Mistaken Identity

Arresting Behaviour

"..and here's one for the cells as well, the charge is solicitation..", the arresting officer sneered as he almost threw the young woman at the front desk. He sighed loudly and smirked as she protested for the second time since arriving at the station.

 

"I'm telling you i'm a police detective, ask anyone in the Incheon station about me. Detective Kim, i'm Detective Kim, my ID is in my purse!", she was really feeling the restrictive metal of the handcuffs around her wrists as she grimaced at the leering officer. "I was waiting for my friend, we were going out for the night. I'm Detective Kim Yongsun of the Incheon division, ask them who I am!", her protestation could be heard even as she was led to an empty cell and Byulyi did not need it if she was being honest. Nursing her cup of coffee, she rubbed her forehead to soothe her increasingly intense headache as she approached the front desk. Grabbing the new pile of folders for the minor offences, she mumbled a greeting to the desk sergeant and turned back to start the slow walk back to her office. Head down, she almost walked into several colleagues and muttered apologies as they stepped aside for her. Sitting down at her desk, she opened the first folder and started reading, she barely got past the name when she stopped and closed the folder again, standing up, she marched down to the cells and unlocked the door of one which was occupied by a solo female. Stepping inside, she moved closer and gently woke the woman up, finding a small space to perch on the bed beside her. Checking her watch and sighing, she saw the minute hand slip past the hour hand which was resting over the 10, if it had been 10am, she would be alert and awake, but after a 12 hour shift, 10pm felt like midnight and she was just about ready for bed. The woman beside her was clearly sulking as she feigned sleep and so Byulyi slammed the folder in her hand onto the floor in an attempt to wake her. It worked and the startled woman almost leapt clean off of the bed before scowling as she turned to face her visitor. "What?", "Go on, say it..", she trailed off and waited for the tongue lashing as she lay with folded arms. 

"So...", she scanned the name on the file, "Miss Kim? or should I call you Detective?", she smirked a little at the audacity of the woman in front of her. "You know I should add 'Impersonating A Police Officer' to your charge sheet but soliciting will do for now I guess. I'll let you get yourself together and then i'll get someone to bring you to interview room 2.". The woman on the bed still had the same indignant look on her face as when she had first been put in the cell and paired wih the folded arms, she gave off the air of a toddler who had been denied their favourite snack. As Byulyi left the cell and locked the door again, she was followed by the words: "I'll have your badge for this officer!!". The desk sergeant smiled at her and she returned it, they had been dating for a year now and were in what was known as 'the honeymoon phase', small smiles shared between them went unnoticed and they tried their hardest not to meet for lunch anywhere near work. Dating a colleague was definitely not allowed and two women dating was almost illegal in societal eyes. So-Hyun was a few years younger than her but she was her intellectual equal in every way, the 4 years between them meant nothing in that capacity. Her phone pinged and she smirked as she walked back to her office reading the text:

'Hey y lady, dinner at mine later? Bring wine and yourself of course. Clothes are optional ;P Xx'

Walking into her office, she gathered her pen and notepad, grabbed her swipe card and made her way down to the evidence locker. There was only one bag of possessions to take out belonging to the police imposter and Byulyi looked at it's feeble contents through the clear plastic. The officer in charge smiled as she signed out and commented on how easy this one must be considering the lack of evidence, her sarcasm wasn't missed. As she left, the small bag swinging by her side, she sighed and made her way up to the interrogation room, the officer stationed outside bowed and stood aside as she entered. Closing the door and pressing the button on the sign to let people know the room was in use, she sat down opposite the woman and smirked, reading the file a little before saying anything. The evidence bag opened easily and she took out the woman's purse and phone, handing the latter over, she opened the purse and removed an ID card. Looking at the name on it, she smirked, so far the woman across from her was who she had been saying she was. At least her name was the same, printed as clear as day in bold black ink. "Miss Kim, i'd like to first of all apologise for not believing you were telling us your real name.". She quickly checked the rest of the purse and withdrew a second card, this time her heart sank a little, a standard issue Police Identity Card, it was a little thicker than the one before but it was no less official. Checking the details against the civilian ID, she sighed and replaced them both in the purse before handing it over. "Detective Kim, Please allow me to formally apologise on behalf of my officers who seem to hae been a little heavy handed and verly enthusiastic in their arrest of you. I would also like to apologise for my own poor treatment of you and for the inconvenience of you having to spend the night in a cell as a common criminal would.". Detective Kim took a moment before she responded, her previously sour expression changing into a smug one within seconds of hearing the apology. Now she sat back in an arrogant slouch and smirked making Byulyi a little uneasy. 

"I accept your double apology Detective, it's not you who is to blame for your subordinates being complete idiots and ruining a 7 month undercover sting operation. I was actually due for an appointment this afternoon here, you see, your precinct and mine are so small in staff numbers, that we are unofficially amalgamating our workforces and i'm to be stationed here.....as your partner". She grinned as Byulyi remained completely silent during her monologue and stood up, unlocking the door as she pocketed her possessions. The door closed behind her and Byulyi was left in complete surprise at the revelation of meeting her new partner on such strange terms.