Chapter 4

It Gets Cold at the Top

Zinnia shook her head. "Hell no."
She turned around and stormed out to the exit.

"Zinnia? Wait!" Jaehyun said as he followed her. He grabbed her arm and spun her around.

"Jaehyun let go! I'm not doing this!" She cried, struggling to get out from his grasp.

Jaehyun would grab her shoulders and look straight at her. "Zinnia, calm down.."

Zinnia was breathing hard and was on the verge of tears. She was so frustrated.

"What did that girl do to you?" Jaehyun said, clearly confused with why she was so triggered.

Zinnia was catching her breath and trying her best to calm down. "She...She just hates me. And I don't know why.." she said, shaking her head slowly.

"Well, what did you do?" He said, now letting her go.

Zinnia shrugged and sighed. "I just feel like she's so jealous of me. She's always so bitter and she makes me feel like the villain!" She said, now pacing around.

Jaehyun looked at her and nodded in understanding. "Well, then prove to her that you're not."

Zinnia gave him a crazy look. "I'm pretty sure she doesn't want me to participate."

"If you don't do it, then I won't either. Let's go tell her then." Jaehyun said, putting his hand out for her.

Zinnia walked past him towards the backstage. Jaehyun chuckled and followed after her.

The two would walk back into the auditorium and towards Daphne.

Daphne would cross her arms and gave her attention to Jaehyun.

"I'm so sorry, but she can't participate." She said calmly, not even glancing at Zinnia.

"If she can't do it, then I won't."

Phoebe, who was behind Daphne, turned so quickly and gasped. "No! We need them Daph. Especially Jaehyun. Don't do this."

Daphne would roll her eyes and look at Zinnia, who had a smirk on her pretty brown face.

"Okay, but don't try me." She said, now turning around. "Phoebe, measure them quickly." She said as she walked away.

Jaehyun smiled down at Zinnia. "Don't forget what I said."

Zinnia sighed. "Yeah, yeah. Whatever."

Phoebe would do Jaehyun's measurements first. "So, are you a junior here?" She said.
Jaehyun nodded. "Yeah, I'm a chemistry major. I just transferred here."

"Ohh, nice! I'd love to be your friend if you need any." Phoebe said, grinning. Grinning a little too hard in Zinnia's opinion.

Zinnia was seated not too far from them, but could barely hear their conversation. She looked over to her right and saw Daphne sorting through the outfits.

Daphne was laser-focused on her work. "I never knew this was her career choice." She said to herself.

"Haha, thank you Jaehyun. Just saying, I'm down if you are!" She said and winked.

Jaehyun smiled. "No problem." Jaehyun was definitely cringing internally.

"Zinnia, it's your turn pretty girl!" Phoebe said.


Zinnia smiled and went towards her. "You're too sweet, stop." She said then giggled.


Jaehyun smiled when she giggled. Seeing her happy was such a sight to him.

"I'm just stating facts love, let's get this done," Phoebe said and started measuring her.

A few minutes later, Phoebe finished with Zinnia and the two of them left.

"See, that wasn't too bad, right?" Jaehyun said as they walked outside.


"Yeah yeah...But thanks for comforting me earlier, I appreciate that." Zinnia said and looked at Jaehyun.

Jaehyun saw the sincerity in her eyes and smiled. "Of course, it's no problem. I'm always here if you need any help."

Zinnia sighed deeply. She didn't deserve his kindness at all.
"I thought he was just a lunkhead loverboy. He's actually a nice guy.."

"Thank you Jaehyun. I think I should go now." She said, adjusting her bag on her shoulder."
Jaehyun rubbed his head. "Oh, really? I was gonna ask if you wanted to get ice cream with me.." He said.

Zinnia's guilt was starting to get the best of her. She did not want to keep leading him on.

"I'm not forcing you by the way, haha." He said to break the silence.

"Thanks for the offer, I think I have a tutoring session tonight anyways. I'll see you soon.." She said and walked away to her car.

"See ya.." Jaehyun said and waved. When she turned her back, Jaehyun sighed and got in his car.



Later that night.

Zinnia rolled on her bed and stuffed some chips in . She was watching her favorite movie, Wall-E.

Suddenly her friend Kelly walked in.

"Oh, you're back. But where from exactly?" Zinnia said, putting her laptop away.

"Basketball Practice! I went and cancelled those client appointments. Coach says I might be able to play if I get the new plays down in a month!" Kelly said, now laying down next to her.

"Damn! That's amazing Kellz! Seriously. I can't wait to see my bestie on the court again." Zinnia said, now playing with Kelly's long black locs.

Kelly was beautiful, she was Black and Mexican and had beautiful caramel skin. "How was the fashion thing with Daphne?"


"Uhh.. not too bad. But I feel so guilty. I don't want to play with Jaehyun's feelings anymore, he's too nice." Zinnia ranted.

"Zinnia, I literally warned you about this. Looks like you're gonna clean your own mess." Kelly said and rolled her eyes.

"I know... But at least we aren't dating. I just need to avoid him."

"I'm so glad you're over this GPA thing.."

"No, I'm not actually. I just need to find another way."

Kelly looked at her and laughed. "Of course, why did I assume you'd be over it."

Zinnia giggled and put her finger on her lip. "Hmm... Maybe I should date his friends."

"Great idea!" Kelly cheered sarcastically. 
"Oh, you really think so?" Zinnia asked

"....Hell no girl! Just leave the boy alone." Kelly said.

Zinnia took out her phone and looked at Kelly." I know Jaehyun has two other friends. How about you, Jordan, and I hang with his friends?"

"Uhh...I don't wanna entertain your ideas."


"Please! Maybe Jordan will fall for Jaehyun. , maybe even you. You never met him anyways."


"Zinnia, I prefer to date girls these days."
"Okay, he might change your opi-"
Kelly cut her off by flicking her forehead. "I can't stand you!"

Zinnia giggled and pushed her arm. "Whatever, I'm gonna call him now."

"I hope he declines, seriously," Kelly said, rolling her eyes.

Zinnia dialed Jaehyun's phone and giggled.

"Hey Jaehyun."

"What's up Zinnia, you changed your mind, haha." He said. Jaehyun was home, sitting at his computer.

"Haha, actually. Is it cool if my friends and your friends got to hang together soon?"

Jaehyun lifted her eyebrow. "Uhh, sure. What did you have in mind?"

"Uhh... Bowling?"

"Ohh, I love bowling. Let's do it."

"Awesome. How about tomorrow?" Zinnia asked.

"Sure, why did you want to do this suddenly?"


"Umm.." Zinnia thought for a moment.

"I just... I honestly feel a bit uncomfortable just hanging with only you. But I would like to get to know you better, so I thought it would be nice if I bring my friends to feel more comfortable."

Kelly whipped her head at Kelly and had a baffled look.

"Oh. I definitely understand you Zinnia. I'll see you tomorrow then."

"Yeah, I'll see you."

"By the way, thanks for letting me know you felt uncomfortable. I don't want to overstep boundaries, to be honest. I joke about it a lot, but it's true."

"Yeah, I get it...Uh, see you soon, bye."

"Goodnight Zinnia." Jaehyun hung up.

Zinnia put her phone down and sighed. "I just did it again."

"Yeah, you did. And like I said, you're gonna clean your own mess. I'll still come tomorrow though, I wanna meet this Jaehyun." She said and left the room.

Zinnia looked down at her lap. She was starting to have her regrets.