invitation (to dream of you)

even if the moonlight disappears (we will be together)

🗡🗡🗡

part one.

🗡🗡🗡

Lady Yoohyeon of Vembert may have been a minor noble, but she was certainly a noble of pure, brave heart. Knighted at eighteen, the young lady rose up in ranks among the knights in blistering speed that'd never been possible before. Just seven years in service of Her Majesty, she was already responsible for the protection of the Queen at a personal level. She was one of the knights of the Queen's Own, an honour bestowed upon very few capable knights.

Loved by many—including by the Queen of Privia herself—Yoohyeon was a warm, kind person, always eager to help those who are in need, living true to the knight's oath she had taken.

Donned in her knight's garb and armour lined with cured leather and fur, Yoohyeon was a mighty sight, and she stood with a huge presence. When she was out of her armour however, she wore a beautiful smile and radiated sunny warmth alike her golden coat of arms.

Lady Minji of Noveron however, was the exact opposite of Lady Yoohyeon. She was a rather cold person, and often was seen with a glare, striking fear to those who dared to meet her eyes. While she was smaller in stature when compared to Yoohyeon, her presence in her armour and Noveron's light purple coat of arms was somehow bigger than the other lady knight, commanding attention and respect from everyone in the same room as her.

Not much was known about the lady knight. She was rather closed off as a person, with naught a shadow of a good friend in the castle except for her royal companion—Her Majesty the Queen. Ghostly pale, Minji usually worked as the Queen's protector at night, watching over Her Majesty and ensuring her safety until the sun emerged in the morning, when she would transfer her duty over to Yoohyeon, or to one of the other Queen's Own knights.

Unknown to many of the castle's inhabitants, the two lady knights grew up closely together, since they made their high society debut at eight years old, even spending years as pages and squires tied to one another in training. However, they could hardly be called friends. One could perceive them as sisters in arms, perhaps a connection that was a degree lower than that of a mutual friendship.

However, Lady Yoohyeon, for one, would love to nurture their relationship further than that. She had been fond of Lady Minji since the time they first met at the wee age of eight, wearing formal evening dresses, and then later at twelve, wearing their new page's robes.

Their years training to be a knight were... troublesome, for a lack of better terms. They were both very talented in combat, be it with melee or ranged weapons, were excellent riders, and they were also both very intelligent. They excelled in both theory and practice, and soon enough they were the top prospects, getting plenty of attention from many senior knights looking to train a squire.

As the young women were constantly pitted against each other as some sort of rivals, they rarely spent time together in their days training and performing errants. Yoohyeon could count on one hand of instances where she was partnered with Minji for any sort of duties.

(Somehow Yoohyeon shared the duty of weeding the fields with Minji the most. Poor Yoohyeon could barely fill in a conversation with Minji on any other day, much less while they were busy t and pulling off stubborn grass.)

And so Yoohyeon watched from afar, with what little chances and glances she could get, as Minji matured beautifully over time. She too, bloomed rather spectacularly. Within a few years, Yoohyeon was towering over the other woman, then their years as page and squire passed, and then the two women were knighted after six long years of training and noble education.

Now, seven years after being knighted, they were still far from being considered close to each other.

Queen Yubin would not have any of that happening in her courts after so long. She could no longer bear the sight of Yoohyeon gazing longingly at Minji in the fleeting moment they usually met as they changed their watch.

Why was one of her royal knights so totally oblivious while the other was too meek to make an advance? Did she really need to meddle with their affairs for them to make some progress?

Well, if she had to, she could. And she would.

"Lady Minji," Queen Yubin called urgently before the knight could leave her study at the break of dawn—already finished with her night watch. "Please stay, I have matters to discuss with you. It is quite important."

Minji her heels at the call, and returned to Yubin for an audience, giving the Queen her full attention. "Yes, Your Majesty?"

"As I'm sure you are already aware, we're having a bit of a bandit trouble down south."

Minji nodded, recalling the information passed to her in the dead of night by a sentry. "Yes, I've been briefed on the matter."

"Good. An advance scouting party has already been dispatched, I believe. Anyways, I've given it a long thought, and I want you to lead the follow up main force to suppress the threat, alongside Lady Yoohyeon."

"Your Majesty?" Yoohyeon was in shock, to say the least. She was just hovering around awkwardly in the Queen's study—studying the bustling courtyard outside that's littered with market-goers—not quite expecting to be included in the discussion. She had no idea the Queen had such a plan hatched at the ready. While Yoohyeon had also been briefed on the bandit issue, she'd never thought she'd be a part of a force sent to subdue it, especially not with Minji in the lead alongside her.

Minji shot the other lady knight an astute look. "When would you like us to leave, my Queen?"

"As soon as you're rested, packed, and picked a squadron of ten soldiers to go with you," the Queen's order was clear and concise. "I don't wish to let the bandits have the chance to terrorise more villages and hurt more of my people. You should make haste with your preparations. I will find your replacement for both your castle duties by myself, so you do not have to worry about that. Just focus on the task at hand."

Minji gave the Queen a quick bow. "I understand," then she met Yoohyeon's keen, observing eyes. "Lady Yoohyeon, while you are on duty protecting Her Majesty today, would you mind if I, alone, handle the recruitment of the ten soldiers to accompany us on our errant?"

Yoohyeon gulped a little, trying to look calm. Truthfully, she was so nervous that Minji was suddenly addressing her directly. "I do not mind, Lady Minji. Please recruit them as you see fit."

"You have my thanks." 

With that, Minji promptly left the Queen's study after being dismissed, leaving the other two women in the room with a delicate shut of the door.

Yubin eyed her knight with a knowing look. "Please do not tell me that's the longest conversation you've had with Minji in a while."

Yoohyeon at least had the decency to look embarrassed. "It is, it's been three weeks since we went beyond simple greetings."

"Goddess help you in the coming days, Yoohyeon. You're even more hopeless than I thought."

When Yoohyeon thought about the upcoming days of marching and fighting with Minji, she felt lightheaded and slightly faint.

She was hopeless alright.

 

🗡🗡🗡

 

Yoohyeon was busy packing her weapon and equipments when she heard the soft knock on her quarters' door. She rushed to answer it and froze on the spot, her door opened halfway to reveal Lady Minji on the other side of the castle walls.

"Good evening," Minji, wearing her noble house's sleek tunic, greeted the knight frozen at the door, her right eyebrow raised in a questioning manner. "Lady Yoohyeon, are you alright?"

Yoohyeon snapped to attention, fully opening her door this time. "Oh, aye, 'm fine. Good evening, Ser. To what do I owe this pleasure?"

"I merely wish to go over the roster with you," Minji answered, brandishing a scroll from her regal tunic. "Make sure you're fine with the choices I've made. They are going to be our companions for a relatively dangerous quest, after all."

"Please, come on in," Yoohyeon invited the other knight shyly. It was a good thing she was currently packing. At least the full blown mess in her quarters could go without the need of a proper explanation. It was an organized mess, she would always tell Yubin when the Queen usually fret over her messy quarters. "My deepest apologies for the mess, Lady Minji."

Minji let out a soft chuckle as she studied the room. It looked like it was thrown upside down with random things set everywhere on the floor. The only free space in the quarters was on the bed. "Are you sure you're packing? Looks to me like someone ransacked your quarters. Have the bandits made it this far without our realization?"

Not quite expecting Minji to share a quick quip, Yoohyeon nervously laughed as she stumbled her way to her packs, clearing out some clothes and scrolls so there was space for Minji to sit. She guessed she could play along. With a gasp, she murmured, "I'm a blind fool to have let 'em slip this far. The castle guards must be alerted!"

Minji smiled thinly as she sat on the space Yoohyeon cleared for her. "Jesting aside, here is the list of soldiers I wish to bring with us."

Ordinary soldiers were drafted from common folks, they were not born noble, and thus they did not wear the title of knights. Yoohyeon took the list from Minji, studying it with rapt attention. Some of the names were familiar to her, having carried out errants and battled with them before. "I know some of these soldiers. I can definitely vouch for their skills."

"That's great, Ser. I tried to recruit a few of them whom you'd be familiar with."

Yoohyeon returned the list with a thankful nod. "That's mighty kind of you."

"It's the least I could do, considering that you gave me your full confidence to recruit them."

"Aye, but I could tell you not many would do the same. I appreciate it and all... But how did you know I'm familiar with them?"

"I perused some of your battle reports to get some names. Asked around, too. Plenty of soldiers jumped at the chance to sortie with you, Lady Yoohyeon," Minji recalled, rolling the parchment with the soldiers' names carefully. "You're quite popular and well respected by the soldiers. Didn't take me long at all to recruit enough men and women to ride with us."

Yoohyeon tried her best to ignore the blood rushing up to her cheeks and ears. She stuffed her medicine pouch into one of her saddle bags just to hide her red face from Minji. Medicine pouch. That reminded her of something important. She turned to Minji, who was watching her silently. "Ser, I feel it is apt for us to bring some healers with us as well. From your list, I am acquainted with Bora, a soldier born in a family of herbalists, but I fear just one soldier with knowledge of herbs and medicines will not quite suffice."

"It will be difficult to request a healer from the House of Prayer... They are short handed as is. I believe they've sent off a unit of healers to a village dealing with terrible fevers. Not to mention we would ride first thing come morning. Would it be possible to request for a holy sister to join us at such a short notice?"

"Hmm... Oh! I happen to know of someone who isn't dispatched with that unit."

"Just one healer?"

"Better than none?" Yoohyeon shrugged.

"You're right," Minji stiffened a bit. She couldn't say she never thought about bringing a healer along, especially to aid injured villagers who survived the bandit attacks. However, the Queen had not requisitioned healers to the errant's efforts, and Minji would rather not place a request to the House herself as the request could take days—even weeks—to be processed. Days they did not have the luxury to wait for. "How are you so sure they'd agree to join us?"

Yoohyeon grinned. "Saved her life once and she Vowed to me. Think a knight's errant wouldn't be too much to ask for a Vow's favour."

"A Vow?" Minji asked, her tone lilt with surprise. Vows weren't just simple words that got spoken lightly. It was a strict law among the Goddess' clergy and followers. A promise that cannot be broken. While the nobles of Noveron were not firm believers of the Goddess, Minji was aware of the conditions entailed in a Vow from studying the kingdom's namesake Goddess—Privia. To have it spoken by a healer of the House of Prayer...

"Long story," Yoohyeon huffed as she finally managed to tie her saddle bags after securing her rations inside. With that, she was finally done packing. She then sighed. Now... to address the mess she'd left behind. "Hmm."

Minji looked somewhat amused, smirking a little, and Yoohyeon didn't have the slightest idea why. No, wait, Yoohyeon could make a guess. It was laughable after all that she'd allowed her quarters to get to such a state.

She was the knight with a healer tied to her with a Vow, and yet she was incapable of keeping her quarters clean as she readied her travel packs? A hilarious tale for bards to sing and get folks drunk on, without a doubt.

Noting how Yoohyeon seemed lost in thought, Minji offered her help in organising the chaos. "Would you like me to help you clean up?"

Yoohyeon shook her hands repeatedly, unwilling to impose on Minji's kindness. "No, I shouldn't trouble you."

"Well... As you wish, Ser," Minji stood up, making do with Yoohyeon's refusal, head still turning to study the clutter in the knight's quarters. If Yoohyeon had been a soldier under her command, Minji could think of several punishments, but as it stands, they were equal. Always had been. She gave Yoohyeon one final reminder. "We ride after breakfast tomorrow."

Yoohyeon could only offer the other knight an affirmative nod. "I'll be there."

"I hope you're not going to leave your quarters like this until you come back from the errant, Lady Yoohyeon."

Unfortunately for Minji, Yoohyeon planned on doing just that. Or, Yoohyeon wondered... Could a spoken Vow be used to clean rooms?

 

🗡🗡🗡

 

The healer, one Prayer sister named Siyeon groaned when she saw the soldier clinging to Lady Yoohyeon. "Not you."

"Took my words right outta my mouth." Bora hissed, and clung onto Yoohyeon even tighter.

Lady Yoohyeon of Vembert was but a poor soul when she was within vicinity of both Siyeon and Bora. It did not make the slightest of sense considering she was the one with both of their spoken Vows in her hands. So how was it possible that Siyeon and Bora made it seem as if it was Yoohyeon instead whom owed them? With Bora clinging tight onto her arm, she was barely able to eat her soup.

The Queen, bless Her Majesty's arse for attending the send off breakfast with everyone else, had all the royal right to come and tease Yoohyeon, and she did so with an obvious merriment. "Oh! Lady Yoohyeon... You're taking Siyeon and Bora... Both? You're off to a great start already."

Yoohyeon grunted and set her spoon down, wondering if the Queen had somehow planned all of this to happen. Rarely did her appetite ever gets ruined like this, but her heart's pounding too loudly and quickly for her to keep her stomach welcoming of any food.

Lady Minji of Noveron sat to Yoohyeon's right, watching the healer sitting opposite of her and the soldier clinging onto Yoohyeon on her left trading insults with a well hidden interest. Others would merely brush it off as a glare—as if that was all Minji could do—but Yoohyeon knew the subtle difference.

"Long story." Yoohyeon mouthed to Minji, who allowed the corner of her lips to tilt slightly upwards. Yoohyeon wondered if she would ever get to recount these long stories of hers to her fellow knights. Two healers' Vows? Where should one even start?

 

🗡🗡🗡

 

Not while they were drifting on horses, of course. Yoohyeon led the convoy on horseback, while Minji brought up the rear, but the bickering of their two healers (with Yoohyeon somehow being the victim of their banter) could possibly be heard from the opposite end of the continent, so Minji as the rear guard didn't have to strain her ears by much.

"You know when you say two days of hard riding you'd really mean four days, right?" the melodic voice coming from Siyeon, sitting on the supply cart, rings out loud and true.

To add, Bora said. "It's two days of hard riding for her horse, doofus." 

Siyeon took to being called a doofus calmly, keen on addressing the real issue. "Milady, not everyone's horse bred as pure as yours 'ave!" 

As it turned out, Bora was not bickering with Siyeon but agreeing with her, an occurrence that Minji noted... rarely happened. "True that! Lame horses like ours could go twenty leagues out, no more than that. Yours could do fifty!"

"Your horse isn't just lame, Bora. It's a slow, lazy gelding." At least Siyeon was still staying true to her character, picking on something that could easily hurt the soldier's feelings.

"So what?! My mother had him castrated so she could use... that as a cure! Hardly a choice not to take when a life's in danger, you know."

"How barbaric..." Siyeon sighed loudly.

Minji may not know the story behind their Vows, but she was starting to understand their animosity towards each other, at least. Two healers of two different schooling and beliefs, one of faith and one familial. Still, they did make great points. They did need to consider their time and the convoy's transportation. Giving an order to another soldier to bring up the rear, Minji rode ahead to meet Yoohyeon. They had been marching half the day's away and the horses need their rests soon, and so did every human if the raising voices of irritation from the two healers were any tell. Minji and her mare could ride for a fair more, just like Yoohyeon could, but the same cannot be said for the whole convoy.

Just as Minji neared the leading pack did Yoohyeon bark an order to march just a little bit more until they could get to a nearby stream. The Noveron noble pulled on her reins gently and guided her mare to turn back. She needlessly worried, Yoohyeon was already aware of the convoy's needs and capabilities. Sure, if given the chance, she'd rode ahead with Yoohyeon to the ransacked village—just the two of them—or meet with the advanced scouting party, to save time. But that was still a risk that Minji figured should not be taken, unless absolutely necessary. The convoy itself could be run over by ruffians. The roads had gotten so dangerous of late that the castle's merchants all needed escorts coming and going to and fro the castle.

Minji also knew of the Queen's sleepless nights, how torn apart she was of her people's sufferings. She didn't show that side of hers much in public or in the court, always keeping up a merry appearance to her subjects. For years now she'd worked to the bones trying to undo the damage her father had previously done in his reign. A lost war with a neighbouring kingdom that led to war reparations, to ravaged lands, loss of crops, then hefty taxes, and finally poverty to many.

The Queen herself had never truly lived in luxury since her coronation three years ago following the death of the former King. She'd cut off the excess funds to the castle to make reparation payments and empowering the House of Prayer's clergy to help the people, building shelters and giving lands to her subjects to be cultivated. Stability in the kingdom was a long way away, but Minji willed herself to be there to see her Queen reach it. She would not be brazen with risks to her life and those around her until then.

She didn't doubt Yoohyeon would do the same.

 

🗡🗡🗡

 

'I never understood why everyone despised you.'

Minji's mind was muddled when she had came to. Mesmerist, she had cursed. Just how badly was she hurt that the healer saw fit to forcibly put her consciousness to sleep?

Someone was speaking to her.

Where?

Who?

Yoohyeon. At the end of her cot.

Was that pity in her eyes?

'I'm sorry I couldn't help you earlier.'

Oh. It wasn't pity. It was guilt.

'There were four of them to one of me. And you, I suppose, but they beat you.'

Minji had understood.

'I didn't want them beating me.'

Yoohyeon of Vembert, if Minji's mess of a mind was right. A minor patrician noble family's daughter. She didn't really have a choice in the matter of... bullies. The older pages... They were from powerful houses of earls and counts. Families who also hated Minji's house with all their might.

They hated Minji because her family weren't believers of the Goddess Privia, and thus sullied the kingdom's holy name. Hate in which clearly went against Privia's love-thy-neighbours teachings to begin with, Minji had thought. There are texts depicting freedom to preach, sure, but there are also texts freeing believers of... believing in Her.

No, believing in other Gods and Goddesses? It was something to that nature. Not like her mind had been in a right state to recall the texts exactly.

How dare she try to offer her service to the Privia as the Kingdom and Goddess, they had barked. Minji couldn't give them an answer. There was nothing she could reason that would satisfy their bloodthirst.

'Don't worry, Minji. I'll get stronger, then I'll be able to protect you.'

If Minji had been able to smile while barely conscious, she would. She couldn't reply, but had she did, she had probably said she'd get stronger and protect her own self just fine.

 

🗡🗡🗡

 

Minji supposed she deserved it, for thinking that she—alone—was enough to protect herself. A deep cut on her calf from a rusty head of an axe was enough to pull her from any more battle.

She wanted to keep fighting, but she knew well enough that she'd just be a hindrance with her decreased mobility. 

"Could barely stand," Bora stated, her usual snark ever present in her voice. "Much less ride and fight."

Siyeon found it necessary to add more salt to the wound. "Crazy. To be struck by an axehead falling perfectly on your calf, from the shaft of an ax you broke with your flawless parry? Just how stupidly unlucky do you have to be?"

And here Minji thought they should be healing her? She barely felt that way—healed. (She hoped not one of them would link her 'unlucky' injury to her lack of faith.) She was genuinely surprised that neither of them did. They poked (much) fun at her, but never at the Goddess' expense. The two healers really were some interesting characters. She wondered if she could get their side of the story now that she would be stuck with the rest of the injured villagers in the village headman's hut.

The position—village headman—itself lied empty, due to the headman's unfortunate death during the bandit's raid. He was the first few to die after refusing to surrender the village's meagre crops. He didn't have a heir and had never named a vice to his leadership, so the position was in abeyance for now.

Minji figured the villagers would put it to vote once the bandit situation was truly, under control. She was already seeing a worthy successor in the village's clergywoman. She had already been treating the injured villagers to her best abilities when the scouting party first arrived. The villagers managed to drive away their invaders for two more days with the help of the scouting party, dwindling the numbers of the thieves further.

All that was left was the complete eradication of the bandits. Destroy their camps, and kill every last one of the good for nothings. Then, they shall rebuild the village.

Minji was doing swimmingly in the fighting until the axehead-falling-to-her-calf happened.

The healers spoke in hushed voices of her condition, but Minji knew her body more than anyone else. There was a constant fear that she couldn't walk on her left leg anymore. Cut tendons. Lost feeling to her leg. Her life as Her Majesty's knight would be over.

And because she usually worked protection detail at night, Minji's senses in the evenings were cat like. So she heard her.

Yoohyeon. Crying. Silent, but sometimes she'd allow an audible sob to escape.

Minji would never ever mistaken those tears for someone else's. She was sure Yoohyeon won't see her clearly under the weak candle lights, so she smiled. Yoohyeon still had that twelve year old in her. She never changed.

 

🗡🗡🗡

 

The villagers fashioned a cart for Minji. For her journey back to the castle. She was not entirely sure what she was supposed to feel like being treated like fragile glass, as she was still riding high on herbal remedies. A small, "Thank you," was all she could say.

The clergywoman whose name escaped Minji's herb riddled mind since she was first introduced to her (and continued to elude her) was the one to gift it to her. "It is nothing compared to what you have given us."

Minji had secretly brought with her a sack full of gold coins. They were not coins provided by the castle for the errant, but her personal earnings. Being the daughter of the Duke of Noveron—the head of the wealthiest merchant family in the kingdom—sure had its perks sometimes.

With the gold coins, Minji hoped rebuilding efforts could start immediately without the villagers waiting for further aid from the castle.

Minji had ridden in lavish horse carriages before but nothing makes her feel quite at home more than the rickety cart the villagers made specifically for her to be transported safely to the castle.

Siyeon and Bora could laugh all they want, Minji didn't care if they do. But they did not laugh at her. They took turns driving the cart Minji was on, alternating between driving and caring for her on the cart, always wary for obstacles and reigning the horse to ensure Minji's rocked least.

"Why..." Minji manages to ask at last after a day's ride ended with them pulling up tarps and cots on a clearing. It was not asked to a particular healer, but they both answered the same.

"Yoohyeon's evoked our Vows to you."

Minji's eyes bulged wider than a fool's gold coin. "Your Vows?"

The clergywoman thanking a non-believer like her didn't surprise Minji much anymore, but to have both the healers' Vows dedicated to her was... Unexpected. For everyone involved, Minji guessed.

"We'll 'get Lady Minji walking again even if it kills us' is the deal." Bora grumbled as she pitched the healer's tent around the cart.

Siyeon helped Minji to a herbal concoction, chuckling when the knight scrunched her face from the herb's aftertaste. "First time seeing that expression on that cold face. Anyway, at least it's possible, you know. Some vows asked for a remedy to a hemorrhaging brain or bleeding lungs and no amount of blood letting brew could help with that."

Minji was still slowly processing everything. Bandit. Axehead. Calf. Tendon. Walk. Fight. Coin. Cart. Vows.

What was in these healer's brews?

Minji still had one other mystery to solve besides the concoction's content. She figured now was a good time as any to ask. "How did you come to owe Lady Yoohyeon your Vows?"

"Hmm..." Siyeon hugged her body with her arms. "It was wartime."

"Anything could've happened then." Minji pressed. No one was invisible during war. Even the fear mongering late King perished in the chaos of battle.

Siyeon easily agreed. "Yeah. It was hell. Priestesses are such easy prey, you know. We've many uses as healers and we generally do not fight back. My whole clergy school was either taken hostage or were made slaves. I almost died from starving in a cell when Lady Yoohyeon's corps came to our rescue. Made a Vow to her then. She never had use for it until you came into the picture."

"As for me..." Bora slid fresh straws under Minji's cot to provide further support for her injured leg. "It's much more recent. My whole family's a traveling merchant. We've never settled on a place for long. Peddling herbs are our main source of income, so, in a way, we're very much unlike the House of Prayer's healers. We were on the road when we ran into a feline beast."

"A lion?" Minji guessed.

"Cougar."

"Ah. So a mountain lion."

"Worse?" Siyeon asked.

"Depends on who you're asking... There are less fatal attacks caused by a mountain lion than there are snake bites," Minji murmured. "They would usually attack smaller prey, so... children."

Bora nodded. "My little sister was thirsty so she went to a watering hole. Got attacked there."

"Where does Yoohyeon fit in this?" Siyeon asked again, desperate to get to the story's highlight.

"Um, she was taking a bath at the same watering hole."

Siyeon blinked in disbelief. "A bath?"

"She fought a mountain lion ?" Minji questioned incredulously. Bora's shaking shoulders—desperate in holding back a laugh—was answer enough. "Huh. She did say it was a long story, for her part."

"She's just embarrassed. Most she did was scream loudly and splash on the water to make herself seem like a bigger target to persuade the cougar to disengage, since her sword was placed on dry land further away."

"Good strategy." Minji noted with a small smile.

"Yeah, saved my lil sister's hide. Made my Vow to her after that as repayment, then decided to join the knight's ranks as a foot soldier when my family's finally decided to settle in the borough. We're still supplying herbs, but we now have a home to return to."

Siyeon chuckled as Bora completed her retelling. "And a knight to return what we Vowed," she looked at Minji, raising her eyebrows as if the lady knight was a challenge. "That is now you, milady."

"You know I'm not a believer."

The priestess was firm as she said. "The Goddess Privia sees your heart no matter if you believe in Her or not."

"Least I believe in you," Bora grinned widely. "You're not at all like the rumors say."

"I fear to even begin on what the foot soldiers think of me..."

"They think you're some sort of a mythical vampire," Siyeon laughed out loud. "Just because you're really pale and work nights to ensure our beloved Queen's always safe. They never think of you caring for the Queen when she couldn't sleep from her recurring nightmares," Siyeon saw Minji's questioning gaze and smiled reassuringly. "I hear from the older priestesses that you're always looking for a tea brew to cure insomnia. Quickly pieced that it's for the Queen's."

"Footies are so dumb." Bora huffed.

"Glad you're promoted to cavalry with that lame horse of yours?"

"Leave him out of this! He's a good boy!"

 

🗡🗡🗡

 

Minji was coming to terms that her service as a knight could've come to a short end. She was already envisioning her days on desk duty, reading parchments and approving supply efforts as well as other menial business dealings with her father, the Duke of Noveron.

Yoohyeon giving away her healers' Vows was... Well. Her heart had always been kind, and Minji thought that she was no different than anyone else Yoohyeon had helped. However, it was evident to Minji now that such was not the case. Minji knew this because she had been reading up on texts about the power of a Vow—(secretly)—while she healed.

She was not doing well with her secret reading because on one certain day, Siyeon bluntly told her that a healer's Vow didn't ever involve romantic feelings, but only of gratitude. 

Bora learned of Minji's blunder the same night and off the two healers went to the races of whom could laugh at Minji's expense the most in an hour. There was also a toast because Bora had somehow nicked a bottle of ale from the castle's kitchen and brought it with her to share with Siyeon.

Minji was fighting a losing battle with her headache when she asked. "What are you toasting to?"

"To love." They both answered at the same time.

Whose love? When did they get so chummy? Were they sure their Vows had no semblance of romance whatsoever? Minji was not even drinking but she swore she could get sick and puke just watching the two drunken healers get all over each other.

Both Siyeon and Bora were already fast asleep—cuddling each other on Minji's cozy fur rug—when a series of knocks rapped on Minji's quarters' door. She smiled thinly at the familiar noise. It usually sounded on Her Majesty's chamber or study's doors, so this was certainly new. "Come in."

Yoohyeon popped her hand in first, as she always did at the Queen's chambers. Retrieving it without a nick of a blade or an arrow, she entered with a smile. "A sentry gave a report of noise disturbance coming from your ward, but no one else dared to check."

"My. I'm bound for a lonely death by assassination, aren't I? Is that why you placed your hand in view first?"

"Please. I'd lose my hand first before anyone could get to you."

"Anyone? Technically my current predicament is me coming for my own life."

Yoohyeon shrugged. "Technically... Not? You were done in by a broken axe head."

"And who broke it?

"You, good Ser," Yoohyeon hummed as she finally found the 'noise disturbance' offenders—clung tight to each other and sprawled on the rug—when she shifted her attention away from Minji. She mulled the strange—(but not surprising)—situation over with raised eyebrows. "Hmm... This clearly wasn't a part of their Vows."

Minji found it all so ridiculous she just had to laugh. Really laugh. A chortle of delight. Yoohyeon joined her with her softer chuckle, and it felt good. Minji hadn't had such a laugh in a long time. Between years of hatred, prejudice, and a bloody war, there were not many instances for her to laugh with no bounds.

Yoohyeon ignored the drunkards for now and made her way to Minji. She sat at the edge of the bed, her movement gentle. Minji's bed dipped slightly as Yoohyeon shifted around to ensure her fellow knight was comfortable. 

"Please, Lady Yoohyeon, I'm no doll."

"Not treating you like one?" Yoohyeon questioned, alarmed at the accusation.

"That sure explains the horse drawn cart you asked the villagers to craft, and the healers' Vows to heal me," Minji began, but faltered quickly as she tensed, not knowing how to finish. "And many more... Kindness—to add—that I am oblivious of, I assume. I learned of the cart from Bora, you know. She didn't even tell me this while sober. Goddess knows what else you've been up to behind my back all these years."

"Do you believe in Her now?"

The tightness in Minji's gut vanished like a spell when she saw the soft rose colour in Yoohyeon's full cheeks. "If She so wishes to gift you to me, then yes."

Yoohyeon leaned onto Minji's body, murmuring a soft, "So my prayers have been answered," before she closed the little distance that was left. She felt the heat coming from Minji's body, warmer under the influence of potent herbs, their rich scent wafting through her heightened sense.

A soft touch to her lips, and everything was still muddled in Minji's mind. A gentle, wandering touch elsewhere raised the alarm. Minji bit on Yoohyeon's lower lip as she hissed in pain. Yoohyeon had been caressing Minji's thighs and applied pressure on her torn left calf accidentally when she went lower. 

It was a miracle the two drunkards wasn't awaken by the choir of giggles following the two new lovers' honest mistakes.

 

🗡🗡🗡

 

"Good grief, you're glowing," Yubin sighed as Minji slumped down next to her in the royal study. Her dear knight's progress in healing had been truly magical as she was already walking without assistance, though this was the first time Minji's made herself available to the Queen since her errant's return. "Needed an axehead cutting deep on your calf before you see through that mighty fog?"

Minji chuckled lightly. "Never thought my fog was different than any other folks. Now I'm here to help you with yours. Was walking through the gardens when I saw light in your study. Should I get you a cup of herbal tea? Siyeon taught me the recipe for a new brew. Shouldn't take me long to make one for you."

"I'd love one, Minji, and you'd need to tell me everything that happened from last we met. I won't sleep until you do!"

 

🗡🗡🗡

part two.

readers who may be sensitive, please take note of the following content warning: mentions of post-traumatic stress disorder, panic attacks

🗡🗡🗡

 

Lady Minji of Noveron loved the Queen. When most of the royal court called foul on Minji's family for their blasphemous ways—not believing in the goddess Privia as the other noble families did—Queen Yubin stood on Minji's side time and again; unrelentingly dismissing the irate voices trying to bring the Noveron family to its knees.

Thus, it was an undeniable fact that Minji owed the Queen many favors.

She would do anything for Her Majesty.

Just—just not taking a squire under her reign.

"Your Majesty," Lady Minji gasped as a start when the Queen made said proposal. She leaned heavily on her cane as she continued. "I'm not entirely sure I would be..." she blinked, still processing the request. "...the right person to do this."

And true to the nature of the request, Queen Yubin was indeed asking for a huge favor from the lady knight.

The realm's most promising (and most maddening) page had just turned of age to begin her duties as a squire—and she would be in need of a knight to act as her lord. The lord knight were to be expected to train, nurture and act as the squire's guardian for three years before the squire were cleared for the knighting trials.

Said squire was of the royal blood. Gahyeon of Sarail was the Queen's young cousin.

Lady Minji of Noveron would do anything for the Queen, except perhaps take on Her Majesty's cousin as her squire.

"How about Yoohyeon?" Minji thought that her dearest—her fellow lady knight—would be a better option for such a demand. "Wouldn't Lady Yoohyeon be a better teacher for Squire Gahyeon?"

The Queen hugged her body as she pondered the question, but Minji knew from the awkward posture that she had an answer for her alternative solution at the ready. "No, Lady Yoohyeon had already trained two decorated knights during her years of service to the crown. She deserved at least a year of rest without shouldering this responsibility again."

"Exactly," Minji tried. "She had experience. Your Majesty, I—I've never had a squire before."

Yubin's eyes softened. "During the war... You refused to get a squire assigned to you because you knew they'd get dragged to fight in the war. And you didn't want that. You didn't want the future leaders of this kingdom to get killed needlessly," the Queen reached out and squeezed Minji's hand, reassuring her knight. "You don't have to worry about that anymore. The war's over. It has been a long struggle, but Privia has achieved peace once again."

Minji was acutely aware that the Queen was right. That there really was no other viable option but to accept the Queen's request. Still—she was worried. She kept mum as Yubin studied her, focusing on Minji's dazed eyes—lost and full of uncertainty.

"I understand," the Queen breathed softly as she let the lady knight's hand go. "I will grant you a day to think this over. But, remember this, Lady Minji. You are one of my trusted confidants, and I have no reason to believe that you'd be lacking in seeing this request of mine through. I love my dear cousin, and I think that you'd do well in training her. I believe in you."

Minji knew what a dismissal sounded like. She wordlessly gave her Queen a gracious bow. Then, she left the royal study, her uncertainty growing ever so slightly with every step she took, dragging her cane along the tiles.

 

🗡️🗡️🗡️

 

Her mindless trudging brought her to the knights' training ground—because of course her brain thought she'd just need to beat a training dummy senseless and she'd find a solution right away—only to find her lover in the midst of a sparring session.

It looked like Yoohyeon was sparring against a group of pages and squires. She had a long wooden spear in her hold and was unapologetically dishing out a beating to the young ones with it. She ducked, dodged and even parried the blows coming from the group of fighters in training, all of them wielding wooden swords.

Thwack! 

"Gah!"

Thud!

"Ow!"

Swoosh!

"That's so not fair, Ser! This stick's reach is too far!"

Numerous complaints came from the group Yoohyeon was sparring—training—with; all of them had zero qualms in voicing their thoughts.

Yoohyeon smirked a little. "You can't pick your opponents when it is time to fight your battle." 

Minji thought both sides were logical—still, she snuck around the grounds, exchanging her walking cane with a wooden sword from the weapons racks as she made her way to the sparring circle. Everyone there was too focused on the ongoing spar to notice her quiet, trained approach. Just as Yoohyeon parried another blow and sent the attacking squire a few steps back, Minji made her move, weaving behind the squire and out of Yoohyeon's sight. Her lover could then barely parry Minji's well timed, hidden jab.

A chorus of gasps and exclamations rang from the group of youngsters watching. Some of them even hastily lowered their heads, bowing in respect to the lady knight.

Minji retreated just slightly, her stance still on the offensive, while Yoohyeon had her spear ready to defend incoming attacks.

"Well. Good morning to you too, my love." Yoohyeon flashed Minji a smile as she moved her right leg a pace behind—wide stance to make up for the speed Minji could utilize against her.

If Minji was bothered by the audible gasps caused by the endeared name coming from the group of inexperienced-with-love, hormonal teenagers; she didn't make it obvious. "Lovely morning to teach the pages and squires a little lesson?"

Yoohyeon moved her weapon slightly as she shrugged. "I was doing drills by myself when they all came begging to spar with me."

"Thank you for accepting our request, Lady Yoohyeon." One of the older squires said. Others nodded quickly in agreement as Minji's eyes flew towards their direction. They didn't seem to know what to do while they were under Minji's rapt attention. Even unrelated squires fear her—honestly, what would Minji do if she had her own squire? At least they seemed sincere with their gratitude, Minji supposed.

She focused on Yoohyeon again. There was already a coat of sweat glistening off of Yoohyeon's fair skin. And she looked to be flushed red with exertion. Minji wondered just how long Yoohyeon had been humoring the young ones' request. She didn't need to—but Minji was well aware of Yoohyeon's kind reputation. She would never turn a request away, and the people—noble blood or not—loved her dearly for it.

"You won't even hesitate if the Queen asked you to take Gahyeon under your care..." Minji's shoulders relaxed, murmuring softly to herself.

"What was that, milady?" Yoohyeon moved closer to catch Minji's low voice.

"It is nothing," Minji tightened her hand around the hilt of her sword and finally made her move. "Guard!"

Lady Yoohyeon of Vembert prided herself for her speed and technique. Given a proper lance, she could make quick work of any fighter thrown her way. Lady Minji, however was not just any foe. While Yoohyeon was very much a technical fighter, Minji was pure strength. Her wounded leg had healed considerably well, but she wasn't quite back to her full might—(she didn't think that she'd achieve that level of physicality ever again)—that said, Minji was still a formidable fighter. And she showed it. Minji's first connected blow sent Yoohyeon a full step back, her hands shaking from the contact with Minji's sword. Minji closed in so quickly that Yoohyeon couldn't make full use of her spear's reach, even forcing the pages and squires to scatter; making a bigger sparring circle for the two dueling knights. 

They traded blows, with mostly Minji going on the offensive—twirling her way out of Yoohyeon's pull-and-jab, wielding her weapon in a half-swording style—one hand on the hilt and another on the wooden blade to block Yoohyeon's heavier swings.

They were in a stalemate for a while, just striking their weapons together and blocking any strike coming their way. After completing a combination of attacking and defensive maneuver they would also size each other up, before they began their deadly dance once again. Not long after several more heavy blows were exchanged; Minji, more mobile of the two and arguably less exhausted from continuous drills and sparring, eventually started to gain the upper hand.

After parring Yoohyeon's full-body swing and throwing her slightly off balance, Minji read the clumsy movement of Yoohyeon's upper body and reached for her spear when she trusted it forward in a predictable fashion. With a death grip and a complicated twist of her body starting from her flexible wrist—she wrenched the spear off Yoohyeon's hands. Rounding off the disarming maneuver, Minji slid a few paces back, now with her wooden sword in her right hand and Yoohyeon's wooden spear tucked just below her chest and held up strong by her left hand.

Yoohyeon still had her empty hands out—in a small shock from having her weapon snatched away from her so skilfully. After a brief pause, Yoohyeon buried her face into her red, calloused palm and laughed. Minji started a while later—softer chuckles compared to Yoohyeon's boisterous, endearing laugh.

Minji dropped the wooden weapons to the ground as Yoohyeon approached her with a sweet grin plastered on her features, her large, expressive eyes unashamed of her loss, and quite possibly sparkling in adoration—she was very much in love. She wrapped Minji's body whole, arms wide and her hold tight. Immediately, her lover was already leaning some of her weight away from her weaker leg. Yoohyeon shot one of the younger female page a look and nodded her head towards the nearby weapon rack, where Minji's walking cane rested.

They were sweaty, and the morning was just turning a little warmer with the higher sun, but neither were entirely sure about letting each other go—('Oh, Goddess, how I've missed her', Yoohyeon had thought)—not until the female page returned to the embracing knights, wearing an expectant expression as she offered Minji's walking cane to its owner. Minji nodded at the small bodied page, even gracing her with a tiny smile as she took her cane.

Yoohyeon was sure the page flushed a little and the lady knight snickered lightly to herself. Minji always had such an effect on people (Yoohyeon included), even if her lover didn't realize it herself. She kept on holding Minji's left hand as the latter adjusted her cane to support more of her weight. They shared one last eye contact that lasted mere seconds, really—but it felt like an eternity could've passed—then Yoohyeon finally peeled away before she could get lost even further in the depth of the startling burgundy that was Minji's eyes. 

She addressed the group of youngsters with some points on the knights' sparring session—how Minji had turned her disadvantage on her weapon's short reach with her mobility, how Yoohyeon had to adjust the way she wielded her spear because of the close-quarters combat she was forced to engage in, and how they should not try to disarm an opponent wielding a spear that had a proper bladed tip using just their bare hands—as Lady Minji had. (Minji pouted, but understood well that her move could indeed turn out terribly should they be used in a real battle.)

The pages and squires then dispersed after Yoohyeon's briefing ended, cleaning up after themselves and returning all of their training weapons back to their racks, eventually clearing the training grounds completely. Yoohyeon's chest always grew with pride whenever she could watch the young pages and squires do their utmost best in their training, and today was no different. She blinked away from the fuss of the young ones cleaning up when a piece of cloth was dapped gently on her forehead. "Am I that sweaty?" she asked Minji with a sheepish smile as her beloved brushed her hand through her wet bangs.

Minji looked exasperated, though her eyes were gentle. "Honestly," she sighed, wiping down Yoohyeon's sweaty nape. "How long have you been out here?"

"Not that long," Yoohyeon took the hand holding the linen cloth from her neck and kissed the back of it, the touch of her lips so tender that Minji couldn't help but feel shy. "I tended to my horse at the stable earlier, changing its horseshoes and um, I had a bit more time, so I brushed and fed your horse as well, then came here to do my daily drills."

"You tended to my mare?" Minji questioned, surprised. The fair beast, while she was Minji's trusty companion—had been since she was a small filly with shaky legs—and Minji loved her so... She had never warmed up to any other hands—just like how she never had a squire, Minji also never had one of the castle's stable boy assigned to her due to her mare's temper. To hear that Yoohyeon had managed to feed and brush her mare was shocking, to say the least. Somehow, Yoohyeon was able to tame Minji's unruly mare.

At the strange tone of Minji's question, Yoohyeon could only tilt her head in confusion. "Yes? Shouldn't I have...? Would you rather I don't tend to her needs at all?"

"No, I—" Minji shook her head, not keen on Yoohyeon misunderstanding the situation. "It's just that... My mare has quite a bit of... Temper. She doesn't really let anyone else touch her. You could say I'm surprised she even allowed you in her stall."

"Truly?" Yoohyeon hummed softly. She looked pleased. "That made me feel a little special," she commented with a toothy grin. "Your mare is a smart one. Maybe she knew she could trust me, considering that we favor each other."

Minji squeezed Yoohyeon's hand, a shy smile playing along her lips. "Walk with me, my dear."

Yoohyeon gestured her free hand to her side, motioning for Minji to walk ahead. The latter did, one hand on her cane, the other held securely by Yoohyeon. They made their way out of the training ground to the corridor leading towards one of the castle's mighty hall, their steps in sync despite Minji usually being a pace slower while walking with her cane. Minji had always loved when Yoohyeon fell in sync alongside her. She could just as well march forward, but she had no hesitance to wait for Minji instead—so Minji tightened her hold on their intertwined fingers. Nothing in the world could compare to the comfort of having Yoohyeon's hand in hers; and Minji hoped her lover thought of her touches—wherever or whenever they may be—could provide the same sense of easement.

Minji must've been so highly strung, because not once did Yoohyeon sway her attention away from looking at Minji while they walked—those big eyes full of adoration and concern studying each visible surface of Minji's features—yet Yoohyeon never pressed Minji to share her troubled thoughts. She just walked quietly beside her beloved, giving Minji all the time she needed to unpack her musing.

They reached a point where the corridor panned out to part of the wide moat surrounding the castle, an extensive water defenses with major fortifications around it; when Minji finally stopped. Her hand left the security of Yoohyeon's hold as she gripped the half-wall of the castle corridor instead, overlooking the still water. Swift wind blew past the two knights, but Minji didn't feel chilly, as Yoohyeon had embraced her gently from behind. She rested her head on Minji's shoulder and closed her eyes.

It was quiet. The corridor was empty save for the two of them—even if there were other castle's occupants using the corridor, it would still feel like that space existed just for the two lady knights. Softly, Yoohyeon hummed near Minji's ears, her soft voice uplifting the latter's spirit without fail. Minji bumped the side of her head slowly with Yoohyeon, which made the taller knight release her hold on Minji.

She turned to face her and smiled as Yoohyeon dipped to plant a gentle—'it's alright,'—kiss on her forehead; right where her bangs parted. That gave Minji the final push to share her worries. "Her Majesty requested something from me."

As much as Yoohyeon loved Minji—(with all of her heart and mind and her hands were for Minji to hold and her lips for Minji to kiss and cherish)—Yoohyeon knew a large part of their life they intimately shared also belonged to the Queen; as were required in their Knight's Oath, spoken and true. And with both of them being one of the closest and trusted members of the Queen's Own group of knights, it was not at all rare for the Queen to request something from them—be it for an official or personal request. Yoohyeon continued with her soft humming, encouraging Minji to continue speaking.

"She wanted me to take on a squire."

The concern on Yoohyeon's emotive eyes switched to excitement almost immediately. "Milady, that is great for you!" she gasped happily. "I understand that you've never had a squire before."

Minji's brows scrunched all over, conveying her obvious anxiety over the sudden assignment. She looked down towards the ground, feeling smaller than ever before. "You are right, I've never..." her free hand moved to grasp on Yoohyeon's elbow, steadying herself as her world seemed to swirl all over. "What should I do? I fear as if I would not be able to rise to the demanding responsibility of nurturing a squire to maturity. What if I make mistakes? What if I ruin their future? I don't know what to do."

"Oh, dearest," Yoohyeon cooed as she cupped Minji's strong jaw with both of her hands, tender warmth spreading all around her chest. Minji had contemplated over failing her task even before she started it—which alerted Yoohyeon that she had most probably played several years of the coming future in her mind, visualizing her days training a squire to be a proper knight. "You are thinking too much," Yoohyeon blinked slowly as Minji finally looked up to meet her eyes. "The Queen loves you. Trusted you. Why else would she summon you personally to ask you to train a squire? A standard motion would have been one of the knights in charge of training the page would give the pages a list of knights interested in taking a squire; and the page would be the one to choose from the list, and approach the knight they chose with their proposal."

Minji stayed quiet, shoulders straight with only her eyes betraying her resolve.

"Could it be that the squire Her Majesty asked you to train... Is it Gahyeon of Sarail? Queen Yubin's dear cousin?"

At this, Minji nodded. "Do you know of her?"

Yoohyeon rubbed Minji's cheeks with her thumb. "I was actually interested in taking her as my next squire."

Minji's brows once again perked up. "Have you proposed this with Her Majesty?"

"No," Yoohyeon said, simply. She was disappointed that the Queen had another plan on hand for her dear cousin, yes, but that slight feeling of dismay was easily replaced with her love for Minji. Yoohyeon wanted Minji to take Gahyeon as her squire more than anything else in their world right at that moment. "And I'm glad I didn't. She seemed to have chosen you instead."

Minji didn't seem like she was convinced.

"You'll do so well," a kiss on the forehead. "I know you will," Yoohyeon went lower and pressed another kiss on Minji's cheek. "If you're feeling troubled, you can always come to me."

Minji let out a soft laugh. "I feel like that would be unavoidable."

Yoohyeon joined in with a light chuckle as well. "At the end of the day, you know where to find me."

A full roll of Minji's eyes indulged Yoohyeon's suggestion. "My dear, that is also unavoidable, we live together."

Yoohyeon only continued laughing as she walked Minji down the castle corridor towards the great hall.

 

🗡️🗡️🗡️

 

Minji's first meeting with the squire who was now under her tutelage was... abrupt and chaotic. It was not even supposed to be their official meeting. 

Released from her night watch duty, Minji was looking for a fresh batch of mint at the farmers' market for one of her tea brews as she had run out; when her peaceful shopping trip was interrupted by a man in a cloak dashing towards her direction in full speed. A constant call of 'thief!' and 'stop!' gave Minji a rough idea on what was happening. She shifted her weight just so slightly as the cloaked man came even closer. Ensuring none of the other innocent market-goers were in her immediate striking zone, Minji swung her walking cane around, catching the cloaked thief's leg and sending them tumbling down to the unforgiving ground. The thief had a quick reflex, rolling back to their feet almost instantly after being hit by Minji—surprising the knight (she was sure she did not hold back on her strength)—though they couldn't quite go far, as another figure tackled them down with the full brunt of their body.

Minji walked over, watching as the thief tried to wrestle out of the hold of the person who tackled them. Minji narrowed her eyes when she noticed the person was wearing the familiar tunic that all of the castle's squires were required to wear.

"Ugh! Settle down, you miserable good-for-nothing!" The squire produced a rope seemingly out of nowhere and bound the thief with a practiced ease. Once the thief was properly tied up, she peeled away and wiped her hands, looking quite like a hunter whom was satisfied with the morning's hunt. She then turned to Minji, presumably to give her thanks, only to be completely still. "O-oh. Lady Minji."

Minji tilted her head as a greeting. Those big, round eyes and luscious, upturned lips... All of them traits that were shared by the members of the royal family. Minji had an inkling who this brave squire was. "Good morning to you, squire."

Squire Gahyeon perked up and gave Minji a practiced bow, albeit looking just a little nervous. "G-good morning, milady. Your letter found me well and I was looking forward to meeting you. Erm, just not like this?"

"Surely not." Minji assured the nervous squire. Then, her attention was taken away from Gahyeon. Her grip on her walking cane tightened as she tugged the female squire to move back.

The hood of the thief's cloak had fallen, revealing a young woman's face—furious, too—and Minji slowly knelt down to study the sack which contained the stolen goods. "What's this, then?" she asked the thief, who chose to keep quiet.

Inside the sack was a fresh batch of medicinal herbs—chickweed, coneflower, marigold, those she could identify (spending so much time with Siyeon and Bora taught her a thing or two)—and even more roots. Out of everyone peddling their wares in the market, Minji didn't think the herbalists were the target of this young thief.

By the time Minji's done looking through the sack, folks had made a busy crowd around them. Some of them were concerned over Gahyeon, some were throwing bits of curses at the thief, some were concerned that the palace guards were taking too long to arrive at the scene.

Guards? Ah. The knight on duty today was…

Yoohyeon, in her Queen's Own tunic and leathers, shoved her tall body through the crowd. When she was finally in the middle of the scene, she paused. Minji, level brows up and lips tight, had her hand up before Yoohyeon could say anything.

More soldiers fall through the crowd, shouting orders for the rest of the market goers to clear some space. But they too, stood in surprise as Minji swiftly untied the thief, helping her to sit up.

"Lady Minji!" Gahyeon gasped, actively deciding that the thief was still a threat.

Yoohyeon held onto the squire. "It's alright."

"Ser, I'm not so sure—"

"Is someone injured?" Minji's words cut the squire's caution. "These are herbs specifically used for wounds. Open wounds. Why do you need these?" 

"You're not taking her away?" a disgruntled voice coming from the crowd sounded instead of the thief, with murmurs following in a clear agreement.

"Squire Gahyeon, if you'd find the peddler from which these goods are taken…" Yoohyeon instructed. "I'm not as certain as yourself as to what had happened here, but I believe…"

Gahyeon looked at the knight, growing even more anxious. "Ser?"

"Find the peddler, please," Yoohyeon said, first handing the squire some copper and silver pieces. "These should suffice for the stolen items, I hope. If not, tell them Lady Yoohyeon of Vembert owed them coins." 

The coin pieces jangled on Gahyeon's palm, and albeit confused with the thief being freed—she had been the one to initially give chase—she dutifully followed Yoohyeon's instruction.

"The rest of you back to your positions." Yoohyeon ordered the soldiers accompanying her. The majority of the dissatisfied crowd were also urged to disperse with choice words by the soldiers. A select few still lingered, curiosity keeping them rooted to the spot. Yoohyeon sighed and knelt beside Minji. The thief wasn't speaking, still. "The lady asked you a question. Won't you please answer her?"

Snatching the sack from Minji's offering hand, the thief scrambled to her feet, only to buckle on her knees slightly. Minji and Yoohyeon's hands both darted out to support her.

"Easy." Yoohyeon whispered low as she saw the red welt on the girl's ankle. "Lady Minji..." she admonished her lover. "You can't hit just about anyone with your full strength."

Minji's brows were knotted and high up, and the slight shrug she gave Yoohyeon was a picture of helpless 'what was I supposed to do?'

"Sit down, please," Yoohyeon instructed. Her tone was patient, gentle. She took out a small jar of balm from her tunic's pocket. It was something she'd carry around with her all the time since Minji's leg was injured. With practiced ease—(she'd cared for Minji's injury for a long time now)—she treated the thief's ankle, smoothing the balm gently on the tender skin. Then, she closed the jar's cap and deposited it into the sack with the herbs. "You can apply this to bruises and swelling, too. Please take it. Use it well."

Gahyeon returned to them in a rush. "Ser!" she addressed them both breathlessly. "I'm afraid the few coins wasn't enough for the amount of herbs—"

Minji chucked a coin purse at the squire. "Tell them Lady Minji of Noveron is interested in buying their whole stock. Additional coins need not be returned."

"Oh, heavens." Gahyeon said, palm weighed down by the full coin purse.

Once Gahyeon left to see the merchant again, one of the few commoners who lingered, approached them. She was wearing an apron with flour dusted everywhere on her arms. She handed the thief freshly baked loaves. "I’m sure you can't eat those greens to fill you up," she nodded at the sack of herbs. Minji tried to pay for the bread but was turned down. "I know you could buy the whole market proper, Dame, but I will not accept it."

More peddlers came to offer their precious goods that their action flustered the thief red.

Yoohyeon eventually escorted the thief out of the market with nary a word coming from the young woman.

Minji sighed, looking far to the distance as Yoohyeon slipped away from her view. As the market returned to its hustle and bustle, Minji couldn’t find it in her to tear her eyes away from the last spot her lover and the thief could be seen, until—

"Lady Minji…" Gahyeon called, approaching the knight again, her voice reluctant.

"Pray, squire, do not worry. You were not wrong to give chase. We've laws to uphold and people to protect," Minji addressed her with a tone that was both gentle and firm, though she suspected Gahyeon heard her meant it more the latter, with the way the poor squire froze on the spot. "But there are also circumstances in which you could consider while making your judgment. Today… Letting the thief go is inherently my decision."

"Yes, milady."

"That said, does the Queen know of your endeavors at the market?" It was all too easy for Minji to be upset that the girl she was entrusted with seemingly had a knack of endangering herself. "Surely lurking around here isn't part of your duties as a squire?"

"No, milady."

"Well… run along now, and don't be late for our meeting this afternoon."

"Yes, milady." The squire bowed, then turned to leave.

"Gahyeon?"

Gahyeon watched as a small smile spread along Minji's lips.

"For what it's worth, your takedown technique was excellent. You landed heavily on your shoulder, though. Will you be alright?"

"Uhm—y-yes, Milady," Gahyeon stuttered. She squared up her shoulders and tried not to wince as a sharp pain shot up her nerves. Of course the lady knight would have noticed her fall. "I'll be alright."

"Very well, squire." Minji didn't seem convinced, but she brought her cane to her front and steadied her pose, willing to let the matter go. She needed to hurry and get the goods that she had procured.

 

🗡️🗡️🗡️

 

Minji's mind kept replaying the morning’s incident as she looked on to nothing in particular inside the long prayer hall. To onlookers, she may have looked to be in a daze, but her mind was going on an overdrive. Being inside the Goddess Privia’s oratory certainly didn’t help her case. The holy place made her feel scrutinized. She’s had with her the whole shipment of goods from the market, crates of them; all meant to be an offering—donations—for the House of Prayer.

Yoohyeon was speaking softly to Siyeon, the priestess taking in stock of Minji’s donation with care. Her shapely almond eyes blinked as she listened to Yoohyeon’s recollection. "Refugees?"

"Pilgrims, more like."

“Pilgrims.” Siyeon repeated with a melodic hum. "To learn of our Goddess Privia?"

"I'm really not sure, they may also have been displaced during the war while they were still in the middle of their pilgrimage," Yoohyeon guessed. "I didn't get a word out of that young lady. What little I learned is merely from my own observation."

Shame burned Minji's face. While the kingdom had done its utmost to help the needy—it was evident that many had fallen through the cracks of the kingdom's helping hands. Slums propped up everywhere, children went hungry, and those desperate enough would unfortunately turn to crime. She wondered if the young woman she encountered earlier belonged in that category.

"I understand," Siyeon's quill dragged to the end of the parchment. "I'll visit those pilgrims with a few other Sisters in the afternoon."

Yoohyeon nodded. "Please take Bora and her squadron with you." While Yoohyeon was sure the priestess meant to visit as a good grace, Yoohyeon didn't feel welcomed by the slum's inhabitants when she escorted the thief earlier. A few children had tried tricking her into going into a maze of overcrowded dwellings, and a man had also tried to swipe Yoohyeon’s meager pack while she was on her way out of the slum, only to be stopped by the knight quickly reaching for her dagger. "I'll write them off their usual patrol and guard duty. A little extra protection wouldn't hurt."

Siyeon's eyes grew big and helpful. She didn't have the time or chance to meet Bora much lately, so she was more than thankful for Yoohyeon's suggestion. "I'll definitely be less worried if I had Bora with me."

 

🗡️🗡️🗡️

 

Minji was delighted to hear that the House of Prayer's Sisters' excursion went without a hitch—well, as much as a visit to an impoverished slum could go. 

Tracing Minji's cheek, Yoohyeon smiled down at her, a little breathless. "You cared." Her words came out low in volume, and from the way Minji blinked curiously at her, she might've just missed it (Yoohyeon always loved how she could catch Minji—the knight everyone assumed was always on guard—in a daze like this. Especially when her chest heaved from taking deep breaths, legs seizing, shoulder and chest wearing marks that were lovingly placed). "You cared, sometimes a little too much. His Grace," Yoohyeon meant the Duke of Noveron, Minji's father. "...wouldn't he mind you spending much of your wealth on donations to the church like this?"

Minji twined her fingers with the hand on her cheek. "I would rather not mention my father at all for a pillow talk, dearest."

Yoohyeon lightly laughed, dropping her supporting elbow down and leaning her full weight on Minji. "Noted," she said, pulling the sheets further up to cover them both. "How did your meeting with squire Gahyeon go?"

"Not as eventful as this morning at the market," Minji sighed as Yoohyeon returned to nipping gently on her nape. She was going to need a high collared tunic for her night watch tonight. "We talked over what she wished to learn from her knight master. We sparred with each other, just so I could get an idea of her abilities with several weapons. She’s skilled. She’s best with the bow and arrows, probably from all the hunting she’d done back at Sarail. I think she hurt herself a little this morning at the market, but she either got it treated or she hid it well during our meeting later on. I was worried, so I offered to brew her herbal tea, just to alleviate the pain a little. She likes the brew. She seems like a good kid."

"I see. I told you that you'd do well." Yoohyeon finally slid down Minji's chest to her side, baring her topless body for Minji to gawk at.

And gawk Minji did. Her eyes traversed the expanse of Yoohyeon's body, pausing at a patch of white just under her s—rough, elongated scars marred the fair skin. Minji knew Yoohyeon had gotten this wound when her battalion was caught in an ambush at the end of the war—their enemies were desperate, suicidal, even—she had a squire then too, and Yoohyeon had taken the blow meant for them.

Minji had gotten news of the ambush much later, as field reports were scarce when their lines of defense were so stretched. She was torn to hear that Yoohyeon survived only because the squire she protected was also trained as a field healer. He had taken immediate measures to staunch Yoohyeon’s bleeding, ultimately saving the knight’s life. 

There were other scars almost everywhere else on Yoohyeon's body, a nub on her upper back where an arrow pierced through her cuirass, a diagonal deep scratch along her left side, another that ran almost perpendicular to it, and several nicks on her arms and legs, but the one Minji was gently caressing was the wound that had almost killed her.

Yoohyeon pressed a soft kiss on Minji's sweaty forehead, taking her away from her morbid thoughts. "Minji. I'm here."

Minji didn't realize her breathing was getting heavier. Her mind was trying to reach a depth that’s—Minji closed her eyes, unwilling to knock on doors that were better left untouched. She thought she'd calm the erratic pumping of her heart a little after reaching ecstasy; but this time—this moment of weakness—she’d relaxed so much around Yoohyeon that she slipped into the most ghastly headspace. Quick images of metal clanging against metal and seas of red pooling under her flashed behind her eyes. Minji took a deep breath and slowly let her lungs fill again. She opened her eyes to Yoohyeon cupping her jaw, her eyes gentle. Minji sighed, "Goddess knows how you managed to train two squires during the war." 

"The war taught them more than I did, unfortunately. There was barely any time for me to personally train them during our march and in between skirmishes. I admit I am a little envious that you get to become squire Gahyeon's knight master while the kingdom is enjoying relative peace."

"Even if it's peaceful…" Minji turned to her side to face her lover, a low snarl leaving her lips.

"Oh!" Yoohyeon let out a gasp into her pillow, limbs thrashing as Minji's touches grew ever so intimate. "Th-the Queen…"

"Her Majesty can wait."

 

🗡️🗡️🗡️

 

"The spear offers the most difficulty. It seems easy, just a long pole with a sharp end, and you poke your enemies with it. It is both effective on a horse and on your feet, but is it truly that simple?" Lady Minji recounted watching a page training session a year before. "Teaching the page to first learn to carry something so long without getting tangled up proved frustrating enough."

"And when we got to the formation, swear on my name our trainer lost half his soul…" Squire Gahyeon amplified.

"I believe most couldn't keep their mock spears upright when given command to move."

"You're right, Ser. I had a thought that surely it was easier than a sword—no fancy , simple; if nothing else I could hang onto the thing with both hands, though sometimes it still quivers when I aim it."

"It was amusing when some of the smaller pages tipped their spears backwards when commanded to move forward. The would trip an unfortunate victim near the careless carrier, then they'd stumble and their spear went out of control. Repeat until everyone experienced a hit on their head or had limbs tangled. Your formation would be abandoned, and you'd be vulnerable to an attack."

"The only easy thing about spear work is how easy it is to mess up the whole formation."

"Correct," Minji smiled, and picked up her own mock spear. "And if you were to command an infantry unit, you'd best keep your files in line. Let's see if you could turn in place without any wavering of your spear."

"You'll march?" Gahyeon dipped her head to note her knight master's limp when she joined her to form a line.

"I'll march beside you. If you had to hit me—try your best to avoid the leg, since you seem to care for it."

"I will."

The knight master had been the one to first stumble and poked Gahyeon's buttocks.

 

🗡️🗡️🗡️

 

Minji squinted her eyes as she stepped out of the pavilion. "I must apologize, for your training always had to start in the afternoon, with the sun already so high. And worse, you can't train with your fellow squire."

"I wouldn't want it any different, milady. You need to catch some sleep after working all night protecting my cousin," Gahyeon clasped her hands to her front, grinning. "And best of all I have free reign over my morning."

"I trust you used it well?"

Nodding as she stood with feet apart, Gahyeon answered with some shame. "Always. Today I studied the strategy book you recommended. Couldn't rightly make sense of it."

"Then you've already learned a lesson I took much longer to understand. Tactics could turn battles to your favour, some involved playing safe, and some are so outrageous you couldn't believe you're using it."

"How do I know which ones to use?"

"Fair times you won't know. But it is safer to have a plan than none at all. We can discuss it over a war table after our riding training, there will be maps, new and old, and we could go through some scenarios, if you're quite alright with that."

"Yes, of course!"

 

🗡️🗡️🗡️

 

It seemed to Gahyeon that events had moved at blinding speed. Only about a month earlier she'd met the lady knight Minji at the market. Herself full of awe and skittering. Her master had been a force—so sure yet compassionate. And when she allowed the thief to go, Gahyeon's long time admiration of her only grew. They had an understanding—the thief and her knight master; though the former spoke nary a word. Gahyeon reflected on Lady Minji's decision for a few nights. Her logic pelted her that it wasn't right, it wasn't fair. If every thievery was pardoned, soon lawless souls would spiral. Her moral argued that it was right, it was fair. Gahyeon didn't know the thief meant to heal—she didn't know who was ailing, she only held to her urgency to uphold the law. Either which way, Lady Minji was hard to forget. Yet as she'd spent more time with Minji, Gahyeon realised that she was… different. "Something is not right."

"About?"

"Lady Minji of Noveron."

"What, your knight master?"

"And your friend," Gahyeon nudged the busy soldier who had a spoonful of gruel filling her cheeks. "Haven't you noticed anything?"

Bora chewed her food as she thought it over. "Last time I saw her she was hunched over in Siyeon's prayer hall, before we sent her shipment to the slums. Woah, that was quite awhile back. It was strange to see her in the House, I suppose? Being a noble with no keen connection with religion or spirit and all."

"Do you think it's wrong?"

"Being a non-believer of the Goddess? Nay, I myself have my own beliefs. My family has followed the same travel spirits for generations and I won't change. Siyeon doesn't judge me for it. And that's good enough for me. As long as you be kind to the world."

"You've always been kind to me."

"Well, you're a bit special, kid. If I were back in my old village I'd have my tongue cut off for daring to speak to you, one of royal blood."

Gahyeon sighed, resting her spoon down for a bit. "I hate all the posturing."

"Yes, you've told me that before when you were going through infantry training with my squadron as a page."

"You were still the only one to treat me as a friend. Your men tiptoed around me and tried their level best to be invisible."

Bora had earned that position with much effort. "It would be hard for Lady Minji to be your friend, as she is in a position of mentorship and wouldn't like to form a bias."

"It's not that which troubles me."

"What would it be? You wouldn't make me understand by being coy."

Gahyeon took a quick look around the mess hall. There were not many soldiers around past breakfast time, and the only group still eating was out of earshot. "Sometimes she'd leave me alone to do my drills, and when I finished and searched for my master I'd find her hidden, though not well enough. Her breathing would be quick, rasping in silence that she seemed to have actively looked for."

"Is it not just a spell of nausea?"

"Nausea," Gahyeon stirred the gruel in her bowl. "That would overcome Lady Minji too. I know her leg is lame, but the way she buckled at times during our training… Bora. You're one of her healers too… Perhaps you've seen…"

"No, nothing of the sort, though the one seeing to her needs had been mostly Siyeon. For a while now I've been busy with my own fieldwork."

"I'd ask my cousin, but she'd been on a manhunt for me to answer on reports of my, er, recklessness. So I'd rather not meet her."

Bora chuckled. "Only you could skirt away from an audience with Her Majesty. I do wonder if Lady Yoohyeon had noticed, though I doubt Lady Minji would… Hmm… Knowing those two, Lady Minji would most possibly hide her troubles. As did I when they first manifested."

"I'm sorry to hear that."

"Eh, I'm dealing with it, slowly. Siyeon helps. I will ask her if she's noticed something amiss."

"Please do. I've sword training with her tomorrow. But I wouldn't know how to approach her with these claims of mine."

"You could try… not to die?" Bora shrugged.

"I suppose that's a start."

 

🗡️🗡️🗡️

 

Gahyeon began to watch Minji's blade as it met hers, first tapping it lightly, then harder. She swung through the sequences she was taught as a page, as she had been for the last month of training with her knight master. Now a squire, Gahyeon thought the days of basic sword drills was behind her, but it looked to her it was going to be her future as well. She wished she could do more, on both the matters of mind and body. How could she possibly reach out? It wasn't within her station as a mere squire. Starting to feel upset, she abandoned the correct sequence and swung her sword harder, trying to force Minji's sword aside. Suddenly it was no longer there to be tapped, instead it rapped her sharply on her ribs. "Ouch!"

"Keep to the drill, squire," Lady Minji warned. "That was the flat of my blade. It could've been the edge of your enemies' blades instead."

Gahyeon bit her lower lip, but returned to repeat the drill's sequence, meeting Minji's sword with a crisp smack. Her knight master increased her pace, and soon Gahyeon was struggling to keep up. Again Minji rapped her blade against the sore ribs, and Gahyeon erupted furiously into wild that hit nothing—until her sword was twisted out of her grasp, cluttering onto the training ground and leaving her defenceless.

"It is always a mistake to get angry," Minji sighed. "You'd need your wits about you in battle."

"Ser, for a month I am confined to this simple drill…" Gahyeon tried to reason, aware that her excuse wasn't the true cause of her anger.

"'Confined' is a strong word."

"My apologies, I'll repeat the drill a hundred times for my impudence."

"You'll do no such thing. At least not if you wish to make time for your audience with Her Majesty."

Gahyeon groaned, which made Minji chuckle.

"She has missed you. Since the trouble at the market she's asked for you plenty. And I could only make up excuses for you so many times… It's been a month now and it's rather taxing to think of a creative excuse."

Gahyeon stooped to get her sword back, thinking it over. She was grateful her master would trouble herself on Gahyeon's behalf. "Precisely why I do not wish to see her. I've been avoiding her for a month, and she's had plenty of time to stew her anger. Could I please return to my drills, Ser? One last hurrah?"

"I knew you'd ask. Well, you may. Basic drills, while boring, builds strength and character. Great as yours already are, aside from avoiding the ruler of the kingdom to your best abilities bit; they could still do with a refinement," Minji's gaze flickered away from Gahyeon's form to the corridor, where another two familiar forms lingered. "I'd send word to the Queen that you're indisposed, but Her Majesty has chosen to avail herself here to you instead."

The soft grunting and groaning increased, but not from the effort of swinging a blade. Minji sheathed hers, and nudged Gahyeon gently to the corridor when she was composed. Minji hoped her squire was. "Feel free to spend the rest of the day at your leisure. You've earned it."

Queen Yubin met them halfway, and Minji parted from the two royal bloods to Her Majesty's companion instead. "Rather rough day for my squire."

Yoohyeon leaned in and nuzzled her head with her lover, her bangs tickling Minji's cheek. 

"I'm sweaty." Minji warned.

"When has that ever stopped me?"

Minji rolled her eyes, but didn't make an effort to make distance. 

Laughing as she retreated her forehead from Minji's ever comfortable shoulder nook, Yoohyeon asked. "Have you been rough on her? Surely through the royal nagging the Queen is apparently offering now your squire is given enough of a punishment?"

"I'm still testing her. To tell you the truth, I thought she'd snap faster than this. She's done well for that part. Patience is a virtue. One could only stand doing basic drills for so long before losing one's mind, especially for someone as talented as Gahyeon."

"I still do them."

"Every single day," Minji shuddered. "I have a fair suspicion that you have lost your mind."

"Haven't had a single thought in my mind ever since I fell in love with you, aye."

"Then you haven't had your wits about you since your wee age of twelve."

"Kind of you to say that."

"You do not deny it?"

"I couldn't when it is the truth."

For one with a limp and no walking aid—(one was following her acting all goofy)—Lady Minji of Noveron moved quickly, ears tainted red. "Why do I have to fall for these oddball lines of yours?"

"To your credit, my love, you set up so many chances," Yoohyeon caught up in no time at all. "Where is your cane? Please don't tell me you have been around the whole day without it."

"I have misplaced it."

Yoohyeon couldn't quite believe what she just heard. Lady Minji rarely, if ever, misplaced things. "It is lost? Then let us look for it together."

"You mustn't," Minji held Yoohyeon to place, a hand out on her chest. "A dunce that you claim to be for me, do you think I'd allow you to abandon your duty to Her Majesty so we could look for a stick?"

"You are very particular about this stick."

"Yes, and I'll find it. Now, return to Her Majesty."

"I can assign another knight to guard the Queen."

Minji made the final word, "Ser. Please," before hobbling away, not sparing another glance behind her. She skirted the hall close to the walls, heading to the water surrounding the castle, making good time. Sure that Yoohyeon was not following her, a sense of ease bloomed inside her chest when she emerged at the furthest tip of the moat, where the castle's stones were built low and climbing in ledges down to the water. Calm as the water was, it surged quietly and ebbed, changing the colour of the castle walls where it touched.

With a special purpose in mind, Minji undid her boots and the sword on her hips and climbed down the walls until the cold water surged about her knees, sending some relief—as well as pain—up her bad leg, unpleasant like the pain she had felt from the ripped muscles and swelling she'd suffered when her wound festered. Her head pulsed, and the slight comfort her heart had felt moments before was gone—replaced by the strange strikes rapping about her ribcage. She could scarcely breathe, and her eyes were filled with visions of the past that were—not the most elegant of subject matter.

She felt warm all over and let herself slip into the water until it claimed her whole body, then struck out in long, cool gasps, and allowed the water to lap close to her eyes.

Chase them away.

The persistent, vexing ringing in her head was momentarily stopped with the sound of water in her ears.

She had missed the sea. While she had little sentimental notions about the sea, no regard on the dangers surrounding it or even its beauties, the sea was an old friend whose every virtue and tantrum she'd learned. Though she had yet understood.

Noveron governed the busiest port on the stretch of pangaea, and it had also been discussed as the cause of most battles she'd fought.

Stupid. She'd brought her line of thought back to that.

Going home sounded grand. Minji could bring Gahyeon with her. Train her along travels, being a knight means days of travel to some action and she needed to see and familiarise herself with the lay of the land beyond the castle and her gentry Sarail.

Mind filled with fancies, Minji's shallow breath bubbled to the surface—as if she could do that. Even if she tried, no doubt she'd need lots of bed rest—proper beds—as recommended by Siyeon; in between mere leagues of horseback traveling. 

She couldn't do this, Gahyeon, she—she's a brilliant and strong child, Minji had seen that and more just from a single month she'd spent with her squire. She needed someone with no mental blocks and a healthy body that required little pampering. 

Minji thought of perusing the castle's library—with discretion—to see if it was at all possible for her to surrender her squire to another lord knight.

She doubt she could make sense of the scribes even if she found them.

The weight of the water seemed to have changed around her; perhaps it was the lethargy that crept up her limbs—one of them rendered poor—or perhaps it was just a sea of blood that longed to claim her. To finally drown her as she'd done many others.

She allowed herself to drift and sink into cool, feathery darkness. A great silence consumed her, yet her thoughts were still so loud—unmediated. Then it was shortly replaced by a sudden splashing of water that she was sure she was not a part of.

Her back met another strong form that pulled her to the ledges, to a certain safety on land; that offered less of a safe harbour to her than the seas—but it was the less evil of the two at that moment in time.

"Have you lost your bloody mind?!"

Bloody mind was apt to describe Minji now; perhaps one could add bloody hands to that—the stain could never be washed away and she'd tried—though the more pressing matter was that her calf was actually bleeding, and Bora was placing her hand against the reopened wound. Her healer training kicking in, she gently prodded around it.

"I need… a dry piece of cloth," Bora muttered, looking around the ledge for something. She found Minji's boots laid neatly nearby. The thin boot lining would have to do. She made quick work wrapping the wound, but figured the makeshift bandage would not last dry for long with how drenched Minji was. Wet locks hid her eyes away from Bora's scrutiny. And when her bloodied hand reached out to the knight Minji actually flinched and curled to a smaller form of herself. Bora withdrew her hand, more surprised to see the current Minji than when she initially found the noble woman sinking in the moat. "I was—headed back… to my quarters."

"...No one passes by here," Minji's voice left her as a low rasp. Her usual strongly set cheekbones were weak. "Lady Yoohyeon sent you to search."

Bora thought being honest was the best she could do. "Yes, milady."

"My stay in the water was to be short."

"Pardon me, milady, but it didn't occur to me you needed to stay for even a second. I've never seen anyone take a dip in this here water. It's meant to serve as the castle's defence, and I wish you not be proof of its effectiveness."

"You are right, I—I don't…"

"My quarters. It is actually nearby. D'you think you could make it there?"

"It doesn't please me to ask for your help…"

"It pleases me that you thought of it at all. Come on, you've always told us soldiers to stand up when we fall; for our enemies shan't give us a moment to gain our bearing."

Minji shook her wet bangs off and graced Bora with a thin smile. "I've always known my rigidity would bite me come the morrow, but not this way."

Bora returned the small grace with a wet snort and helped the lady knight up to her feet. "It kept me alive and made me a squadron leader, milady. I've to thank you. I would make a Vow on your name, but I'm still held onto the one I've yet fulfilled."

"To heal me. On Yoohyeon's Vow."


 

🗡️🗡️🗡️


 

"Yes, we know that the Vow was for you to walk again, and considering you've been blumbering about without your cane we'd have thought you're done—but no! that's just your first offense—casually taking a bath in the water meant to drown invaders is your second offense; and not coming to your physicians when you needed us would complete your rudeness to us."

Bora, now in dry clothes, flitted her eyes in between Minji and her dearest as she listened. "Siyeon you'll not address the lady as such."

"I am a Sister with the House of Prayer. Besides the Goddess, it is against my teaching to address any other superior. The nobles, therefore, are no more than who they are—a human. As am I. And now this human is our patient."

"...I would say we are equals." Minji squeezed Bora's shoulder as the soldier became progressively more horrified with Siyeon's anger. 

While Minji had always been thankful to the two healers, lenient on the ways of curtsies and polite conversation, Bora thought their social class were still fields apart. Her friendship with Squire Gahyeon was also unexpected. She could never get used to it.

Siyeon glared at Minji, wuthering though the room was without a current of air. "And as equals, would you say to me that you are indeed alright?"

"I wouldn't say I am, and I wouldn't say I am not."

"In other words, you wouldn't like to say anythin' at all."

Minji grew uneasy under Siyeon's gaze, as if the Goddess Privia herself had taken her friend as a vessel to deliver Her divine intervention.

"You've never looked away from us, milady," Siyeon continued. "And I've known men, good men and bad men alike; wide-eyed, chasing the sight of nothing and everything. The House saw more and more; never less. I know Bora," she shifted her gaze towards her lover and it grew fond, but also sad. "I know that she fought under both you and Yoohyeon's leadership for some of the war, and she mayn't seen all that you'd seen, but it was enough. Turned her about her bed and kept her awake. Soiled her appetite and tainted her heart."

"Siyeon wasn't spared by the war either, but we made it through with what we could," Bora added. "We toil and return to each other for respite, be it brief, and then we do it all over again. We keep each other grounded. We talked about those years, bad business it was, and we mended."

"I fear I do not deserve such respite."

"And I fear you can't hear yourself." Siyeon said.

Minji stiffened as she met those eyes again. This time she held it.

"You commanded so many regiments throughout the war, and at its end stretch we believed our side, under Her Majesty, was without a doubt led by you. I'm sure the burden of sendin' many people to their deaths weighed down your shoulders. But it isn't their blood on your hands. As much as you may think they are."

"It is not all yours to bear," Bora added. "Nor Her Majesty's, or the late King."

"Are you listenin' to us at all, milady?" Siyeon sighed after a prolonged silence from the lady knight.

Water dribbled out of Minji's ear on one side and she shook it off. "I am now."

"You jest." Bora's sense of humour was not working or she might have been undone by this remark.

"No, I can assure you that it is simply unfortunate timing."

"Would you smack her for me?" Siyeon implored her lover. "As a Sister I must practice non-aggression."

"Would love to get all the water out her ears but it is way beyond my station."

"Then I shall."

Now three wide eyes met three other sets at the door to Bora's quarters. An audience of six was too large for the room—five circled around the single occupied bed even more so—but they all squeezed in.

"Or would Her Majesty wish to take the honour?" Yoohyeon asked, not looking at the Queen as she was addressing her. She'd forgotten how to conduct, couldn't move her gaze away from the woman crumbling before her. All of those words left unsaid, all of her suspicions true, and all of her fears realized. Yoohyeon thought she should've known. When Minji came to her to share her fright, she should've known. She should've asked why Queen Yubin's request alarmed her so—instead she only assured Minji that she'd do just fine. Her confidence on her looked to have only burdened.

Queen Yubin drew her arms to her back. "There's no space for a smack, I'm afraid."

"Apologies for our lacking space, and refreshments." As the host, Bora bowed to the Queen. She certainly wasn't expecting Her Majesty would be in her quarters, ever. 

"Nonsense, I was the one to assign you to this room."

"Only space for hugs?" Siyeon offered.

"I take the first one?" Yoohyeon asked everyone present. But really she was looking for consent from just one. Minji was shifty, half alarmed, half other down on difficulties Yoohyeon had no understanding and Minji had no words to explain. 

"May I go second?" A husk full of tears sounded after, and for a sudden leaping moment Gahyeon was fussed over simultaneously by her dear cousin the Queen who's ever forgiving of her mischief, the squadron leader sweet enough to entertain her request of command as third-year page out on fieldwork, the kind Sister who patched her wounds and shortcomings; and two lady knights of which companionship she admired.

"Why are you the one crying?" Queen Yubin asked with a hint of adoration. Well hidden and would've gone unnoticed if not for the whole group being close friends and family.

"I'm sorry that I've been difficult, that I am not serving you well as your squire," Gahyeon fully sobbed now. "I'm sorry that I fed your mare oats without enough nutrients that she was so upset she threw you off when we first rode together. If it would make you feel any better, she bit me on my head and chewed it like the oats I had the gall to feed her."

"Don't you worry about it, she bites everyone on the head." Bora was once tasked to bring the mare from the stables to the knight's tent. A task dreaded by all soldiers even with how much they championed their commander. Safe to say she didn't enjoy being treated as some sort of sugar cube treat.

"She bit me too, once." The Queen nodded in agreement.

Yoohyeon finally looked at her reigning ruler—scandalised by the very idea. "Might I inquire as to what purpose you were in the stables?"       

"I tended to my horse, Yoohyeon. What else? Then, ah, I dare say I was intrigued by the rumours of the infamous mare."

"Why were you tending to your horse on your own—"

"A smarter woman would stay away from a mare so infamous there is court and clergy gossip around 'er. Can't say I have ever had the pleasure of bein' bitten." Siyeon cut off Yoohyeon's words with a chuckle. Better not mention the knight's sense of duty towards the Queen or else they'd make no progress on the matter at hand—

Then Minji chuckled softly, though her cheeks were wet with tears. "This is so stupid."

Again, the rush of blood from her heart to her head had rendered Yoohyeon incapable of responding to her lover's tears. "Ah, shall we continue our conversation from before? I believe the emptiness in my head had somehow found purchase in yours and—"

Minji pulled Yoohyeon closer and buried her face into her lover's midriff. Still she had no words to say—no words to describe how she was hurt; and Yoohyeon certainly wasn't the one to hurt her. But it had all come together in a rush so sudden she was unguarded, humbled at being so harshly attacked.

She had never wanted to show weakness to Yoohyeon—her lover had always been so strong. Minji was by no means frail, but she was mounting pressure and guilt that had long since overgrown to a point of going undone. 

"You were always one to hide your hurt." Yoohyeon spoke softly, hands tussling still damp locks.

Minji had tried to hide, though it was certain she had cracked at times as Yoohyeon had caught her vulnerable aplenty; and perhaps she had shown signs she herself was barely aware of.

"Can we get into this? I want to get into this." Bora questioned first to Minji, then to the Queen.

Minji held out a hand and Bora just about pounced, with Siyeon following close. "Gahyeon?" she husked as limbs were all around her. "I thought I wasn't enough. I thought if I were to throw you into such a demanding and repetitive training schedule you'd find me unworthy as your knight master. Perhaps then you'd leave me to find a lord better fit than I—"

"Why would I feel that way? You've always been the knight master I wanted," Gahyeon's sobs never lessened. "That's why the Queen requested it of you. I had come to my cousin begging for a chance, as I'd known you never took on a squire."

"Is this true?" Minji looked up at the Queen in disbelief.

The Queen coughed lightly. "Gahyeon has no reasons to lie."

"Pile on, the both of you." Lady Yoohyeon was the one to ask.

Minji was sure she'd never seen nor felt so much crying laughing and twisting of limbs occuring ever before in her short, but evidently well lived life.

 

🗡️🗡️🗡️

 

"I've not lost your love?"

"No, my dear, you have not gotten rid of me."

"I feared the very thought; but I see now that it was less of a concern next to what you've experienced."

"You suspect."

"I could feel you drift. And while our schedules were never the same—day and night—I feel we've parted ways more times than we've met. Our swords seemed to have clashed more often too."

"Were we to spar in talk we would've left disgruntled with each other. I shall not trouble you with that. I'm more fond of our meetings on the training ground—for it was the best I know."

"I've not beat you once."

"Pray tell you've always held back." 

"Make it with what you will, I meant no offense with my actions, but I will not stand the accusations that you've enticed the Queen to have Gahyeon trust you. You've earned it, I've no doubts."

"You've mind the court gossip, then."

"A regular gossip shop, it is. I attended them on my duties and it has never done the people any good. Her Majesty's notions would never be brought forward nor passed."

"Yes, and Queen Yubin isn't exactly surprised by it. She is trying to change age-old laws and those still of that age would rightly protest."

"And the knights… Those who wish to have taken Gahyeon as their squire aren't thrilled, either. They do think you are weak, and they are always eager for one less power. Their intentions are lacking in subtlety and if they mean both of you harm… But listen to me rambling—this isn't helping. I was to take care of you."

"You'll be pleased to learn that you are."

"...And I would like to—I would like to understand it, should you mean to share."

"You've little slept."

"And so have you."

"I'm usually awake these hours."

"And I've mind to change that, lessen your work and have you rest; but you'll sooner have my head if I try to take you from your duties."

"With schemes about it is best we keep our guard up."

"What of your scheme with the water?"

"I find some comfort in them. I had felt too hot, I was seeing too much, and the world was being very loud. I meant to cool and put an end to the visions and the ringing. Bora panicked, and I may have as well. I told her I meant for it to be a short stay."

"Pray come to me when you feel the urge next. I'll draw you water that's to your liking in our tub. It may not be the same as the sea you'd confide to, but I wish it to help, even if little."

"I will remember that."

"And what of Sister Siyeon's words? Are any of them true? Has it been a long time since you've started grappling with your thoughts and memories?"

"Yes, they are true, though I've not shared them with anyone, I felt they were terrible and irredeemable. I wish dearly to not burden anyone with it, but her words do struck me as concern, not harshness."

"She's heard enough desperate cries and confession within the protective walls of the House of Prayer. And she'd healed many people who'd suffered. It is not painless with her."

"I'll meet with her more often should you permit it."

"Of course. You won't need my permission to get your wounds mended."

"How did you tend to yours, if I may ask?"

"Time. Time with you, time with Her Majesty. Time with the people."

"They don't remind you of the time of the war?"

"Plenty. You reminded me of it most, and I shall assume you felt similar. And though the worst of it hurts me the same now as if I was reliving it, I'd think of the lives we've protected, not the ones we've taken. I hear Siyeon assumed you thought you sent your soldiers to their deaths."

"I let them down, I am a failure."

"Yet you were the one erecting statues of victory, from the beginning of our campaign to its end. So when you'd like to think of what you believe in yourself; instead of 'I am a failure,' would it possibly be 'I did the best I could'?"

"I feel I do not deserve to feel it."

"But you do, you deserve it more than anyone. It will not mend the problem, Goddess knows it won't, and She had been the one to lend breathes of lives into all souls and had taken them back, not you. I know you choose not to believe in Her, but I find some solace when I get to blame Her."

"Oh dearest, I've radicalised you."

"My point is that not everyone could be saved, our enemy knew that best when they grew desperate and spared not one of their soldiers while knowing their losses were devastating. They died for their own beliefs, they were trying to better the world in their own ways, as did our late King, and that's all we could really hang on. We could care for our own little nook in this world, and our duties to Her Majesty and its people may be owed, but there are things we could realistically do and cannot do."

"We'll not mend…"

"Not so soon, and undoubtedly it will not be easy. But we'll carry on those memories with pride. Well… some."

"As it is obvious mine is scarce intact."

"I take no amusement out of it."

"Anyone could tell that was a lie."

"You love me."

"I do."

 

🗡️🗡️🗡️


"Goodness, this child does bite," Siyeon comments as Minji's mare chewed her hair as though it was hay, sending alarm to the lady knight. Siyeon's expression melted into something more sympathetic as Minji cooed at her mare, calming her down. "She trusts only you. Poor girl has been through a lot as well. I remember a tale when you'd passed out due to blood loss from your wounds, but your horse kept on carrying you out of further harm."

Minji couldn't remember what happened on account of her being unconscious. Her mare whined and pushed its muzzle on Minji's cheek. "That's what I heard too. Though I wish to hear your opinion on something else now."

"What is it?"

"It is unfortunate that it happened, but my mare had a very bad shoeing. She had an open flat foot, and the shoe was fitted too short and too close. I hadn't noticed and may have hurt her when we rode out. I've since commissioned shoes that would fit her. Do you have any remedies that could help before the refit?"

"I know some, Bora has shared a few medications that she would use on her gelding. She could take my ears off with her worries over the sorry old thing."

"I've offered to buy her a strong horse when she's made squadron leader but was turned down. I expected that she wouldn't want my charity, though it is quite a loss, as the stallion I wished to gift her was an impressive creature. A fine breed."

Siyeon smiled. "She told me she was too small for such a beast."

"Small, as in... her height?"

"Don't tell her I told you this, but she said she would not be able to mount or dismount the horse without help. That hurts her more than anything else."

Minji chuckled as she caressed her mare's neck when she cried again. "There, there, your shoes won't bother you much anymore. Siyeon will help, and your legs would heal sooner than mine."

"I'll concoct something for you, hang in there." Siyeon dared to place her hand on the mare's neck, patting it gently. This time her head didn't meet teeth.

"I've thought of purchasing a horse for you as well. It would be easier for you to travel the distance between the House of Prayer to the castle and back."

"I don't know how to ride, Ser, I've only ridden horseback with Bora on the reins."

"I'm sure Bora would be happy to teach you, Sister. And kindly tell her my offer to her is still on the table. If one day she chose to retire her gelding, I'll draw her some gold, and she may choose whichever horse she fancies."

Siyeon tightened her lips.

"Both of you have only given me your best care, I've no other means to pay you back, I'm afraid. Please accept it."

"Then we will. For now I'll head over to the castle's herbalist to see what they could avail me," Siyeon held Minji's hand and punctuated her words with a squeeze. "And you too, when you feel like you'd fade into nothing because the voices in your head keeps screaming..."

"I'll call." Minji nodded at her, eyes softer with gratitude.

"And mind the leg!"

 

🗡️🗡️🗡️

 

"Here you are," Minji said to her squire as she stood shakily. "Are you ready? Or have you had enough now that we're both sore?"

Gahyeon grinned and dusted the quilted tunic she wore for weapons training. "I'm worse off, Ser, but I'm ready."

"You'd better be. Guard!"

Gahyeon handled the sword with more assurance, and kept the cadence as even as she could. Gradually her weapon skills improved. She'd taken fewer—but never none—thumps from her knight master.

"Better," admitted Minji. "Speed it up, now, just a little. Keep the rhythm." The blades clacked together. Again, again, again. "Now a bit harder—not too much at once."

Gahyeon's arm began to tire from shock of their blades' contact. The ache spread up her arm, sweat trickled down her face, stinging her eyes. Lady Minji seemed to be slowing down too, so Gahyeon concentrated on trying to slash past her defense, as she'd done a few times during this session. Gahyeon's sword slipped past to touch her master's side.

"Good," Minji said. "That's it." Twice more that afternoon Gahyeon got a touch on Minji, and was rewarded with one of the rare smiles that she had seen reserved only for Lady Yoohyeon. "You've made so much progress in such a short time."

Gahyeon would've whooped if it weren't for her polite education stopping her short. She couldn't be caught causing a scene. She did jump when she saw her knight master slightly off-balance. "Milady. I've hurt you?"

"No, you didn't. I..."

Gahyeon steadied Minji with both hands holding on tight. "I must have. To train me, you'd pick up your weapon again and again. You'd not hold back against me because you want to encourage me, to make me grow. That was how you built the Queen's army to its reputation, and I don't have any complaints over it. But with a sword in your hand it brought memories of your ordeal and made you choke."

Minji bowed her head. "I wonder if you regret it."

"I don't, and I try to show it," Gahyeon grinned. "So it feels amazing to be complimented by you."

"I'm glad enough to know you don't hate me for being so hard on you."

"My cousin says you're harder on yourself."

The mention of Queen Yubin brought Minji's head back up. "What light has she made of your situation?"

"Just a slap on the wrist."

"It still won't do for you to be rogue. Your time will come eventually."

"Yes, but... Milady, you know it better. I don't wish to idle when I could instead help," Gahyeon removed an arm, noted that Lady Minji was steady again, and scratched an itch on her neck that'd been bothering her. "But I understand why you'd be concerned. I'll be careful. And you need to be careful too! There are hushed talks of late."

"They're loud, but they don't fear me. It is you they aim for. That's why I'm ensuring you'd be ready come what may."

Gahyeon thought about it well and long. "I've never seen it that way. Huh. With a tarnished reputation of being a rebel I'd put more chinks on the royal blood's armour."

Minji smiled. "The royal family have had their fair share of mischief. Queen Yubin certainly didn't come out of it unscathed."

"Oh I'll need to know more about that!" Gahyeon said as a parting remark, rushing off to find her cousin without even waiting for a proper dismissal from Minji.

Minji found it to be more amusing than it was an offence. She took her cane—Yoohyeon had been the one to find it leaning on the wall of Her Majesty's study—and made her way to the castle town.

 

🗡️🗡️🗡️

 

It had taken Minji a while to notice it, but when she did, it became obvious. She was being followed. With all the strange rumours of usurpation—as if Queen Yubin would ever allow herself to be assassinated before she could reach her goals—Minji figured a plan for her was also made.

But when she slipped into a secluded alley as a daring invitation, she wasn't expecting the hooded figure who has been following her to reveal herself to be the thief from months ago. "You."

The once furious face was pretty without bruise. Her cat-like eyes fluttered as she studied all of Minji's features. "What d'yer people want?"

Minji was surprised to hear her for the first time. There was a slight lisp on her words, the pronunciation was not common, but it was a deep voice. Minji had travelled well and had seen enough distinctive merchant trading in her hometown to guess the woman was part of a warrior tribe from an island to the east. "My people?"

"In the slums," the mystery woman spat. "'Tis isn't safe fer them. They could be killed."

"Could you please elaborate on that?"

"I know there be some bad bunch. Yer people want us to leave. I'm responsible to keep the holy folks safe, and while I appreciate yer help providin' us with medicine, them folk won't move as is..."

"Ah, so you are with the pilgrims. So I trust they were the ones injured when you were caught lightening the herbalist's stocks."

The woman clenched her fists. "'Tis bad fer them. They's the one with nowhere to return. What they left fer was ruined by the war, and some sung their home as a shell of what t'was."

"But they're not the bad bunch you've mentioned?"

"Nay, but if ye keep snooping about, these folk could be hurt too. 'Tis a lawless place, and they don't take to yer people kindly."

Unsure if she was being shown sympathy or gratitude—it could be a threat altogether—but this warrior woman had risked to confront Minji to tell her of a danger to 'her people', and she'd soon pay her a heed. "Describe these people of mine."

"Tall, forceful, but kind. Slum children seems to trail after her in interest. She's been around to see to some families' needs."

Minji tapped her cane on the ground. Yoohyeon. So she'd been busy. It was so alike her to reach out, she must've felt the urge to do so when she had escorted this warrior woman back to the slums. Minji smiled at her imagination of small children trudging along her lover's long legs, running after her everywhere. She could imagine it similar when first year pages line up behind Yoohyeon neatly and follow her like little baby ducklings.

"Short, stocky, energetic. I've had to lose her more than a dozen times. I'm not easy to spot and the child's tough to lose," The woman sighed. "Tis her I'm worried about."

Now that was a person Minji didn't expect. She thought the woman would describe Siyeon, as she was sure the Sister was still making trips to deliver herbs and potions under Minji's orders. "Gahyeon? She's been following you?" she asked. "I assume it was for an apology."

"Apology fer what?"

"For her aggression at the market back then, perhaps? It must have bothered her to no end."

"An end is what'd be waiting fer her in the slums. Ye mustn't return."

"And why do you?" Minji inquired, leaning on her cane, keen to understand.

"I am contracted to protect them until they reach their destinations, and so far they haven't."

"Contracted..." Minji hummed. "I wonder if it's to the same degree as the Vows are..."

"What are ye mutterin' there..."

"Oh, apologies! Well," Minji looked up to the sky to find the same blue that had also the precious ability to comfort her as the sea. She hoped her father wouldn't be upset that she was emptying her coffers to help mere strangers. Bad business, he'd say. Perhaps he would think otherwise if these strangers worked to enrich his wealth instead. "If they'd lose their home they would only need to build a new one."

"Ye speak plainly as if 'tis easy."

"It would get them out of the slums into safety. I have a boarding house at my hometown. Unfortunately, it may not be much of a comfortable living space if there's too many of your pilgrims, but it's still a roof above their head. I'll find them work at the docks, there's always a need there now that the realm isn't in war anymore. I'll need your help to relocate them."

"'Tis seem too great a deal fer us. What do ye get out of it?" The woman's cat glare glinted dangerously.

Minji smiled thinly. She knew it was a risk, but she was willing to take it. She had dwelled over the possibility before. There was only so much she could learn among the nobles without certain discretion, and her ways of polite conversation could barely unveil wicked ways. No. She'd need help. She needed someone to act among commoners. "You'll be under contract with me. I'll have you watch over the slums as its lord if you'd like that. I'm sure you can turn those ruffians useful when they have enough incentive. They would accept you easier than someone of my standing. You'll be my eyes and my ears and you'll learn all you can about ploys against the Queen."

"So I'll be yer spy. Why d'ye trust me this much? Ye don't even know my name."

"I trust anyone who is able to endure a full powered strike from me," Minji chuckled, lowering her defense around the tribe warrior. "And your loyalty proved second to none. You could have simply abandoned those pilgrims to fend for themselves, but you didn't."

The woman hugged her body, and looked straight to Minji, perhaps even beyond her. "My name's Handong."

The people of Han, Minji thought pleasantly. Adventurers and incredible fighters, every single one. Minji hoped her proposition would keep her interested enough. She happened to like her a lot. "Handong, I assume you already have my name?"

Handong nodded.

"Then... would it interest you to follow me?"

 

🗡️🗡️🗡️

 

"I've had the most interesting day." Minji said onto Yoohyeon's lower lip before going for a kiss, pressing her hand against her lover's side for a brace. Every time she kissed Yoohyeon her limp leg would waver and send her off-balance; or perhaps she was just looking for an excuse to be as close as possible. She supposed Yoohyeon liked it the same from the way her grip on Minji's shoulders tightened, pulling her onto her taller form.

Yoohyeon met Minji's gaze when they parted, and flickered her own to Minji's pillowy lips, then back up again. Their faces were only inches away. She couldn't miss the teasing glint present in her lover's warm brown eyes. "How's it interesting?" 

"I found out that you've been to the slums, for one. I'd warn you that a lady of your status shouldn't be seen there, but I know you don't care for any of that."

"My family started off as poor blacksmiths and stone workers. I wish not to distance myself from whence it first started," Yoohyeon smiled when she gave Minji another kiss. Her lover's soft sigh ensured Yoohyeon that she was not upset. Her hand cupped Minji's jaw and she smiled at the touch. "Hmm. You look perfect."

"My dear, I am more imperfect than most."

"Not to me," Yoohyeon laughed as she got back down onto the chair in their shared study. She looked back up again to see Minji still wearing the loveliest expression. "I love seeing you smile."

Minji squeezed Yoohyeon's shoulder gently. "I shouldn't keep you."

"I'm drowning in reports, sorry I can't be with you."

"Anything new to note?"

"Not much, these people are guarded and it'd take much more than suspicion to break them," Yoohyeon flipped through letters from soldiers she'd trained and fought together, sent from different regions of the kingdom. "And when I talked to the Queen about it… It came to no surprise to her."

"She wouldn't have happened to know who's behind it?"

"No, but I have learned that she has confidence that we won't betray her," Yoohyeon chuckled as she sealed a reply to one of her soldiers. "But these lords and ladies can't stop the rise of our people. Her Majesty has won their hearts with her efforts to better their lives by introducing more tax cuts."

Minji leaned her side on Yoohyeon's free arm. "Perhaps we should look into the nobles who had their earnings and coffers affected most from the new law. We'll find out. I have help."

When Yoohyeon stopped her scribing, Minji proceeded to inform her of her new plan. "Interesting. A rogue spy ring…"

"Well, it may take a while until they're active. I've a feeling—a conviction. I wager the nobles we're looking for wouldn't have the means to actually do anything if they were found out; but it still won't hurt having information that could keep them eternally on their toes. I do think it is kind to lend credence to whispered stories."

"You are scaring me, my love."

Minji smiled wickedly towards Yoohyeon.

Yoohyeon sighed, reports and urgent letters be damned, there was no way she could resist wiping that smile off of Minji's face with a deep kiss.

Minji could feel the heat from Yoohyeon's body, so familiar she could drown in it. It wasn't the same feeling as the rush of the sea with waves crashing against her body to claim her—Yoohyeon was the bright sun that warned her back with an accompanying westerly breeze, rare and good to get into her lungs and her heart. A cold terror—or a gentle caress; Minji held tight onto the latter, though warm, she shivered with desperation and quick beating of her heart.

There was still much to be done—rebuilding efforts were constant, supplies were still being sent to the poorer fiefs from the castle, reparations changed hands, common folk suffered while the nobles schemed, and in her wake and sleep Minji wondered how she'd question herself of going mad. For now Minji would allow Yoohyeon—who had leapt into the endless chasm with her—to hold her until the imperfections in her can fuse together again.

Minji would carry on the cracks in her old memories with pride, and let herself form new ones with those she's indebted to.

 

🗡️🗡️🗡️

the end.

🗡️🗡️🗡️

 

a/n: part one of this fic is a converted fic of one of my old works. the remaining part two i worked while i was in quarantine, so it's a bit rough. i like it either way. hope you enjoyed it!