The World I Live in

Being a Wielder

The last bell of the day has rung. The teacher reminds us of the work due tomorrow as most of the student scramble to run out the classroom. Some tripped on others as they were trying to talk to their friends either in person or via their phones. A few students took the moment and spoke to the teacher either about their grades or the days work. 
 

I took my time and slowly packed my things. I put my car keys on my desk before closing the backpack all the way. By the time I was ready, the crowd  had been cleared out of the classroom. I took a deep breath before starting my treck across campus to my car. 
 

On my walk, students everywhere were dumping their things onto another person. Those then followed with a blank expression out of the school. Disgusting. A lot of our learning materials had a digital option and most of those freaks had more than enough money to have a portable device. I kept my expression blank as I walk through the dispersing crowd. I don't know if I'll ever understand how this world was created or what idiot made it this way. 
 

As I passed the gym, some light momentarily blinded me. I held my hand up to help me see. However, my sight was Bo longer needed when a student called out, "Look its a card!" I sighed and rolled my eyes. Students ran around me to try and grab the card themselves while others were yelling names to go snatch it for them. 
 

That card wasn't an ordinary playing card. It held a magical being in it. This being had a power that would fall into one of the 5 elements: earth, water, fire, earth, and spirit. Students were also able to collect them. Once they were claimed, the being inside were forced to do their bidding. These being were refered to as warriors as countries have been known to use them in their militaries.  
 

"How could you let that card away? Are you stupid or something?" Another student yelled at the being as I entered the parking lot. 
 

I clenched my fists and squeezed my eyes as I forced myself to continue walking. This was a daily occurrence. Revolting. What pisses me off even more, is the fact that nothing I do with change a thing.  I finally find my Toyota Corolla and couldn't get in it fast enough. My bag no as thrown into the passenger's seat and the door was slammed shut beside me. I took a deep breath as I stared at the bottom of my stearing wheel. I needed to get away from this school. I turned my car on and put on my seat belt. 
 

Eventually, I made it home. Sometimes I don't understand why my parents decided on this huge estate. Its not like we have enough family member's to fill all the rooms in it. I parked my car in the garage with all of the other cars. Although I appreciate my parents , I dont understand them sometimes. I grabbed by bag and headed out. 

"Welcome back," a quiet voice announced. 
 

"Thank you and Good afternoon Eunjung," I replied with a smile as I closed the door. 
 

She kept her head bowed as I walked by her. I never did like it, but she was stubborn and would only say "I'm sorry. It is appropriate to greet you properly as you are my masters child." No matter how much I told her to just greet me casually by name, she always refused. After about a year of this conversation, she won. 
 

"Are my parents home?" I asked before heading up to my room. 
 

"Yes, they are and they mention something about having a conversation with you during dinner today," she continued to speak with her head down. 
 

I sighed, "so it seems," I muttered under my breath. "Thank you for the update Ms. Eunjung. I will be up in my room if you need anything." I gave a short bow before heading upstairs. I already know what they're going to talk. It will most likely be the same topic every single year. 
 

I walked into my bedroom and didn't bother to close my door. I set my backpack on my desk chair and threw myself on the bed. The sun light was directly on my eyes as the curtains were wide open. I groaned and got up. Most of the rooms in this household had balconies and mine was not the exception. The window gave a nice view of the pool and the warrior that was cleaning around it. She was waving her hand creating controlled waves. A net was then used to collect all of the debris that had fallen into the pool.

"Knock knock," a voice sang.

"Yes mother," I replied as I closed the curtains half way. 

"How was school, sweetheart?" She asked now sitting in my bed. 

I sat on my reading chair, "Good, I learned some new stuff. I got mad at how warrior were treated. Nothing new. How was your day, Mom?" 
 

She smiled, "Good! I was able to get your favorite food for dinner. Are you sure you don't want a party for your birthday? Its not too late you know?" 
 

"Yes mother, I don't want a birthday party. I would love just a simple dinner." I answered with a reassuring smile. 
 

"Alright, if you say so. What about presents? Have you come up with anything else? You can anything and everything you ask for?" 
 

"No. I appreciate it, but I would just like those black Doc Martins please." I ask with my hands  clasped together. I knew if Mom had the chance, she would go all out. She was deeply offended last year when I asked for a Toyota Corolla as a car instead of a fancy car like a Rolls Royce or a Porsche. 
 

With a sigh, "Okay then, well dinner should be ready in an hour or so. I'll have Eunjung or Jiyeon call you when its ready." 
 

"Okay thank you Mom," I replied as she got up. 

She closed the door behind her. I leaned back in my chair and looked out to the mountain. I was born into the wrong world. Never have I seen myself ruling over another being and treating as a slave. I don't even know how many warriors my parents have. Students at school abuse of the them constantly and no adult bats an eyelash. My parents have never abused them in front of me, but I don't doubt that they have. They are seemingly powerful people. I know that we are in the top tier of society, so for them me driving the car that I do is offensive to them. The reason I got away with it is by making sure that would stop hounding me to choose a birthday present. After a week of confirming with them, that I didn't want a $100,000+ car, they surprised me on my birthday with it.

My eyes got heavy, but I couldn't allow myself to take a nap before dinner. I grabbed my journal on the side table along with the pencil. A birthday cake? Sure, I can draw a birthday cake, I thought before proceeding with the artwork. I'm not great a sketching but it gives me something to do.

 

Knock, knock

"Sorry to bother you, but my master wanted me to inform you that dinner is ready," a timid voice announced on the other side of the door. 

"Thank you Jiyeon," I called out. "I will head down stairs in a moment." I closed my book and put everything back where it was. I walked over to the bathroom to wash my hands before heading to the dinning room. 

"Good afternoon," I greeted everyone before taking my seat across from my mother. 

"Hey, how was school today?" My old man asked. 

"It went well. Nothing special to report about. How was your day, Dad?"

"I went well. We're planning to expand soon." He replied as warriors began to bring plates out.

Once the plates were starting to make it to the table, I new they went too far again. The table that easily fit 10 people was full of food.

I sighed, "Mom, I think you went too far..again."

She gasped, "Of course no dear! I wanted to surprise you with all of your favorite foods on this special day?"

"it was either this or a ball with half the town invited," Dad scoffed.

The last plate was served and Dad announced, "Well let's dig in." Mom and I nodded and proceeded to grab food on our plate.

Most of our time was spent eating and small talk until our stomachs couldn't take anymore food. 
 

"Well I think it's time for one last gift for your birthday." Mom announced and Dad nodded.

I gave them both a wary look. What did. They have up their sleeves? Jiyeon came out and handed her a small box.

"Here you go darling, I hope you like it," she handed the box to me with a big smile.

I accepted it with two hands and carefully unwrapped and opened the box. It was a card with the letters spelling out, "Bang Chan" on top.

My parents got me a warrior for my birthday...