Tasteless Porridge

Tasteless Porridge
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eunji has seen most forms of devastation. She’s seen a well respected leader succumb to greed and lose himself. She’s seen brothers who swore loyalty betray each other. She’s seen people just slit each other’s throat like it was another day at the park. Being alive since the beginning of time has its perks– the ups and downs as humans would call it.

 

As the first born of the queen of demons, Eunji has had her fair share of sin. Her favorite? Corrupting those who swore undying faith and loyalty to the big bastard who sits in heaven, looking down on precious humans. Of course, she also had a few tastes of fine men here and there. But where’s the fun in limiting herself? For eons, she has been roaming around the world, causing havoc, war, famine, it depends on her mood.

 

But things these days have been slow. Humans have discovered technology and it’s been messing up her ways of getting people. The last human she had her eye on eventually got married. Really, who finds true love from dating apps? Eunji thinks it’s stupid.

 

Bored to death, she settles herself in front of an abandoned church. It looks more like a cult house than a church if she was being honest. Eunji plays with her daggers, twirling it between her fingers. She has yet to eat a soul in ten years. The quality of souls these days have declined so much. Nothing tastes pure anymore and for Eunji? A pure soul is the best delicacy there is.

 

It is nearly dusk when she notices a girl enter the abandoned church. With darkness almost enveloping the city, it was difficult for even the moon to give bare minimum light. Eunji stares, realizing what the girl is wearing. A white robe but without a veil! Her blood starts singing as she finds a soul worthy of devouring. Eunji grins, excited about her new meal. She sees the girl kneel in front of the almost broken but still intact crucifix. The sight makes her gag.

 

Who still prays nowadays?

 

In a snap, she’s behind the girl that was on her knees.

 

What a sight.

 

Eunji would love to see the girl on her knees but in a different setting. She smiles again, excitement still present in her veins. The catch about her kind is very simple. First, they corrupt the soul. Not just a simple corruption of taking someone’s life. It was more complex than that. For Eunji to corrupt a soul to be devoured, she must first taste her. Have her in bed, scream her name, beg for her until her voice becomes hoarse.

 

But that doesn’t bother her. If there is one thing Eunji was very sure of, it’s her ability to seduce humans who have sworn a lifetime of faith only to be corrupted. There’s a certain sensation whenever a human would scream her name rather than God’s.



 

“This isn’t a place for praying, Miss,” she says. The woman turns to her, unfazed by her sudden presence. For a moment, Eunji doubts if the woman is really human or an angel in disguise, out to get her. It wouldn’t be the first time she’d battle an angel but she really isn’t in the mood to puncture someone using her beloved daggers.

 

The woman gives her a courteous bow, something that irritates her for some reason, “Good day. This is the only church available. My apologies. I shall take my leave now.”

 

Before the woman could take a step away from her, Eunji grabs her wrist, “You’re not going anywhere.”

 

Again, the woman looks at her with disinterest, “Do you need anything?”

 

She gives out her most alluring smile, “Have fun with me tonight, darling.” To her surprise, the woman smiles back but shakes her head.

 

“I’m sorry, I have other important matters to attend to. Good day,” without another look, the woman leaves. Eunji feels her blood boil, causing a minor breakage around the old church. She turns to the crucifix and raises her middle finger, “I’ll get one of your puny believers again soon.”

 

~

 

Eunji spends four whole days watching the woman she met at the church. It was a pretty boring life to have. Every morning, the woman– Chorong, as people call her, prepares tea for the older nuns. She cooks lunch for the abandoned kids. In the afternoon, she sweeps the area around the orphanage. And before the clock struck five, she’s on her way to the abandoned church to pray. She uses her demon abilities to listen to whatever the woman was praying about.

 

Food for the children. Donations for the nuns. Safety for the donors. 

 

All that crap makes Eunji gag. Not even one selfish prayer? Not even new shoes for herself? Those worn out cheap leather flats look older than God himself. It was practically a sin to wear them.

 

“Have fun with me,” Eunji walks up to the girl.

 

Chorong shakes her head again, “I have no business having fun with a stranger. I have kids to feed. Good evening.” Again. Again she allows the mere human walk away.

 

It doesn’t take any effort to enter inside the orphanage and find Chorong cooking dinner for over twenty hungry children. It wasn’t much of a dinner, honestly. It’s just porridge and Eunji would rather skip dinner than eat tasteless human food.

 

“Why not serve chicken instead? Vile human kids love that , right?” her voice startles Chorong, wounding the girl along the process. As the aspirant winces, Eunji smells the blood dripping from her finger.

 

“How did you get in here?” Chorong asks, still in pain. She grabs the nearest towel and wraps her finger before she makes her way to the sink to rinse it off.

 

Eunji follows, drawn by the scent of blood. She watches as Chorong washes her wound. She doesn’t hesitate to take the aspirant’s hand before the wounded finger. “Hey!” Chorong pulls her hand away and stares with wide eyes. “What in the world?”

 

Her blood sends the demon craving. Eunji wants more. More of Chorong. More of her. Eunji’s face slowly turns into a smirk, “Be with me.”

 

“What?!” Chorong backs away, completely terrified now. Finally, a reaction worthy of a demon’s presence. “I’m gonna call the police,” the woman attempts to leave but Eunji catches her arm once again.

 

She feels her eyes start to burn, signifying that her usual demon form is about to come out because she had tasted something she wanted. Her whole body started trembling, wanting to have more. More of Chorong, more of her taste.

 

More. I need more.

 

It’s been a millennia since she last wanted a human’s soul so badly. Every drop of Chorong’s blood tastes as pure as humans once were. It’s a rare occurrence to have someone like her roam around the world. And being selfish by nature, Eunji wants her all for herself. She’s never shared a human before. She won’t start sharing soon.

 

“Let me go!” Chorong’s loud voice sends her flying. Eunji fee

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter