The Emperor's card

The emperor's card
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kim Yongsun was a theater actress since she was 8.

The brunette had been raised in a middle-class family but her parents devoted their lives to providing her the best education their financial condition could afford.

The Kims gave their only child the freedom to choose which path to follow and Yongsun decided to become Solar.

From a very young, age, the girl loved classical music and she teared up while watching Opera concerts.

Mrs. Kim would find it curious that her little girl had zero interest in popular culture. She never tried to influence her daughter in any subject though.

Yongsun graduated from the University at the age of 24 and continued to focus on the theater despite receiving several invitations to take part in tv series.

When she was 25, her father encouraged the daughter to live on her own to have privacy. Nonetheless, the brunette met a younger girl in a hair salon and heard she needed a cheap place to live and they became roommates.

That's how Jung Wheein entered the actress' life and along came Ahn Hyejin, Wheein's girlfriend.

At first, the couple found that unnie extremely weird and exotic. However, they understood pretty fast that Yongsun was just a quiet and lonely soul.

Whenever they asked about romance, the ash-brown-haired woman would just say she had no interest in that type of thing. 

Three years passed and the actress became very respected in the theater community.

One of her co-workers was addicted to tarot and kept pestering the gorgeous woman to go to a tarot reading with her.

Tired of refusing it and still listening to the insistent request, the star of the current most prestigious musical in town ended up saying yes to shut up the other woman.

The duo went to a famous tarot reader and the middle-aged man scared the brunette the minute she entered the room.

Staring at the actress very seriously, he said:

______ Your soul is bleeding. This separation is taking too long.

______ I beg your pardon. What are you talking about?

______ Your soulmate has been calling for you. You feel it too. You have sudden feelings of inexplicable sadness, don't you?

_____ Like anyone else.

_____ Okay. It's clear that your skeptical personality blinds you. Nevermind. Have a seat._____ The male smiled and mixed the cards.

Yongsun's friend slightly pushed her and the brunette glared at the other one before sitting.

The famous tarot reader seemed to be silently praying and then he asked:

______ What would you like to know?

______ Ermm...Not sure. About my career, I guess._____ The 28-year-old responded with hesitation.

______ Solar unnie...Ask about romance.______ The friend whispered.

_____ Shush!_____ The older one frowned her forehead.

Smiling, the tarot reader guided the female.

______ Pick 3 cards, please.

Yongsun exhaled and did what he asked.

______ Hmm...Okay. I see.

______ What is it?_____ The gorgeous woman leaned closer.

______ You'll have uncountable opportunities on tv and cinema. But that's not what you want, right? Still, success is imprinted all over you. Every card shows hard work and dedication paired with a natural talent to attract money and fame.

______ Oh, really? So no struggle for me?_____ Yongsun couldn't hold her sarcasm.

The older man shook his head while laughing.

______ The arrogance of doubting the mysteries of the universe is what brought you a long destiny of pain.

______ Now you lost me, Sir. I'm in no pain. How much do I owe you?

______ Choose one more card and you can go. Free consult.

Rolling her eyes, the dark-haired one touched a card on her far left and mumbled:

_____ Anything to end this silliness.

Turning the card, the middle-aged man smirked and spoke with a very different voice:

______ The emperor usually represents a strategic thinker who sets out plans and makes sure they become reality. You've done that. You also carry a leadership personality.

______ I know...

______ However, this card is not here to point out the obvious.

______ Right...So what is it?_____ The actress was losing her patience.

_____ The one you miss will come as the emperor. They've been calling for you in their sleep. The time to meet again has come. Keep your ears open. And give a chance to your intuition.

_____ Aish! Never heard so much bull!_____ The stunning woman grabbed some money from her purse and placed it on the table before leaving like a storm.

The other girl bowed with embarrassment and murmured:

______ My apologies, Sir.

_____ x _____

Wheein and Hyejin were watching tv while Yongsun was cooking dinner.

The cute girl sat on her girlfriend's lap and the y brunette asked:

______ Weren't you friends with someone called Moonbyul? Wouldn't be funny if she was a popular singer like this one on tv?

Wheein giggled but didn't say a word, which called Hyejin's attention.

______ What?

______ That is Byul-YI unnie. Same person.

______ Damn! Why didn't you tell me your friend was this hot? You don't keep in touch, do you?

______ Yep. We meet on our birthdays. You know...she works a lot.

______ Why is she on this show? She doesn't need it.

______ Probably because she is a close friend of Paul Kim. And Byul is very humble. Fame didn't go up her head.

______ Okay. Let's see what the Emperor will bring for us.

Yongsun heard that and felt weird.

The actress stopped cutting the vegetables and got closer to the girls.

______ Did you say emperor? What does it mean?

Surprised with the unnie's sudden interest, the younger one explained:

_____ Ah, this new show is bringing some female singers to compete with each other and their persona is represented by a tarot card. The emperor is one of Wheein's friends.

______ I see._____ The brunette shook her head and turned around.

______ Yong unnie, why don't you sit and watch a bit with us?

______ Ah, Wheein-ah...I don't like pop music. Sorry.

______ Don't be so narrow-minded, unnie._____ Hyejin said softly.

______ I promise I'm not. It's just not my style.____ Yongsun responded sweetly but then she froze.

A familiar tarot card showed up on tv and a female with a deep and low voice started to sing.

At first, the singer was in the shadows and only her silhouette could be seen.

The brunette felt a powerful and weird sensation and her heart accelerated.

_____ Unnie, you are pale. Are you alright?_____ Wheein asked with concern.

Yongsun lost control of her legs and sat on the couch before she might faint.

______ Who is she?

______ Moonbyul._____ Hyejin responded.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter