mischief-makers (up to no good)

even if the moonlight disappears (we will be together)

​​​​​​

"Who on their right mind would rob a flower shop?" Minji could hear one of the officers groaned loudly in disbelief.

To be fair, Minji had the same question playing in an infinite loop in her mind. The tiny retail space she utilized for her humble business was not even a proper shop lot, really—it was more of a kiosk located at the corner of a grocery store. She only had two small refrigerators for her flowers, several tall racks, and a table apt for four dining chairs for her to fashion her customer's bouquets. Minji was also not a thief, and she had no idea what the culprit whom broke through her cash register thought—but wouldn't anyone target the grocery store instead? Surely such a store could offer a... larger take?

She tugged on the blanket draped over her shoulders as she watched the two female officers comb through the scene looking for evidence. They were in plainclothes, and their patrol car was also unmarked—looking like a regular black sedan—so Minji was initially quite confused when they first came. They showed their police identification—but Minji didn't catch their particulars—she only saw the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency badge before they both placed their IDs inside their pockets.

The taller officer had on her a soft brown outer jacket, layered with a dark grey vest and even a thin tie around her inner white blouse. It was a neat look—a little nerdy even—Minji wasn't sure if any hardened detective would want to look like an excited, freshman college student, but she couldn't deny the officer looked—well, good. She had immediately fussed over Minji when they arrived, rushing back to their patrol car to get a blanket—(that was now draped over Minji, warm and soft to touch)—and asked if Minji was hurt anywhere before she sat Minji down on a large, empty flower vase. ("You don't have chairs in your shop?" she had asked, brows furrowed.)

The other officer, not that much shorter than Minji, wore what Minji thought what a plainclothes detective would in fact, wear—a sleek leather jacket and cargo pants tucked neatly into her shiny combat boots. Under the jacket she'd put on a simple white shirt. (Minji had perhaps watched too many television shows featuring cops that dressed exactly like her.) Her hair was a neat short bob—Minji felt like the hairstyle really suited her. She couldn't make much of her facial features since this officer strode into her shop with not a glance up Minji's way, content to let her partner fuss over Minji instead.

Talking about being fussed over—the nerdy officer was back beside Minji. "Is everything alright?" she asked, still sporting that look with her eyes—gentle and oh so so endearing—placing her hand on Minji's shoulders as she kneeled down. "You must be in quite a shock. I could call an EMT for you, get you looked over."

The officer's kind features couldn't rid of its worrying lines even when Minji reassured her that she was alright.

"I'm fine, officer. Like I said, when I came in my shop, it was already empty. No one was here since I arrived forty minutes ago. And I tried not to go inside any further because I wouldn't want to contaminate the place."

The officer nodded, her gloved hands holding the tips of Minji's fingers. "Good... I... Well. My partner and I swept through the place looking for prints. There were some on the cash register especially, but..."

"I feel like those would probably be mine," Minji said sheepishly, the officer's gentle touch making her so... shy. "Anything else that strikes you odd, officer?"

A squeeze on Minji's hands, then a reluctant head shake. "No," the officer sighed as she took out a notepad. She perused the latest few pages, brows knotted again as she focused on her findings. "If this was truly a crime committed without proper planning, I think there would be obvious traces. But this was a work too clean for just random breaking and entering."

The other officer—stern faced with sharp eyes, Minji could see that now—neared them at the doorway and scoffed. "Too clean for my taste. The door's lock, and the cash register... They didn't even have much visible damage, not a usual sight when a lockpick is used. I think it's safe to assume we're dealing with someone experienced," she hugged her body as she regarded Minji. "Could you give us details on what's taken?"

"Of course," Minji said, watching the nerdy officer switch to an empty page on her notebook, jotting down Minji's words. "About 1 million won in small changes, give or take... I will get most of my earnings deposited in my business's bank account after closing every day, so there isn't a lot of cash in the shop overnight. There's also a silver ring that I keep in the register. Is... Is that missing as well?"

The officer stopped writing. "A ring?" 

"Yes."

She turned to her partner, "Did you find a ring?" to which the answer she received was a mere head shake. Said partner then went back into the shop without uttering a single word.

"I see," Minji nodded, shoulders slumped slightly. She had clear hopes, but it was apparent that just about any valuables were taken. The ring was... "It was a memento that I kept close, usually, but..."

Thankfully the officer didn't press her. Still wearing that wounded puppy look—(Minji wondered whom among them were the actual victim of a crime)—the officer gave Minji's hand another gentle squeeze. "It's alright. We just need more details for the case write-up. You can use this estimate of loss for your insurance claims later, I hope you have insurance?" the relief washing over her face was obvious (and very adorable) when Minji nodded affirmative. Insurance was one thing Minji studied thoroughly before she opened shop. She needed the best bang-for-the-buck deals for her shop's protection. Satisfied that Minji could at least claim some money for the damages she'd suffered, the kind officer stood up and pointed to the interior of the shop. "One of the see through glass on your display rack is smashed... This was the only major damage the burglar inflicted on your shop besides the picked locks... Please be careful when you clean up."

Minji smiled. "Of course."

"We'll call you to the station when we made any findings, miss florist," the stern faced officer said as she emerged from Minji's shop with a duffel bag in hand. Minji assumed it was the bag containing all the crime scene evidence the officers found. She gave the place another once-over, before focusing on the front door. "I suggest you get your locks replaced soon."

"Yeah, right. That's a good idea," Minji commented.

"If you need a recommendation..."

Of course the sweet, nerdy officer would try to help Minji in finding a locksmith as well. Minji couldn't even suppress her giggle. The thought of this officer being too kind-hearted to be a lawman didn't escape Minji. "It's okay, I'll call a friend. She's kind of my go-to for anything shoes, bags, leathers, gadgets, and of course, the occasional locks."

"Ah," the two officers chorused. "A cobbler, then."

"Cobblers are magical." Minji said, simply. She watched as the officer wearing the leather jacket—Minji dubbed her Leather—opened their car's rear passenger door and shoved her duffel bag inside. She didn't linger and quickly slipped into the shotgun seat. Nerdy—Minji couldn't help it (at least she's not just calling the officer Pretty)—was still in front of Minji, with no indication that she was leaving the scene. Struck by a sudden realization, Minji let out an audible gasp. "Oh! Right, um," she hastened to get the fluffy blanket off her shoulders, only to be gently stopped. "Officer?"

"No—It's okay. You can... You can keep it. It looks like you need it more than me right now," Nerdy said, a soft smile on her face. "Even if it provides you just the smallest bit of... warmth and... safety. Today, well... You—You need it. Please take it."

Minji assumed she was not the only one tongue tied with this outcome. She flashed the officer a thankful smile. Nerdy truly had no idea how much her fussing was helping Minji find calm in the turbulent chaos of her unfortunate day. A bright light amongst a sinister dark of uncertainty and fear. Her flower shop was broken in—a first in five years of operation—and if Minji had to harbour a guess... She could feel her heartbeat hastened. It couldn't be possible... Right? She blinked repeatedly, feeling the officer hovering closer. Oh. She was waiting, still. Minji needed to say something, anything—Now if only she could find a way to express her gratitude more than just a simple, "Thank you."

Nerdy nodded. She looked content, and was just turning to get to the unmarked patrol car when Minji got an extra shot of courage.

"Will I see you again?"

The officer stopped in her tracks, her face sporting a quick flush. "Um—Yes. We'll call you when we found anything..."

Of course, even Leather said they'd call Minji should there be any new findings. "Right," she pulled the blanket closer around her. "Well..."

A last nod. "Please be careful, miss," then the officer rushed to the driver's side.

Minji watched the car drive away with a strange feeling stirring inside her stomach. She couldn't figure out it was because she was scared of the burglary, or if she was—scared—because this was not the end. Or she was scared for another reason altogether.

 

💐💐💐

 

Minji decided she'd still open her shop on the day of the break-in—wishing to not disappoint the customers who had placed orders on a custom bouquet. She still called them ahead of time and gave them the news of the burglary that happened overnight, to which all of her customers persuaded her to just close for the day; so she could rest—Minji felt mostly numb, but the break-in was indeed a traumatic event, they all told her; and she needed to have some time to herself—and that they could get their flowers elsewhere. Still, Minji waited until it was almost noon until Bora arrived with her heavy duty installation kit in tow.

"Geez," Bora knelt in front of the shop to study the damage on the door. "This is such a clean pick. If it weren't for the missing money, I think you won't even know your shop's broken in."

"It was all the bits of glass scattered everywhere that clued me in, actually." Minji murmured.

"Oh yeah. That's weird too. Why's it just that rack that's broken, I wonder?"

"I dunno, Bora," Minji sighed. "Just happy most of my flowers and growing seeds aren't tampered with. Well, most. Some of the cacti on the smashed rack wasn't so lucky."

Bora laughed softly as she took out one of the broken door lock's screw. Lying on the ground next to her was a brand new door lock. "You love these roots and leaves way too much, Minji."

"They're all alive, you know." Minji pouted.

"I know, I know," another screw was taken out, then off the door knob went. After removing the two screws from the latch plate on the edge of the door, she was almost done. Bora worked smoothly as she teased Minji with a smile. "They're like your children, each and every one of them plants."

Minji heaved a soft sigh, then clutched onto her blanket tighter.

"You cold? Head back inside the shop, silly." Bora warned as she removed most of the interior of the door lock.

"No, I'm okay."

"Sure?"

"Mm-hmm."

Bora shrugged a silent 'do-what-you-like', though her eyes studied the blanket for just a second too long. With the broken door knob fully removed, Bora measured the empty space and groaned. "Aw shoot, I think this hole is a little different in size. I've got the wrong replacement."

"That happens to the best of us." Minji assured her.

"Nah, not when I'm the best of the best," Bora shot a glare at the empty space where Minji's innocent door knob were once installed. She rummaged through her set of equipment for a solution. "Guess I'll just make a new hole that fits the replacement knob."

"Thanks for helping me out, Bora."

"Anytime!" The cobbler—No, locksmith today—grinned. "I was just upset you didn't call me earlier! I would've been here faster than the police, you know."

"I know you would, that's why I didn't call you." Minji laughed. "I think you won't even give the police space for them to work if you were here."

"And to think you even want to keep the place open for the day. If I were you, I'd have gone home sobbing and nursing a whole tub of ice cream," Bora muttered as she gave the existing holes and the setback a once-over, then measured its diameters again. She would need to support the hole saw to prevent it from walking and thus ruining the measurement again. "Okay, I think this should be an easy fix," as she worked on making a new hole, Bora cautiously asked. "You sure you're okay?"

"I am in a bit of a shock." Minji answered truthfully.

"I'm not surprised... You should really take the day off."

"Yeah, all of my customers told me off too," Minji recounted. "I'll go home after you're done."

"Good," Bora said as she saw through a new hole. She tried installing the new latch and nodded in satisfaction. It was a perfect fit. "It'd be best if you just rest today... Hey. Want some company later?"

"Actually," Minji bit her lower lip. She didn't want to impose on her best friend, but she was also short of options. "I'm kind of scared to go home... Is it okay if I crash at your place tonight?"

"Was about to suggest the same thing, actually. I've closed my shop early too, I thought you needed some company for such a hellish day," Bora was excited to spend some time with Minji, but she was also growing worried. Not one to keep mum on her thoughts for too long, she questioned Minji anxiously as she installed the new door knob. "Minji... You don't think you were targeted because of..."

Minji shook her head. She had no idea what was going on either. "If it's really because of my father... Why now? And why here...? I'd been operating this shop for years without any issue."

Bora's eyes softened. She quickly screwed the new latch plate shut. "Almost done. Wait just a little and I'll get you out of here."

"My hero." Minji said, half kidding and mostly grateful she had Bora with her. Oh, and—the blanket—she also had the blanket.

Bora was heaven-sent, Minji was sure. The woman coddled Minji with her favourite food and put on Minji's favourite variety shows to help her take her mind of the recent events. They waste away the afternoon, then evening, doing mostly nothing, and chatted aimlessly until it was well after midnight and Bora could no longer keep her eyes open. Seeing Bora dozing off on the couch, Minji too, pulled the officer's blanket to her chest and tried to find precious sleep.

 

💐💐💐

 

Nightmares had plagued Minji's sleep last night, but the real nightmare was the angry paint strewn along the white walls of her flower shop, just above the flowers refrigerators. 

Bora hovered nervously besides Minji, both of them waiting for the police officers to show up.

"," uttered Leather as she pushed past the broken (again) front door. This time, the lock wasn't even picked. Instead, the perpetrator had simply broken the tempered glass window on the upper part of the door. "That's..."

Nerdy followed her partner in. She looked rather pale as she studied the paint mark.

They all knew the implications of the spilled paint.

The police officers cleared the scene, and Minji was brought to the police station. Bora was going to accompany her, but Minji insisted otherwise. She'd be safe with the police.

(She didn't want to drag Bora further into what was positively growing to be her mess.)

Minji learned both of the officers' names, properly this time.

Detective Kim Yoohyeon—the taller officer with a penchant of looking like she didn't quite belong among the gruff looking officers marching in and out of the station—sat with Minji, a few documents taking her attention away for now.

Detective Lee Siyeon—not wearing her leather jacket this time—could be seen at her adjacent desk, tearing through her hair with how many times she'd swept through her dark locks with her hands.

"This have... This case have loan sharks and organized crime painted all over it, quite literally," Yoohyeon sighed as she thumbed through one last document. She took several photos out of a file, and showed Minji each one. "Look, these photos... All of them had the same pattern. Shops, offices, or houses, they were broken in, valuables were taken and the victims were left to deal with very minimal damage to the property. Then, the following few days, they'd vandalize the property with red paint."

"Loan sharks." Minji muttered.

"Are you... Did you take out a loan with any... disreputable lender? Any predatory lending...?"

"I wouldn't call my bank loan predatory... Um—Would you?"

"Commercial bank loan? For your shop?"

"Yes..."

"Then, no," Yoohyeon smiled thinly. "Banks are not predatory lenders."

"Still feel like they are, sometimes."

"I understand that," Yoohyeon leaned her back on her chair, reminiscing—trying—to lighten the mood. "Once, their collection agency called my phone during an operation... I almost jeopardize the whole thing trying to tell the debt collector that I've made my monthly payment."

Yoohyeon's attempt to break the tense air worked. Minji chuckled softly at her story.

"You didn't set your phone on silent mode to focus on your operation?"

Yoohyeon scratched at the back of her neck. "I was nervous, alright... I forgot..."

Just then, Siyeon wheeled her chair over and gave Yoohyeon her phone. "Not sure if you'd like this one."

Yoohyeon's face scrunched together once she took a glance at the caller ID. She brought the phone to her ear, and Minji could see how the officer tensed up, her shoulders knotted uncomfortably.

After the brief call, Yoohyeon slumped further down her chair, softly murmuring, "..."

"What happened?" Minji shot both of the detectives a concerned look. Yoohyeon suddenly cussing was a shock to her. They both looked incredibly upset. "What was the call about? Who called?"

"Your case is getting transferred... Organized Crime is taking over." Siyeon provided reluctantly.

"I don't understand..."

"It's out of our hands, I'm sorry." Siyeon said, wheeling back to her desk after she took her phone from Yoohyeon.

"You're both taken off my case, then?" Minji asked Yoohyeon, whom had her hands fully covering her face.

"Yes. We're..." Yoohyeon grunted softly, then straightened her back. "It's not under our jurisdiction anymore. Another detective is taking over. He'd handled all cases with this kind of modus operandi. He'll do well, I can assure you, miss Kim," she stopped, and it was clear to Minji that Yoohyeon didn't want to be taken off her case. She was flushed red, and Minji felt more than saw the tightness in Yoohyeon's grip on the back of her hand. It was a fleeting touch, but Minji could tell all the same. "He'll contact you soon."

A uniformed police officer escorted Minji out of the station half an hour later, with the simple instruction to wait for the new investigator to call her first.

As Minji was stepping out of the safe place to the unforgiving reality of God-I'm-really-in-danger, a voice, the voice that Minji actively looked out now—rang behind her. Minji turned to see Yoohyeon rushing to her, breathless.

"I can't—" she gasped. "I can't just let you go like this."

Minji almost heaved a relieved sigh. "I hoped that you weren't."

"Tonight..." Yoohyeon was still having trouble breathing.

"I'm staying with my friend, Bora. You've met."

"The magical cobbler," Yoohyeon managed a smile. She's regaining her breath. She was calmer—though obviously still feeling afraid. "You said you live by yourself at the address on your ID... So... Well. I'm glad that you're not going back there alone."

"Me too. I'm troubling my friend for a bit, but I think she'd feel better if I stay with her as well."

"She's a good friend." Yoohyeon commented.

"The best of the best."

If Minji didn't know any better, she'd say Yoohyeon looked rather... jealous. "Well... Officer. Why'd you run after me until you couldn't even breathe?"

"Oh!" Yoohyeon gasped and hastily went through her pockets. She checked her pants first, then to her shirt's chest pocket. From there, she fished out a folded note. "Here. If you need help... Might be faster to call me rather than calling the emergency number."

Minji took the small paper gingerly. "Thank you."

Yoohyeon colored with a little flush.

"Please don't answer my call if you are in a super secret operation."

Yoohyeon only grew more crimson in her full cheeks.

 

💐💐💐

 

Minji didn't need to use the number for the following week. She'd reopen her shop after two days of investigation. The new detective—from the big headquarters, Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency's Organized Crime division—whom took over her case made quick work with the place. Compared to the Yoohyeon-Siyeon pair, this detective chose to clear the place out—evidence, plants and all, leaving empty refrigerators and racks just as barren. That left Minji needing to scout other florists willing to lighten their stocks at a wholesale price.

Obviously Minji wasn't quite so upset, the detective was just doing his job—but those plants were her life and blood—her children!

Standing in her completely empty shop, Minji felt the foreboding future settle in her stomach again. She was expecting her shop would be broken in again, but days passed, stocks arrived, and Minji had the place full and vibrant again in just four days. Then, it was business as usual. Actually, business was even better. Her regulars poured in, offering sympathetic voices and support. 

Bora came almost every day, her whole body tense. She'd come to have lunch together with Minji, then left to go back to her shop, only to return to fetch Minji on her way home.

On some nights, Minji's fingers are close to the 'Call' button on her phone, next to Yoohyeon's number, just to unload all of her anxiety to the poor police officer—that Minji needed her, that she was so scared, that she was potentially endangering Bora's life as well.

Minji always decided against it.

"Hey," Bora joined Minji on the couch just as the woman pocketed her phone. "You think it's all going to be fine from this point on?"

Minji shook her head, pulling her knees towards her chest. "I don't know."

"You really think it's because of your pops?"

A sigh. "Maybe," Minji answered. "I thought it was... It was all done and dusted when my father died in that car accident."

Bora scoffed. "Tell you what, I've never once accepted the fact that it was an accident."

Minji turned her head slowly towards Bora. Her tone was accusing, but her eyes betrayed her true feelings. Her friend was worried. "Me too," Minji muttered. "I guess my past has caught up."

"Have you told the police this?"

"That my father racked up a mountain of debt from possibly all gangs out there? That could sure help cut down the long list of potential suspects."

"Yeah. That. Have you told 'em?"

"I've told the detective currently working on my case."

'But Yoohyeon? I couldn't.'

 

💐💐💐

 

Minji should've known the relative peace and quiet wouldn't last long—why would she believe otherwise?

But the reality was she didn't want it to be true—that she was being threatened to pay her late father's dues—she never wanted a part of that ever since she was young.

But she was indeed, a part of it, judging by the flurry of rocks being thrown into her shop one afternoon. That, and the screaming that sounded a lot like: '!'

'Pay up!'

'Or we'll kill you just like we killed your dad!'

Minji guessed it was that. In between the loud sounds of glass crashing and falling to pieces and her own screaming—she couldn't make all the threats out clearly.

Then, all of a sudden, the rocks stopped smashing through her shop's windows and refrigerators. Minji slowly stood up from her spot under the table to peek outside.

There were vivid sounds of struggle out on the street, and Minji hoped—prayed—whomever it was that stopped the onslaught of rocks—that it wasn't Bora or worse, just any good samaritan thinking they could do... good samaritan things.

It was the worst option ever.

The good samaritan was Yoohyeon.

Minji watched—terrified—as Yoohyeon wrestled with the burly man whom had, presumably, been the one terrorising Minji with all of his threats for the past few weeks.

Yoohyeon fought with... finesse. Every punches thrown at her was countered after she side stepped the blow. Once, she even grappled the gang member's arm when he clumsily threw a hook. There was a sickening crack as Yoohyeon pulled on his arm with the inside of her strong thighs. She had somehow twirled her way there after she caught his arm.

To Minji's untrained eyes, Yoohyeon's movement didn't seem physically possible, yet Minji was seeing it all right in front of her. Yoohyeon slipped out of furious blows, grappling—pushing and pulling—her way around limbs and throwing the hulking man to the cold, hard ground when he lost his balance. Even with a lame arm, the man was relentless. He kept on kicking nimbly and even punched with his good arm, landing a few hits on Yoohyeon's face and core, much to Minji's horror.

Still, Yoohyeon kept at it, dodging a straight jab, and going down to the man's center. She threw her whole weight and got a heavy elbow on his gut, disabling him for a second, before going onto his knees. Minji's sight was then blocked by Yoohyeon's own body, but she heard the sickening crunch all the same. Yoohyeon had either dislocated the man's knee, or she had broken it altogether.

From his wrenching howl, it was most probably the latter. Just as quick as the blows to his knee, Yoohyeon turned him over, took out her handcuff and finally managed to cuff the man into submission.

Minji rushed through the broken (again!) front door to Yoohyeon as the detective stumbled on her feet. "Yoohyeon!" Minji held her by her waist, and Yoohyeon seemingly lost all of her energy right then and there, leaning most of her weight heavily towards Minji. "Yoohyeon... God."

"Hey," Yoohyeon weakly greeted the florist. She had small cuts over her right cheek. Minji guess she'd be all blue and purple soon from taking all those punches. "...You never called."

Minji looked back at the burly man. He seemed to be struggling against the handcuff, but with a dislocated shoulder and a broken knee, he was not going anywhere.

Like clockwork, the unmarked patrol car Minji knew was Yoohyeon's and Siyeon's rounded the corner with its siren blaring, clearing some of the onlookers off the small street. Another patrol car with the distinct blue marking of the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency followed just behind.

Minji set Yoohyeon down gently on the sidewalk, eyes burning with tears and fear and Minji gasped—

During their scuffle, the burly man had buried a piece of glass into Yoohyeon's side. "No..." 

Siyeon slid right beside Minji, eyes just as wary, looking for injuries. When she found the glass piece jutting out of her partner's side, she immediately attempted to calm Minji down. "Miss florist. Relax, here," she gave Minji a piece of cloth, then guided her hand to Yoohyeon's injury. "Press the cloth on the wound. Don't let go of the pressure and don't take the glass out. Or else Yoohyeon would just lose more of her blood."

"Okay," Minji followed Siyeon's order, placing enough pressure on the injury on Yoohyeon's side, trying her best to ignore the pained whine coming from Yoohyeon. How was Yoohyeon able to fight so viciously with a piece of glass embedded on her side? "You'll be okay."

Siyeon shot a look at Yoohyeon and they seemed to have reached a silent agreement. The stern faced detective peeled away from Minji to help the uniformed officers apprehend the burly man.

"Should I call an EMT for you?" Minji asked in between quiet sobs. "Get you looked over."

Yoohyeon laughed, despite—despite everything.

'God, she's so annoying.' Minji thought, resting her forehead on Yoohyeon's sweaty one.

"...I wanted you to call me."

"I know, I'm sorry I didn't call you."

"It's 'kay... Are you," Yoohyeon drew a short gasp of air, her eyes clenched shut from a sudden jolt of throbbing agony. "...Okay? Not hurt?"

"Shh, save your strength," Minji kissed Yoohyeon's forehead and pressed harder on Yoohyeon's side, eliciting a pained grunt from the latter. "I'm sorry. God. Please... Worry about yourself."

"S-sorry. Force of habit."

"Comes with the job?" Minji managed a small smile. That was so like Yoohyeon to worry about others while she herself bled out onto the street.

"...Yeah."

"You're doing well," Siyeon's voice could be heard again. It was coming from Minji's right. No, left? Minji couldn't tell which direction's left from right anymore. "Keep the pressure on, miss florist!"

All that mattered was she had Yoohyeon in her arms.

"...Minji?"

"I'm right here. I'm not leaving you."

Soon enough another distinct siren—an ambulance—joined the sound blaring from Siyeon's patrol car.

Siyeon had a harder time prying Minji away from her wounded partner than she had expected.

 

💐💐💐

 

Minji had a few cuts on her arms and shoulders, presumably from the shattered glasses that rained down on her. An EMT administered first aid on her, much to her protest that—no, please-please help Yoohyeon first, not me-please—but obviously another paramedic was already at work on Yoohyeon—Minji just couldn't seem to be able to process it all.

As if she needed more reasons to be so embarrassed—She may had hurt Siyeon too while she struggled.

Bora was next to Minji at the trauma center in a matter of minutes after Yoohyeon was wheeled into the operation room. Siyeon—bless her heart—had called for Bora on their way to the hospital.

It was either the fact that Bora's calming presence was right next to her, or the painkillers had muddled her mind beyond consciousness—but Minji fell asleep.

She didn't have any nightmares this time, even if her rest was cut short so suddenly.

 

💐💐💐

 

Minji's life was a blur after that—she woke up at the police station, learned that she was being kept there—for both questioning and protective purposes. Siyeon pitied her, and made Minji's ordeal as comfortable as she possibly could—gave her verbal assurances and updated her on Yoohyeon's conditions—that was until the entourage from Organized Crime arrived—and was Minji properly drilled with questions then.

Her line of questioning ended just short of four hours, and Minji was thirsty, tired, hungry, and sleepy all at the same instance. She was going to be kept inside the small, dim room for a longer time—Minji didn't know just how long—until Siyeon's voice sounded in the scratchy speaker.

"Yoohyeon just came out of her surgery. She's going to be fine."

Minji practically collapsed on her seat.

 

💐💐💐

 

"What do you mean you'll serve a month's worth of work suspension even after you've fully recovered?" Bora couldn't believe the nonsense some ridiculous bureaucracy had placed on her new friend Yoohyeon.

The detective on bed rest only looked sheepish... and even shy.

"She was taken off miss florist's case, and yet she went and staked out her shop anyways," Siyeon kindly explained. "She went against a direct order and hierarchy, so of course some punishment was required to set things straight."

"Are you gonna call Minji that forever?" Bora raised a curious eyebrow.

"It fits her," Siyeon hummed melodically. "I like 'Miss Florist' better than her name."

"Why don't you ask Minji if she liked being called that rather than her name."

"I don't mind." Minji answered as she carefully peeled an apple.

Bora gasped. "You traitor, I thought you'd understand!"

"Don't mind Siyeon," Yoohyeon murmured softly, her voice still weak from the strain of back-to-back surgeries. "She has trouble referring people by their name—too intimate, she'd call it. It took her 3 months since I partnered up with her for her to call me by my given name."

"Call my name." Bora dared.

"Bora."

A chorus of gasps rang in Yoohyeon's hospital ward.

Bora narrowed her eyes. "You've got issues, detective."

"Never said I don't got issues."

"Anyways," Bora coughed into her fist. "What happens now?"

"Miss florist needs to find a different moniker, I'm afraid. We're going to place her under our protection, obviously," Siyeon said. "If she could assume a new identity and keep the heat away for a hot moment, Organized Crime could—" Siyeon made an impressive eye roll. "...hopefully, track down the gangs and shut them down. For good."

"It's not going to be that easy, right?"

"Not my place to say." Siyeon shrugged.

Bora harrumphed. "It still doesn't change the fact that Yoohyeon was conveniently there when Minji needed her the most. I don't get how your higher-up thinks."

Siyeon hummed again. "Easy, she was conveniently there because she was pretty much stalking her. Which is a whole other crime that I'm sure you're not ready to hear about, Bora."

"Oh my god, let's take this outside." Bora groaned audibly and pulled Siyeon out of the small ward by her arm.

"They sure get along well." Yoohyeon noted with a smile once the two women were out of earshot.

Minji shook her head slowly, exasperated. She would rather focus on the apple she was slicing than the muffled discussion occuring outside the ward. A nurse could be heard berating the duo for causing a ruckus. Then, the hallway grew quiet again with only the sound of squeaky wheels going to and fro the nurse station.

Plating the apple neatly, she offered a slice to Yoohyeon, whom happily chewed the sweet treat away. The resemblance to a puppy munching on some kibbles was still uncanny. "But Bora was right, in a way, if you hadn't been there, I don't know what would have happened to me."

"Well, I, um—what Siyeon said... I wasn't really stalking you. I watched over your shop sometimes... Like, on my lunch break... When I'm able to, I'd—I'd go and just... scope things out. I was... I was really worried."

"You know, perfectly normal stuffs."

Yoohyeon pouted. She didn't really have a proper excuse to what she'd done. "I'm sorry."

"No, dearest, don't be sorry. Goodness. I didn't make it obvious that I'm just joking, did I?"

"Didn't catch the tone, no."

"Oh. Well..." Minji forked another slice of apple. "You did almost got yourself killed. So I guess I am kind of angry."

Yoohyeon whimpered—whimpered.

Sighing, Minji gently brought the apple to Yoohyeon's mouth, whom took it gingerly. "I was really scared," she confessed. "When I looked outside my shop and saw you wrestling with that brute, I... I swear, my heart stopped beating for a while. I couldn't feel anything. Couldn't think anything."

Minji rid of the plate on the bedside nightstand and went in for an embrace. "Thank you for saving me."

Yoohyeon's side throbbed, but still she pulled Minji closer to her. She squeezed Minji tightly—as tight as she could—which wasn't really that tight because of how weak she was. Still, Minji understood. And appreciated it.

Their shared embrace lasted for a while, both sides refusing to let go—not until it got too stuffy and warm. They reluctantly parted. Just slightly, keeping a small distance between each other.

And Yoohyeon wasn't entirely sure what really pushed her—her mind's not right, riddled by potent painkillers—and Minji didn't—didn't move, at all. And she really was the ultimate temptress, luring Yoohyeon in with her teary eyes—while set with a layer of anguish; they held an incredible strength, just a flicker, blink-and-you-miss-it kind of force—except Yoohyeon could see that might all the time and—

Well—she'd gone and kissed her.

And it felt like... finally.

All of Yoohyeon's longings melted away. The throbbing at her side grew dull. She kissed Minji with everything that she had, and everything that she was. Their touch burned brightly and everything suddenly made sense—placing them both in an enchanted state of being—

And the sweet taste of apple was there. And Minji smelled like a field of flowers and fresh fruits and chilly winter air.

It was a touch—quick, soft.

Really, it was mostly the apple and cold hospital air-conditioning.

But Yoohyeon still kissed with the passion of a woman tasting the promise of her true love and—

God. She didn't ask for Minji's consent, did she?

"I'm sorry, I didn't—"

Yoohyeon found out very quickly that she didn't need to apologize; Minji had closed the little distance that was left between them once again; and this time, Yoohyeon knew that this memory would last forever.

 

💐💐💐