Chapter 3

It Gets Cold at the Top

Zinnia walked into her dorm and yelled for her best friend.

"KELLY!" 

When Zinnia walked in, she immediately felt embarrassed when she saw an unfamiliar face in the living room. Kelly was doing someone's hair.

"So sorry..." Zinnia said. Kelly and her client just giggled. 

"You're good Zi. Sorry, she was a last-minute squeeze in. I should've told you." She said, finishing one big knotless braid.

Zinnia went to the fridge to get a juice box and some chips. "No, it's fine. This style is really going to suit you." She said to the girl on the chair. She was short and lightskin and her hair was dyed red.

She smiled. "Thank you! But you're super pretty. I recognize you from somewhere." She said. She had a heavy Brooklyn accent.

Zinnia lifted her brow. "Maybe the BSU Club.."

The client's face lit up. "Yeah! You were about to figh- wait. Sorry... I shouldn't have mentioned that."

Kelly looked at her client with wide eyes. But, Zinnia just shrugged.

"No, it's whatever. I didn't even remember that until now." Kelly looked at Zinnia and smirked, she knew she was lying.

"Damn, we love a badass, haha. I'm Jordan by the way."

"It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Zinnia." She said before taking a sip of her juice.

"Kelly, remember that weirdo I told you about? He's won't tell me his damn GPA, but he kind of has a thing for me... So guess what?" 

"..Your gonna mess with his feelings huh?" Kelly said, rolling her eyes.

Zinnia chuckled. "When you say it like that, you make me seem evil-"

"Again, you are such a badass, haha," Jordan interjected.

"Haha, I know. But yeah, I gave him my number. Should I hang out with him tomorrow?"

"Hell no! Don't break the boy's heart. It's just a GPA for crying out loud." Kelly said.

"It's not just the GPA, I'm trying to keep my reputation."

"Even if it's higher than yours, what can you do about it?" Kelly said, still braiding Jordan's hair.

"I'll make him fail a class or something. Im gonna be his cutest distraction." Zinnia said, smirking as she ate a chip.

"You know what, go ahead. But this is gonna backfire." Kelly said, shrugging her shoulders.

"This is crazy....Gimmie your number, I wanna stay updated on this." Jordan said, passing Zinnia her phone.

Zinnia giggled. "Of course." 

"What's the boy's name?"

"Jaehyun Jung." She said as she typed in her number.

"Whoah. If he's Asian, he might be in my Health Professions class. He's super smart, and his family is super successful." She said, now getting her phone from Zinnia. "Are you serious?"

"Mhmm. And he is soooo fine! I don't think he's weird at all." Jordan said.

"See how she overcomplicates things Jordan? I'm sure he's a nice guy." Kelly said, glaring at Zinnia. 

"He is nice. But he's my competition."

Kelly rolled her eyes. "Go do your homework or something, I need to focus." 

Zinnia would stick her tongue out and went to her room.


Jaehyun, Mark, and Johnny decided to get dinner at a sports grill and watch a basketball game.

"So you got MY bae's number? How dare you?" Mark said, stuffing fries in his mouth.

"No, she gave it to me," Jaehyun said, smiling.

"Whatever. Let's just watch the game please."

"Sheesh, Johnny really hates her, hahaha," Mark said.

"Yup, she's a demon." Johnny said, his eyes still on the TV.

Jaehyun shrugged. "She just needs a wake-up call. But just I really love her vibe, I don't know.."

"Ew, we get it." Mark said.

Moments later, a few girls would sit near Jaehyun at the bar.

"Yeah, we need more models. Like two more." Said a girl with a curly ponytail in the group.

"Ohh, how about the smart girl on the school's website...Zeenia I think? She's really pretty. And she's well known." One girl with blonde hair and green eyes cheered.

"Zinnia? no, she's hell to work with. Trust me." The curly headed girl said, shaking her head.

Jaehyun heard everything they were saying. But he just looked down at his food. "She's really infamous here huh.." He thought to himself.

Johnny nudged Jaehyun. "You heard that? I tried to tell you..."

Jaehyun shook his head. "If anything, she might just be going through some stuff." He said quietly. He continued to eat his food and look at the game.

"Oh, look at him. He's handsome... Recruit him." The girl with the curly hair said.

The blonde girl waved at Jaehyun and smiled at him.

"Hey, I'm Phoebe. We're doing a fashion show for our collection in two weeks at UF and I was hoping you were interested in joining?" She said, still smiling.

"Oh, that sounds pretty nice. I'm a student at UF anyways. Why not?" Jaehyun said.

"Awesome, can I get your email right here?" She said and gave him a clipboard to write on.

Jaehyun took the clipboard and signed it. "Wait, if I do this, can I also bring a friend to participate?" 

"Uh sure, you think they're qualified for this?"

"Of course, trust me." Jaehyun said with a smirk.

"With a face like yours, I trust you. Haha." Phoebe said.

Jaehyun laughed as he wrote the person's number down. "Here you go, thanks."

"No, thank you!" Phoebe said, now facing her friend. Johnny turned to Jaehyun and laughed. "Damn bro, you actually put my number down without asking me?" 

"I didn't put your number Johnny.."

"Oh , you put my number? This is such an honor bro!" Mark said.

"No! I'll just tell you later." Jaehyun said and winked at them.

Johnny's smile dropped into an annoyed face. "You are a menace Jaehyun."

Jaehyun smirked. "I know."


The next day.

Today was Saturday and Zinnia was cleaning her room. Kelly would walk into Zinnia's room, and sit on her bed. 

"Ugh, I have 3 clients today. I'm so tired." She said, scratching her long black locs.

"Damn, but it's good money, right?"

"Yeah. But I forgot that basketball practice today was mandatory. Coach is gonna kill me..." Kelly said.

Kelly was a sports medicine major, but she is also on the girl's basketball team. She took last season off since she had an injury last year. But she's all healed up this semester. 

"Just say your foot hurts." 

"Haha, and then she makes another doctor appointment for me? I'll pass."

Zinnia chuckled. "Do what's important to you."

Zinnia phone went off. She checked and saw it was Jaehyun. 

Ugh.

"Hello?"

"Hey, how are you doing."

"Good."

"...."

"Damn, I'm doing great, thanks for asking. Haha." Jaehyun joked.

Zinnia smiled. "Why did you call?"

"Well, I signed both of us up for a fashion show. It's hosted by a girl that doesn't like you, but she doesn't know it's you."

Zinnia took a minute to process all he said.

"Why the hell did you do that?"

"Because I want them to know that you're not mean. And you're gorgeous anyways, you should have some modeling experience. "

Zinnia's cheeks got hot. He had a way with words.

"You there?"

"Sorry, but no. Ask someone else."

"They need people. I made a promise. So I'll see you today at 3 pm for the measuring and fitting. Meet me at the auditorium. " Jaehyun said and hung up.

Zinnia stood there in shock. "He's such an idiot..."

Kelly looked over at Zinnia and tilted her head. "What happened?" 

"I'm doing a fashion show against my will by Jaehyun." She said, now leaning on the wall.

Kelly blinked a couple of times. "Uhh.. that sounds fun. What's the problem?"

Zinnia's eye would twitch. 

"JAEHYUN! He's the problem girl. I can't stand being around him!!" She said, now stuffing her face in her pillow in frustration.

Zinnia just had a little mental breakdown and Kelly had to witness it. Sadly.

"This was your idea to entertain him, have fun with that," Kelly said and left to her own room.

Zinnia rolled on her back and sighed. It was time for her to get ready.


Zinnia walked out of her car and fixed her yellow mini bodycon dress. She started making her way to the auditorium, already feeling frustrated. 

At the entrance, she saw a tall figure. It was Jaehyun. 

Jaehyun wrote a simple black dress shirt and black jeans. Zinnia had to admit, he was so good-looking. Jaehyun raised his eyebrow and smiled. "That color looks great on you."

"Thanks. You look nice." Zinnia smiled. Jaehyun really boosted her confidence any chance he could.

"You not shocked that I came?" Zinnia said as she walked inside.

Jaehyun shook his head. "No, you're not that mean." Zinnia tilted her head. "Why do you say these things like you know me?"

"I'm just observing. You really don't seem like a mean person, seriously."

Zinnia felt her face getting warm. But she just shook her head. 

Soon, they made it to the area of the fashion show. It was backstage. There were about 10 models and a bunch of people working on them.

But Zinnia was shocked when she made eye contact with someone that was giving orders.

It was Daphne...