Soulmate Rings

Soulmate Rings [a jinjoo special oneshot]

A young woman in her early twenties was found having a drink outside of the balcony of her hotel room. She took a lungful of air as she sipped on her icy cold beverage. She shivered, feeling the cold breeze engulf her whole body, complaining about why she chose a cold beverage instead of a warm one.

She glanced at the ornament wrapped around her ring finger, seeing this beautiful shade of Orange. The color reminds her of the hoodie she wore on her 19th birthday. She chuckled lowly, still shivering from the cold.

The woman knew what it meant. Her soulmate is hungry. A sigh escaped from her lips as she took her drink, waddling back to her room.

RING RING

The young woman hissed, clearly startled at the sudden obnoxious noise of her phone. She almost dropped her drink in the process, but gladly, she caught onto it.

Before answering her phone, she stared at the contact name

It was her best friend, Yena

"Hello, Yujin?"

The young woman quickly placed her drink on the thick metal railings before responding to her best friend

"Yeah, unnie? Do you need anything?" The woman asked, staring at her ring that was still flashing the color Orange. Finding it a bit adorable

"Nothing~" The woman sensed this teasing tone with her friend's voice. There was a hint of mischief presented. But she shrugged it off, expecting that this is one of her friend's playful antics.

"Soooo.. How's London?~" The young woman hummed, playing with her drink as she spoke to her friend.

The young woman was Ahn Yujin. She is 22 years old, currently working as a photographer in 'Kang's visual arts'.

Well. She got promoted and all. She was given a task to travel to London to take some pictures. More on a vacation, but with minimized work.

She grew up to be playful around people that she's close with, but very serious to strangers. She also learned to grow attached to little things. Just like her childhood blanket, she still cherishes it 'till this day.

But the most intriguing to her is the ring. She was interested in topics when it comes to soulmates and rings. As she grew up, she couldn't stop but have these quiet sessions with her ring. She always reserves a little time for her and her ring only, just studying the colors that change from time to time.

She wanted to meet her soulmate soon.

It was one of her goals in her lifetime.

Yujin was found in a nearby cafe, slightly delighted that she saw a vacant seat next to the clear glass wall. She gently took off the big camera that was hanging from her neck then scurried towards the vacant seat, letting out a relieved sigh as she felt the soft cushions hugging her lower back.

After a few minutes of rest, she sat up properly then fixed her things on the table. She planned to just order later once the line disappears. Just thinking of falling in line makes her exhausted.

She then glanced at her ring, seeing this warm, bright, soft Yellow color that is radiating cheerful behavior. The sight made her happy since it means that her soulmate is for sure very cheerful today. And she can't help but to wonder why.

She couldn't quite erase the smile on her face as she was staring at the Yellow color, thinking of some scenarios on what made her soulmate happy. But whatever it is, she is thankful for it.

Yujin clenched her fists tightly, twirling her hand around as she was for sure entertained with the color presented on the ring.

But not until it suddenly went Blue.

Yujin froze at the sudden change of color

Her heart was beating erratically out of nervousness

It was the first time it ever happened. Usually, the colors change quite slow.

But this one changed fast. Like- fast fast

She couldn't quite believe what she was seeing so she panickedly shook her hand. It was all to no avail since it's really Blue.

Her soulmate is sad. Now her mood turned gloomy as she silently sulked on the soft cushions.

Now it was Yujin's 3rd day in London. She went out to go to the supermarket as she heard that the ice cream here in London was too good for the people who took a visit. So now she's on her way to the Supermarket to buy whichever Ben & Jerry's ice cream that might catch her attention.

The incident back at the cafe, it didn't leave her mind. It only worries her everytime she thinks about it.

She exited the hotel building, wearing very thick clothing 'cuz it was sure very cold in London. Once she stepped outside, she shivered instantly, quickly hovering her hands in front of her face so she could blow on them. Rubbing her hands together as she was blowing on it. She stayed there frozen for a while because she can't quite walk with this temperature.

After a while, she regained her energy then started walking, grabbing her phone in the process as she started texting her best friend.

She was so engrossed in talking to Yena to the point that she didn't notice the color of the ring.

And finally, she held the phone in her left hand as she brought her right hand close to her face to check up on the ring color.

She was quite shocked and scared with the color, resulting her to yelp in her place. That color doesn't fail to make her feel intimidated and scared. The ring was flashing a very bright and dark Red. Yujin can feel the threat through the color as she gulped. She just silently ignored it then continued to text her friend.

Yujin was sure that there was something negative going on and she couldn't help but worry.

It was now Yujin's 4th day in London. She was expected to go back to Korea next week. The woman enjoyed her time here in London and she couldn't ask for more.

The only thing concerning her was the ring. It has been flashing negative colors recently and Yujin's getting nervous over it since it always flashes Blue.

She just hoped that everything's fine.

Today, The said woman is outdoors again. But this time, she took her time wandering around the area, taking pictures here and there.

click

Yujin was getting proud of how the pictures were coming out as she smiled to herself. She scrolled through the pictures she took with her camera, feeling a bit happy.

Not until she saw her ring again. It was flashing this very calming Purple color.

She felt a bit skeptical since the meaning behind it is not calm at all. It was exactly the opposite. Yujin furrowed her brows as she looked closer.

The young woman didn't know what to feel, considering that it was the first time seeing this color on the ring. Perhaps her soulmate got very scared?

Maybe it did flash the color Purple before but she didn't notice it.

Or maybe, it was the really first time this color flashed onto the ring. Maybe her soulmate was good at hiding her feelings

Nah, that's not possible

She suddenly then felt nervous as it was her first time seeing this color, but she still knew the meaning behind it.

And that's where she grew concerned for this person.

It was her 5th day in London. She decided that she should stay in her hotel room for today. Maybe watch some free Guitar lessons on youtube.

Speaking of Guitar lessons, Yujin rose up from her bed, groggily walking towards her Guitar that she brought with her to London.

She stared at it for a while then glanced back at the ring. It's still Blue. She shrugged it off then grabbed the Guitar, taking it out of the Guitar case then held the Guitar in her arms.

After observing the Guitar, she fixed her posture then started strumming the instrument.

It felt calming to the young woman. Heaving a sigh because she doesn't know how to play it quite yet. Now here she is, preparing her laptop to watch some tutorials on the internet.

She followed all of the steps, clearly determined to learn the said instrument. She was too focused in learning to the point that she didn't see the color of the ring

Which was flashing Black

She enjoyed learning about the Guitar, yet she didn't notice the color of the ring. Eventually, she grew tired so she turned off the laptop, stretching her limbs as she placed the Guitar on her lap, gently tapping it since she was happy to learn the basics on how to play.

Not until she noticed that she was staring at the Guitar for a while, unintentionally glancing back at the ring making her heart drop.

It was Black

She froze in her seat, staring at the color as her heart started to drum very loudly. She dashed to the nearest light switch, turning on all of the lights so she can have a clear view of the color

It was still Black.

She panicked then felt the atmosphere turning dark and eerie.

She tried shaking her hand, banging the ring on surfaces, bringing the ring to much clearer lights. But it still flashed the same color. Black.

Yujin was found sitting in front of her door as she was dumbfoundedly staring at the ring while quivering.

The young woman didn't notice that she choked a sob in the middle of trying to breathe. As she was staring at the ring, she felt droplets of tears from her cheeks then took a breath.

The young photographer was then seen crying on the floor.

She felt depressed, miserable, and crestfallen. Yujin dreamed of meeting her soulmate soon. But it seems like the world is against it.

She then started grieving for someone whom she hasn't met in her life.

But what she didn't notice was the name that flashed before the ring turned Black.

'Kim Minjoo'