Chapter 37

A Place in My Heart

Charmaine swung the door open and found Ron looking at her, his face creased with worry. Without a word she stepped away from the door as he followed her into her apartment. “What’s up?” she asked, trying to sound normal.

Ron sat down next to her, “I saw them together and I know you did too.”

Charmaine picked up her mug from the coffee table and took a sip of her water, “I did,” she said simply.

Ron took the mug out of her hand and re-set it. Looking at her he angrily asked, “Why are you sitting here doing nothing about it?”

Exasperated she asked, “What do you want me to do?”

Ron got up and started pacing the floor. He stopped and said, “For starters, go find him and don’t give them any opportunities to be alone. Don’t let them reunite.”

“I won’t do that,” Charmaine said. “I don’t want to pressure him.”

Ron looked at her with amazement, “So that’s it? You’re going to let them be together?”

Charmaine shook her head sadly, “I only want him to be happy and if that means being with Linda, then I’ll be happy for them.”

Ron stared at her and shouted, “If that’s what you’re really feeling then why the heck do you look so miserable?!”

Charmaine’s resolve broke as her tears began to flow freely, “You still don’t get it don’t you?” She stood in front of him and with her voice breaking, said, “It had always been Linda for him. I can never replace her in his heart. I was just around for him when he needed someone and now that she’s back, that all changed.”

Ron grabbed her shoulders and shook her lightly. Forcefully he said, “If you believe that then you really don’t know him at all.” Softening his voice, he continued, “I know Raymond better than anyone else and I can guarantee that he only loves you. Go and talk to him.”

“I wish I could believe that but I don’t,” Charmaine said as she broke free from Ron.

“I bet he has already told Linda that he’s with you now and all your worries are for nothing,” Ron declared. “When he gets back he’ll probably tell you that’s what he did.” With a confident smile, Ron patted her arm, “I’m sure of it.”

Charmaine on the other hand was doubtful of it. Still for Ron’s sake, she mustered a smile. “It’s getting late and we both have work tomorrow.”

Ron glanced at his watch, “I’ll talk to you tomorrow.” When Charmaine nodded in agreement, he walked to the door. He was stepping out just as Raymond came up. Seeing Raymond, Ron urgently hissed, “Where have you been all night? Charmaine had been waiting for you.”

Raymond looked past Ron into the apartment and saw Charmaine looking at him with a bleak expression. He noted her puffy eyes and knew she had been crying. Without removing his eyes from her, he said to Ron, “I need to talk to Charmaine.”

“Sure,” Ron said and as he walked past Raymond, he whispered, “She thinks that you still love Linda. Convince her that she’s wrong.” Raymond had the audacity to flush with shame and Ron saw it. He narrowed his eyes at Raymond with disbelief then muttered an oath and stalked away.

Raymond walked slowly into Charmaine’s apartment and gave her a slight smile, “Sorry I came back so late.”

Shaking her head with indifference, Charmaine turned away from him, “There’s no need to explain yourself to me.”

Raymond’s hand shot out to grab her hand. He stared down at her and saw the uncertainty in her eyes. Caressing her hand, he softly said, “I couldn’t leave Linda alone like that. You saw how depressed she was. You’re the one I want to be with, you have to believe me.”

Unmoving, Charmaine stared back at him, her eyes searching as she said, “Can you answer one question for me?”

Raymond nodded, his hand tightened on hers.

Holding his gaze, Charmaine quietly asked, “Did you tell her about us?”

Raymond couldn’t meet her eyes, he quickly averted his face and stammered, “I-I tried to but she was very upset and she kept repeating that she wanted to resume our relationship. I didn’t know how to break the news to her.”

“Look at me,” Charmaine demanded and when he did, she saw the betrayal on his face. With tears threatening to spill again, Charmaine quickly blinked it back. Taking a deep shuddering breath, she looked at him directly and said with finality, “We’re over.”

“No,” Raymond breathed out, his head shaking in denial, “I’m not going to let you go.” He wrapped his arms around her and held tightly onto her.

Charmaine struggled to free herself from his arms, “Let go of me,” she angrily said but he wouldn’t relent. Sickened by what has unfolded between them, Charmaine made one last effort to free herself. Using all her strength she pushed at him real hard.

Raymond staggered backwards stunned by the brutal force she used on him.

Charmaine left him standing in the center of her living room as she went to open the front door. With her hand on the door, she said, “I have work tomorrow. Can you please leave?”

Raymond approached her but didn’t leave. He stopped to look at her. In an agonized voice, he begged, “Please don’t do this. Why can’t you believe that I love only you?”

Calmly Charmaine lifted her eyes to his and accused, “Because your face has already betrayed your feelings.”

Ashamed, Raymond lowered his head and softly confessed, “I admit that I still have feelings for Linda but that doesn’t mean that I don’t love you.” He brought his head up to look at her and painfully said, “I’m confused right now. Linda, she… I- I … Can’t you just give me some time to straighten out my feelings?”

Charmaine stared at him in shock, each word he spoke was like a stab to her heart. With tears clouding her vision, she hoarsely said, “I can’t believe you would even suggest that to me. If I was the one you truly loved, you wouldn’t have any lingering feelings for someone else.”

Raymond felt his own tears stream down his face. He made one last plead, “Charmaine, don’t do this.”

“Goodbye,” she said then nudged him out the door and softly closed the door behind him.