Life is not a fairy tale

Not a fairy tale
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Summer had been hotter than expected even for Hwasa, the famous singer and someone who always loved warm weather.

After her birthday, the 59-year-old celebrity decided it was a good time to have a small vacation and gather people she cared about.

However, her husband said the women would feel more relaxed without the men around and Hwasa agreed.

The gorgeous brunette opened an exception to their kids since her own son was dating Moonbyul's niece and Solar also had a son.

Hwasa went to the farm with her son and daughter and the first group to arrive after them was formed by Seulgi and her twin girls and Yesol's boy and girl.

They all sat on the porch and chatted excitedly for an hour until Yonghee brought her mother from the city.

The singer welcomed the 85-year-old lady with a warm hug and helped her sit on a comfortable chair.

_____ Are you sure this is okay, Hyejin-ah? You know her condition..._____ Yonghee murmured while greeting the host.

_____ Of course, unnie. I've been there. Appa and omma...as you know...

_____ Yes...But I mean...this is supposed to be fun for you all. I'm afraid...

_____ Unnie, life is bittersweet. I'm sure all of our families are well aware of it. By now...So don't worry so much. Let Mrs. Kim enjoy some pure air and some laughter. We all should. While we still can._____ The younger one patted the other woman's back and pulled her to the porch.

Not long after that, Moonbyul arrived in the company of a driver.

The 61-year-old woman got off the car with his help and asked him to come back in a week.

Her nieces and nephew stepped ahead and hugged her tenderly.

All of them were in their early 20s and they adored their cool aunt.

Surprised to see Mrs. Kim and Yonghee, the former artist greeted them with a smile and waved.

Knowing her friend very well, Hwasa stepped ahead and wrapped her arms around her while whispering:

_____ I'm sorry I lied. I really wanted you here.

_____ That's not fair, Hyejin-ah. It's not the best moment to torture me. ____ The taller one replied but hugged her friend back.

______ Time isn't on our side, Byul-ah. Let's try to mend some broken pieces.

______ you, Hyejinie. I'm ready to throw the pieces in the trash._____ The charismatic woman laughed and climbed the small stair to the porch.

The younger ones started a random talk and then, Yesol's son suddenly asked his famous aunt:

______ Don't you agree that love can't last forever, Byul Byul?

______ Come on! Haven't you paid attention to aunt Byul-YI's songs? She is a romantic._____ One of Seulgi's twins commented.

Hwasa's son laughed and said:

______ Her lyrics are also and dramatic. Which side of Moonstar should we trust?

The host giggled and declared:

_____ All of them are partially true. But you should never trust this hamster.

Nodding in agreement, the handsome woman responded:

_____ Hyejin is right. Don't trust me. I don't believe in forever. I think it's possible to love someone for the rest of your life though.

______ Have you ever loved someone so much that you thought it would be the one until you died?_____ The niece that was dating Hwasa's son asked Moonbyul.

______ Yes._____ The 61-year-old started feeling uncomfortable.

______ And what happened?_____ The nephew leaned his uppermost with curiosity.

_____ She had plans that didn't include me. Like marrying and having kids._____ Moonbyul forced a smile.

The group suddenly became quiet and a bit sad.

Yesol's daughter started formulating the question they all had in mind:

_____ Do you still love...

_____ Byul-YI, would you kindly take me to the lake? If it's not a trouble._____ Mrs. Kim interrupted the talk in a very natural way.

_____ Not trouble at all, Mrs. Kim._____ The former artist helped the elder to stand up and held her arm while they walked slowly side by side for the next 10 minutes.

There was a wooden bench near the lake and Moonbyul carefully sat the old lady there.

_____ Come sit with me, child.

Smiling for being called that way, the charming woman fulfilled the lady's wish.

_____ I need to tell you something that will make you uncomfortable. But it is out of love.

_____ Go ahead, omoni.

The elder glanced at the former celebrity with teary eyes:

_____ Oh, you don't know how this makes me happy. That you still call me this way.

_____ Isn't it natural, though? Aren't I the youngest Kim?_____ Moonbyul smiled.

Sighing, Mrs.Kim nodded before saying:

______ Yes. And I wish you and Yongsun...

______ Omoni, let's not bring back old pains. It's okay.

______ Byul-YI, I saw you in the hospital. And I know you were not visiting or making company. I've been on the oncology floor for a while now too. 

______ Oh...

______ To be honest, I asked Hyejin to bring you here.

_____ Why, omoni?

_____ My cancer...is stage four.

_____ Oh my God, omoni. Why didn't you call me?

_____ Just listen, sweetie. I'm under heavy doses of morphine. I've lived well though.

_____ No. You still have...

_____ I've accepted my faith. Death is just another chapter. But YOU, you gotta fight! I know it's not the end for you.

_____ You don't know that, omoni. Not even the doctors know.

_____ I do. You can beat this ! And you should tell Yongsun.

_____ Why? We are not part of each other's lives anymore. It's been 25 years since we last talked. Or more.

_____ Yet, you still love her._____ The 85-year-old caressed the former artist's face.

______ It doesn't matter.

 ______ Of course it does. She still loves you too. Forgive and forget, Byul-YI. Life is too precious to waste with inferior things.

______ Sorry, omoni. I'm not a good person. And I think you are wrong about her feelings. Yongsun may be your daughter but you don't know her that well. She never loved me.

_____ She is stubborn. Just like you. But everybody knows she never loved her husband. May he rest in peace.

______ She was pretty convincing. They even had a son.

_____ Sweetie...having children doesn't require two people to be in love. Sometimes I question myself. I keep thinking that I may have done something to lead her to such a silly decision. But then again...I don't think I did. I swear, Byul-YI. I didn't mention grandchildren. Didn't ask about marriage. I knew you were in love with each other. I wouldn't hurt you.

Moonbyul noticed that the elder was breathing with difficulty and she saw the sincerity in her words.

_____ I never blamed you, omoni. It's alright.  As you said, let's forgive and forget. The past is no longer a problem.

_____ Promise you will fight this cancer and be happy, Byul-YI.

After some hesitation, the younger one held the elder's hand and murmured:

______ I promise, omoni.

Grinning, the chubby lady released a deep sigh and mumbled:

______ Now I can rest. I love my three daughters so...much.

______ That's right, omoni. You have 3 daughters. _____ Moonbyul smiled but then, she felt the lady's hand lose the strength of the grip.

______ Omoni, talk to me. Please, omoni...Don't you dare...

The former artist leaned closer and confirmed that the elder wasn't breathing anymore.

Crying, Moonbyul pulled the old lady and held her head against her chest.

______ Why did you choose to die with me, omoni? Why?

Suddenly the former artist heard a familiar voice behind her:

______ What is going on? Byul-ah, why are you crying?

______ I'm sorry, Yong. Please forgive me. I couldn't do anything. She...I would give my life for hers. But I...

There was so much pain and suffering in Moonbyul's voice that her former best friend could physically feel.

Solar slowly turned around and stood in front of the duo.

The 62-year-old caressed her mother's hair with affection and some tears rolled down her face.

_____ She seems happy. It's been a long time since I saw a real smile on my mother's face. She loved you very much, Byul-ah. Thank you for being with her.

______ Don't mention it._____ The younger one tried to speak but her voice cracked.

Yonghee came towards them and realized that happened.

Silently wiping the tears on her face, the older Kim said:

______ Mom is free now. Once I asked Hyejin if

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter