Prologue

Tale of the Cursed Princesses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Tell me a story, mama. Please?” Five-year Karina begged her mother as she was being tucked in bed.

 

“Okay. What do you want this time? Beauty and the Beast? Rapunzel?” Her mother offered but Karina shook her head.

 

“The one that auntie Seulgi told me last time. The cursed Princesses.” Karina replied.

 

Irene made a mental note to call Seulgi after Karina sleeps. She left her kid with her bestfriend for a few hours and she starts talking about the Cursed Princesses.

 

“There’s no such thing as the Cursed Princesses, sweetie. Aunt Seulgi is a children’s book writer, that’s why she’s good at making up stories.” Irene explained.

 

“But I want to hear it from you, mama. Please? I promise to sleep after.” Karina reasoned, making Irene gave up.

 

“Okay. Okay. I’m gonna tell. But I’m going to tell the story only once.” Irene gave in.

 

Karina took her pig stuffed toy and gave it a squeeze as Irene began the story.

 

Once upon a time, in far away kingdom, there lived King HyunBaek and Queen YeonTae who remained childless for 10 years. Queen YeonTae felt anguished of failing to provide an heir to the kingdom and soon became sick. King HyunBaek called upon all the scholars and physicians to cure the Queen but all of them failed. As the Queen became more  frail and weary, the King’s desperation grew.

 

King HyunBaek ordered his soldiers to search for the witch in the forbidden forest, only to find themselves lost. 

 

Prince InJong, the king’s younger brother, felt the agony of his brother and couldn’t stand keeping still. At midnight, he quietly escaped the palace and began his search for the witch. 

 

Prince InJong’s horse grew tired as they travelled through the night. They stumbled upon a spring and decided to take a quick break. 

 

Just as he and his horse drank some water from the spring, Prince InJong heard a delicate singing voice behind a huge rock. He left his horse to follow the sound and found himself looking at a beautiful enchantress. 

 

The enchantress saw Prince InJong and was captured by his beauty. They both found themselves falling in love at first sight. Together, they had spent days enjoying each other’s company but alas, he was reminded of his purpose and as he told his love, she admitted that she was the witch that he was looking for. 

 

In love, she followed him out of the forbidden forest. What was days in the forest

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter