Formalities

For The Good Of The Family

"Stand still Yongsun!, hold your breath for a few seconds and keep fanning yourself slowly. You're making so much fuss over this but you'll thank me later. There, all done.", cold air whipped her face every few seconds but she still felt light-headed as she eased herself onto the sofa, right on the edge because that's all that her dress allowed her to do and her mother was frowning all the while. Ladies did not sit unless asked to by their elders or the householders whom they were visiting, but here she perched, youngest daughter of the Kim family, Yongsun, just 19 years old and starting her life as a slightly well-off immigrant. 

The sound of each string echoing as she plucked expertly, the instructor waiting patiently with his hands in his lap, his eyes closed as he listened. She knew if she made even a single error, he would treat is a personal affront and her parents would hear about it for days to come. It was perfect after all, every lift and fall in the song met perfectly with the ticking of the metronome by her side. "Well done Miss Moon, I can see real improvement in your playing. Next week we'll try a new song and see where we need to improve or if, I daresay, you will once again impress me with your mastery. Until next time Miss Moon, goodbye and be well.", he left with a overly dramatic bow to her and the room fell silent for a split second in which Moonbyul closed her eyes and placed her violin down at the same time, exhausted. Her finger, once blistered from repetitive practice in her home, were once again smooth and ladylike, much to her parents relief. In the words of her mother, "No woman with calloused or cut hands ever finds a husband", Moonbyul didn't mind, she didn't really want a husband anyway. Before she could relax fully, the door opened and in came her mother, looking a little flush and frowning at her daughter. "Byulyi, you don't have time to stand there doing nothing, we're expected at the house of a new family just a few streets away from our own home. Come along, your father and brother are already on their way to the house and you know how I like to arrive as a family if possible.". Moonbyul rolled her eyes, replaced her violin in it's case and stowed it in the cupboard where they were kept when not in use. She followed her mother, who was now ferociously fanning herself, out of the door and into the cab which she had evidently arrived in. 

Sometimes the way she was waited on hand and foot frustrated Yongsun and she tried her very best to find ways to evade the staff or look for hiding places where she could spend a few glorious minutes away from the incessant nagging of her mother. Lately it had nothing but not-so-subtle hints as to how certain eligible men were actively looking for wives and that they wouldn't stay on the shelf for long. As she paced the drawing room, the doorbell chimed and she was startled, too lost in her own thoughts, a moment later and their footman, George, had stepped in the room, followed by a group of people she had never met. Her mother's mood instantly changed and Yongsun had to stifle a giggle at how posh her voice had turned. "Welcome, Mr and Mrs Moon. I am Mrs Kim and this is my daughter Yongsun, i'm afraid my husband is busy with his work at the town hall, he sends his apologies. I see this strapping young man must be Minseok..and this vision of beauty must be Byulyi. We're very pleased to meet you, welcome to our home and please make yourselves comfortable. I'll have our butler, Stokes, bring some light refreshments.", signalling for her request to be carried out, Yongsun's mother made her usual show of parading her guests around the room and showing off their art collection, bragging all the while about how they had acquired it all. Yongsun was trying her best to stay ladylike but all she wanted to do was tear this damned corset off and breathe, her fanning speed increased until she had to excuse herself and get some fresh air outside. Standing in the back yard, she gasped for air and felt someone arrive behind her a few seconds later, she turned to face the newcomer and blushed to see Byulyi stood there, obviously in a corset too but apparently immune to it's powers of suffocation. Between gasps, Yongsun asked her, "How..are you..breathing..so well?..". Grinning, Byulyi, took her hand and pulled her into the maze not too far in front of them, she stopped only when they were totally secluded and leant forward, pulling at the place between her s, Yongsun blushed harder and looked away, she felt a soft hand touch her jaw and ease her face round to look again upon the beauty of Byulyi. They were so close that she could see every single eyelash and she could feel the gentle heat of her breath upon her face, something thin and hard was pressed against her and she looked down, it was a flat piece of wood which had been the reason behind Byulyi's ability to breathe in her corset apparently. The darkness caused by the high hedges was increased by the ever dwindling space between them, both hearts racing as they looked into each other's eyes and the inches became mere millimeters, lips almost touching, hands trying to find purchase on any part of each other's body they could find, they were so close. So. Close.