six

Illicit Affair
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The leaves are starting to change its hue to orange while some are falling off the tree indicating that autumn season has commenced. If her memory serves her correct, today’s temperature will fall around 17 degrees as mentioned on the radio during breakfast with her wife.

That’s why for today, Wheein opt to wear her navy-blue McGill University sweatshirt, which she got when she was studying for her MBA in Canada and a black denim pants to complete her look. She also took her long black coat that she plans to wear when she gets into the university since she still needs to be in a smart casual attire as a professor.

Gathering the documents scattered around her table, she quickly scans on each of it, leaving the ones less important on her table and shoving the others on her briefcase bag. She is now ready to start her day when she realized something is missing, her contact lenses.

She rummaged through the bag she brought earlier from her wife’s house, only to find her empty contact lenses’ cases. She took her phone, planning to ring Yongsun to ask her to bring her contact lenses which she forgot in the Kim's when she received a text from the woman she’s planning to call, letting her know that she’s on her way to the campus.

Professor Jung contemplated whether to ask her to drive back and fetch her forgotten contact lenses. But if Yongsun drove back home, Wheein knows she will be late for her first period, so she just responded:

Take care driving, babe. See you later. I love you!

She pocketed her phone and grabbed the glasses she was wearing earlier when she got home. She has a bad astigmatism, reason why she needed her corrective lenses. She wears the clear contact lenses at work, and by night, she gives her eyes a rest by wearing her glasses instead.

Fifteen minutes before her first class, Wheein parked her motorcycle to her usual spot in front of the stadium and collected her bag from the side compartment. She hangs her coat on her left arm while her right hand carries her bag.

She subtly looked around and can’t help but notice the specific set of eyes watching her from the stadium. Their eyes met for a split second, and it was enough to create a pink blush on her face and a soft smile on her lips.

“Kim Yongsun, you’ll really get us caught.” She whispered under her breath, shaking her head, knowing her wife’s attention is all on her.

Wheein just finished her two consecutive classes for the morning and was on her way to their personal smoking area. She patted on the pockets of her pants, searching for that specific box, however, it wasn’t there. She searched in her coat however, there was nothing in there, except her keys, confirming that she forgot her cigarettes in her bag. She sighed and walked to her office’s direction.

They still have thirty minutes before lunch and the Polsci professors agreed to spend it at the ‘Chamber’ where they can also discuss where and what to eat. When Wheein enters her office, she was instantly greeted by a bouquet of flowers sitting in the middle of her table. She walks to the red roses and finds a card attached next to it. It reads;

You look really good in those glasses.

-Professor Kim

Wheein can’t hide the smiles that are slowly creeping in her face. Yongsun is really the sweetest and there’s no way we can deny that fact. She caresses the letters on the card when she noticed something. Something different.

The penmanship, it’s way different to her wife’s. The handwriting on the card is neat, way too neat. It’s not that Yongsun’s penmanship wasn’t, it’s just that there is too much difference with the . Also, the way each letter was written seems to be so careful that it almost looks perfect. Her wife doesn’t write her letters like that, her wife seems to be in hurry whenever she’s writing a letter to her or just in general. And most importantly, something crucial is missing.

You see, if this was indeed her wife's, this card has to have a heart shape on it, either the card itself or heart drawings all around it. Her wife, Professor Kim Yongsun, the terror professor of the PE Faculty, excessively puts on hearts on anything that she’s giving to Wheein. The packed lunch she used to prepared for Wheein? Expect there’s going to be a heart shaped kimbap on it. The small reminder notes she left on Wheein’s room? Those are heart shaped sticky notes. And recently, the grading matrix sheet she gave to Wheein as a reference guide she can use in grading her students, contains a small note at the bottom the reads;

Saranghanu, Professor Jung. ♡♡♡

Wheein was in deep thoughts that when a visitor entered her office, it startled her. “Those are really pretty flowers.” The voice said.

The PolSci professor looked up and was greeted by the warmest smile she had ever known. “Thank you for this.” She stood up and approached her spouse for a hug.

Yongsun accepted the hug, even if she was perplexed. “What do you mean ‘Thank you for this’?”

Wheein pulled herself from the hug to get a good look on the older woman’s face. “Didn’t you buy this?”

“No.” Yongsun answered with a furrowed brow. “I actually thought you’re giving those flowers to me.” She jokingly said knowing her wife will be bothered by this.

Sure, it was Wheein who received the flowers and Yongsun may feel a bit upset because of this. But as we have established before, Professor Jung puts her wife over everything. As much as she could, she will do everything it is, that’s within her power, to avoid distressing Youngsun.

“Sorry, I’ll get you one tomorrow.” The younger professor promised. “But… you’re not trying to prank me or anything like that, are you? Like, you’re really telling the truth?”

“Babe, why would I prank you?” Yongsun asked, feigning offense. “Why, is there something on the flower that made you believe it’s from me?” she took the bouquet and noticed the card. She opened it and read the message quietly. Professor Kim. “Maybe it’s from your colleague or other Professor Kim in this university. I mean, there are hundreds of Professor Kim here.” She shrugged.

“You’re right.” The younger professor nodded and took the flowers from her wife. “This didn’t really come from you?”

“Positive” Wearing her serious face, Professor Kim confirmed. Without hesitation, Wheein dumped the flowers in the trash bin and went back hugging Professor Kim on the couch in her office. “And you know, I’ll never get you red roses. I always bought you Magnolia.”

“That’s why I thought it was weird.” Wheein chew her own lip. “Besides, the handwriting is way different from yours. And your signature heart is missing.” she teased.

“I knew you secretly like it” The older woman laughed. “But, Professor Jung, you got yourself an admirer.” She wife back.

Groaning, the younger woman buries her face at the crook of her wife’s neck. “Stop talking non-sense babe.”

They stayed silent in that position for a minute, with Yongsun tracing the slightly visible veins from Wheein’s hand. “If anything, I agree with what was written on the card.” She broke the silence. “You really look beautiful in your glasses.”

The PolSci professor pulled from the hug, about to whine, when she met her wife’s eye, twinkling with genuine adoration and love. “I—thank you” she blushed.

Yongsun cupped her face before tucking some strands of the loose hair at the back of Wheein’s ear. “This reminds me of when we were in Canada. The sweatshirt you wore, the glasses. It reminds me of Wheein MBA era.” She glanced down on the sweatshirt and verified, “This was what you were wearing in the bar, right? The night we met?” The young professor nods. “Will you let me steal this from you when I go over to your apartment?”

“I mean, you already stole my heart so…” Wheein cheekily answered.

After their small stolen moments in Professor Jung’s office, Yongsun left when she received a call from Hyejin. But before she left, she told her wife that they can’t have lunch together since she’s afraid her friends will follow her again. They need to be extra careful these days, specially Yongsun.

The aftermath conversation they had after their mall encounter was pretty eventful.  She tried her best to explain to them that they have it all wrong. Yes, she is with someone but she’s not dating an ahjussi that is a plumber. Her friends insisted that there’s no need for her to deny it because they accept her and they still lov

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter