[II]

The book challenge

Sana opened the door back to the bakery as the two of them laughed out loud, entering the place with their soaked clothes. The dinner was over two hours ago and they had picked up all the dishes. Dahyun had helped Sana load the dishwasher and they had spent the rest of the evening talking about their lives in the garden. Dahyun had told her about her passion for writing and also about her hobbies, such as playing the piano or directing the book club in the bookstore. Sana had explained more about her studies and her part-time job at a supermarket. Dahyun felt like she could listen to her all day and just as she thought that, it started to rain.

Their first reaction was to stand up and run inside, but then Sana began to impersonate the scene from 'Singing in the rain'. Dahyun was having a hard time controlling the volume of her laughter. Sana took Dahyun's hands and began to spin her around. It felt like the night was never going to end.

But as soon as they heard the thunder, Sana pulled on Dahyun's hand and brought her back to the bakery. She turned the lights on as they tried to control their laughter. Dahyun laughed as she pointed at Sana's messy hair and Sana tried to dry her face with the back of her hand. 

Sana took her drenched jacket off and hung it by the apron on the coat hanger. Dahyun did the same thing.

"Come with me upstairs. I'm sure there's something you can wear as we put our clothes in the dryer." Sana motioned for her to follow her. The blonde followed her and was surprised to find that the stairs led to an apartment. Dahyun noticed that the place didn't seem as neat as the bakery was. 

It only took a small detail for Dahyun to understand what the place was: the small marks on the doorframe. The same ones her family used to measure Dahyun as she was growing up. She caressed the last mark on the wood and smiled gently. That was Sana's height nowadays.

Sana never noticed that small gesture as she was busy taking her shoes off.

"I don't remember what clothes I have here." Sana took a step into the house and Dahyun started to take her shoes off. "It's probably not the best looking, but it'll do."

Dahyun placed the shoes next to Sana's and searched for a way to ask the question she had in mind. "This is where you used to live?"

Sana nodded. "I'm sorry this isn't as clean as I wished. I just didn't expect we would come here today." 

Dahyun shook her head as she followed Sana through the house. "It's okay."

"I thought about renting it, but I would have to empty it first." Sana opened the door to what used to be her bedroom and grimaced at the posters hanging on the wall. "Please don't judge me so much. I haven't been here since I was a teenager."

Dahyun entered the room and smiled at the posters of Girls' Generation, 2NE1, and Wonder Girls. There were some pictures on the wall featuring the three of them: Momo, Jihyo, and Sana. Dahyun took a step closer and chuckled at a picture where they were making silly faces.

"You look so cute here." Dahyun pointed at the younger Sana in the picture. "This is your original hair color?"

Sana nodded, having a look at the pictures on the wall. "We took this picture on Jihyo's birthday." 

Dahyun leaned her cheek on Sana's shoulder. Sana realized that Dahyun's hair was soaked as well, but she gave out a sigh at Dahyun's warmth. Dahyun pointed at another picture where Sana was kissing a short-haired girl. Sana chuckled at the memory.

"That's Jeongyeon, my first girlfriend ever," Sana explained and Dahyun's eyes widened in realization. "We didn't last much. Maybe two weeks or so. We didn't click."

"Jeongyeon, you mean Yoo Jeongyeon?" Dahyun asked, pointing at the girl. Sana tilted her head. 

"Do you know her?"

"Yep! She attends the writing club. She's the club president's girlfriend." 

"The world is such a small place, isn't it?" Sana commented, looking away from the pictures so she could forget about the reason the picture was hanging there in the first place. "Let's look for some clothes for you."

Sana opened the closet and had a look a the promotional T-shirts she had left there. She handed Dahyun a T-shirt from Jurassic Park and some shorts. Then she took the 2NE1 T-shirt and some pants for herself. 

"I know it's not the most glamourous thing, but well, no wonder why I had left it here." Sana chuckled as she patted her clothes. "If you're okay with it, I'll show you the bathroom and you can get changed there." 

Dahyun nodded and let Sana lead the way to the bathroom. She turned the lights on and Dahyun entered it, saying a small thank you before she closed the door. As Dahyun took her clothes off, she found a sticky note on the mirror. She couldn't understand what it meant at first, but then she realized it was written in Japanese. She remembered that Sana's username on Instagram was 'minatozakisana' and she connected the dots together: Minatozaki was probably her last name. 

When Dahyun changed her clothes to Sana's old clothes, she chuckled at the sight in the mirror. The T-shirt was oversized. It reminded her of the scene she wrote later in her book where one of the main characters wore her partner's clothes. It was funny that without that intimacy, she was in the very same situation as her main character.

She washed her hands and checked her make-up. It was a little bit messed up, so she decided to simply remove it. She looked for some cleansing tissues and she found them inside the cabinet. She let out a relieved sigh and she dried her hair a little bit with a towel. 

She opened the door and went to the other room that had the lights on. She found Sana getting her wet clothes inside the dryer. 

"Hey, you're looking good." Sana smiled at her as soon as she saw her. "Here, hand me your clothes."

Dahyun gave her the clothes as she checked Sana out, trying to be as casually flirty as Sana was. "You're looking good as well."

"I'm not sure about that, but well, this will do while our clothes are in the dryer." Sana placed Dahyun's clothes inside the dryer and closed the door. She programmed it and pressed the 'on' button. "Are you cold? I was thinking about getting ourselves hot chocolate while we waited for the clothes."

"That sounds awesome to me, thank you." Dahyun was surprised by how considerate Sana was. Maybe it was because she got the first impression of her being a little bit messy. Sana poked Dahyun's nose playfully.

"Only the best for you. Wait for me in the living room, I'll go downstairs." 

Sana led Dahyun to the living room and wrapped a blanket around Dahyun's shoulders, who inhaled the smell of the detergent and sighed happily. Dahyun sat on the couch and made herself comfortable. Sana giggled at the sight, finding it funny how Dahyun started to look like a burrito with that blanket. She kissed her on top of her head and hurried outside before Dahyun could complain.

"I'll be right back!" 

Dahyun didn't complain, though. She started to feel warm, both because of the blanket and because of the way Sana was pampering her. She took her phone out of the pocket of the trousers Sana had lent her and she checked her notifications. Mina had sent her a message an hour ago.

Mina: if any of my fans ever ask you, you rang my bell just now because you forgot the keys

Mina: sorry, I told Tzuyu to come over when the live stream was over but she came earlier than expected

Dahyun rolled her eyes playfully and she typed an answer.

Dahyun: you're using your flatmate as an alibi, huh? it's okay, it sounds like something I would do

Mina: thanks for the backup, you're the best!

Mina: how's the date going? do you need me to pick you up?

Dahyun looked around to make sure Sana wasn't back yet.

Dahyun: it's being awesome! I'm having so much fun. Sana is taking good care of me.

Dahyun: she's really cool and funny, and well, we are kind of flirting and such. It's weird for me, but good weird

Mina: awwww, so you like her, do you?

Dahyun double-checked if she was still alone before typing her answer.

Dahyun: I like her! She's so cute, but also mysterious and funny

Mina: I'm so happy for you!

Mina: I'll leave you to it. Tzuyu ordered something for dinner and it just arrived. Have fun, okay?

Mina: text me if you need anything! 

Dahyun: have fun, you two!

Dahyun left the phone on top of the coffee table and had a look in the living room. The decoration was simple. There was a picture of Sana wearing traditional Japanese clothes next to the decoration of the Hina Matsuri. This was what confirmed it to Dahyun, but as soon as Sana came back she asked it anyway.

"Sana, are you Japanese?" 

Sana chuckled as she placed the warm chocolates on the coffee table. "Well, yeah. I thought it was obvious."

"Well, not so much! I mean, I just realized it now." Dahyun started to feel embarrassed.

"It's natural. I have spent all my life here in Seoul so it's normal that you hadn't noticed before." Sana took the mug from the coffee table and handed it to Dahyun. Dahyun inhaled the sweet smell and closed her eyes.

"This must be heaven." 

Sana placed her hand on Dahyun's cheek. The blonde opened her eyes and watched how Sana smiled at her.

"Yeah, I must agree." 

Dahyun was pretty sure that she was blushing, but she never broke the eye contact with Sana. Then, all of a sudden, Sana shivered and decided to take a blanket for herself. She wrapped the blanket around her shoulders and took the remaining mug in her hands. She smiled and she took a small sip, staining her lips when doing so. Dahyun reached out and cleaned it with her thumb, sending warmth all over Sana's body. 

Sana wanted to kiss her so badly. 

Dahyun knew it when she saw the way Sana was gazing at her lips and she gulped in anticipation.

Leaving the mug back on the coffee table, she leaned in and Dahyun held her mug tight, making sure she wouldn't spill it no matter what happened next.

It was soft and gentle. 

'Just like her' Dahyun thought, feeling an unknown warmth in her chest. 

Sana smiled at her as she pulled away and Dahyun mirrored that smile, feeling like her heart could melt.

"I think... what did you say earlier about your willpower?" Sana in a soft whisper. Dahyun began to giggle, or more accurately, chortle.

"You win. Though you kissed me first." Dahyun pointed out and Sana shrugged.

"It was bound to happen anyway." 

Dahyun brought the hot chocolate to her lips and drank a small sip as well, before leaving the matching mug next to Sana's. 

"This was your...?" Sana didn't know if she should ask her. She just pointed at her own lips. Dahyun didn't quite catch what she meant at first, but as soon as it clicked in her mind, she shook her head.

"No, no. It wasn't my first kiss." Dahyun knew by now that her cheeks had a pink tone, considering how warm her whole body felt. 

"Oh, good!" Sana answered though she didn't know what to say. She kind of wanted to ask her about her first kiss but she didn't want to make things awkward like she wanted to know every single detail about her previous love life.

Lucky for her, Dahyun began to tell her about her first kiss.

"Actually, my first kiss was with my friend Chaeyoung." Dahyun laughed at the memory. "It's quite a funny story. There was a boy in my class who wouldn't stop flirting with me and the situation was really bothering me because he wouldn't understand what 'no' meant." 

Sana listened to her while leaning her head on her knuckles, her elbow resting on the back of the couch. "That's disgusting."

"Yeah, I know. Chaeyoung couldn't stand it either so one day she picked me up from class and began to treat me as if we were girlfriends. She tried to act clueless but she was actually paying close attention to that guy and just when he was going to intervene, she kissed me in front of him."

Sana covered with the tip of her fingers as she laughed. "And? How did he react?"

"I don't know, but I'm sure he was pissed." 

They began to laugh. Sana pictured the situation in her mind and found it hilarious. Sana began to tell her a story that reminded her of that situation because that was the kind of thing Jihyo would do for Momo. Momo had always been a popular kid and every Valentine's Day she would have hundreds of cards, confessions, flowers, chocolate, and even engagement rings. It got to a point where it was a hard situation to handle, so while they were in High School Jihyo pretended from January to March that they were dating. The three of them were always fond of skinship and playing around so faking a relationship wasn't a big change in the way they interacted. They just tried to give each other pet names or kiss each other goodbye. 

She didn't tell Dahyun that Momo felt confused about their relationship the last time they did that, because, of course, that was something her best friend had confessed only to her. When the next January arrived, Momo just said that she could handle it herself.

"That's hilarious! It reminds me of my friend Mina. When we were in High school every guy would ask her out but she wasn't interested in anyone." 

They began to exchange stories about their friends and they laughed at the funny anecdotes of their lives. Before they could be aware of the time passing, the dryer made a sound that announced that it was done. Sana tried to stand up but Dahyun pulled on her blanket to keep her from moving. 

"Hey, um..."

Dahyun didn't know how to phrase it, so she just clumsily pointed at her own lips.

Sana showed her a big smile before she nodded her head and leaned in to leave another kiss on her lips. Dahyun placed her hand on Sana's cheek and kissed her back, tilting her head to the side. When they pulled away, Sana was smiling from ear to ear. 

"I know that the clothes are ready but... can we stay like this a little bit more?"

Sana nodded her head and wrapped her arms around Dahyun's shoulders, letting the younger rest her weight on her. They slowly began to lie down on the couch and Dahyun placed her hands on each side of Sana's waist.

Dahyun rested her head on Sana's chest and Sana pressed a kiss on top of her head. The blonde let out a sigh. 

"I think I could stay like this all night..."

Sana agreed silently, pressing another kiss on her head before leaning her chin on top of it.


Tzuyu was helping Mina with the dishes as they shared a light conversation about Minecraft and how Mina's last Livestream had gone. Even though the Livestream had ended hours ago, Mina's voice was still soft and low. It was something that Tzuyu liked about her girlfriend. Ever since she arrived in South Korea, she felt like all her life had turned noisy because of having to live on her own in a foreign country. That's why she became a fan of Mina's videos in the first place. 

As Tzuyu dried the last plate, she had a look at Mina and smiled. Mina noticed it and giggled.

"What is it?"

Tzuyu shrugged and placed the plate inside the cupboard. "I'm just feeling lucky."

"Aw, come on. You know I'm the lucky one."

Mina took a step forward and went on her tiptoes to kiss Tzuyu. They stood there, just enjoying each other's warmth as they held each other close. 

"I have been thinking about coming out" Tzuyu confessed. Mina pulled away so she could have a better look at her girlfriend's expression.

"Really?" 

"Yeah." Mina could sense that Tzuyu was nervous about it, but she had a gentle smile on her face that let her know that she meant it. "My father is coming to Seoul for a business meeting and I'm going to have lunch with him. I would tell you to join me, but well, I don't know how is he going to take it so..."

"I want to be there for you" Mina reassured her before Tzuyu outed her of the plan. "I know it's not going to be easy, but these things never are."

Tzuyu smiled at her and pulled her for another hug.

Near to where they were standing, Sana had walked Dahyun to her apartment's door and now they were awkwardly trying to find a way to say goodbye to each other. Dahyun played with the hem of her T-shirt, looking for the right words. When she was writing, she flowed through the words time could fly and she would never stop. But now, standing in front of Sana, she found herself speechless.

So Sana spoke first.

"I had so much fun tonight."

It was sincere and simple. Dahyun mirrored Sana's smile as she nodded her head. "Me too. This was the best first date ever."

Dahyun felt all giddy as she said that, a little bit vulnerable for showing her feelings in front of her date. 

"Well, but there will be a second date, right?" Sana asked, getting a step closer so she could lips next to hers. Dahyun decided to be bold for once and she kissed her. Sana was slightly dumbfounded but she couldn't stop smiling.

"Yeah. But next time the plan is on me, okay?" Dahyun offered, though she had no idea of what they would do. It was a problem she would have to solve as soon as she entered her apartment. She lived with another writer who was dating a reader, there was no way she couldn't find a new date idea.

"That way you can be in control of the situation, got it." Sana winked at her.

"So..." Dahyun didn't know what else to say. "Goodnight?"

Sana nodded her head before she leaned in for a goodbye kiss. "Sweet dreams, Dahyun."

Her name sounded so different when she said it. 

'That's the kind of small details Nayeon talked about.' Dahyun understood it now.

"Please text me when you get home," Dahyun asked. Sana gave her a thumbs up before she brought Dahyun's hand to her lips to leave a gentle kiss on its back.

"I'll do. See you soon, my lady."  

Dahyun pulled on her hand and wrapped her arms around her, for a quick goodbye hug. Sana giggled and kissed her crown. When they pulled away, Dahyun used the keys to open the door and looked back to wave at Sana one last time. Sana smiled at her and watched her get inside her house before she turned around.

As soon as Mina heard the keys on the door, she pulled on Tzuyu's wrist to lead her to the front door.

"How was it?" 

Dahyun took her soaked shoes off with a smile. "Best first date ever!"

Tzuyu fangirled and Mina clapped her hands enthusiastically. Dahyun pulled Mina into a hug and spin her around, giggling as she tried to calm her heartbeat. 

"I'm so happy for you" Mina patted her friend's back before pulling away. 

"She was that good, huh?" Tzuyu as she poked Dahyun's cheek. 

"She was so caring, gentle... so thoughtful!" She placed her hands on her cheeks. "I had so much fun. And we kissed! And I didn't freak out. And we danced under the rain."

"Aww, that sounds so romantic" Mina smiled at her friend as she wrapped an arm around Tzuyu's waist. "Doesn't this remind you of our first date, honey?"

Tzuyu made a dramatic pose as she pretended to have a flashback. "We were so young and in love..." She looked back at her. "Just like right now."

Mina giggled as she playfully smacked the girl on the shoulder. 

"I'll need your help to plan the next date!" Dahyun asked them, pleading with her hands joined. 

"Of course, my dear. But first things first, how did it go?"

By the time Dahyun was done telling her friends about her date, Sana reached her house. When she brought Dahyun to the bakery, she never expected to bring her upstairs to what used to be her home. She exited her car, thinking about the picture on her old bedroom's wall. The last conversation she had with her mother started to replay inside her mind as she walked to the door of the apartment block. Sana shook her head and smiled as she took her phone out to write Dahyun a message.

Sana: I just got home. Sweet dreams, Dahyun!

She put the phone inside her bag as she took the elevator to her flat. She thought about the first kiss with Dahyun and she got tingles all over her body. She knew that this was different from any other relationship she had before. She wanted to make things better for once. 

As soon as she opened the door, Jihyo ran to the entrance. Jihyo was wearing a pajama and she was quickly calling Momo for a video chat. 

"Is she back? How did it go?" Momo asked, picking up the call as fast as lightning. 

Sana began to giggle as she pointed at her lips. Jihyo gave out a heavy gasp.

"THEY KISSED! OH MY GOD!" Jihyo screamed with all the air out of her lungs and the celebration began at that very same moment.

When Dahyun got to bed that night, she brought her hands to her chest as she thought about the date they had. She took her phone to send her one last text.

Dahyun: i know what we're going to do on our next date. wait for it!

Dahyun knew what their characters would probably say after those words, and even if she didn't feel like doing so because it was way too soon, the three words played in her mind.

'I love you.'