Heartbeat

Daily KyuSung Fics As Promised

It was supposed to be just another mundane day for Yesung. The night before, he watched a movie and sent a goodnight message to ELF in Bubble as usual before going to bed. He didn't do anything out of ordinary and he woke up feeling perfectly normal, no headache, no fatigue, nothing.

 

 

Then, how come he saw strange things floating above people's heads?

 

 

Yesung rubbed his eyes and blinked several times, but he still saw a blue heart and a number 100% floating above Jongjin's head. He pinched his arm but the two strange symbols were still there. He brushed off his little brother's concerned question and headed to the kitchen where his parents were waiting for them. There, a white heart and a number 100% were floating above his appa's and eomma's heads. He started to doubt his eyes but tried to ignore it. After breakfast, he drove to Cafe Armoire to help out since he had time before the group meeting. On his way, every person he saw had a heart and a number floating above their heads too, just in the different colors and percentages. He started to question his sanity as he arrived at the cafe. Has he gone mad because he worked too hard lately? Yesung wondered to himself as he took pictures with fans who came to see him. He noticed that the fans' hearts above their heads were either pink or orange or green.

 

 

Could it be that the heart color and percentage represented a level of affection?

 

 

Yesung came up with a hypothesis as he stepped into the meeting room with a cup of coffee in his hand. As usual, he was the first to arrive. He greeted the staff while quietly observing their hearts and numbers. Those who he was close to had either a blue or green heart while those he wasn't familiar with had a purple heart. He kept pondering about his theory until the members started to arrive one by one. He glanced up from the coffee cup and greeted them. As he suspected, the members had a blue heart and a 100% number floating above their heads. Teuk hyung was the only exception because his heart color was white. With all the evidence at hand, he finally came up with the perfect explanation for the colors of the heart.

 

 

White = Parental love

Blue = Friendship / sibling love

Purple = Stranger

Green = Respect / admiration

Orange = Like

Pink = Crush

 

 

Yes, it couldn't be anything but a gauge of affection level that each person had for him. That's why only his parents and Teuk hyung had a white heart because they cared about him dearly. That's why Jongjin and the members had a blue heart because they shared an unbreakable bond. Then, by this logic, a red heart, the only color he hadn't seen yet, could only mean "love". Yesung thinned his lips. Kyuhyun had yet to arrive due to his personal schedule so he had no idea about the maknae's heart color, though he suspected it to be blue just like the other members because they were like siblings.

 

 

Even though he had been in love with Kyuhyun for many years.

 

 

Yesung was quick to notice the way his heart skipped a beat at the sly maknae's smirk, cute aegyo, and warm hugs, and realized in no time that he didn't want to be just a hyung for Kyuhyun. He had fallen in love with Kyuhyun. However, he hid his feelings really well that no one knew about his hopeless one-sided love (except Shindong who had a strong hunch but still lacked evidence). He loved Super Junior as much as he loved Kyuhyun and he didn't want to ruin their team's harmony, so he put up a hyung mask all the time when he was around Kyuhyun. The maknae was obviously fond of him but so was the rest of the group, so he probably thought of him as a hyung only. Yesung suddenly felt down. Due to the newfound ability, he was about to face the harsh reality and see a blue heart above Kyuhyun's head…

 

 

"Ooooh, Ye!"

 

 

Here comes the maknae. Yesung took a quick deep breath and looked up at their youngest while still drinking from a straw, ready to accept that Kyuhyun only liked him as a hyung. He looked at the heart and number above the taller man's head. As expected, it was a blue —

 

 

Yesung spat the iced Americano on the maknae's black shirt.

 

 

"Yah! Yesung hyung, what are you doing!!?"

".........."

 

He didn't say anything, too shocked to utter a word as his eyes stared at the two symbols floating above his crush's head.

 

 

A vivid red heart and a percentage greater than 100%, the highest that he had seen so far.

 

 

Shifting his gaze to the right, Yesung dumbly counted the amount of zero attached behind the younger man's percentage: eight.. eleven… fifteen… He couldn't even tell how much is fifteen zero. Billion? Trillion? He didn't know, just that, it was a lot. If the heart color and percentage really represented the person's feelings for him, t-then, did Kyuhyun love him…? He rubbed his eyes and looked at the two symbols again but it was still a red heart and a large number above the maknae's head that he saw…

 

"You're the worst hyung in the 21st century, Yesung hyung! You ruined my shirt but not even a single apology?"

"Huh? Oh, right, I'm sorry, Kyuhyun-ah…"

 

At his weak reply, Kyuhyun stopped pouting and looked at him with a concerned gaze instead. The maknae gently brushed a thumb under his eye.

 

"Hyung, how many hours of sleep did you get last night? Did you have another insomnia?"

"No, just feeling a bit under the weather. Thank you for worrying about me though."

 

Yesung smiled and leaned into the large palm. He really loved it when Kyuhyun touched him. While nuzzling against the maknae's warm touch, he glanced up at the space above the younger man's head and almost bit his tongue in shock. The number was increasing at an insane speed and the red heart… suddenly grew a limb…? The red heart now had two hands and it was waving a banner in each hand— "Yesung hyung!" and "My Angel!". However, the maknae's expression was so neutral that, without the heart gauge, he wouldn't be able to tell what the younger was thinking. Kyuhyun couldn't have possibly loved him too, right? Yesung wondered again due to the stark contrast between the maknae's inner thoughts and outer appearance. Yes. Impossible. If Kyuhyun loved him too, the maknae would definitely confess to him already, knowing the man's tendency to be direct.

 

 

So, he extinguished the tiny flame of hope by his own hand and continued to live as a good hyung.

 

***************************

 

Or so he thought.

 

 

Yesung's resolve wavered again after he noticed that Kyuhyun's heart gauge reacted to his every action, very strongly, might he add.

.

.

.

"Kyuhyun-ah, you've been very busy lately. How are you?"

"Just a bit tired but I'll be fine."

"Mm, you should take it easy sometimes."

"I know. Thanks, hyung."

 

 

Yesung tilted his head and glanced up at the maknae's heart gauge. The number had increased by almost a hundred thousand points. The red heart was now rolling on an imaginary floor while covering its face in its hands. Getting curious, he touched the younger man's philtrum and smiled.

 

 

The red heart jerked once and stopped moving completely while still lying on the imaginary floor.

.

.

.

"Kyu… I'm tired. Can I use your lap as a pillow?"

"Sure. Just don't drool on my pants."

 

 

Yesung lay down on the floor and put his head on the maknae's lap. Kyuhyun rolled his eyes and sighed loudly, before resuming playing a game on his phone. He glanced up above the man's head and his heart started to pound. The number had increased by at least a million points in a short time. Meanwhile, the red heart was running in circles as if it had gone mad. He wanted to test something so he turned to lie on his side and nuzzled against the maknae's squishy tummy. Suddenly, Kyuhyun pushed him away and ran out of the practice room hurriedly. Yesung was able to catch a glimpse of the younger man's reddened ears and his heart gauge before he left.

 

 

The red heart inflated and erupted like a volcano.

.

.

.

"Kkuru, let's take a selca together!"

"You know that I hate it, right hyung?"

"I know but…"

 

 

Yesung pouted but gave up. He didn't want to force Kyuhyun to do things he didn't like. He decided to just take photos by himself and began to pose in front of a wall mirror— cute, y, cool, dorky, and even a funny one. He had so much fun that he kinda forgot about the person standing behind him. While he was posing, he accidentally saw the maknae through the mirror. Kyuhyun was watching him quietly with a phone in his hand.

 

"Kkuru? Did you take my photos?"

"Nope. Why would I?"

 

To find out the truth, Yesung checked the heart gauge of the man in front of him. A laughter and a blush threatened to escape him after he saw it. Kyuhyun's heart gauge number was increasing so insanely fast that he felt dizzy trying to look at the moving number. Plus, the red heart was also holding a camera and clicked the shutter at the speed of light while aiming the lens at him. He had a hard time trying to hide his flustered smile and realized that he was about to blush like a fool. So, he distracted himself by taking a picture of the maknae and catching the younger off guard. He looked at the picture and admitted sincerely to Kyuhyun.

 

"You look really cool today, Kyuhyun-ah."

 

 

The red heart dropped the imaginary camera and fell back on an imaginary floor mid-standing.

.

.

.

"Hyukjae-ah, what is in the box?"

"Strawberry! Hyung wanna eat it together?"

 

 

Yesung wanted to discuss their upcoming KRY album plan so he dropped by the dorm for a casual meeting. However, Kyuhyun had yet to come back and Ryeowook was still at work so he spent time with Hyukjae instead. When the younger brought a strawberry box out of the fridge, he nodded eagerly and accepted the red fruit that Hyukjae fed him. He chewed it and moaned at the sweetness exploding in his mouth. He quickly asked for another and the younger man fed more to him. While they were eating, Kyuhyun happened to come back and saw Hyukjae feeding him the strawberries. The maknae frowned.

 

"Hyungs, you two look like a fat squirrel."

"Bleh, don't let me see you steal my strawberries!"

 

While the two roommates were bickering, Yesung stared at the heart gauge above their youngest's head and felt strangely entertained. The number completely stopped moving and shook slightly. The red heart was even funnier. It was holding a knife and, despite not having any eyes, he could feel its piercing gaze directed at Hyukjae. Is Kyuhyun jealous of Hyukjae for feeding him strawberries? Curiosity took over him and he dared to act bolder.

 

"Kyuhyun-ah, here, say ahh!"

"What? No, Yesung hyung, I didn't want —"

 

Yesung felt giddy all over. He held a strawberry between his teeth and offered the other half to the maknae, and Kyuhyun had completely stopped functioning. The number above the taller man's head had increased by at least ten million points. And the red heart…

 

 

The red heart stabbed itself with the knife.

.

.

.

"Please go and hug the person you choose!"

 

 

Yesung nodded at Kwanghee and looked back and forth between the two maknaes. While Ryeowook was completely calm (both Ryeowook himself and his blue heart gauge), Kyuhyun, on the other hand, literally and figuratively couldn't sit still. The evilest maknae kept shaking his legs and his body swayed nervously. If they weren't in the middle of recording right now, he would have laughed already. Kyuhyun's heart gauge… The red heart was holding and waving a huge banner— Please Choose Me!!!— to get his attention. Yesung snorted. After observing the maknae's heart gauge for a few months, he was quite confident now that Kyuhyun also loved him even though he maintained a poker face all the time. For that reason , he wanted to take a risk and prompted the younger man to finally reveal his hidden feelings to him.

 

So, he hugged and squeezed Kyuhyun from behind, before kissing his pale neck.

 

Yesung drew back and almost failed to hold back a happy grin seeing Kyuhyun's ears turn red. The number above the flustered man's head had increased so much that it gained another two zeros at the end, making the maknae's heart gauge seventeen zeros in total. Although he didn't understand why Kyuhyun would be this happy with just a kiss on the neck, he was overjoyed nonetheless that his feelings were returned. Yes, he believed wholeheartedly now that the maknae loved him after looking at the heart gauge.

 

 

Several red hearts were running around in panic among stuff on fire, just like that one SpongeBob meme.

.

.

.

After finding out that there was a very high chance of his crush liking him back, Yesung stuck to Kyuhyun's side all the time and pulled all the seducing moves he could think of. He acted cute and seductive. He hugged and touched the younger whenever he had a chance. He always pouted or his lips every time they talked, knowing that Kyuhyun stared at his lips. When they miraculously had free time, he visited the dorm and rolled around on the maknae's bed. He also stole the younger man's shirt before going home and put it on later, then taking a selca and sending it to Kyuhyun. He could tell that the maknae's indifferent mask started to crumble, judging from the way Kyuhyun was reluctant to let him go when they hugged. Sometimes, he debated just confessing to his crush but changed his mind. He believed that the maknae also loved him but he didn't want to make the first move, giving himself a leeway in case everything was his foolish daydream. Luckily, it didn't come down to that and it took him being flirtatious for only two weeks for Kyuhyun to finally make a move.

 

 

"Yesung hyung, let's talk."

 

*********************************

 

"Is everything alright? Kyuhyun-ah?"

"Hyung, I, um, I-I,"

 

 

Yesung bit the inside of his cheeks so hard that they almost bled, trying to stop himself from grinning like a fool. He had known the maknae for more than a decade and the younger was rarely this nervous. He knew that Kyuhyun planned to confess to him. How? Because the man's heart gauge told it all! He glanced up and smiled at the red heart that was pacing in circles while holding an imaginary red rose bouquet. The red heart turned to see him and made to give him the bouquet, but it quickly drew back in the next second. It stared hard at the red roses and at him, at the red roses and at him, before resuming pacing around. At the same time, the maknae's heart gauge number also increased steadily but at a slow pace, probably because of his nervousness. After a long while, Kyuhyun faked a cough and spoke up.

 

"Yesung hyung…?"

"Yes?"

 

Kyuhyun blushed and the red heart the red rose bouquet toward him.

 

"I've always loved you! As in, I want to take care of you and make you happy! Whenever I look at you, hyung, my heart can't stay still and my hands itch to touch you, to pull you closer so I can see the beautiful stars in your eyes. I love every moment that I spend with you. I love even the moment that we're not together because I can't stop thinking about you. I love everything about you. I love even the things about you that you hate. Well, the only thing about hyung that I don't like is the fact that I can't call you mine. B-But that's okay! I'll be fine even if hyung wants us to stay as hyung and dongsaeng! I swear upon my name that I won't let my feelings get in the way of—"

"Kyuhyun-ah, I love you too."

 

Yesung stopped the maknae's rambling and confessed his feelings too. However, Kyuhyun kept blinking like a confused penguin so he had to wake up the younger man. He wrapped his arms around the maknae's torso and looked up to meet the taller man's eyes.

 

"I love you too, Kyuhyun, only you."

 

Kyuhyun's brown eyes gradually widened in surprise and joy. He would have gotten lost in them but the two symbols above the maknae's head stole all of his attention. The heart gauge number… It was decreasing and losing zeros one by one… Yesung counted. Seventeen… Thirteen… Six… Three… One…

 

 

The number became an infinity (∞) symbol.

 

 

"Really…? Hyung, you really love me too!!?"

"Yes! I really really love you!"

 

Yesung gasped when the maknae suddenly picked him up by the waist and spun around. He laughed heartily and hugged the man's shoulders to find a foothold in this merry-go-round of happiness. His head felt so light, not because of the spinning hug but the suffocating hidden feelings that he finally let go. He didn't have to hide anymore. They didn't have to hide anymore. He still had no idea how he got this ability but he was grateful nonetheless, for it helped give him a push that they needed to get together. He hugged the maknae tighter and kissed his forehead.

 

 

Thank you, the heart gauge, for everything.

 

 

After a while, they started to feel dizzy and Kyuhyun put him down to return a kiss on his forehead. Yesung pressed his body against the maknae, his boyfriend, and smiled after feeling a loud drumming against his chest.

 

"Kyuhyun, your heartbeat is really loud…"

"Hmm, so is yours… hyung…"

 

Kyuhyun cupped his face and his gaze fell to his lips. Love and desire were burning vividly in the maknae's eyes. Yesung secretly glanced up and snorted.

 

"I do!"

"What? Hyung, I didn't say anything—"

 

He ignored the unfinished question and kissed the younger. Kyuhyun quickly recovered from the initial surprise and took back the reins. The maknae then almost completely robbed his breath with a ravenous kiss and a strong hold at his nape and on his waist. Yesung smiled in his heart during the kiss as he recalled the state of his boyfriend's heart gauge that he saw just now…

 

 

The red heart in a classy black suit was holding a ring while standing in an imaginary church.