- end -

she's the one (that got away)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

High school reunions should be fun, so called homecomings should be easy. You get to meet acquaintances and friends at one venue. A chance to get to meet everyone from your high school again for a long time — especially to those who lost touch. That's what it should be, in Joohyun’s case, it’s not just acquaintances and friends, but also her previous relationships in high school because that's what reunions are for.

 

The sound of her friends sniggering when one of her exes came made her so vexed – it's not that she hasn't moved on, but the way her friends made fun of her is starting to get on her nerves. It's annoying, with the way they're throwing glances that mean something and remarks that should be ignored with the manner they were said but could not help but let it get through herself.

 

"Oh Ji-in looks gorgeous, her whole outfit's like blatantly screaming 'I'm the one you let go, Joohyun.’”

 

“Maybe that’s the result of being free from her relationship with our good friend.”

 

Another round of snickers from her friends.

 

Joohyun in response just rolled her eyes and watched the said girl, her friends are unbelievably immature with how they seem to be enjoying teasing her.

 

She hates to admit it, how they’re right with her ex being gorgeous. She followed the woman walking from the entrance, sitting with her known high school friends with her eyes. Well, maybe Jennie and Seulgi are right — but her and Ji-in were over, and she has no intentions of winning her back. What they had was what others would call as ‘Puppy Love’. It's obviously not serious.

 

“Do you know Ji-in’s getting married next month?” She heard Jennie ask the group.

 

Joohyun shook her head, she never really had any news with her high school friends and batchmates, even her exes, except for these two with her at the table. Generally, she never really cared about her high school batchmates, but she does see some of their posts in their social media accounts but she didn’t give them a thought.

 

“Oh oh, speaking of marriage I heard Moonbyul is bringing her wife with her.”

 

“It’s amazing how Ji-in and Moonbyul are now settled with someone while their ex a.k.a our friend here remains single.”

 

Ji-in and Moonbyul. She dated Ji-in shortly after they started sophomore year. She liked Ji-in because she’s pretty and popular. Ji-in was her crush and their relationship ended even before it started. They dated for a few good months, even then Joohyun is happy she dated Ji-in. Joohyun dated Moonbyul during winter break that same year, they dated much shorter than Ji-in. She liked Moonbyul but somehow Joohyun couldn’t get herself into the relationship, no matter how hard she tried.

 

“You two are the ones to talk. You both are not yet married.”

 

“But we’re in a relationship.”

 

“That’s not the same thing.”

 

“Yes, but we’re this closer to marriage. You on the other hand though.”

 

Joohyun shrugged in response, it’s true and she won’t deny the fact that she’s been single for years now. She just haven’t given dating and marriage a serious thought. Although, there are times where that yearning just gets the best of her and maybe hearing that two of her high school exes are settling down did get to her head.

 

“It’s just not my priority right now.”

 

“Or are you waiting for someone?”

 

She couldn’t help but raise her brows, “Someone?”

 

“Let’s just say someone with the same height as yours.”

 

Seulgi must have caught on to what Jennie has said and gave her a wickedly teasing smile, “Oh, or someone who shares the same class as you before.”

 

With furrowed brows, Joohyun threw a glare at her friends as they chuckled when she's giving them the look, she might have the teensy tiny bit of an idea on who they're hinting at.

 

“Specifically, someone you’ve been eyeing for a very long time but either you’re in a relationship or was too afraid to make a move.”

 

“Or someone who just arrived at the party.”

 

In honesty, maybe it's not a tiny idea, she knows whom they meant, she followed her friends’ eyes and there she saw her just entering the venue clad in immaculate white dress and her brunette hair.

 

These two knew about her. Her happy crush back in high school. She recalls her as someone popular, pretty, and pretty much an all rounder back then. Joohyun admits she has a huge crush on this person. She doesn't need to give it a long time to remember how she's so down bad for this certain person. They had their moments back then, such feelings that were just left unsaid.

 

“Wendy,” She managed to let out and it came out as a whisper. Joohyun didn’t know why she’s feeling breathless but somehow she is.

 

She studied the newcomer from her short hair that Joohyun finds new — she’s used to Wendy having that long brunette hair way back in high school — to Wendy’s features that Joohyun finds never changing and at the same time maturity has done a good thing in emphasizing Wendy’s face.

 

Joohyun thinks Wendy is outright beautiful and that's why at the course of their high school she never really dared to confess. Wendy just feels so out of her league.

 

Wendy is smart, not the totally nerdy type smart but the one who knows how to poise herself, and knows what to do with everything. Wendy is a straight A student, popular to the student body with her looks, and head of the music and soccer club.

 

Seeing Wendy walking down the hallway made everyone's head turn. In Joohyun’s case, time actually slowed down the moment she saw her, every single time without missing a beat, Wendy had that effect on her. It's still the same as it is now, time seemed to slow for Joohyun. Time slowing down wasn't a thing in reality but somehow it does for Joohyun. She followed Wendy walking on the aisles looking for her designated table it seems.

 

Joohyun eyed the empty seat across them and a thought suddenly crept in her mind, there should be 6 people per table 5 of it are occupied by her, Jennie, and Seulgi with their plus ones included, "Quick, do we know who's the 6th person on our table?"

 

They all shook her heads and Joohyun snapped her head towards where Wendy was standing before, but the moment she turned her head the woman was already heading towards their direction.

 

Oh God.

 

"I think I know where this is going." Jennie remarked, giving Joohyun a knowing smile.

 

Heck even Seulgi is catching up fast with the way she's grinning at her like an idiot, "The fates have played their cards and it seems they'll be enjoying every bit of this night."

 

She glared at two of her friends as she panicked internally — her insides started churning, heart started to pick up its pace, she felt her hands shaking and managed to grab the table napkin as if her life depended on it. Thin sheens of sweat started to form all over her face despite the chilly air brought by the AC. Calm the down, Joohyun.

 

"Hi,"

 

Whatever panic Joohyun felt just now was immediately washed away with Wendy’s soft and gentle voice. It was like her first sip of hot chocolate on a chilly winter, soothing. Like a cool breeze of the wind while sitting by the beach in summer, relaxing.

 

Heaving a deep breath, Joohyun looked at her friends — who were giving her a look that she should answer — and she did, “H-hello,” Joohyun winced internally at her stuttering. She should be calm and collected, not some excited high school girl in front of the person they admire.

 

And Joohyun was at a loss for words, her eyes just followed the newcomer and saw her smile at everybody. Everything became muffled for her, she didn’t know what Jennie and Seulgi were saying to Wendy but they’re smiling so it’s good she guesses.

 

“Welcome to the superior table of this reunion, Wendy.”

 

That was all she could comprehend, still her eyes on Wendy, now sitting across her. Wendy must have noticed her staring and gave her a smile — a smile that was what she liked even before, that oh so bright smile that could send her butterflies into chaos, the same smile that wreaked havoc towards her senses.

 

And she short-circuited. She is still stuck staring at the brunette.

 

She felt a slight pain on her elbow and gave Jennie a look and realized she was helping her, as much as she wanted to curse her friend, she’s a bit thankful for bringing her back to her senses.

 

She quickly turned to Wendy and offered her a sheepish smile, and went on drinking her glass of water.

 

“So Wendy, how are you? The last time we saw each other was from that art convention last year, it’s been a while.”

 

Joohyun has to thank Seulgi for starting a conversation, when she’s still trying to wrap her mind around the fact that Wendy is sitting right in front of her. It doesn’t help the fact that Wendy hasn’t changed that much, she’s as beautiful as the way Joohyun remembers her.

 

Wendy smiled brightly and turned to Seulgi and responded, “I'm doing quite well, how 'bout you guys? I haven't heard from any of you since senior year."

 

If everyone at

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter