Never Meet Your Idol

Daily KyuSung Fics As Promised

"A musical? You know that I'm not interested in stuff like that, right?"

"I know but I don't want to waste a free ticket. Who knows? Maybe you might like it, hyung!"

.

.

.

.

.

Jongwoon fell in love at first sight.

 

 

"The white clouds seem snug and fluffy. The crimson sunset is like a warm cup of tea…"

 

 

He couldn't take his eyes off the man who was singing a powerful but sweet baritone— the lead actor of the musical "The Man Who Laughs" named Kyuhyun. He was completely ensnared by the man's gentle but violent acting. When the sharp gaze swept through the opera hall, Jongwoon felt like his soul was taken in the man's grip and he was at the mercy of his mysterious and crazy smile. His heartbeat climbed up the stairs of excitement in sync with the man's singing. When the last melody was sung and the curtains were drawn, he realized that his life wouldn't be the same anymore.

 

 

He had fallen in love with Kyuhyun.

 

********************************

 

Two months later…

 

 

"Jongjin-ah, can you look after the cafe for me today?"

"Sure. Are you going to watch Kyuhyun-ssi's musical again?"

"Yes! Today is the last day of Frankenstein so I mustn't miss it!"

"Even though you already went to every round? Eh, I wonder who it was, telling me not long ago that he isn't interested in musicals?"

"I know right? What an ignorant guy! Jongjin-ah, if you happen to know this guy, scold him for me!"

 

Jongwoon grinned at his brother's playful laugh and left the cafe. Two months ago, he was that ignorant guy who thought musicals are boring and superficial. However, Kyuhyun completely turned his view (and his world) upside-down with his heavenly-blessed voice and irresistible charisma. Even since that day, he had become a diehard fan of this handsome musical actor and went to every round that Kyuhyun performed. He also bought gifts and wrote a letter to give to the famous man every time after the show.

 

"K-Kyuhyun-ssi, please accept my gift and letter…"

"Thank you so much."

 

Jongwoon's heart jumped to his throat and he choked on it. His hands were shaking as he handed a blue paper bag painted with a cute penguin picture to the taller man. The handsome actor smiled politely and accepted the bag from him. Their fingers brushed for a split second and the electricity zapped all of his strength. He almost collapsed under the man's kind gaze and charming smile. Ah, he really loved Kyuhyun… However… Jongwoon watched the tall actor turn to smile at other fans and his heart shrank into a corner of self-pity. He was just one of Kyuhyun's many fans. Kyuhyun's smile for him wasn't different from other people. Falling in love with a superstar was stupid but he was too late to turn back now. So, Jongwoon could only sigh in his heart and walked away with slumped shoulders, accepting the fact that his love will forever be one-sided.

 

 

Or so he thought.

.

.

.

Jongwoon spat out the coffee he just drank.

 

 

"Wha- cough, cough, what the hell did you just, cough, say? Heebongie?"

"I said, Kyuhyun is looking for a new housekeeper so I recommend you to him."

 

He dropped the mug and yelped when the coffee spilled on his thighs. Luckily, they had been chatting for a while so the beverage's temperature wasn't too hot now. He cursed and tried to clean his pants while the man opposite him laughed evilly. He glared at the beauty, Kim Heechul, his college senior slash best friend who had become very famous in the entertainment circle.

 

"You know that I like Kyuhyun and you still tease me?"

"I didn't. I really mean it. That brat is looking for a new housekeeper so I recommend you."

"How? Since when did you know Kyuhyun? Oh God! You didn't tell him about me, right!!? What if he thought that I'm a sasaeng!!?"

"We're in the same drinking circle but, let's be honest, who wouldn't know Kyuhyun? That brat is everywhere! Anyway, we were drinking a few days ago when that brat told me that the housekeeper ajumma retired after her son got promoted at work so I mentioned you. Don't worry! I never told Kyuhyun about you. I just told him that I know someone who's good at keeping places clean and organized."

"But why me…?"

"Don't you want to get closer to your idol?"

 

Jongwoon bit his lip. Of course, he wanted to know Kyuhyun more and became someone special more than a normal fan. But…

 

"Is this really okay…? I don't know… Heebong…"

"What could happen? If you think it's too much for your heart, you can walk away at any moment. It's not like Kyuhyun will lock you up and keep you to himself forever."

"Hey, stop rubbing salt on my wound. I already know that I'm just one of his fans!"

"Yeah, yeah, so? Are you in or not?"

"Well, it's not hurt to try?"

"Excellent! Pack your stuff and meet me here this Saturday!"

 

He nodded and got up to make a new cup of coffee. Someone once said that you shouldn't meet your idol because, more often than not, your expectations won't be met. But Kyuhyun is such a perfect man. There shouldn't be any problem, right?

 

*************************************

 

Jongwoon pressed the intercom after hesitating for almost ten minutes.

 

"Yes?"

"Um, hello, Kyuhyun-ssi, I'm the new housekeeper sent by Kim Heechul."

"Oh, Kim Jongwoon-ssi, yes, Heechul hyung already told me that you'll come today. Come in."

 

The door was unlocked and Jongwoon braced himself to face his idol face-to-face. He mustered up courage and pulled out the friendliest smile. He wondered what style of clothes Kyuhyun usually wore at home? Probably something casual but classy! He looked up at the opened door and his smile froze. A pale tall man was staring at him while yawning. His messy brown hair pointed in every direction. There were dark circles under his big round eyes and acne scars scattered on his puffed cheeks. The sleepy stranger yawned again and put his hand under the loose and old black t-shirt to scratch his stomach. The baggy grey sweatpants that the man wore seemed like it had seen better days for a decade. The only attractive thing about the stranger was a small mole under his right eye. Jongwoon smiled sheepishly.

 

"I'm sorry but I think I got the wrong address."

"No, you're not. Come in."

 

The stranger who had Kyuhyun's voice grabbed his hand and dragged him into the penthouse. Normally, Jongwoon would have freaked out by now but he was too shocked to react properly.

 

"You're Kyuhyun-ssi…? But…"

"I look different from what you saw in the media, right? It's the power of makeup and proper lighting."

 

Still shocked, he let the taller man drag him to the living room. Kyuhyun(?) let go of his hand and pointed carelessly around them.

 

"Living room, kitchen and dining room, bathroom, my bedroom, yours, office, entertainment room, balcony and pool."

"Uh, yes?"

"I go to bed at dawn and wake up in the afternoon on days off so don't bother me, unless it's an emergency."

"Okay?"

"I'll cook for us, just taking care of the rest of the house as you see fit."

"Um,"

"Here, my spare keycard and black card. Do whatever you want with it."

"Wait—"

"I'm going back to sleep. Feel free to order take out for your lunch. See you during dinner."

"Kyu—"

 

The famous musical actor(?) headed to the inner part of the place, leaving him confused. Jongwoon looked at the key card and credit card in his hand. There was a neat signature "Cho Kyuhyun" at the back of the cards. So, that guy was definitely his idol… He put away his luggage in his room and started cleaning. There were a few soju bottles and takeout containers scattering around the living room. The game collection in the entertainment room needed to be put back on a shelf. The plants on the balcony almost died and needed immediate care. The office was very dusty. The bathroom, thank God, was clean. And the bedroom…

 

Jongwoon looked at a blue boxer with a penguin print at the back with a troubled heart. He found it among a pile of discarded clothes in the master bedroom. He threw it in a basket for laundry and continued to clean the room while listening to Kyuhyun's snores…

 

 

Is this ajusshi really the same Kyuhyun whom he fell in love with?

.

.

.

.

By the time he was done cleaning the entire penthouse, the sun had long set but the house owner still slept soundly. Jongwoon considered ordering takeout for both of them but he didn't know when the man would wake up. So, he decided to make a simple ramyeon for himself. While waiting for water to boil, his mind wandered to the man in the master bedroom. He still couldn't believe that that guy was really Kyuhyun… He knew that his idol might not be the same person who was shining on the stage but he didn't expect this either!! He was still shocked after the image of his idol was completely shattered. He really shouldn't have met his idol…

 

"Jongwoon-ssi!"

 

Well, Kyuhyun's voice was still a gem despite everything and he didn't mind listening to it forever…

 

"Jongwoon-ssi! The pot is burning!"

"What…? Oh my God the water!!!"

 

While he was spacing out, the water had already boiled and evaporated, and the pot was burning. Panicked, Jongwoon reached out to take the pot instead of turning off the stove and burned his fingers. He yelped and snapped his hand away from the hot pot. By now, black smoke started coming out from under the pot but before the fire spread, Kyuhyun quickly turned off the stove and picked up the pot with an oven mitt, before throwing it in a sink under running water.

 

"Phew, that was close! Jongwoon-ssi, how is the burn? Let me see it."

"I'm fine! I'm really sorry for almost burning down your kitchen…"

"It's fine. Your safety is the most important thing."

 

While Kyuhyun was inspecting his injured fingers, Jongwoon secretly observed the man. The musical actor probably just woke up and ran here after smelling the smoke. His bed head still stayed the same and a drool stain painted the corner of his lips. His look really resembled a tired uncle more than a superstar. However, Kyuhyun's voice and touch were very gentle. The pale man held his hand under the running tap and applied burn ointment for him. Then, Kyuhyun whipped up two servings of kimchi fried rice and seaweed soup with egg rolls. When he had a hard time eating with a non-dominant hand, Kyuhyun even offered to feed him but he turned it down. During the meal, Jongwoon kept glancing at the man opposite him, still confused by the image he had in his head versus what he really witnessed.

 

"Are you still being weird out by how vastly different I look from when I'm on a stage?"

"Was I that obvious…?"

"Yes, you kept looking at me while frowning!"

"I'm sorry… It's just… very unexpected?"

"You're not the first person who said that to me. Even Heechul hyung once said that too! But, Jongwoon-ssi, does it really bother you that my real self doesn't match what you have in mind? Why?"

 

 

Because you're my idol. 

 

 

Jongwoon didn't say it out loud and the musical actor didn't pry. Instead, Kyuhyun changed the topic.

 

"You said that you're friends with Heechul hyung, right?"

"He's actually my senior but we're best friends."

"Then, you do know that Heechul hyung always acts like a mad man in front of a camera, right?"

"I do but Heebongie isn't like that in real life. He's actually very serious and mature."

"How come you easily accept that Heechul hyung has a work persona but not me?"

 

Jongwoon didn't say anything. Kyuhyun was reasonable and he couldn't find any rebuttal for that. Seeing that he wouldn't answer, the actor sighed.

 

"I'm sorry for not meeting your expectations but I'll never apologize for who I am."

"That's reasonable."

"Jongwoon-ssi, I sincerely hope that you'll come to accept the real me. After all, we're going to live together in the future."

"L-Living together!!?"

"Yes. You're my housekeeper, aren't you?"

 

Kyuhyun and winked. The musical actor looked disheveled. The dark circles under his eyes seemed better after sleep but those round eyes still looked hollowed. There was a single grain of rice sticking near his lips. Apart from the cute mole and his velvety voice, the person in front of him wasn't attractive at all.

 

 

Despite that, his heart still skipped a beat.

 

*************************************

 

Before long, Jongwoon had become Kyuhyun's housekeeper for a month now. At first, it was really hard to accept the truth that his idol wasn't as perfect as he thought. Instead of Prince Charming, the musical actor was more like an easy-going neighbor ajusshi. His appearance wasn't flawless and his behavior was crude at times. However, Kyuhyun was very kind and down-to-earth. He never regretted seizing this chance to get to know Kyuhyun more. Every second that they spent together was one of the best moments in his life. He no longer revered Kyuhyun as an idol but genuinely respected him as an individual. He used to be awkward around the man and couldn't even initiate a conversation. Now, however, he could joke back and have a long conversation with Kyuhyun with ease. He wasn't the only one who was happy with this development. Kyuhyun seemed to appreciate not being put on a pedestal too. In conclusion, they had gotten a lot closer, even more than he could ever imagine.

 

 

Although it brought another problem for him…

.

.

.

.

"Jongwoon, I'm home."

"Welcome back, Kyuhyun!"

 

 

Jongwoon took a black overcoat and backpack from the taller man. The musical actor just came back from a rehearsal for his upcoming show "Phantom of the Opera" with his hair and makeup intact. His dark brown hair was combed up to reveal his forehead. The black eyeliner helped sharpen his gaze. The acne scars were neatly concealed. His chiseled nose and jawline were highlighted. His full lips were glossed by a pale pink tinge. Kyuhyun looked exactly like the day when he first saw the actor on a stage, extremely good-looking. However, Jongwoon's heart barely reacted to the handsome guy before him. Kyuhyun who kept a close eye on his reaction tilted his head and pouted.

 

"You're no fun, Jongwoon."

"Huh? What do you mean?"

"Just a few weeks ago, you were all flustered and stammering whenever I dressed up like this. But you barely look at me now."

"Yeah, my immunity has increased. In fact, I began to see you more as a friend than a famous actor now."

Kyuhyun frowned, "friends?"

"Uh-huh, good friends!"

"Sorry Jongwoon, but," Kyuhyun faked a dramatic sigh, "I don't want to befriend a guy who almost burned my place down."

"Yah! Just how many times are you going to bring it up!!?"

 

Jongwoon cursed and raised his hand up to hit the teasing actor, but Kyuhyun caught his hand first. The taller man grinned and intertwined their hands.

 

"Remove my makeup for me~"

"Again? I'm your housekeeper, not a personal makeup artist or manager."

"But your cute small hands are really gentle."

 

The larger thumb rubbed his. The shining brown eyes met his own. The full lips curved upward into a smile.

 

"I like them."

"Your charm no longer works on me, Kyuhyun."

 

He complained but still did as the man wanted. He carefully wiped off the makeup while observing the musical actor— the acne scars appearing, the slight dark circles showing up, the full lips looking dry beneath a lip gloss. The flawless superstar was no more, only an ordinary man sitting before him. Yet…

 

"Jongwoon?"

"!!?"

 

Thinking that he was done, Kyuhyun opened his eyes and beamed. An alarm sounded in his head and Jongwoon abruptly stood up amidst the other man's puzzlement.

 

"I-I want to get some rest so don't bother me!!"

"Jongwoon? Wait, Jongwoon!"

 

Ignoring the deep alluring calling, Jongwoon ran to his room and shut the door. With his back against the door, he slowly slid down to the floor while clutching his shirt. His heart was pounding so loud under his fists, so loud that he was worried that the man in the living room might overhear it. The image of Kyuhyun's bare-faced smile flashed past his mind and his cheeks heated up drastically.

 

 

He was no longer in love with the famous musical actor Kyuhyun.

 

 

Instead, he had fallen head over heels with an ordinary guy named Cho Kyuhyun.

 

*************************

 

After repeatedly checking in a mirror that he had stopped blushing, Jongwoon stepped out of his sanctuary to find out that his crush was taking a bath. He sighed in relief. He always appreciated more time to prepare his heart. He decided to watch some variety shows to kill time waiting for the house owner to make dinner. While he was watching one of Kyuhyun's shows and secretly squealing, the actor's phone rang. At first, he planned to let it ring but changed his mind after he saw the caller's name on the screen— Kim Heechul. He answered the call.

 

"H—"

"Yo! How are you and your genius plan? Did you successfully make Jongwoon yours? Aish! I still can't believe that the great Cho Kyuhyun fell in love with his fan and even asked me for help! It's even more unbelievable that your cute fan is actually my little best friend! I was like, holy-mother-ing-cow I know that guy!! Remember? Man, what a small world! And what a generous employer you are! Who would believe me that you sponsored your housekeeper ajumma for a month-long vacation in Jeju?? All for a chance to get closer to Jongwoon and get him to like the real you? Personally, that sounds like a mission impossible to me, seeing how deep in his illusion Jongwoon is. But you won't give up on him no matter what, right? Kiddo?"

"..."

"Silence, eh? I know that you're doing that infuriating smug smile right now! Don't tell me that you actually succeed? Wow! Congrats! Will you go through with your dream wedding plan at Jeju that you once —"

"Heebongie, it's me."

 

 

Eerie silence.

 

 

"Heebongie?"

"My bad, I got the wrong number. Beep."

 

 

The call ended just like that. Jongwoon put the phone down while his head was reeling. Kyuhyun knew from the beginning that he was a fan and planned everything? Why? For his own sadistic satisfaction? No. He might have known Kyuhyun, the real Cho Kyuhyun, for only a month but he knew that the famous musical actor was a thoroughly good person. Then, if it wasn't a twisted prank, could it be that…?

 

"Kyuhyun actually remembers me and falls in love with me too…?"

 

He murmured in disbelief while trying to recall every minute detail of their meetings. Kyuhyun treated him normally, similar to his other fans. However, whenever he gave a letter to Kyuhyun, the man's fingers always brushed against his and lingered for a second. He thought that it was the actor's habit but could it be that… Heat quickly spread over his face once he realized that, during their cohabitation, Kyuhyun always found excuses to hold his hand and it could potentially mean his feelings were reciprocated. Falling for a superstar wasn't a smart thing to do and their future could be rocky. However, he would regret it more if he didn't try to at least fight for it.

 

 

First thing first, he needed to confirm that Kyuhyun did love him too!

.

.

.

.

Kyuhyun came out of the bath without drying his hair because he'll ask Jongwoon to do it for him— his scheme to watch Jongwoon closely without coming across as a creep. He had a crush on this cute fan for about two months now. At first, he was surprised to find a devout male fan but the black-haired man was just another fan to him. It was only when he read those heartfelt letters that he started to notice this little fan who religiously visited his shows. He soon noticed how those dark eyes widened and lit up when seeing him. Noticed how the adorable small hands shook slightly when handing a gift to him. Noticed how the chubby cheeks gradually turned pink when their eyes met. Noticed how he liked to bite his lip when he was nervous…

 

 

I want to kiss him.

 

 

As soon as the dirty thoughts entered his mind, Kyuhyun began to look for clues for the cute fan's identity, and he found out immediately. Included in every gift was a tasty pastry from a cafe named Mobit. He only had to search for the place's Instagram to find his angel— Kim Jongwoon. As a hopelessly romantic man, he dreamed of a surprise meeting which led to them falling in love just like in the drama and visited the cafe in person.

 

 

But Jongwoon didn't recognize him.

 

 

He didn't do his hair nor put on makeup. He wore casual clothes that he wore at home and a mask. He didn't expect Jongwoon to look at him, the real him, as if they had never met before. He was hurt and disappointed but he still stayed at the cafe all day, waiting and hoping, but had to leave later when the man barely looked his way. Feeling betrayed, he wanted to give up on this love but his resolve wavered every time he saw Jongwoon's smile. But he didn't want Jongwoon's reverence, he wanted Jongwoon to want him for who he really was.

 

One day, he ranted about his one-sided crush on his fan to his senior while drinking and, as cliche as it sounded, found out that they were college friends. It then clicked to him. How can Jongwoon love the real him if they don't know each other? So, he came up with the new housekeeper plan and bribed Heechul hyung to trick Jongwoon into this plan. It was very effective. He could tell from Jongwoon's gaze and their conversation that the man viewed him less as an idol and more as a person each passing day. They had gotten a lot closer in the short time they spent together.

 

 

He only had to find a way to stop Jongwoon from running away whenever he saw his face…

 

 

Kyuhyun pouted. He knew that his acne scars weren't a pleasing sight but running away was too much! He will definitely punish Jongwoon for this once they become official. Grinning, he strode to the living room where the black-haired man was watching a movie, ready to ask Jongwoon to dry his hair for him.

 

"Jongwoon~ Dry my hair for me please~"

"Sure. But you have to answer my question first."

"Yes?"

"You actually know who I am, right?"

 

He accidentally bit his tongue and teared up a bit. Jongwoon giggled and patted his head, but the man was still waiting for the answer judging from his gaze. He nervously probed.

 

"What do you mean…? Of course, I know that you're Heechul hyung's friend."

"Heebongie just called and spilled everything, thinking that I'm you."

"Aish, that old man!"

 

Kyuhyun groaned and slapped his forehead. He hurriedly seized the small hand and begged for forgiveness.

 

"Jongwoon….I didn't mean to deceive you or make fun of you, please believe me. I love you! The truth is, I remember you and your sincere letters make me fall for you. I want you to want me, the real me, not the famous musical actor, that's why…"

"It's okay. I have something to confess to you too. Actually, I have already fallen in love with someone else!"

"What…?" Kyuhyun's heart dropped, "but I thought you're my biggest fan…?"

"Not anymore! I've become a fan of this guy~ I have his pictures if you want to see~"

 

Jongwoon hummed while tapping around on his phone. Next, a notification sound rang up so he checked his phone. The smaller man had sent pictures to him. Although he was feeling bitter, Kyuhyun still clicked to see the pictures, only to find out that they were all his pictures— sleeping while drooling, dropping a piece of tteokbokki and staining his t-shirt, pulling his hair in frustration while playing games, standing in front of the stove wearing a pink apron, falling asleep on the couch while hugging a penguin plushie, floating like a starfish in the pool, etc. He looked up in surprise and met a pair of happy eyes. His mouth opened and closed, trying to ask if he was dreaming, but only a weird noise came out. Then, his lips were sealed by something soft and warm that made his heart flip like a rollercoaster. After a few minutes, the sweet sensation disappeared and Kyuhyun watched the shorter man's bashful smile in daze.

 

"I love you too, Kyuhyun. I love you who drool and snore in sleep. I love you who scream when you see a cockroach. I love you who curse like no tomorrow when you lose a game. I love your acne scars, your mole, your dark circles, your messy bed-head, your little round tummy, really, Kyuhyun, I just love the ordinary you!"

 

Jongwoon said and kissed him again. But this time, Kyuhyun didn't let his heart go and held him tight while deepening the kiss. Pulling away, he hugged his (now) boyfriend to his chest and rained countless kisses on his face amidst the black-haired man's joyful giggle.

 

"Jongwoon?"

"Pfft, I'm just thinking of what they say, never meet your idol, and how I agree with it!"

"Eh~ Why? Do you regret meeting me?"

"No, it's the opposite."

 

Jongwoon smiled and traced his thumb around the black mole on the pale skin.

 

"Because I doubt I can ever look away from you, Kyuhyun, now that I got to know the real you."

"Then just don't. Only look at me…"

 

Kyuhyun smiled back and tasted the luscious lips again and again until only their heartbeats echoed within the room, deafening everything else including the notification of an incoming message from his phone…

 

 

 

You two owe me big time, kiddos 😏