Chapter 2

It Gets Cold at the Top

Zinnia admired herself in her bathroom mirror.

"I am smart, beautiful, and black." She would say these affirmations every day to herself. She'd lose her mind if she didn't, that how's stressed she was.

She gave her afro puff a few more picks. She was dressed in a white long sleeve cropped tee and a black bodycon maxi skirt. She paired her outfit with her black Docs. Zinnia made her way to her Anatomy class, her favorite. She wants to be a neurosurgeon, so of course it was.

Soon, she would take her seat at the front of the class and took out her phone. She noticed Kelly's text from last night and texted her back.

I didn't see ur text, love you and sorry. 9:16 am

Kelly has been Zinnia's friend since they were in elementary school. She's like her sister at this point. Zinnia could never stay mad at her for long.

Zinnia looked up at the board, still waiting for the Professor to come so they could have their usual chat before the lecture. But her face turned real sour when she saw a familiar face. 

"Since when were you in this class?" She said, sizing him when he took a seat right next to her. 

"I've always sat at the back, but since you're my new friend I should sit next to you now." Jaehyun said, taking his MacBook out.

"Uh uh, no. You gotta sit somewhere else." She said, looking dead at him, she didn't want to fool with him.

Jaehyun just smiled. "I won't do you any harm, I just wanna get to know you. You seem really cool." Jaehyun said, looking back at her.

Zinnia was taken back, no one ever told her that. She rose her eyebrow. "What makes you say that?"

"Well, you're insanely smart." He said, with a smile. 

Jaehyun was being too nice, she was getting suspicious. 

"I know...But I won't let your compliments sway my view of you. Since you don't wanna leave, I'll leave then-"

"Good morning students, sorry for the delay..." The Professor says, cutting Zinnia off.

Zinnia slowly sat back down and glared at Jaehyun. "You're gonna regret this."

Jaehyun just smirked and turned away from her.

Zinnia was fully invested in the professors lecture. Not paying mine to Jaehyun.

Jaehyun was distracted and just kept looking at Zinnia. Her notes were detailed and organized. She never took her phone out or even glanced away from the board. And whenever she had a question, she never hesitated to ask the professor.

"She's really hardworking.." Jaehyun thought.

Jaehyun's notes were everywhere and he was always on his phone. But, Jaehyun was just naturally smart and picked up on things easily. He was getting bored and started to tap his pencil on her journal to get her attention.

Zinnia didn't even notice until she looked down at her notebook to take some notes. She would hit her pencil on Jaehyun's finger. 

"Ow!" He said. She didn't say anything.

He shook his finger. Then continued to bother her by the tapping on her notebook. Zinnia turned her head and glared at him. "What's your problem?" She said quietly.

"I'm bored."

Zinnia’s eye would twitch. "Class is basically over. It's literally just 50 minutes." She said, rolling her eyes.

"See you guys on Monday, thank you for attending!" The Professor said while everyone was leaving. 

"Jae, stay here." Zinnia said as she'd put her stuff in her bag. "I need to talk to you privately."

Jaehyun's raised his eyebrow and sat down. "Sure thing. You didn't even has to ask me Zinnia."

After all the students and the Professor left the classroom, she turned to him. "Are you a Junior?" Jaehyun nodded his head.

"Oh, okay. What's your GPA?"

Jaehyun laughed quietly. "I know where this is going. Did you hear everything my friends were saying yesterday?"

"Yes! Now answer my question." She said, crossing her arms.

"I'm not obligated to tell you. Just know that is really not that big of a deal as you deem it to be." Jaehyun said, now getting up.

Zinnia scowled and stood up, now grabbing his shoulder. "Hey, it may not be that way to you, but it's really important to me. I don't like competition."

"As I said, it's not that important Zinnia." Jaehyun said, turning to her.

Zinnia glared at him. "To you."

Jaehyun sighed. "I gotta go Zinnia, I have class soon."

"Whatever." She said, now walking out of the class. Maybe she didn't have to waste her time on him.

"Zinnia!" Jaehyun shouted. Zinnia stopped in her tracks and turned around, rolling her eyes "What do you want?

"Can get your number?" He said with a smirk. Zinnia rolled her eyes.

But in an instant, she had an idea. And it was a good one.

"Gimmie your phone." She said with her hand out.

Jaehyun was intrigued. He didn't expect her to do it. "Really? Look at you, being nice for once." He said sarcastically, laughing a bit as he gave her the phone.

Zinnia would put her number in and hand it back. "I can't deny the fact that you're a nice person... I guess." She said before leaving.

Zinnia left with a sly smile. She got a notification on her phone and took it out. It was from Jaehyun. 

Its Jaehyun. Just checking to see if you gave me a fake number, Zinnia. 10:37 am

Lol. It's me, hey Jae. 10:37 am

Zinnia would put her phone in her bag and make her way to her next class, she couldn't wait to home and see Kelly. She had too much tea to spill.