03/05/93

A White Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(A/N: Happy Seulrene day!)

 

Four: March 5, 1993

 

 

“Today marks my 5th day in town and my 1st day at the museum. I’ve done a little exploring these past few days, I’ve also met a few new townsfolk. Everywhere I went, everyone has been kind to me. Like the day at the market when that ahjussi included free sausages in my purchase, or the morning at the beach where I was jogging and then three ajummas that were casually strolling told me to stay healthy. One of them even told me that I look like a bear which makes me adorable, as they said. Do I really? I must take second glances at the mirror one of these days. And Irene, of course. I’ve been visiting the café every day since Monday, and she has been so kind to me each time. Two days ago, I came by for my usual cup of iced Americano and she gave me a piece of croissant for free. Yesterday, we had a lengthy conversation over coffee when I visited in the afternoon. It might just be the highlight of my week.

 

Aside from their iced Americano, I also tried their other drinks and pastries, and I just don’t understand how they’re not getting enough customers because everything in their menu tastes amazing. Since Monday, I’ve only encountered two to three other customers in the café each time I visited. Maybe I’m not just visiting at a livelier hour where most people are free to come by. 흰 밤 deserves more recognition and customers for sure.

 

Anyway, it was my first day on the job earlier. My boss, Sir Jung, immediately assigned me to a team project. We have to restore tons of recovered artworks for an exhibit that will be held next month in the museum. It’s hefty work, but it’s a team project so I feel confident that we’ll get the job done in time. Speaking of the team, I’ll be working with three other artists: Jongin Kim, Sehun Oh, and Krystal Jung. None of them came off as intimidating when I met them for the first time earlier. Well, except for Sehun. But all three of them were very welcoming and energetic, especially Jongin. As the project head, he’s the first person that Mr. Jung introduced to me. Jongin’s a pretty sensitive guy, as Mr. Jung said. But he’s a total perfectionist and team player, and he might just have the broadest shoulders that I have seen on a guy. He also has a bright smile, the type that would remind you of a diligent child. Krystal has a cold face, that’s the first thing I noticed about her. But beneath that cold exterior is a humorous personality. She reminds me a lot of Jennie to be honest. I can see that she’s closer to Jongin than Sehun because of their friendly banters. Lastly, Sehun. He’s the only person that I found intimidating. Maybe it’s because of the same cold expression that he shares with Krystal and the way he talks which is concise and a bit monotonous. It was only when the four of us began drinking at the pub that I began to hear him laugh and crack jokes. It is a Friday night, after all, that’s why Jongin invited us to drink. He said that it’s also the best way to welcome me into the team and company.

 

I feel a bit hot as I’m writing this, especially my face. It’s probably because of all the soju I drank earlier. But the almost drunken smile on my lips is caused by a completely different reason.”

 

 

She couldn’t count the paintings that they had to restore by hand. They came in five crates and Seulgi was sure that by the time they had restored all of them and on the day of the exhibition, there won’t be any empty spaces left in the museum. She’s certain that this project might call for all-nighters, countless cups of coffee, pain relief ointments, and even muscle patches. Her hands were already aching at the thought of all the work that had to be done.

 

“That’s it for today, everyone.” Jongin, their project head, declared. His hands were shimmering with the oil he used to restore a 24”x24” painting.

 

Seulgi slouched on her seat upon hearing Jongin’s announcement. With a huff, she felt the jolt of exhaustion all over her body, especially on her right hand which was now sore from exerting pressure with each repetitive she made on every painting.

 

“Oh, thank god,” Krystal said through a sigh. Seulgi noticed that her hands were just as dirty as hers and Jongin’s. Sehun was just silent, but the state of exhaustion was painted all over his body and face.

 

The four of them washed their hands all together on the huge sink at the far end of the studio. It’s the same kind of sink that surgeons would wash their hands in before they perform surgery at the hospital.

 

“It’s a Friday night,” Jongin trailed off as he dried his hands using a paper towel, “You guys wanna grab a few drinks at the pub?”

 

“’A few’? That’s rich coming from you.” Krystal chuckled with a playful eye roll.

 

“Says the woman who wanted to spend last Friday by drinking herbal tea. What are you? Eighty?” Jongin quickly shot back before smirking.

 

Krystal playfully splashed him with some soapy water. Jongin laughed as he dodged the woman’s harmless attacks.

 

“I’m in.” Sehun cut in, his eyes fixed on his hands. “You should come with, Seulgi.” He spared her a glance and for the second time that day, Seulgi saw him smile.

 

“Sehun’s right! It’ll be a more fun way to connect and welcome you to the company.” Krystal showed her a bright smile.

 

“What do you say, Seulgi? You in?” Jongin was raising his eyebrows at her expectantly. All three of them were looking at her now, just waiting for a response.

 

Seulgi knew she’d bring them down if she said no. But she didn’t even have to think about this because she was going to say yes. She wanted to know her co-workers better and indeed, it’ll be a more fun way to connect with one another, as Krystal said.

 

“I’m in.” Seulgi smiled just as brightly.

 

“Nice!” Jongin said excitedly.

 

“You made the right decision, Seulgi. Jongin’s covering the entire bill tonight, aren’t you Jongin?” Sehun smirked and wiggled his eyebrows at the broad-shouldered man who was now opening and closing his mouth. Seulgi refrained from laughing at Sehun’s goofy facial expression. He doesn’t seem very intimidating after all.

 

“Oh boss, won’t you take one for the team?” Krystal teased.

 

Jongin clicked his tongue, “You two always do this to me.” He said with a sigh, making Sehun and Krystal snicker. “Fine. But only for tonight and for Seulgi.” Jongin was quick to raise a finger with a stern look.

 

Krystal loudly whispered a victorious ‘Yes!’ while Sehun silently smirked as he continued to scrub his oily hands.

 

Seulgi wasn’t sure why, but something tells her that she was going to have a blast that night. This thought had her smiling to herself as she scrubbed the spaces between her fingers. Seulgi wasn’t going to lie; a buzz of excitement was already stirring within her when Sehun expressed that she made the right decision.

 

On their way to the pub, the four of them agreed to conduct a convoy because Seulgi didn’t know the directions to the place yet. Sehun led the way with his sleek motorbike while Jongin and Krystal rode with Seulgi in her Pony.

 

“Thanks again for letting me load my bike in your trunk, Seulgi.” Jongin said as he hopped on the backseat before closing the door.

 

Seulgi smiled at him through the rearview mirror, “Don’t mention it, Jongin.” She began to drive and follow Sehun on the road.

 

Before they left, Seulgi insisted that Jongin and Krystal rode with her in the Pony. First, because Krystal didn’t have other modes of transportation except for public transport that was hard to catch on clock out hours (or the uncomfortable backseat of Jongin’s bicycle that she turns down every time), and second, Jongin would grow exhausted if he pedaled from the museum all the way to the pub. He felt shy about loading his bicycle inside the Pony’s trunk when he had said yes to riding with Seulgi and Krystal at first. Jongin feared that his wheels might leave dust all over the interior of the car. However, Seulgi told him that she didn’t mind, and she meant this. It’s her kindness that eradicated Jongin’s guilt and shy façade. He now felt settled and grateful.

 

“So, Seulgi, have you explored the town at all yet?” Krystal’s voice superseded the music that was coming from the car radio with her question.

 

“I have, actually. But just a little. I was only able to visit a few establishments in the days that passed. Like the wet market, the restaurant with good jokbal, and 흰 밤. I’ve been to the beach, too.” Seulgi replied.

 

“Restaurant with good jokbal… sounds like Yuri noona’s place to me. Say, is the restaurant near 흰 밤?” Jongin asked.

 

“Yeah, like, 5 minutes away.”

 

Seulgi’s response confirmed Jongin’s speculation, “It is Yuri noona’s place. You should try their soft tofu stew! It’s their bestseller. I don’t know what Yuri noona puts in it, but each bite of it leaves me craving for more.”

 

“I agree. We should eat there again one of these days and give Seulgi a taste of heaven. What do you say?” Krystal subtly nudged Seulgi’s arm with a small smile. It was a weak and harmless motion, not enough to sway the latter’s arm and end up steering the wheel to throw them off their lane.

 

“I’m always up for food. Just give me guys a date.” Seulgi smiled back.

 

“Nice. A foodie and an artist, just like me. I like you already, Seulgi.” Jongin expressed from the back.

 

Seulgi beamed at him once more from the rearview mirror, “Why thank you, kind sir.” She said with a small salute of her two fingers.

 

“You said you’ve been to 흰 밤?” Krystal butted in.

 

Seulgi said ‘yes’ with a nod of her head.

 

“So, that means you’ve met Irene?”

 

Seulgi suppressed a smile that was attempting to form on her lips at the sound of Irene’s name which triggered memories of her in the days that passed.

 

“I have. She’s a really kind woman. She makes the best the coffee, too.”

 

“You can also thank Kyungsoo for that.” Jongin chimed in. “Have you met him? We went to school together. He and Irene noona make the perfect team in the kitchen.”

 

Seulgi nodded once, “He was very kind, too, and accommodating as well.”

 

She heard Jongin chuckle from behind her seat, “Sounds like Kyungsoo to me. That guy doesn’t change.”

 

“You know, I really like and admire how he’s being given the opportunity to work at a café even with his disability. It’s not every day that people like him are given the equality and inclusivity that they so rightfully deserve.”

 

Krystal nodded repeatedly in her seat, “That, you should commend Irene for. She’s got beautiful brown eyes and a heart of gold. The entire town is literally in awe of not just her ethereal beauty, but also her personality. She’s my ultimate girl crush.”

 

This time, Seulgi fought the urge not to giggle, specifically at Krystal’s last statement and especially out of giddiness at the mental image of Irene’s captivating brown eyes.

 

“Word. Irene noona’s like… the sweetheart of the town. She can get nominated for a Mother Teresa award and win it.”

 

Krystal burst out laughing and Jongin was puzzled by this.

 

“You and your words, Jongin.” She commented in between giggles.

 

“What? You don’t agree?” Jongin’s eyebrows were now close to reaching his hairline.

 

“I do, I do.” Krystal was quick to clear things up, “It’s just that… has anyone ever told you that you have a unique way around words? And a humorous one at that?” She glanced at Seulgi who kept her eyes on the road and was pleased to find a smirk playing on her lips.

 

“See? Even Seulgi agrees! Don’t you, Seulgi?”

 

Seulgi didn’t hold back the giggle that left her lips. With a nod, she answered, “That Mother Teresa part cracked me up, not gonna lie.”

 

Jongin snickered. “Well, it’s true.” He leaned back to rest his torso, his hands overlapping behind his rested head.

 

When they arrived at the pub, Sehun’s hair was a mess from the motorbike ride, Jongin was too excited to start drinking, Krystal was visibly opting to sing on stage with the karaoke, and Seulgi couldn’t wait to eat. They settled on a table that was near the jukebox and immediately placed their orders as soon as the waiter approached them.

 

“Two sojus, a bucket of beer… actually, make it three sojus, and a roast duck. That’d be all for me. What are you guys having?”

 

The four of them broke into fits of laughter including the waiter. Jongin’s humor is just as bright and contagious as his smile. Seulgi felt like he was beginning to know him better.

 

Sehun ordered a pot of doenjang-jjigae that’s good for the four of them while Krystal settled for the pub classic: kimchi jjigae. Seulgi ordered her usual favorite plate of fried dumplings.

 

The night got cozier and cozier with each story and drink they shared. As an introvert, Seulgi would have found this night out easily exhausting, especially for her social battery. That didn’t seem to be the case with these three. Turns out, all four of them were of the same age. This, together with the fact that they all share a passion for art, might be one of the biggest reasons why it was so easy for Seulgi to form a bond and connection with them. She might have felt shy and anxious to meet and work with new people at first, but now, that’s slowly starting to change. Seulgi was falling more and more in love with the night and the warmth from all the beer and laughter that continued to embrace her as the sky darkened.

 

Seulgi had her fair share of stories with Jongin, Sehun, and Krystal, and so did they. So far, she has learned that aside from working at the museum, Sehun also runs a motor shop with his older brother. They named it ‘MOTOH SHOP’ which Seulgi found witty. For a mischievous guy, Sehun’s pretty hilarious, too. Maybe even more hilarious than Jongin. He proved this by cracking jokes here and there as the four of them had their meal. This act of his continually obliterated Seulgi’s intimidating expression of him.

 

Then, there’s Jongin and Krystal. They’ve been friends since they were kids and they even took ballet classes together. They can’t say that they’ve been inseparable since then because when high school came, Krystal moved to the city to study. They were only able to meet again during college because Jongin’s university was in the city where Krystal was staying at. It took them a few years before they returned to their hometown. Their current jobs may not pay as much as the ones they had back in the city, but at least they don’t have to experience homesickness anymore. Most importantly, they were now pursuing a career in a field that they dearly love; art. And that’s all that mattered to them.

 

“What about you, Seulgi?” Jongin asked after telling his and Krystal’s story, “Where did you study in college?”

 

Seulgi was feeling a lot warmer now because of the continuous intake of alcohol. After downing another shot, she answered, “SNU.”

 

Her three co-workers suddenly had their jaws on the ground.

 

When she looked up from her now empty glass, Seulgi found all her workmates staring at her with wide eyes.

 

“What?” She asked, confused.

 

“For real?” Jongin’s amusement was marked by the way his jaw was hanging in the air. Seulgi could only nod in response.

 

“What program did you finish?” Krystal asked excitedly.

 

“Oriental painting.”

 

“Damn,” Sehun whispered loudly. It’s not like he was hiding his amusement anyway. Seulgi stayed mum, unsure of what to say to her newfound friends.

 

“That’s really impressive.” Krystal smiled widely at Seulgi until her face got distorted into a semi-confused look, “But why?”

 

Seulgi furrowed her brows, “Why what?”

 

“You could have opted to work in the city where the salary’s much better than here… and hailing from SNU, I think it’ll be easy to land a job anywhere there. So, why’d you choose to settle in t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter