03/02/93

A White Night
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Three: March 2, 1993

 

 

“Son and Kim. Those are the last names of the two kindest people I have met today. The best part is: they’re my neighbors. They came up to my doorstep a little after 10 am with packed food in their hands. Welcoming and housewarming gifts, they said. Wendy Son, the smaller of the two and whose presence feels like sunshine, was smiling the whole time. She gave me a big bowl of curry together with a small basket of mini croissants after she introduced herself. Turns out, cooking’s her hobby but as she said, she’s more of a baker. Wendy seems kind and polite. I feel like she’ll be easy to get along with. Jennie Kim seems a bit intimidating on the other hand. Maybe it’s because of her cold exterior and fierce, cat-like eyes. My first impression of her didn’t last though. Because the smile she showed me when I thanked her for the fruit basket was just as jolly as Wendy’s. In turn, her eyes have turned into the shape of a crescent moon from their then fierce appearance. Jennie’s a bit of a joker too. I think she’ll be easy to get along with as well. Before we bid our goodbyes, the two of them said that maybe we could grab a few drinks sometime during the weekend. I said I’d love to, and they replied with pleased smiles. Seems like my first weekend here is already occupied. I wouldn’t have it any other way anyway.

 

I ate their welcoming gifts for breakfast. To my delight, there’s a whole pack of shine muscats in the fruit basket that Jennie gave me. That brightened up my day a little bit. After my meal, I was set to head to the market to buy some veggies and produce so I can fill up my fridge before I start work on Friday. However, I still wanted coffee. It’s the very thing I can’t live without, especially after every meal. So, as I hopped inside my Pony, I didn’t hesitate to make a quick stop at 흰 밤. However, when I got there, the sight that greeted me wasn’t what I was expecting.”

 

 

 

Seulgi fumbled with her car keys when she saw a young man sweeping the café’s floor with his back to her. He was wearing a pair of headphones that were connected to the Walkman attached to the belt of his cargo pants. He didn’t stop sweeping even after Seulgi had opened the door and hit the hanging chimes on the doorframe. Miss Barista was nowhere to be found. It was just Seulgi and this responsible young man who was cleaning the place with a passion.

 

Seeing that he still hasn’t noticed her, Seulgi decided to gently tap him on the shoulder. The young man turned around with a flinch. Seulgi saw how his wide eyes softened when he saw her and, in an instant, he began repeatedly bowing to her while uttering something that Seulgi couldn’t quite catch.

 

“Good day.” Seulgi reciprocated the kind gesture even if she felt puzzled.

 

In a hurry, the young man pulled his headphones down to his neck, letting them hang there before he grabbed a pocket-sized notebook from his jeans. It puzzled Seulgi, even more, when he began browsing through a couple of pages. But when he showed Seulgi a certain note, everything became clear to her.

 

 

Good day/evening

 

Welcome to 흰 밤.

 

I am one of the baristas who can serve you.

 

I am mute but not deaf so please call for and talk to me as you usually do.

 

I hope you can be patient with me.

 

Thank you for your understanding.

 

 

Upon reading this, Seulgi didn’t hesitate to show him a pursed smile together with a small nod of her head. “I understand.” She said.

 

The young man smiled back and then turned to the next page.

 

 

You may call me Kyungsoo.

 

 

Seulgi nodded once more which signaled Kyungsoo to turn to the following page.

 

 

May I take your order?

 

 

“One iced americano, please. Thank you, Kyungsoo.” Seulgi politely said.

 

 

A nod and another turn of a page.

 

 

Anything else?

 

 

Seulgi shook her head, “That would be all. Thank you.” She thanked Kyungsoo once more.

 

At Seulgi’s thanks, Kyungsoo bowed once again before he made his way behind the counter to brew his customer’s order.

 

As Seulgi took her seat on one of the barstools, she thought that her encounter with Kyungsoo was unusual yet heartwarming. Unusual because it was her first time to meet and interact with a mute person yet heartwarming because of the thought that even with Kyungsoo’s disability, he was still given the opportunity to work in this café.

 

Seulgi wondered where Miss Barista was while she waited for her order. She has already looked around and through the window that led to the backyard of the café but she was nowhere to be found. Maybe she was upstairs?

 

Her curiosities were paused when Kyungsoo slid his open notebook towards her space, revealing another marked page.

 

 

For here or to go?

 

 

“To go please,” Seulgi answered.

 

Kyungsoo had her cold cup of iced americano ready within minutes. Seulgi expressed her endless thanks after she paid for her drink. She had everything she needed in her hands but deep down, something was still lacking. This she knew. If Seulgi were to be honest, the purpose of her visit wasn’t just to grab a cup of her usual post-meal fix. It was also for the hopes to see Miss Barista in the light of day because Seulgi had been captivated by her the night before and because she herself had told Seulgi to come again today, and she did show up.

 

It seemed like Seulgi was going to frequent the café now not just because of the beautiful barista but because it was the only coffee place in town. She hoped that on her next visit, her café experience will be a complete one.

 

“Kyungsoo, I’ll probably be back after lunch. Do you need anything? I can grab them for you.”

 

Just like that, the need to hope was no longer necessary for Seulgi.

 

She knew that it was the beautiful barista who was talking behind her.

 

Seulgi subtly glanced back and saw the very woman that she’s been looking forward to seeing since she walked past the doors of the café. A glance was enough for her; enough to internally make her smile, enough to complete her café experience of the day.

 

 

“You came.”

 

 

She was wrong.

 

Because having the chance to talk to Miss Barista can never compare to her subtle glances.

 

Upon turning around, Seulgi finally saw the same face that warmed up her night yesterday. The small yet captivating smile on her lips had Seulgi standing firm in her place.

 

“I did.” Seulgi mirrored the beam that was shot her way, “Can’t really function properly throughout the day without this cup of magic right here.” She raised her cup a bit with a chuckle.

 

“You’re welcome to have your coffee fix here anytime.” Miss Barista remarked. Her eyes trailed to the man next to her, “I see you’ve met Kyungsoo?”

 

“Ah, I did,” Seulgi answered with a nod. “He was very accommodating. Thank you, Kyungsoo.” She raised her glass to the young man who was polishing the counter. Kyungsoo bowed to her for the nth time that day as a response and acknowledgment of her gratitude.

 

“Heading somewhere?” Seulgi can’t help but ask when she spotted a massive canvas bag hanging from Miss Barista’s grip.

 

The latter nodded in return, “I need to grab some supplies from the market. How ‘bout you? Any plans?”

 

“What a coincidence. I happen to be heading to the same place. Perhaps, I can give you a lift?” Seulgi offered.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter