Aftertaste

Tigil
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Giselle calling...

Napatitig ako sa phone ko at muling napabuntong hininga. Giselle has been calling me for a week straight now. Nagpaplano kasi siya ng playdate for us four with her new boyfriend. Of course, I agreed. Except...

Giselle: Pick up the phone!
Giselle: I swear this is not about Jake

Si Jake yung tropa ng boyfriend ni Giselle na si Mark. She wants me to attend as Jake's date. The guy already agreed, he even messaged me if it's fine with me. I didn't know how to decline, I was kinda pissed that Giselle put me in that situation. 

Giselle: Okay it's really about Jake
Giselle: He's nice yk and very tall like your type
Giselle: Plus you said dancers are attractive so I know that you'll click

I can't remember when I said that. Even so, I don't think Jake is the person that comes to mind when it comes to my 'type'.

My phone vibrated again. One thing about Giselle, she just doesn't know when to stop.

Giselle: You don't have to like him tho
Giselle: Just get to know each other 

That's the thing, I don't want to try anything with someone who evince his intentions with me. We're not on the same page. Ano na lang iisipin ni Karina kapag pumayag ako sa date na 'to?

“Hey, what are you thinking?” nagulat ako nang may tumabi sa akin. Speaking of.. 

Napatingin ako sa relo ko.

“Ang aga naman ng out mo? Akala ko ba may practical test ka pa?” kinuha ko ang shoulder bag niya at agad inabot ang paper bag laman ang lunch niya, “Eat first.”

Agad naman niyang nilabas ang tupperware at ngumiti sa akin. “Thank you!” she cheered.

Bakas ang puyat at pagod sa mata ni Karina. I can't help but worry. Medyo busy talaga Tourism Department ngayon dahil sumabay ang exams sa culminating activity nila.


“I was so tired today. I had to wear a different heels because I left mine sa bahay. I'm glad may extra si Yeji.” 

“Eh? you should've messaged me para napick up ko.” I wiped her forehead down to her neck na basa ng pawis.

She flinched a little so I withdraw my hands. 

It's been four months since that kiss. After that night, she initiated a make out session the next day. Hindi na rin iyon nasundan. That's when something shifted between us.

We never talked about it again. What scares me is how she has been resistant to me. Inaalagaan ko na naman siya dati pa but she flinches every time I touch her. 

We both know that something changed. Hindi ko lang alam if it's good or it's making things worse. 

“I'll sleep over ulit sa house niyo this coming friday. Tita called last night. Bakit hindi mo sinabi na out of town siya ulit?” I looked away after asking.

“I don't have to, do I?”

“You have to. Don't tell me balak mo mag-isa ka sa bahay niyo for a week?” 

“That's the plan. You don't have to come over everytime Mom leaves,” she rolled her eyes at me.

“I don't think your Mom would appreciate that. Besides, we've been doing this since ever. What changed?” I frowned upon hearing her snicker. 

“I don't know. You tell me,” she said leaning over.

I was about to answer when she stood up.

She turned to look at me before talking, “It's almost time for your next class, puntahan ko lang si Giselle sa building nila.”

I just nodded.

---

Friday ngayon at susunduin ko si Ning sa school niya para sa group date that Giselle arranged.

I agreed to be Jake's date. If you're wondering why, I just wanted to prove something.

I thought hard about my situation with Karina. I want her to think that the kiss was just what we had in mind at first. Para lang iyon sa first kiss niya. Nothing more.

I want her to think that nothing changed. So I resorted to showing her that I can date. I am not up for her. 

I'm not dumb. I know that I have romantic feelings for my bestfriend. She's very sensible and I know that she caught on my conspicuous liking for her. 

I have to give her a thing or two that I won't make any advances with her. I just hope that being with Jake will convince her. I want us to go back to the way we used to. Hindi ko kakayanin kung tuluyang magbabago ang lahat sa amin.

Nagising ako sa pag-iisip nang may malakas na katok sa bintana ng passenger seat.

I unlocked the car para makapasok si Ning.

“Excited ka masyado! Ang OA ng katok mo.” Her laugh roared inside the car. 

Ning pouted,“True naman sa excited. Ngayon lang ako makakahinga. Or ang hirap lang talaga kasi wala na tayo sa iisang school.” May sepanx pa rin talaga 'to.

Grade 12 ABM student si Ning while the rest of us turning second year na sa college. 

N

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter