The Ocean

Once Upon a Dream
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sound of the ocean is so clear… With water splashing and seagulls squawking in the distance, there is no doubt in Kibum’s mind where he is. Even with his eyes closed, he doesn’t need to see in order to know… After all, it isn’t uncommon for him to find himself out at sea at a time like this. What makes it more obvious is the fact his body is immersed in water, and rocking him about (again, as he would expect). 

Establishing his whereabouts within his mind, Kibum decides to ride the waves he finds himself in... He takes a chance to bask in the ocean’s peace before opening his eyes and confirming his odd reality. He thinks the feeling of the sea water he floats in is mesmerizing—he almost wants to stay in it forever. Whenever he was here, he was without worry or real-life anxieties filling his mind… He felt that in this position, he can even reach enlightenment…

A few moments later, he decides to break his trance of delusions and slowly opens his eyes. Quickly, he sees his speculation was right (as always)… He is out, floating face-up in some random ocean of water. With his eyes now open, he catches himself staring at the sky above him... This time, he takes time basking in the clouds floating just as he is but only in the heavens, and he notices the muddy color of the sky—indicating the sun was starting to work its way down to the horizon. Kibum sighs at this realization, and comes to understand he should work his way to getting out of the ocean before it gets dark. 

In a swift movement, he hurls his body to begin swimming in a doggy-paddle. He looks around and notices nothing in his sight but more salt water as far as his eyes can see…

“No boat this time, huh? What a joke…” Kibum sighs again as he thinks about his circumstances. He continues to scout around his surroundings as he paddles in a random direction—hoping that something comes up in his favor soon. Luckily, the waves aren’t harsh and it made it easy for him to swim without trouble; the weather also turned out in his favor as the clouds—although dense—didn’t seem to show signs of rainfall anytime soon… It doesn’t take long for a small island to finally come up in sight, just as the sun starts to set on the horizon. Kibum spots it at a far distance, and once he is locked on his new destination, begins to actually swim freestyle towards his safety.

For some reason, as he makes his way closer to the island, the waves around him become harsher and the sky becomes darker even with the slow-setting sun… The waves feel heavy against his body, and the clouds begin to loom over and cover the sky. This time it feels like a storm might actually emerge, so Kibum tries his best in his swimming and paddles as fast as he can against the water tossing him. In his effort, he arrives hastily in one piece, though the ocean and sky stay in their harsh state—neither getting better or worse. Either way, Kibum feels relieved he was able to make it safely—and after catching his breath, he seemingly switches on an auto-pilot.

Since this isn’t the first time Kibum has dreamt himself in a sort of “stranded alone on a remote island” type of scenario, he felt almost bored with the setting. Every time this dream occurred (which was much too often), he had a set routine to do. Though sometimes he would paddle to an island with a boat, sometimes he would by swimming, like he did now…  But what he did ON the island was almost always the same. His “auto-pilot” consisted of hunting and gathering—especially if he notices the possibility of an incoming storm. He spends a good amount of time finding wood, palms, fruit, and anything else that could be useful to him as his dream continues. He finds certain items one by one, and drags them back to his proclaimed spot on the beach where he slowly builds his fort of survival…

He doesn’t think much during this long process, as he’s already aware of his dream-state (and has been from the start). To him, it was hard to come up with any thoughts when he’s already so certain how things would go. Overall, a sensation like this was strange, and Kibum almost wished he had more nights when he didn't dream at all... Perhaps the unconscious state of nothing would be better than this boring circumstance he has no choice but to go through until his mind wakes up. At least, he finally thinks to himself, the sound of the sea will never bore him… If only he could stay floating out there instead.

After a long while, he decides to take a break, and sits himself on the sand next to his supposed fort. The sun was nearly gone, taking longer to set in a dream setting than it would in real life (only the top quarter of it was visible now)…  And at this point, the sky was nearly engulfed with dark clouds anyway—the sun could hardly be seen. It made everything look darker than it should, and Kibum could only sigh as he felt the storm coming in… It was most likely waiting for the sun to finally disappear.

However, in a strange change of events, something Kibum certainly has never experienced happens, and the clouds part suddenly. They disappear the instant the light of the sun is no longer seen beyond the horizon... This, for once, causes Kibum to stand in surprise.

What was that… He thinks to himself—and just as quickly as the clouds vanished, the night sky illuminates itself with stars. Stars unlike anything Kibum has ever witnessed, even in life itself, begin to appear like torches throughout the black sky. The dark of the night disappears just as the clouds did with the effect of all these stars alone. They glow brightly, causing the entire ocean and beach to be illuminated as if the full moon was in its total glory... Yet, the moon was nowhere to be seen; it was nothing but stars that went on for eternity.

At this rate, Kibum feels his heart aching with anxiety and anticipation the faster it beats in his chest. In the bright light of the sky, he looks out to sea and notices the waves somehow get bigger, and crash upon the shore with more force than before. He gasps at the scene, entranced by the way the ocean beams at him with the reflection of the millions of stars adorning existence around him. Even the sound of the harsh waves, crashing against the sand, sounded like a blessed melody… He didn’t want to run away—he was more entranced with the sea than ever before. So, instead of running, he walks towards it until he’s strolling alongside the waves as they crash along the sparkling sands. 

Each wave hardly reaches Kibum’s feet, with only a few occasionally splashing him if they happened to be bigger than the last… It doesn’t bother him when he does get wet. Somehow, the waves tickle when they do touch him, and he can’t help himself from smiling the more he walks along them. Becoming overwhelmed with giddiness, he looks up and notices shooting stars begin to fall. This time, there were no words able to describe the beautiful view Kibum was witnessing…

He decides to run, chasing the falling stars as they begin to crash on earth and on the ocean along the shore he’s stuck on. It’s so surreal, so exciting—Kibum thinks this dream is like something he never would’ve even imagined. He even has to admit he feels drugged, and he loves it. He runs on this high and as happy as ever until a certain star, burning brighter than the rest, crashes far off in the distance… Kibum notices it crash on the ground as the waves hit the shore—splashing a body laying face-down in the sand.

This sudden development causes Kibum to stop dead in his tracks, and the stars don’t wait for him… They continue to fall, one by one. Because of this, a new star would crash next to the body every few minutes as it continues to be pushed back and forth by the waves. It’s never dragged out enough to be engulfed by the ocean, and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter