulgi's explained to what she got back then.

Wendy pressed her lips tightly for the thought,

"If she's the kind of person, Why did she call me fake?"

"Hmm, what fake?"

Seulgi's question made Wendy wander her mind to stop.

Wendy shrugged, "Nothing, it's nothing" Wendy sighed and murmured, "Just a useless thought."

"As you know, Irene-sunbae is a good person", Seulgi said, looking at Wendy from the corner of her eyes, "So, please don't think bad of her."

"Who thinks bad of who?!'

"Your eyes can't lie. It seems like you have something about her"

"I am so not!"

"Yeah yeah-- I hope its not a bad one,"

Seulgi leaned on the back of the chair and threw her hands to the back. She ignored the shocking expression of the girl next to her.

 

Author's Note:

I published it without re-checking. So if there are some grammatical errors or the mismention or mistyped character names, please let it aside.

I'll check and revise it on saturday.

Update:

I have edit it. So, if there is another error please let me know in the comment box.

Thank you