part two.

hiccup!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Past.

“I seriously don’t get why you’d want to freeze your throat up with a popsicle in winter.” Jinsol hops and sits on the stool beside Jungeun by the long table near the window of the convenience store where they found a bit of warmth from, looking outside where their footprints are printed on blankets of snow covering the majority of the sidewalk.

Jungeun chuckles as she takes the cherry-flavored double popsicle off Jinsol’s hand and breaks it to two, then she hands Jinsol the other half, who in return, gives her an “Are you serious?” look.

“Come on. What’s winter without a bit of razzle dazzle?”

Jungeun pries Jinsol’s mouth open with the popsicle, ghosting it over her lips before Jinsol finally gives in and lets Jungeun basically just shove the frozen popsicle on . Jinsol winces at the numbingly cold sensation from it, becoming number with the diabetes-inducing artificial flavoring.

Jungeun follows, already red from the cheap dye of the popsicle, then she smiles ever so widely that Jinsol’s heart aches, silently thanking the heavens for freezing off like a double popsicle with nobody but her in a poorly heated convenience store.

“When I get diabetes and freeze to death,” Jinsol pops the popsicle out of and points it at Jungeun while she surrounds her with her free arm, on the backrest of where the latter was seated. “I blame you.”

Jungeun laughs and taunts Jinsol, leaning closer and whispers in a low register, “Oh, yeah?”

Jinsol sighs defeatedly. “Unbelievable. After I get you a popsicle despite the clerk looking at me like I was a lunatic for buying it during this season, this is what you repay me?”

Jinsol’s pale cheek colors crimson, as Jungeun lays a gentle cherry colored kiss on it. “Better?”

Jinsol, instead, steals what she was looking for from Jungeun’s lips, the same cherry flavor sweeter than it is on her soft ones. “Much better.”

One kiss becomes two, then three, until Jinsol has memorized the way Jungeun kisses her slowly, the way she never misses a beat and knows just how Jinsol likes it.

However, it wasn't the kisses that had Jinsol aching for Jungeun. It was the mundane things that became sweeter which made Jinsol’s heart feel warmer, basking in the light of Jungeun.

“How was your first time watching the first snow?” Jinsol asks, turning her chair to Jungeun.

Jungeun lifts her eyebrows in confusion. “It’s not my first time?” 

“It is your first, with me.” Jinsol wiggles her eyebrows.

Jungeun rolls her eyes playfully and chuckles. “It is good so far. I never really had someone to watch it with.”

“Never? Even your family?”

Jungeun shakes her head in disagreement to Jinsol’s question.

“Oh.” Jinsol’s tone falls flat then she presses her lips into a thin line. “I’m sorry.”

Jungeun shakes her head again, this time trying to reassure Jinsol. “Don’t be, Sol. It’s just that winter is a regular and normal season that comes. My family just doesn't see it as something worth celebrating.”

It was the first time Jungeun had spoken about her family, because everything Jinsol knows about Jungeun was only limited to how she likes her coffee tasted, how she likes her sheets to smell like jasmines or cherry blossoms that reminds her of home, how she can choose to eat chocolates for the rest of her life.

It was all the things that Jinsol only notices, but never ones that Jungeun herself tells her. Yet, Jinsol feels like she has known Jungeun for an eternity.

Jinsol doesn’t quite know Jungeun to that extent yet, but she can tell Jungeun’s sudden fall in her normally high-pitched tone was a sign that there is a reason she doesn’t talk about it.

“Celebrate snow sticking on the ground for the first time after three seasons with the possibility of snow storms and us getting stranded inside our houses,” Jinsol voices out her thoughts.

Jungeun hums, making her aware that she is listening, then Jinsol continues, “Stranded which means hot cocoa under the duvet inspired by Cruella de Vil’s coat that you love so much which I got from Haseul last christmas.”

“Will there be cuddles?” Jungeun asks, riding along Jinsol’s string of ideas.

“Of course, there will be. We’ll even put on that gay red sausage monkey you always watch while we do so.” Jinsol proposes.

“I don’t like Cocomong!” Jungeun hits Jinsol’s shoulder.

“Mhmm, I doubt.” Jinsol chuckles, reminded of how Jungeun just sang Yum Yum just this morning. “So, is that a yes?”

Jungeun takes a bite off from her popsicle, (Which Jinsol takes note of on her mental list called “The Perfect Oddities of Kim Jungeun.”) then she raises an eyebrow. “Was that an invitation?”

Jinsol takes it as an opportunity to embarrass herself in an empty convenience store, in front of a store clerk who seemed very bored with her job, in front of the security cameras surrounding them, in front of Jungeun, if that’s what it takes to express her sincerity for her.

Jinsol, puts down her one knee on the dirty floor and raises her own unmelting popsicle, treating it as some sort of an offering to the princess in front of her, then she puts on the most beautiful smile she could muster, then breathes,

“Jungeun, I kneel before you to let you know that I will be here with you, during the days that are worth celebrating, and even celebrate with you the days that are not. And I promise to cherish those days with you even after the last snowflake melts, even after the last flower blooms and the last leaf falls, even after the sun moves south the equator, and everything in between. Which brings me to the question,”

(Jungeun’s eyes were already b with tears, and Jinsol was more than willing to wipe it away if ever they fall; And they do.)

“Will you, Kim Jungeun, spend this year’s first snow, and the next year’s and the next eternity’s too, and all of the seasons we come across in this lifetime, with me?”

Then comes silence, then Jungeun pushes Jinsol’s clavicle with her palm as she whines,

“This is your idea of invitation just for a cup of cocoa?”

“No, I did it for the cuddles.” Jinsol laughs as she raises her popsicle higher, waiting for Jungeun to accept it.

Jinsol didn’t have to be told yes , when Jungeun just pulls her to stand up, meeting her halfway with a kiss, as sweet as Jinsol always remembers, and it seals the deal, that Jinsol wouldn’t want to spend every waking day without the sight of the girl of her dreams, as cliché as it may sound, but the truth.

After, the both of them finish the rest of their popsicles making wishes with their eyes closed and hands clasped together as specks of snow fall outside the window, and to every speck that falls Jinsol wishes, with all her heart, that Jungeun may find happiness in everything, for as long as she exists, and that when she opens her own eyes, the dream she was living in wouldn't go away.

Present.

Jinsol opens her eyes and unclasps her hands together as soon as she finishes wishing, immediately cursing herself right after for still believing in things such as making a wish during the first snow.

Jinsol was all alone again for the first day of snow, of course. In the comfort of her home, by the windowsill, Jinsol watches the snow fall two floors below her, while she warms her fingertips with a mug of instant hot cocoa Haseul brought for her from the Magneton home invasion debacle just a week ago.

Work after work after work, Jinsol never really had the chance to rest as winter finally came, the institute getting called to arms as the aquarium requires more assistance than ever to get ready for the season. 

A peaceful morning finally came without hearing her ringtone blast through her room or email notifications pop up from her phone, and it was right on the day of the first snow. Jinsol finally decides to slow down and get the rest she needs.

Jinsol never really got to see Jungeun after their trip to the aquarium. She did exchange some texts and pictures, but her ears missed hearing Jungeun’s voice the most.

Jinsol was getting too comfortable around Jungeun much to her own liking. Jinsol thinks of not seeing Jungeun as a breather. (A breather for what? Jinsol asks herself; She doesn’t know the answer.)

Though it was a free day for Jinsol to lounge around, sleep all day, do whatever she pleases, she can’t help but feel bored. 

Building gundams and legos was long out of the picture since she started saving up for a car. Sudoku? Jinsol could solve dozens of those in a blink of an eye. (She just solved one from the morning newspaper earlier; She buys newspapers just for that reason.) 

Just as Jinsol was about to settle on her living room and just sleep the day away, she hears muffled voices right outside of her door as her lock resonates a couple of beeps before it opens, the voices slowly getting nearer and getting all too familiar.

Jinsol rolls over on her stomach on her couch and props her chin on her palm, then she watches Sooyoung and Haseul shake the cold away from their bodies, before they take their coats off while chattering about how it’s so ing cold .

“Give me one valid reason I shouldn't regret giving you permission to enter this apartment.” Jinsol sighs as she waits for them to finish with their curses.

Haseul smirks. “First, we got piping hot Jjamppong for lunch.—”

“—Which, by the way, almost got us a frostbite .” Sooyoung adds.

“Second, we brought you coffee from Dal Segno.” Haseul gently places the jjamppong takeout on the coffee table before diving right into Jinsol's stomach.

Jinsol winces at the sharp pain from the impact of Haseul’s shoulder hitting her sides. “Thank you, but I just had hot cocoa. And I’m not hungry.”

Jinsol’s stomach rumbles.

“You’re a pathological liar.” Sooyoung chuckles as she settles down the floor, mumbling how thankful she was for floor warmers, before she crosses her legs and gives her attention to the Jjamppong takeout waiting to be consumed.

Haseul lifts her head from the couch and brings a cup forward right where Jinsol was facing. “Coffee after cocoa, my liege.”

Jinsol takes the cup reluctantly before she sits up. Jinsol was staring at the logo of Dal Segno, the literal symbol of the Dal Segno, and it frightens her that it stares back, becoming bolder and scarier the more she stares at it because it reminded her of Jungeun, whom, in the irony of all, she was trying to forget for the day.

“If you’re trying to squeeze out more information from me than you already did, I’m gonna kick you both out.” Jinsol pushes herself up to sit. “I told you all there is to know.”

“Isn’t ‘Let’s eat delicious Jjamppong with Soulie on a snowy day!’ not enough reason to be here? You think lowly of us.” Sooyoung fakes a pained expression while she peels away the plastic lid from the container.

“Besides, you’ve been MIA for this past week. What’s up with your fishies? Were the fishies drowning or whatever?” Haseul settles beside Sooyoung on the floor, grabbing a pair of wooden chopsticks from the bag as eager as Sooyoung who was already drooling at the sight of the noodles.

Sooyoung deflates and scoffs. “Drowning? Really?”

Haseul puts her fist up. “This is you.” Then she hovers her other hand holding up her index finger past above her fist. “This is the joke.”

Jinsol shakes her head and chuckles as she finally settles beside Haseul, grabbing her own pair of chopsticks. “I was seriously bored a while ago but watching you two es cured me of boredom.”

“Ha ha. It doesn't come free.” Sooyoung raises an eyebrow while she elbows Haseul’s stomach and the latter grimaces. “Seriously, what have you been up to?”

“I’ve been incredibly busy. Winter’s here and you know how the aquarium’s going crazy with temperature adjustments here and there.” Jinsol truthfully says. 

Jinsol looks at the tendrils of smoke rising from the bright red soup of jjamppong in front of them, and her stomach rumbles once again. Maybe she is hungry.

“Gotta feed your loud monster in there or what?” Haseul pokes Jinsol’s stomach.

“Fine.” 

In a moment of hearing nothing but their slurping and chewing noises, Jinsol temporarily forgets everything she was thinking about as her surroundings fade into blur and all of her senses heighten while devouring the tasty and hearty food she hasn’t eaten in months.

However, Jinsol’s eyes catches the damn Dal Segno on the cup of coffee again, and after a brief moment, her stomach falls like she just went on a ride on a Gyro drop as a realization suddenly occurs.

Of course, it makes sense how she’s eating Chinese food at the moment and how she was served a cup of coffee from Dal Segno after not resurfacing for a week.

Jinsol didn’t want to assume, but she knows there is no harm in asking Sooyoung and Haseul.

“Okay, this is not working.” Jinsol sighs defeatedly. “What did Jungeun tell you?”

Caught off guard, Sooyoung coughs violently while Haseul scalds her tongue from the hot broth.

“Wrong pipe, again, wrong pipe!”

“Hot ing soup!”

Jinsol rolls her eyes as she tosses two bottles of water to each of them. “Did she send the both of you here?”

“No!” Sooyoung was the first to recover, wiping her lips after she took a couple of gulps from the bottle. “You weren’t talking to any of us, Jinsol. We thought maybe Jungeun had an idea about where you are.”

“Jungeun just said you haven’t been texting her either.” Haseul adds. “We figured maybe it’s time to barge in here. You know, in case you weren’t breathing anymore.”

Haseul and Sooyoung exchange knowing looks before directing their attention back to Jinsol.

“You should go contact her and let her know.” Haseul nods, but Jinsol only smiles weakly in return.

Jinsol wants to tell them. She wants to tell them how she realized how ed she is this past week: 

It was only as soon as Jinsol woke up this morning and saw the first snow free fall outside her window, when it finally dawns on her how she ached for Jungeun this past week and how she was just trying so hard not to think about Jungeun, that in the irony of it, she thought of Jungeun in every little thing she did. 

When she itched to call Jungeun every opportunity she got a hold of her phone but opted not to, afraid of being too clingy and annoying.

When she remembered how the blue ocean that Jinsol loves reflected on Jungeun’s amazing eyes, sparkling against the glass of the aquarium, all while she was walking down the oceanarium during her night rounds.

When she had found herself wearing Jungeun’s college hoodie to sleep, but instead of sadness, her tired frame found its comfort in it, making her energized the morning after.

Oh boy, she is ed.

It was what Jinsol had wished for the first snow, clarity of mind, that is. Everything was getting so confusing that she finds her own brain cells getting maxed out more than when she solves equations of derivatives from her Calculus class.

However, two words were enough for Jinsol to seal her thoughts away.

“Yeah, sure.”

Sooyoung pats Jinsol’s thigh gently. “Quoting Jungeun herself: “When you see Jinsol unnie, please send my regards to her and tell her to get her head out of her and text me.”

Haseul snorts. “I didn’t hear Jungeun say that a while ago.”

Sooyoung puts her fist up with a smirk. “This is you.” Then she hovers her other hand holding up an index finger past above her fist like Haseul did. “This is the joke.”

“You don’t know how much I want to punch you right now.” Haseul grits through her teeth as Sooyoung sticks her tongue out teasingly.

---------------------------------------------------

[Jeong Jinsol]:

7/10. -3 for the to-go cardboard flavor. Better in mugs.

[Jeong Jinsol]:

[image sent.]

[Kim Jungeun – Friend]:

You know we charge people for to-go mugs right?

[Kim Jungeun – Friend]:

Class with Ms. Jeon Heejin included.

It took a couple of rings before Jinsol’s call was answered, and she swears she felt like she just ran a marathon with how her heart pulsated against her chest when she heard the voice her ear was waiting to hear.

“Seven out of ten? That’s a little low for a free cup of coffee, don’t you think?” Jungeun laughs softly from the other line.

Jinsol smiles, tracing random circles on the frosted window. “So close to being a six. If you don’t stop giving it for free.”

“I guess I just have to accept the six.” 

“Tell you what, I can maybe amp it up a little and give you a nine if you shake my hand when we reach an agreement.”

Jungeun hums in reluctance then she clicks her tongue. “Shake your hand?”

“Look outside.”

Jungeun turns around, swinging the mop stick along as she her eyes busily searches for Jinsol, and she finally finds her standing by the door, still holding her phone by her ear.

Jinsol laughs as Jungeun runs, dragging the mop along as she frantically tries to unlock the door.

The contrast between Jinsol’s triple layer clothing and snowflake-covered hair and Jungeun’s cotton pullover set and a mess of a hair bun gives Jinsol relief, a sign of how warm it must be inside Dal Segno, already closed for the day, with only the lights and the turntable giving life to it while Jungeun is seemingly cleaning up.

“You’re crazy!” Jungeun lets the mop stick fall to the floor with a loud bang as she pulls Jinsol inside. “What are you doing?”

“You did tell me I’m free to drop by anytime.” Jinsol chuckles, her lips quivering while Jungeun helps her with her coat. 

“What were you doing with this poor mop?” Jinsol picks up the mop while she scans the empty café, then she approaches the turntable at the corner of the room, spinning a vinyl from the 60s, she assumes. 

“Using it to clean up a bit after inventory. A lot of customers ran to get warm with coffee today so I needed to do inventory myself.” Jungeun steals the mop from Jinsol’s hand. 

“Were Sooyoung and Haseul counted as today’s customers then?”

“Yeah.” Jinsol sees Jungeun’s smile shyly of embarrassment. “Right. Explains the coffee rate of seven.”

Jinsol notices how Jungeun’s shoulders were already slumping, trying to keep her balance with the mop, and how she’s trying to keep her eyes barely open. It was already too late in the evening for Jungeun to work on a weather like that. 

Jinsol tilts her head as she grabs the mop back from Jungeun, this time gently, then sets it aside and makes it lean on the wall, all while her eyes do not leave Jungeun who gives her a confused look in return.

“Will a five-minute break from the mop hurt?” Jinsol offers a hand while wiggling her eyebrows.

“As long as you don’t get the floor dirty, it won’t.” Jungeun, still very much confused, reluctantly takes Jinsol’s hand. 

Jungeun lets out a small surprised noise when Jinsol suddenly pulls her arms to rest on her shoulders, with both of her hands respectfully on both sides of her waist still maintaining a safe distance. Then, Jinsol guides Jungeun to sway with the music, the Sinatras’ famous rendition of Somethin’ Stupid playing on the turntable.

Jinsol scrunches her eyebrows while her eyes look around for a bit before turning to Jungeun. “It sure feels toasty in here. The Sinatra touch is neat too.”

“Of course, Frank Sinatra and a busy coffee shop makes sense, doesn’t it?” 

“I don’t know.” Jinsol shrugs as she looks back at Jungeun, but then she looks away, not really able to keep eye contact longer than five whole seconds because of their proximity.  “We’ve listened to The Little Mermaid’s soundtrack down at the aquarium this past week. Maybe it does make sense.”

“So that’s where you’ve been.” Jungeun chuckles.

“Yeah. It becomes busy there in winter too.” Jinsol chuckles. “I’m here now, though.”

Jinsol stops talking, letting the Sinatras sing as they sway in the poorly lit café. And it didn’t take long for Jungeun to hum along the melody she knows too well.

The world around them stills, and Jinsol could only muster a smile as she does not hear but listens. Jungeun’s voice had always been her favorite one to listen to. 

Jinsol’s body now feels less cold than before. She doesn’t know if it's their instantaneous swaying that somehow spreads heat through their bodies, or her cheeks burning from how Jungeun relaxes within her touch, or maybe it was her heart feeling fuzzy and sending warmth all throughout her system. 

Jinsol feels different and she doesn’t know if it’s a bad or good kind, but all she knows is she could live through this feeling, even over and over again, if the universe permits.

However, no matter how much the universe pulls them close together, time does not really favor their side. As the song comes to an end and as Jungeun hummed the last note, their swaying also stops, and Jinsol finally gains consciousness of her surroundings.

“What are you thinking about, Sol?” Jungeun asks.

Jinsol didn’t even realize until now how her eyebrows were scrunched, her hands still on Jungeun’s waist, and how she had already pulled Jungeun closer to her, not until she felt Jungeun’s breath trickle against her philtrum, her gaze now already on Jungeun’s lips.

What the hell did she just do? Do okay friends slow dance in the middle of a closed café by the turntable during the night of the first snow? Do okay friends get closer as they are right now?

Jinsol blinks and abruptly but cautiously retracts her hand from Jungeun’s waist and stuffs them both on the back pockets of her jeans, smiling awkwardly at Jungeun as she shakes her head. 

“Nothing. I—” Jinsol feels the warmth dissipate from her system. “I just think I like Bublé’s rendition with Reese Witherspoon more.”

“Right, right.” Jungeun’s smile was small, her eyes meeting the floor. “Well, I’ll just wrap this up then let’s go home.”

Jinsol doesn’t say anything after, and Jungeun returns to where Jinsol had set the mop aside and grabs it, then she mops the floor where Jinsol was slow-dancing with her, then the vinyl stops spinning, just as Jinsol’s heart finally begins calming.

---------------------------------------------------

The doorbell rings one time.

“Soo?”

“Whaaaat?” Sooyoung stirs awake and tightens her arms around her person.

The doorbell rings two more times.

“Baby, what is iiiiit?”

“Soo, the door…”

The doorbell rings repeatedly until Sooyoung’s system awakens, along with a couple of slaps on her arm.

“Ha Sooyoung, if you don’t get the damn door, I swear to God!” Jiwoo’s high-pitched voice rings through the bedroom.

“Goddamn it!” Sooyoung groans and jolts up (not forgetting to gently kiss Jiwoo’s forehead, of course) before she navigates through the dimly lit room as she only relies greatly on her spatial awareness while she tries to pry her sleepy eyes open.

“Who the pays a visit at two in the morning?” Sooyoung drags her heels to the door across the apartment as she wraps herself tighter with Jiwoo’s favorite blanket.

Sooyoung's words of anger and frustration were already at , waiting to burst like a dam as soon as she gets the door open, but she swallows all of it as quick, when she sees the door reveal Jinsol, her tired eyes meeting Sooyoung’s immediately, cheeks pale, shuddering intensely, while she desperately keeps herself warm by stuffing her hands deeper in the pockets of her coat until it was close to tearing off from its stitches inside.

“Oh my god, are you okay?” Sooyoung pulls Jinsol inside immediately, guiding her to the warmest spot of the apartment, in the kitchen.

“I’m starting to think hell’s more of an icebox than a fireplace.” Jinsol grits through her teeth, her lips still shaking. “Yeah, ask me again in five minutes?”

“Genuine question, are you coo-coo? Like for real?” Sooyoung springs up to search for hand warmers through the kitchen drawers. “What are you doing out in the middle of the night in winter?”

Jinsol chuckles bitterly. “I do think I’m getting dumber every second, thank you.”

Sooyoung races to her bedroom. Still careful not to wake her princess up, she rummages through her bedside drawers like a burglar in action, which causes Jiwoo to stir for a bit, but not totally awaken. 

As soon as she finally gets what she was looking for, she carefully plants a kiss on Jiwoo’s lips this time and whispers how much she loves her, seeing Jiwoo’s lips curl up a bit, before running back out to Jinsol.

“Here.” Sooyoung tosses Jinsol the hand warmer. “Before you freeze to death, Anna of Arendelle.”

“Thanks.” Jinsol mutters, finally calming down as she feels the warmer slowly heat up in her palms.

“So,” Sooyoung starts, busily filling an electric kettle with water. “What’s your deal with this hypothermic march you just did going to my apartment?”

“I told Jungeun I liked Bublé more than Sinatra.”

Sooyoung unconsciously knits her eyebrows together in confusion. “Is that a big problem?”

Jinsol sighs. “No. It’s the fact that we almost kissed after I told her that.”

“Oh.”

Sooyoung stops her tracks, only the sound of the electric kettle going off fills the room. Jinsol just gazes at Sooyoung’s back facing her, frozen in one spot instead of busily rummaging through the cupboard for a bag of tea like she was doing moments ago.

Jinsol’s visit wasn’t really intentional. She never thought she would find herself desperately ringing on Sooyoung’s doorbell during the time of the night where she usually finds herself in the comfort of her own apartment. Sooyoung was the first person that popped into Jinsol's mind as soon as she felt like she was going to head for cardiac arrest.

Jinsol didn’t know what to do after she exchanged awkward farewells with Jungeun at her doorstep. As soon as Jungeun closed the door, she knew that there was an elephant in the room they failed to address.

So here Jinsol was, sitting in one of Sooyoung’s dining room stools after she had carried that elephant all the way to Sooyoung’s apartment instead of her own apartment, where the possibility of the elephant trampling her in her sleep was high. 

Jinsol thinks Sooyoung could help alleviate the heavy weight somehow.

The kettle stops. Sooyoung calmly reaches for a mug, then pours the hot liquid in it before drowning a tea bag in. Sooyoung faces Jinsol with a calm look on her face, the face she seldom makes, which was in contrast with her usual -eating grins and teasing smirks.

Jinsol calms down, feeling the tranquility from the look on Sooyoung’s face. However, shortly thereafter, Jinsol’s eyes start to gloss, reflecting how heavy the baggage was for her already.

“You can say ‘I told you so’ now, Soo. I’m so ing hard headed, am I?” Jinsol’s voice cracks halfway, but she suppresses it with a sad smile. “You can tell me now how I’m living up to being the dumber one between the two of us.”

“You know I won’t do that.” Sooyoung pushes the cup of tea to Jinsol’s direction, a stern look painted all over her face. “Not on a serious note, at least.”

“I thought I had it, Soo. Everything felt alright. I was already moving forward and comfortable with what we have. I guess I was wrong.” Jinsol’s shoulders slump while she traces the rim of the mug with her finger.

“I guess I was just trying so hard to bury the fact that I loved her so much that it became so easy for me to forget the pain I’ve been through.” 

Sooyoung looks at Jinsol and sees how she was back as the version of Jinsol who was sad and gloomy, who drank her way through the weekend, who copes up by joking about her love life with a faux smile, who was unhappily living her lonely life.

This past month, Sooyoung saw a version of Jinsol she had never seen in two whole years. The version of Jinsol who had a genuine bright look in her eyes, who doesn’t call Sooyoung to drink anymore but instead spends her weekends in her own apartment with Sooyoung having to drag her out with Haseul. 

If anyone was wrong, Sooyoung thinks it’s her, because all she thought was Jungeun would only bring nothing but pain to Jinsol, but she made Jinsol happy too, after all.

(Don’t get her wrong, Sooyoung still doesn’t disregard the fact that Jungeun also just made Jinsol confused as ever right now, of course. Sooyoung will be dealing with that when she consults her muse later as soon as she wakes up.)

“What will I get when I tell you ‘I told you so’? Bragging rights?” Sooyoung scoffs.

“Look, ” Sooyoung crosses her arms. “If you think I’ll just tell you easily how you’re as stupid as the Mola Mola fish—”

“—How do you know what a Mola Mola fish is?”

“—when I, as your bestest friend, know that you’re just Jeong Jinsol, a human who falls in love, then you’re absolutely wrong.” Sooyoung huffs. “And oh, I knew Mola Mola fish from one of those documentaries you used to let us watch but that’s not the point, obviously.”

(Jinsol tries to hide her smile as she was caught off-guard by the fact that Sooyoung remembered the most random thing from Jinsol’s seven-episode documentaries, despite showing no interest (but still trying) and sleeping in during its entirety. All because the boney fish is stupid.)

“You may be the dumbest marine biology graduate, Mathlete, and Lego and Gundam enjoyer.” Sooyoung continues as Jinsol rolls her eyes, “However, you have a big heart. A fragile one. That’s what makes you special.”

Jinsol massages her temple in frustration, “What am I gonna do, Soo? How will I face her?”

“It’s entirely up to you, no matter what I say. Do whatever you think is right.” Sooyoung lays a hand on Jinsol’s shoulder. “We’ll just be here in case all hell breaks loose.”

Jinsol knows how Sooyoung’s reassurance had an underlying meaning, considering Jinsol’s isolation and running tendencies when everything becomes too much. However, Jinsol was sure she wouldn’t do it anymore, considering how it ruined most of the things around her. 

Jinsol takes a sip of the tea, Chamomile, which Sooyoung always drinks, and shoots Sooyoung a teasing look before giggling.

“Maybe I should always cause problems, Soo. It’s the only time you’re kind to me.”

Sooyoung scoffs. “What do you mean? Being your best friend is charity work.”

“ off.” Jinsol punches Sooyoung’s arm while the latter chuckles.

“Soo, what’s taking you so long—” A voice from the hallway grew louder as it went nearer.

Jinsol’s mouth gapes. “Jiwoo?”

Sooyoung closes her eyes shut, as opposed to how Jiwoo’s eyes opened from a sleepy state to a shocked one.

Jinsol knows how something was going on between them, but she was waiting for Sooyoung to tell her and confirm her suspicion. She never thought she would find out how Sooyoung was literally sleeping with Jiwoo, both of them clad in fruit-designed pajamas, Jiwoo’s set with strawberries and Sooyoung’s set with apples.

“Hey, Jinsol unnie.” Jiwoo chuckles nervously, approaching the both of them with small strides. “Fancy seeing you here at… three in the morning?”

“Yeah, it was some sort of emergency.” Jinsol double-takes between the shy Sooyoung and embarrassed Jiwoo, both of them already crimson red in the face.

“Am I—” Jinsol tried to suppress her chuckle but failed. “Am I missing something?”

“Jinsol, you’re pissing me off.” Sooyoung abruptly stands, then Jinsol finally guffaws.

“Laugh all you want, but I actually have a girlfriend.” Sooyoung pulls Jiwoo beside her by her waist. “Jiwoo is my girlfriend.”

That was all it took for Jinsol to shut up, then she fakes a pained expression. “Ow! And you didn’t tell me? I’m gonna tell Haseul!”

“Haseul already knows, .” Sooyoung hits the back of Jinsol’s neck. 

“Only you and Jungeun were the ones left who don't know, actually.” Jiwoo says softly, her voice still groggy. “We were finding the chance to break the news to both of you at the same time. You know? ‘Cause both of you are our bestest friends.”

“But you both have been missing in action these past few days.” Sooyoung adds. “We just couldn’t find the right time to tell you.”

“Oh.”

Exactly how busy were they in their own little world to even miss the news of Sooyoung and Jiwoo’s budding romance?

Jinsol should absolutely do something about it.

---------------------------------------------------

Past.

Jinsol usually likes it when she lays in bed. It meant having an invisible barrier from everything that she does that puts her mind at work. Her bed is a safe space that she could always use as a resting spot or a space she could put a lot of thinking on her personal matters instead.

To think of it, maybe Jinsol only liked being in bed only when good things came through her mind and put her to sleep like a lullaby. Now, she doesn’t get the satisfaction of having a light heart anymore as soon as her head hits the pillow.

In baseball, (From what Jinsol had picked up from watching Doosan Bears and LG Twins play at the stadium with his father and brother) the player from the attacking side can have a strikeout by gaining three strikes. From the basic mechanics of the game, there are many ways to gain a strike. A strikeout meant losing your own turn as a batter to play for the points your team needs to win. 

Three strikes and you're out. 

The first strike, the rice cake outburst.

Jinsol recently received her grades for her class and rather than receiving the marks she was expecting, she received a notice saying how both of the mediocre scores she got from her latest exams combined did not meet the passing requirement to qualify for a high grade which she needed for applying for an internship in their local marine institute.

Jinsol was putting almost all of her hours on a scientific paper which was the last chance her professor gave her to save her grades, and it meant having less hours on her personal life, less hours spent with her friends and Jungeun.

Jungeun, of course, expressed her support to Jinsol in many ways, in many little things.

The first few nights were bearable, Jungeun just leaving Jinsol alone in her apartment to work, bringing her cups of coffee she always buys from the café they always hang out in, leaving her freshly cooked instant ramen from the pack, making sure Jinsol doesn’t hunger herself from working too hard.

However, as the weeks passed by, Jinsol struggled hard to balance her time in between her other classes. As soon as she gets home, she also works on things other than her paper, which makes her unintentionally leave the food Jungeun always leaves for her cold, only taking a couple of bites from it before she forgets its existence. Jinsol became well aware of the food waste she was causing when Jungeun gave a couple of worried reminders about skipping meals.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter