Found my Way

Found my Way
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

[Third Person POV]

 

 

 

 

 

Mina was doing her usual routine, walking through the hallways, greeting her patients, and stopping at doors, to see if any changes happens.

In one room she stopped, smiling sadly when she saw one of her younger patients lying in the bed, eyes open and tears rolling down.

She got inside, knocking on the door lightly, not to surprise the girl.

When Mina was noticed, the girl quickly whipped the tears away and tried to sit up a bit

 

 

“Hey Yeji, can’t sleep?”

the girl nodded, looking away, feeling probably insecure by being caught crying

 

 

“Are you in pain or is something wrong with the lighting? Are you hungry or thirsty?”

the doctor asked, knowing it must be awful to be alone in a hospital at the age of 16.

 

 

Yeji got inside the hospital with broken ribs after a failed attempt to do a figure at cheerleading practice. It’s been only three days, but Yeji still couldn’t fall asleep, another reason why Mina usually stops by her room.

 

 

“I’m fine Dr. Myoui”

Mina frowned at the expression the younger made and got her phone out, texting a nurse.

 

Yeji watched the doctor and tried to find out what the woman was doing but gave up when Mina put her phone away. She thought the older would leave her after hearing her response, but she was wrong. Mina took a seat and smiled at her patient.

It was silent for a moment, Mina observing Yeji while the latter didn’t know what to say.

The doctor sigh softly after a moment and opened

 

 

“You give me the feeling that something is bothering you. Correct me if I’m wrong”

Yeji’s eyes widen but she knew after the look Mina gave her she couldn’t keep quiet

 

 

 

“I just worry about my Mom”

Mina was confused by the statement, so the younger girl continued

 

 

 

“She is alone at home with my younger siblings Jinni and Kyujin and my twin can’t help because he is abroad with his boyfriend”

Mina got to know Ms. Kim and she seemed rather content and calm, so it made her wonder what made the younger girl worry about her mother.

 

However, Mina wasn’t there at the time Yeji got to the hospital, so maybe she didn’t see everything

 

 

“What about your father?”

This question made Yeji chuckle

 

 

 

“He left after Kyujin was born. He decided that he was done acting like a dad. He was not interested in us and cheated on my mom with one of his co-workers. Since then, my mom had to take care of me and my siblings alone”

Mina thought it was horrible to hear this story

 

 

 

“Nobody helped you?”

 

 

 

“My grandparents live far away, and my aunts tried to help but they have their own families to take care of and since Hyunjin and I are the older siblings, we always helped out with Jinni and Kyujin”

 

 

 

“That’s really kind of you, not everyone is willing to spend their childhood taking care of their siblings,”

Mina said

 

 

 

“I like taking care of them. They don’t bother me at all. My mom works hard for us and always tries to make time for us, helping with our homework, cooking for us, and doing the household even if she is tired. She is the best mom, and I don’t want to be a burden again”

 

 

 

“Again?”

Mina couldn’t help but ask after seeing the sad look on Yeji’s face

 

 

 

“I was sick when I was like nine. We thought it was the flu, but it turned out to be a dangerous sickness. I already forgot how it was called but I was in the hospital for over a month and didn’t know when I recover. I caught my mom crying at night when she thought I was sleeping. My siblings lived at our aunt's house while my Mom stayed with me the whole time. Weeks later and I finally got better. When we got home I asked her why she cried, and she told me that the doctor told her to prepare herself. They thought I would die”

Mina gasped at the story.

 

 

She knew just from the symptoms and how Yeji told her about it, what it was and was surprised to hear that the girl survived.

 

“Since then I never got sick again, but my mom was still always watching me closely. I think she gave me strength when I was in the hospital. I never felt alone and now…..She has to worry about me again”

Now tears were slowly leaving Yeji’s face and Mina had to hold back a tear as well, moved from the story.

 

It’s not the first time she hears a story from a patient and each time it’s moving or heartbreaking.

She is proud to be the doctor of such strong individuals and it makes her enjoy her job more.

 

 

“You’re a very strong girl Yeji and I think, no, I know that your mother is proud of you. You will never be a burden to her, she loves you with her whole heart”

Yeji smiled at the doctor's words.

 

 

 

Suddenly the door opened, and a nurse got inside with a teddy.

Mina stood up and thanked the nurse before taking the stuffed animal and handing it to Yeji

 

“I know you’re a teenager, but I thought, this could be the best next thing not to make you feel alone”

 

 

“Thank you Dr. Myoui”

Yeji said and yawned

 

 

“Not only for this but also for listening to me”

 

 

“You’re welcome. And just call me Mina, we will see each other for another month if I’m correct”

Yeji nodded and lay comfortably back in her bed,

hugging the teddy close to her chest.

 

 

Mina wished her a good night before going out of the room.

She continued her usual routine, but her thoughts were still on the young girl.

 

 

 

 
The next day, Mina came to the hospital an hour early before her shift started because she wanted to talk to Ms. Kim about Yeji’s condition.

Luckily the family was still inside Yeji’s room and talked to her.

 

Since the teenager was distracted by her little sisters,

Mina asked for a minute with Ms. Kim.

 

 

“Thank you for treating my daughter with so much care. She told me about the stuffed animal”

Ms. Kim said

 

 

“It’s nothing, Ms. Kim. That’s my job”

Mina said with a smile

 

 

 

“Dahyun, and I know what tasks a doctor has to do, and staying with a patient to make them fall asleep and giving them a teddy is not one of them”

the mother said with a smile.

 

Before Mina could say something, the shorter added

 

“I just wanted to say thank you Dr. Myoui”

 

 

“It’s Mina”

 

 

“Thank you Mina”

 

 

 

“My pleasure Dahyun”

The two women didn’t know what was happening,

but they knew that they just had a moment.

 

Getting back to herself Mina smiled at the woman in front of her

 

 

 

“Actually I wanted to talk to you about Yeji. Since she will stay for at least another month inside the hospital, I would like you to have a conversation with her”

this made Dahyun raise an eyebrow

 

 

 

“She worries about you. I mean about her siblings and that she is a burden to you”

Yeji watched from afar that her mother and doctor were talking to each other.

 

Because of her little sisters, she couldn’t hear what they were talking about but when she looked at her mom’s expression, she smiled and so she paid her attention to Jinni and Kyujin, not seeing that Dahyun’s expression changed to a sad one after a while.

 

 

She didn’t notice when her mom left the room to make a call.

 

"So you must be Jinni and Kyujin"

Mina said, getting the attention of the two little girls

 

 

"Yep, this is Kyujin and I'm Jinni"

the older of the two said

 

 

"Are you the doctor to fix Yeji Unnie?"

the younger then asked, making the doctor laugh

 

 

 

"That would be me"

 

 

 

"Nobody is fixing me Kyujin. My body just has to heal"

Yeji then told her sister

 

 

 

"Can my body do that too?"

Jinni asked, making the two older chuckle

 

 

 

"Of course, but the best is not trying to break it"

Mina then advised

 

 

 

"That sounds boring"

Kyujin then said,

 

 

 

"You want to feel pain?"

Yeji then asked the youngest whose eyes widen

 

 

 

"Noooooo"

she answered, shaking her head.

 

 

Mina talked with the three some more until Dahyun got back.

Mina excused herself to give them some privacy and to get back to work.

It was a bit later when visiting hours are slowly ending that she got back to the room, finding two other women in the room.

 

 

 

“You must be the doctor Yeji talks about. I’m Nayeon and that is Jihyo, we are the aunts”

Mina shook each hand with a smile and looked at Dahyun who nodded her head.

 

 

 

“Seems like visiting hours are ending. Jinni, you sleep over at aunt Jihyo’s house while Kyujin will sleep over at Nayeon’s”

the two girls were excited to sleep over at their aunts' houses,

loving to play with their cousins.

 

Yeji was confused by this, thinking her aunts would just visit to look for her.

 

 

 

“Why are they sleeping over?”

 

 

 

“Someone has to look after my little Babies while I stay with the biggest one for tonight”

Dahyun answered, going closer to her daughter’s bed

 

 

 

“But Mom-“

 

 

 

“Your doctor told me about your talk yesterday. It’s only for today alright?”

Yeji looked at Mina with a betrayed look, making the doctor chuckle since it was rather a pout

 

 

 

“Only for today Yeji. There is a couch in your room so that your mom can sleep comfortably, and we will give her a blanket as well”

Yeji was a bit overwhelmed but accepted it.

 

Her siblings and aunts bit goodbye while Mina stayed with them.

She did a small check-up on Yeji, wanting Dahyun to be there as well, to let her know in every detail what is happening to Yeji’s body while healing.

 

 

While the nurses made Yeji's bed ready,

the doctor and mother went out of the room,

Mina showing Dahyun around to get ready herself.

 

 

“Thank you again for helping her. She and her siblings are my everything”

 

 

“I could see it after Yeji talked about her past sickness. You’re very strong Ms.- I mean Dahyun. They love you just as much and if you need any help, I’m there”

Dahyun looked up at Mina after hearing it

 

“I know I’m just the doctor, but I still want to help and be there if you need it”

Dahyun was moved and there was another moment she couldn’t pinpoint.

 

 

 

“I will call if anything happens”

she said with a shy smile.

 

The two continued to walk until they reached Yeji’s room again.

 

 

“Good night Dahyun, I will be around till 5 am, so if you need anything call me”

Mina said, giving Dahyun a business card

 

 

 

“Can I call you because of another reason too?”

Mina was surprised to hear it but smiled, nodding her head

 

 

 

“If you need a doctor, a f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter