Open Wounds

Cursed by the Moon

       Sua woke up with a familiar weight on her chest. Even though Gahyeon had her own room, she sometimes went to Sua's in the middle of the night and used the vampire as her cushion. The first time, she had scratched the door to get noticed and left claw marks on the wooden frame, so Sua had decided to leave her door slightly ajar to prevent further scratchings on the furniture.

The young fox didn’t wake her up. She silently walked in and curled up on her until morning.

            Sua watched Gahyeon sleeping on her chest for a few minutes. She couldn't really know why she did that, but she assumed it was because of nightmares or maybe she was afraid of being alone in a dark place. Sometimes the vampire wished Gahyeon could talk and explain to her everything, maybe cry on her shoulder and let it all out instead of staying trapped in that fox form. But she knew she was asking too much too fast.

            Han Dong had explained to her that the fox form simply felt safer for kitsunes in the early years of their existence and the Moon knew Gahyeon needed safety.  The image of that skinny girl, in that cold basement, a chain around her neck and a fire in her eyes contrasting with the pale of her skin still haunted Sua sometimes.

            Paws sank lightly into her skin. The fox must have felt the gaze resting on her and had woken up. Her two pale-yellow eyes stared at Sua.

“Good morning Gahyeonie.”

            Gahyeon’s ears turned forward while her tail rose a little as a way to say “good morning” back. Sometimes, the two of them would have silent conversations like that. Sua knew nothing about foxes' behaviour, but she would simply look at Gahyeon and understand what she wanted to communicate. 

“Let’s see what Dong is doing”

            The fox jumped out and went downstairs while she went straight to the shower to get ready. As a vampire, she didn’t need regular food and therefore skipped most of the meals. She did try to be present and at least offer conversation, but morning was an exception.

            When she went down to the kitchen, Han Dong was already cleaning the plates from breakfast and Gahyeon was nowhere to be seen. Chances were she was napping somewhere hidden in the house.

“Good morning”, her host greeted without turning. “Did Gahyeon sleep in your room again?”

“Good morning. Yeah, she did. I don’t know what I should do about that. I mean it’s fine for now, but at some point she’ll have to be able to sleep alone. I wish she could just tell me what’s wrong.”

“But you already know what’s wrong, don’t you?”

            Sua squinted a little at that comment. It was always a mystery how Han Dong knew everything without even having to talk about it. Was it because Sua was too obvious, or was it thanks to her kitsune wisdom that so many Folks talked about? In any case, the vampire didn’t like how the other just read through her and didn’t even try to hide it.

“I have an idea,” she admitted reluctantly.

“Then just talk to her about that.”

            Sua huffed. She wished things were that easy.

“And then what? She’ll stare at me with her ears flattened on the sides and the next morning I’ll wake up with her in my room again. Can’t you communicate with her, instead? Like, use some kitsune language or something.”

            Han Dong turned at last to stare at her guest. She was always irritated by the way Sua often tried to run away from every difficulty she encountered with Gahyeon. It felt like they both had very different ideas of what they were here for.

            Han Dong had never meant to be Gahyeon’s new family, she didn’t want to raise her as her own like she had done in the past with another abandoned cub. She was ready to help her deal with her kitsune’s abilities and she was always there to give advice, but she wasn’t the solution to everything. At some point, Sua needed to step up and stop questioning herself so much.

“I could, but I’m not the one who should.”

            Sua sighed at the now common remark she got every time she asked for advice. She knew Han Dong was, once again, right and she anticipated the incoming explanation in the same way a student would do when being forced to repeat what the teacher had just said. 

“Because I’m her…”

“Because you’re her family”, Dong interrupted, “exactly. It’s only the tenth time I repeat it this week. I think we’re making progress.”

            Her annoyed tone could have made Sua’s blood boil. If that fox always knew everything, why couldn’t she understand that Sua was scared? That she never had to deal with that kind of situation. That her own family had never cared that much about her. That she had no clue how to be the best example for Gahyeon.

            A brush against her ankle stopped her in her anger. Gahyeon had sensed some agitation and came right away. It was amazing how she always knew when Sua was distressed.

“Anyway.” The vampire glared at their host to signify this conversation was only closed for now. “I have a meeting with Leedo today, about the Lodge and everything and I think I'll visit the city a little more. I’ll be sure to be back around dinner.”

“All right,” Han Dong answered just as sternly. “Have a nice day.”

            The vampire petted Gahyeon to say goodbye and wasted no time to get out of the house. She would bring her irritation somewhere else.

Han Dong waited until the door clacked to look at Gahyeon with an exasperated yet affectionate smile.

“She does care a lot about you, doesn’t she?”

 

***

 

            The sun was out in Tokyo’s sky that day. There was a time when its rays would have burnt her skin, but in this Age they only tired her. Only the Elders remembered the day the Sun softened its curse.

At the beginning their kind was punished by the two spheres equally. The Moon had turned the blood in their veins cold, and the Sun had made the light of day impossible to withstand.

            After a few thousand years though, the burning star had changed its mind. Vampires could walk outside during the day but it would weaken them greatly. Even since then they prefered to avoid it as much as they could. Sua was no different.

“Do you want to have a drink inside?”

            The man she was supposed to meet was waiting for her in the shadow of a bar. His thin dark eyes and angelic face could fool anyone into thinking he was just a regular good-looking guy with a dash of brooding for good measure. In reality, Leedo was one of those who could remember the day the Sun softened its curse.

            Sua followed him inside the small vintage bar. There weren't a lot of people drinking at the tables, it was too early for that yet. They crossed the room and took a private door behind the counter that opened onto a dark hall with two doors. One was the regular path that led to the bar’s storage room. The other could only be seen by those who knew it existed. It opened onto another bar, more crowded, with people like themselves who were trying to stay away from the Sun.

            They took place at a booth that was booked for them and the bartender immediately brought what they needed.

            Sua peered into the thick garnet liquid contained in her glass. When had it stopped to disgust her? She couldn’t remember. Now she found beauty in it. A sort of idle fascination for the way it swayed slowly and smoothly when she tilted the glass, not exactly as fluid as water but still enough to convince herself it was a normal drink. She brought the glass to her lips and let this new blood fill her veins.

“Is it to your taste?” Leedo asked, his gaze studying her reaction with a deep interest.

“Better than most.”

            The Elder gave a satisfied smile. As the lord in charge of the Lodge of Tokyo, he took everything related to the transaction of blood very seriously and as one of Sua’s oldest friends, he only wished to give her the best he could bring. Now the conversation could properly start.

“I was surprised to hear you were coming this close to Korea.”

            Sua gave him a sombre look. She sometimes failed to understand whether Leedo made these kinds of comments on purpose, just to trigger her, or if he was genuinely surprised. In any case, there wasn’t a world in which she was willing to talk about what he was implying.

“I wasn’t supposed to stay. Otherwise I would have made prior arrangements.”

            The older vampire heard the animosity in her voice and refrained from making further allusions. Instead, he put on his professional persona.

“It’s fine, don’t worry. If you had been a complete stranger we would have run some background checks, but I trust you.”

            He took a folded piece of paper from his inner pocket and slid it on the table. Sua took it and read the information inside. It was a list of places like the bar they were in. Safe places for their kind, hidden from humans and Folks alike. Havens scattered through the streets.

“I also have a list of people who are willing to give their blood in person if you want to, but as I recall you don’t like getting it fresh from the source.”

“You remember well. I’ll just take the usual delivery at the address I gave you.”

“Consider it done.”

            The two exchanged a satisfied smile. The Lodge of Tokyo had the reputation of being efficient. The reputation wasn’t stolen. They had put in place a well organised system based on the Folks’ willingness to help the vampiric kind.

There was a network of people giving their blood. Either in blood bags that were hidden in juice boxes and delivered to those who needed them, or by accepting to be bitten. Everything was organised so that it wouldn’t drain them. Their identities and locations remained undisclosed. The only way to contact them was through the Lodge. That way, their safety was guaranteed.

            Sua refused to bite people to get the blood she needed. It was a line she had crossed in the past but wasn’t willing to cross ever again. The delivery service of concealed blood bags was perfect for her. She had even bought her own fridge to not let the bags be mixed with ordinary food. The last thing she wanted was for Gahyeon to be unexpectedly confronted with that reality.

“Is there anything the Lodge needs while I’m here?” She asked politely as a way to slowly lead the conversation to an end.

“Well, if you ever want to join the anti-rebel group, we will gladly accept your help, but the streets are relatively safe those days. Criminality rates are low, so not a lot of new vampires are appearing. Most of the young ones are being handled by the Lodge, so not a lot of fanatics either. Life in Tokyo is mostly peaceful for us. The only real threat would be if another clan came from the outside and started causing trouble.”

            Leedo’s voice trailed a little longer on that last sentence. Sua knew what he meant. There was only one threat that could defy the Lodge. One that came from Korea.

“I doubt he’ll ever come back here.”

“I doubt it too.”

They both wanted it to be true and in all likeliness it was. Still there was an uneasiness escaping from both their answers.

“So tell me,” Leedo deflected, “how is it, living with two kitsunes? Are you controlling your impulses well? Their blood is rare and powerful, it can make us lose our senses.”

“I’m not a senseless beast, my impulses are not what I worry about,” Sua answered on the defensive.

“I didn’t mean it like that. You know I would never make such assumptions about you.”

            Leedo locked his eyes on hers. He was serious. Threateningly so. Sua gulped under his scrutiny and let him continue.

“However, you really should worry about it. This isn't some ear-say. It's true. Their blood contains powerful magic. Moon magic. If you ever start to feel dizzy around them just stay away for a while.”

            The image of Gahyeon in the cell where those vampires kept her flashed back in Sua’s mind. She would never become like them.

“I get what you mean. I’ll be careful.”

            The Elder studied her carefully. He was under the impression that she was taking that last advice personally while, in fact, it was something he would have said to any vampire. Sometimes Leedo wished Sua wasn’t so hard on herself.

“There is no shame in admitting that you can be weak to your instincts, Sua. As long as you acknowledge them and keep them under control, you have no reason to be afraid.”

“Thank you Leedo.”

            She understood his concern. She understood he hadn’t meant his advice as a warning, but that’s all she could hear anyway: a warning. She had fallen for her instincts before, in quite a spectacular way. She would never make that mistake again.

 

***

 

            Sua was on her way back to Han Dong's place when she received the text.

 

Annoying fox: I forgot to tell you we had guests for dinner. Try to bring back your good temper with you.

 

            She could have been annoyed, but in truth it made her laugh, the way Dong was never afraid to go too far in the teasing. She had always thought Yoohyeon was a relevant case of overconfidence mixed with carelessness. However, the kitsune was well exceeding the fae as far as audacity was concerned.

            It also helped that Sua had significantly calmed down since morning.

            By the time she reached the apartment, she had fully prepared herself to appear on her best behaviour. It was an instinct that most vampires had when they met other Folks. There already were so many prejudices against them, they couldn’t afford to be seen as “one of the bad ones.”

“I’m back,” she said cheerfully while entering the main room.

“Welcome back,” Han Dong answered.

            She was finishing dinner with her two guests. Their eyes rested on the new-comer for an uncomfortable amount of seconds. One of them had hair the colour of wine and when she had seen Sua her warm smile had turned to a thin line.

            Sua couldn't say for other vampires, but she knew she deserved the contempt she received from this stare. She didn't wish for it, but she would never try to erase it from the other’s face. However, that didn’t mean she could hold it without wincing. Her gaze turned to the other guest. She seemed friendlier, or at least curious. She greeted her with a smile and directed her gaze back to Dong who made the presentations.

“This is my daughter Siyeon” — the friendly girl answered with a “nice to meet you” — “and her girlfriend Minji.” — the woman with wine-red hair bowed her head silently.

“Nice to meet you, my name's Sua.” The vampire scanned the room, looking for the only missing person, but couldn’t find her. “Where’s Gahyeon?”

“Hidden somewhere”, Dong answered. “She fled as soon as new people entered.”

Sua sighed. “She really doesn’t like strangers.”

“I thought meeting another shapeshifter would help her, but I think I went too fast.”

“Another shapeshifter?” the vampire turned a questioning gaze toward the guests.

“I’m a werewolf,” Siyeon informed.

            Sua wasn't sure, but it felt like there was something else being withheld in the way the young woman smiled uncomfortably at her. She didn't pry though. It wasn't her place. Not to mention there was a bigger question occupying her mind. How on earth could a kitsune be a werewolf's mother?

            Dong probably saw the interrogation in her eyes because she gave the missing piece of information.

“I adopted Siyeon when she was a cub.”

            There was still something that was left unsaid. Wolves without their packs were too rare. Cubs even more so. What led Siyeon to be left alone? Sua would never ask that question. None of the potential answers she could imagine were pleasant to tell.

“What about you, Sua?” Minji's voice rose. “What are you doing here?”

            There were several layers to that question, Sua knew, and she could tell none of her answers would satisfy the young woman.

“I'm a vampire from the Lodge of Paris. I found Gahyeon and decided to bring her to someone who could help her better than I could. I'm staying here because she has chosen me as her family.”

“And do you really believe you can help by staying here?”

            Minji's voice kept getting sharper, her eyes had taken a mean glow. Whatever her experiences were with vampires, she clearly had a strong opinion about them.

            Sua tried to stay calm. Her hands clenched into fists and her brown eyes progressively took a reddish tint. But her tensed smile still stretched her lips.

“She trusts me. I know I can help.”

“But that doesn't mean anything, does it? She can trust you all she wants; it doesn't erase the fact that you're a murderer.”

            Eyes flashed red. It took all of Sua's willpower to remain still. Mentally, she was recovering from the shock of being insulted so overtly.

“Minji, stop.” Siyeon intervened. “You're going too far. She has done nothing wrong and there's a lot we don't understand about the situation.”

            The red head averted her severe gaze to her girlfriend.

“I think you’re the one who doesn’t understand, Siyeon. All vampires have spilled the blood of their kin. It's the only condition to be turned into one of them.”

            Sua's jaws started to hurt from the way she clenched them. Murderer was a common insult used against her kind and there was nothing she could say against it because it was true. Like Minji said, only those who had spilled the blood of their kin could accept the curse of the Moon. It was their sin. She would never try to erase that. She had killed a man and chose to be turned into a vampire because she was afraid to die. Those were facts.

            However, there was one thing she was certain about: she would never hurt Gahyeon. She would never drink her blood like her kidnappers did. She didn't always know how to help her, but she knew the kitsune was safe with her.

“That's enough.”

            Han Dong's commanding voice resonated in the room. Sua realised for the first time how soothing her voice usually was in comparison.

“Minji, come with me for a moment.”

            Everyone was still. Minji rose from her chair and followed Han Dong outside the main room.

            In the silence that followed, nobody dared speak. Sua realised she was still standing with her fist clenched and trembling arms. Siyeon noticed it too and offered her to sit at the table in front of her.

“I'm sorry.” She blurted, embarrassed. “I didn't know she would act this way, otherwise I would have talked about it more with her before coming here.”

“This isn't just about prejudices, right? Something happened to her.”

“You'll understand if I don't expand on the subject on her behalf, but you're right. She has her reasons. Still, it doesn't justify the way she treated you.”

            Sua observed silently Siyeon's demeanor. She was being sincere. It hadn't started well with Minji, but this explanation left some hope. If it wasn't about misconceptions, maybe she could learn to accept the vampire.

            She felt a familiar warmth curling around her ankles. She looked down to see Gahyeon looking up at her with those saddened eyes she had when she was worried.

            She was braving her fear of strangers for Sua's sake. Somehow that didn't soothe the vampire. Minji's words were having some effects on her. Was she really the right person to help the kitsune? She pushed back her chair a little to let the fox jump on her lap and started petting her.

“She sensed your distress. You two are really close,” Siyeon noted.

Sua looked at her, a bit surprised. “Do you know a lot about kitsunes?”

“Well, I was raised by one so I picked up a few things.”

“Right.” Sua was embarrassed by her own lack of discerning. “How was it, having Dong as a mom?”

            This felt like a good start. A nice way to share at the expanse of that old fox who liked to tease and wasn't afraid to set things straight. It was also a good way to get to know Siyeon better. The two engaged in a new conversation and slowly drew the tension away.

 

***

 

“What was that?”

            Han Dong was furious. She could have killed Minji with her stare alone. The young woman knew she had messed up. However, she still believed in the principle of her actions.

“Those are questions that need to be asked.”

“And you think you're the best person to ask them?”

            Minji stayed silent. There were many ways to deliver and receive the truth. Han Dong’s way was to throw it at people’s faces, forcing them to receive it at best with some form of composure, at worst with their dignity being hurt.

“Sua is my guest here. She saved Gahyeon and gave her a home. She came here on her own because she believed it was the best for that girl. I trust her and I won’t tolerate this kind of attitude towards her.”

            The red-head accepted the scolding. She had acted recklessly in a house that wasn’t hers and against someone who hadn’t done anything to her personally. Yet she couldn’t get rid of that feeling in her chest whenever she thought about that vampire being so close to a young, easily influenced, kitsune.

“But are you really sure that this is a good thing?”

“What is?”

“Having a vampire taking care of Gahyeon. Wouldn't it be better if you just took care of her and let Sua go back to Paris?”

“I'm not the one Gahyeon chose.”

“Who cares? She was lost and scared, she probably chose the first person who didn't try to kill her. Now that she's here, we can take care of her.”

“Believe me. Gahyeon isn't the one who's lost.”

            Minji’s brows furrowed in incomprehension at that enigmatic statement. Whatever she meant, the red-head understood that there was something else at stake that escaped her grasp. Her worries hadn’t disappeared, but she understood that she needed to back off.

            Han Dong observed her. She knew the reason why Minji hated vampires. She couldn’t force her to get over that trauma, that wasn’t what she was asking for. For the moment, acting decently would be just fine.

“Minji, I know it’s hard for you.” The kitsune continued with a softer tone. “If you can’t trust Sua for now, just trust me.”

“I will.”

            The two went back to the main room. Sua and Siyeon were laughing while Gahyeon listened to them with her ears put forward.

            Minji’s entrance brought its share of commotion. The young kitsune suddenly bristled while glaring in the woman’s direction. Seeing that scene, the red-head finally started to understand the bond Sua and Gahyeon had.

“I apologise for my behaviour. I shouldn’t have projected all my doubts on you like that.”

            Sua stared at the one who offended her with no specific intention written on her face. She wasn't quite sure she wanted to pretend it was fine.

            In front of her, Minji looked embarrassed. Her eyes ran away from her stare. Something told the vampire she was being sincere in her regrets. She remembered what Siyeon told her about the red-head having her reasons to hold vampires in such a bad light and decided to make a first step towards reconciliation.

“I accept your apology. I don’t know what happened to you in the past, but I’m sorry if people from my kind caused you pain.”

Minji's eyes finally looked at her. She was relieved. Relieved and willing to work this thing out.

“No, you shouldn’t bear that burden. You aren’t them.”

“Thanks.”

            They all sat again. Gahyeon calmed down but got closer against Sua, burrowing her face against her side. She sensed that something was wrong, but she didn't know what to do except trying to comfort her. Eventually she got used to having more than two people around her. She even seemed less aggressive toward Minji.

            Time went for the couple to leave. There were a lot of things that still needed to be said. Stories that needed to be told. Amends that needed to be made. The opportunity wouldn’t wait for too long.

 

----------------------------------------------------------

Sooooo... Jibo dynamic didn’t start off well 😅 We’ll learn more about that in the next chapter.

You can learn more about Singji by reading Under the Neon Lights if you want! 

Thank you for reading, and don't hesitate to share your reactions in the comments. 

Bye!