Still Into You (Eunseo)

From A Melodious Hearts

                                                      

If anyone never heard this song by Paramore, where have you been ya'll?

This song is a delightful serenade where you can sing your heart out that you still feel the same way you did towards your significant other even after all these years. Through the ups and downs in your relationship, you still care and love this person wholeheartedly.  

This song is titled 
"Still Into You" from their 4th Self titled Album "Paramore" 
Performed, obviously, by the fantastic band themself, Paramore 

Here's the link in case anyone is wondering how the song sounds like Still Into You

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Flashback****

       Another day at school, the regular classes, and homework to do by the end of the day. However, fate seems to think differently because our homeroom teacher announced a new addition to the class a minute later. And at the mention of the news, the whole class turned alert, curious to see who it might be. I can see some of my friends murmuring amongst themselves about this new stranger. 

       "Miss Son?" our teacher called, hinting at this person's last name and gender, which excites most of the boys, "Please come in."  

       The most beautiful girl I have ever laid my eyes on enters the class, and if it's possible, my jaw would probably be on the floor by now. I thought I was dreaming at first until my best friend nudged me as if his life depended on it. I'm sure the class was in a state of excitement, but my focus was only on her. 

       "Hello, everyone," she bowed and addressed everyone with a smile, "My name is Son Jooyeon, pleased to meet you." 

       For some reason, the second she said her name, our eyes met. As if time paused just for that moment, I find myself smiling the widest I've ever been, and I don't even care who's watching. 

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

       A lingering smile plastered itself on my face as I stared at our class picture as ten graders. She wore that unique and breathtaking smile that I could never take off my mind even if I wanted to. I could probably go blind and still remember that smile as if my eyes were wide open. She stole my heart that day, a girl I barely knew, and I will never forget it. 

       "Those were the days," I sighed after putting the framed picture on top of my drawer. 

       Today marked my first morning in my very own apartment after spending most of my life at my parent's house. I loved my parents to smithereens, but eventually, I had to have a place of my own. However, it wasn't easy since I had to work my off for two years in my current job to afford this place. It's not much, but it's a start to a new life as a grown person. And I should count myself lucky since not just anyone could land my job straight out of college. I had to endure probation for a couple of months before being deemed worthy of my position in marketing as a product manager. Overall, I am pretty proud of myself for what I have accomplished. 

       A smile decorated my satisfied expression when I stood in front of the door, looking around the apartment. The apartment complex is only 15 minutes from work and close to one of the best downtown cafes. Before work, I would stop by for espresso to give a little pick-me-up. Plus, I know the cafe owner, so I would get a regular discount than the usual price, discreetly of course. I heaved a happy sigh before stepping out the door to start the day. 

       "Morning!" Greeting the barista as usual with a smile and a wave of a hand. 

       "The usual?" the said barista asked.

       "Absolutely," giving a thumbs-up as a response before taking a seat by the window, overlooking the nearly busy street.

       "Be right up," The barista replied.

       I leaned back against the chair with a hum as I looked out the window. The sun is exceptionally bright and friendly today. The cafe's playlist seems to agree since it complimented the weather outside perfectly. Yet, something else added to this blend of morning relaxation when I caught a whiff of a green tea scent in a coffee shop. I frowned, but something in my mind told me this wasn't just another scent. I looked behind me just in time when a woman stood, her back towards me, and once again, I caught that scent. I couldn't get a glimpse of her face as she walked toward the cashier to pick up her order, and just like that, she left almost immediately. I've ordered green tea before and tried using a scented green tea candle, but this green tea smell jogged a different memory for some reason.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*****Flashback*****

       Today marks the last day of our final exam as 11 graders. I came out earlier than usual since the subject tested was my favorite. The best way to spend it was lying on the grass under the tree in the school's backyard. The breeze was so soothing that I didn't want to move an inch until I felt another presence lying next to me. Instantly I caught a whiff of sweet green tea scent, which made me smile just as fast. 

       "You're our early," I teased with my eyes closed at the familiar stranger. 

       "Tsk, you're just lucky," I chuckled at her bratty response before turning to face her and opening my eyes to the most beautiful girl, my girlfriend. 

       "Yeah, I'm lucky," I replied as I reached out to caress her cheek, smiling like an idiot.

       "You're also lucky you're cute," she giggled and kissed my hand, "Or I would be cringing so bad right now."

       We have been dating since the second semester of our 10th grade. It took me weeks to work up the courage to approach her and confess my feelings. My feet were jelly when she said yes, that she'd date me. And things have been nothing but fantastic since then. I loved going to school more than I should because of her, and there were no regrets. 

       "You know?" I her hair as I took a quick whiff of it, "I like this scent, it suits you."

       "Oh really?" she raised an eyebrow towards me, "How so?"

       "Hmm... well, looking at you is just comforting and sweet," I scooted closer to her and grinned, "Just like green tea."

       "Gosh, stoppp," she giggled as she nudged my shoulder away from her, and we shared that moment with laughter. 

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

       "Jooyeon," The only thing I could utter as I stood from my chair to give chase, but for some wild reason, two men arrived at the precise moment I moved. 

       After hustling my way towards the door, "Jooyeon!" I said but found no one.

       "Uh... Mister Kwon," I sighed and turned to see the barista with my espresso in hand, "Is everything okay?"

       "Y..yeah... I thought I saw someone I know," I replied with a defeated expression as I took the cup from the barista and handed him the regular payment, "Thank you."

       "No problem sir, have a nice day," The bartender wished as I turned and walked towards my building. 

       "You, too!" I wished back without turning and lifting my cup for him to see. 

       Maybe I was too down the docks that I almost ran into a pole while on the way. I never imagined I would run into her again, or maybe that's just what it is, an imagination. If I could have it my way, I would probably be with her now, but that would be too selfish of me to demand that much from her. I love her with every fiber of my being, and the best for her is my only interest. And the last time I saw her was when we had to say our goodbyes. I tried to force myself to move on from her by going out with other ladies, but they all had one thing in common, they weren't Jooyeon. 

       I arrived at my cubicle, right next to my buddy from high school, "Yo, why the long face, bro?" he asked almost immediately.

       "I thought I saw her, man," I heaved a sigh as I placed my things on the table.

       "Who?" He pushed his chair away from his cubicle to better look at me. 

       "Jooyeon," His eyes went wide the second I uttered her name.

       "Heol..." He said while shaking his head, "Dude, you gotta get over her, man, it's been what? 4 years?"

       "6 years," I corrected him.

       "My point exactly, dude," He scoots closer with his chair and places his hand on my shoulder, "You need to move on, or you'll never be able to find yourself a wife cause for all we know, she might be married already, engaged or well on her way to that stage. Hate to break it to you bro." 

        He's got an excellent point, and I need to move on, "Yeah, I guess you're right."

        "Ayyy... there you go," He slapped my shoulder and smiled, "You got this, man! Now, let's get to work, and later imma treat you to that new restaurant."

        "You're paying for real, right?" I frowned at him, "Cause last time, your got knocked out drunk, and I had to pay everything and carry you to my car." 

        "I promise, I won't even drink this time," He raised one hand in an oath-like gesture.

        "I'll hold you to that," I threw a rolled-up paper before laughing softly and beginning my work for the day. 

        I unloaded my things on the table when something fell out. It was a blue plastic ring. There were two of these, but I gave the other to Jooyeon after taking her on a date to a fun fair in town years ago. And a wave of feelings overcame me; joy and pain rolled into one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Flashback****

       "Jooyeon-ah," I held her hand as we both cried at the school's rooftop right after our graduation ceremony, "You have to take this offer. This is your dream ever since you were 12."

        "But that means I have to leave you," She looked at me with her eyes b with tears.

        "I know..." I was trying to stay strong for the both of us, but I was doing a terrible job at it, "But you can't give up your dream for me, this is too big."

        "Please... I can't..." I interrupted and hugged her tight as she wrapped her arms around me.

        I have no idea how long we stayed that way, but our tears had dried up when I cupped her cheeks to get a good look at her. I looked her right in the eyes just as she looked at me while I caressed my thumb to wipe away her wet cheeks. Even after crying, she still has that beautiful glow. I could stay here and look into her eyes forever, but reality will still be an and slap me in the face. 

        "Let's make a promise," I begin.

        "What promise?" she grabbed both my hands on her cheeks and squeezed them, making it even harder to let her go. 

        "If we ever see each other again, one day in the future, let's never let go again," I kept my gaze, still on the verge of crying again. 

     She took a second to close her eyes before reopening them and nodded, "Keep this ring on you as your promise." She took my hand with the ring on and squeezed it again, "And I will keep mine, promise?"

        "I promise," We both touched our foreheads together, "I love you, Son Joo-yeon."

        "I love you too, Kwon Haein," She whispered back before slowly pressing her lips towards mine. 

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

      We were both very young when we both made that promise. All these years, I have held on to that promise, hoping I would one day run into her again. That promise kept me going until now, but I guess I need to grow up and accept the fact that it won't happen. And yet, something within me wouldn't let up, as if telling me that someday I would meet her again. 

        "If only," I muttered as I placed the ring into my chest pocket. I will keep this ring, holding on to that hope, probably lying to my best friend. 

        "Can I have your attention?" Our branch manager called out to everyone present.

        Everyone stopped whatever they were doing while my clumsy just dropped my pen on the floor. When everyone stood, I was still looking for my pen. "From today onwards, we have a new addition to the team." 

         Out of nowhere, my best friend slapped my back repeatedly, "Dude... dude... dude..!"

        I sat up and looked at him, groaning in pain, "What the heck man?" His face was shocked, as if he had seen a ghost as he looked to where the branch manager was standing. 

        "Hello everyone," a woman's voice is heard as I rubbed my back, trying to soothe the pain my best friend bestowed on my back, "I'm Son Jooyeon, pleased to meet you."

        My body froze an instant the second she said her name. Everything in my mind went into overdrive as her name rang in my head. I stood up immediately, shocking everyone around me as my chair flew away from my cubicle. I looked to the source of the voice, and there she stood. As beautiful as ever, maybe even more. The girl I fell in love with in high school is now an elegant woman, standing in front of everyone with confidence and class. And once again, like years before, our eyes met. 

         "Hi," that must have been the loudest greeting I have ever made in my life, but I don't care.

         "Hi," she said in return with the same beautiful smile. 

         I am still head over heels for her, and there's no denying it. I'm smiling like it's the first time I've seen her, and I still don't care what others might think. I'm in love, even more so than years before. I'm still into her.