Until Tonight, I love you

Until Tonight

A/N: Hi, all. This is something I’ve wanted to write for the longest time. I hope it turns out fine. This will have to be a two part story because I didn’t want to rush everything into a oneshot. Please enjoy if you can and thank you 


 






 

From the time she was a young girl. Bae Joohyun loved books. Being a shy and introverted child led her to find her comfort in different stories and their fascinating characters. She’d get lost in wholesome stories about a family overcoming hardships while maintaining strong bonds. Joohyun would find herself hopelessly rooting for two-star crossed lovers who had all the chemistry in the world, but were ultimately doomed no matter how much they loved one another. She’d even find herself so immersed in an author’s world she would dream or imagine she was one of the characters too. Fighting alongside dashing space pirates or casting spells to save a princess.


 

That’s why it came as no surprise to anyone in Joohyun’s life when she opened a bookstore. She had taken something she had always loved and made into a successful business. That’s why after college, working jobs she didn’t necessarily love, and help from her parents. Bae’s Books eventually did become more than just a small design in one of her spare sketchbooks, and it’s own real life store. Where people came to buy books to which Joohyun hoped they’d get lost in their own adventures too. Just like Joohyun still found her adventures in books.


 

And comfort too. Because books always seemed to be there for her. 

 

“Hi, and welcome to…” She smiles upon greeting and stops when she notices it’s just one of her closest friends from university. “Seungwan, hi.” She waves to the blonde-haired woman. Dressed nicely in a blue blouse and grey pinstripe slacks. Judging by the time Seungwan is probably on a lunch break and deciding to take the time to visit her.

 

“Oh, no proper welcome to Bae’s books from the store owner, I’m offended.” Her friend says in a clear teasing tone. Joohyun playfully rolls her eyes and comes out from the counter. It’s been some time since she saw Seungwan. Once her friend went into the corporate world and made a bit of a name for herself in business. And Joohyun focused her attention into her bookstore time and seemed to get away from them.

 

“It’s good to see you, Wan. You look good.” She hugs her once she’s able.

 

“So do you, Ms. Bae.” She nods. “Stunning as always.” Seungwan compliments her friend. Even though their college days are long behind them. Seungwan still remembers her first thoughts of seeing this girl who easily looked like some kind of model or actress. With many admirers who always seemed to be wanting the chance to talk to her, though Joohyun seemed more interested in books if Seungwan were honest.

 

“I should introduce you to one of my rich successful friends. No men, I promise.”

 

Joohyun laughs and shakes her head. “You know I have no time for being introduced to anyone, not when I’m running a business.”

 

“You said that last time. And that was what three months ago? Come on, Hyun. I don’t want you to be alone for my wedding.” She hadn’t come here just to see Joohyun only. Though she does enjoy seeing her friend. Seungwan can’t help if she wants to try and introduce her to someone, if for no reason but to have a date. 

 

That’s right, Seungwan is getting married. She does remember that much. 

 

“So you’ve finally chosen between the two people you were dating? What were their names….”

 

Seungwan looks suddenly scandalized as she coughs. “W-What, there weren't any two people. I don’t know what you’re talking about. I think you’re inhaling these books now, Joohyun.”

 

At that Joohyun laughs and apologizes. “I’ll come to your wedding, Seungwan. But I won’t be bringing anyone.”

 

“Oh, but why not.” Her friend looks saddened. “It’s not any fun to go to these things alone.”

 

“I’ll be okay, don’t worry.” Seungwan knew enough to not bother Joohyun too much, especially when she had that certain tone in her voice. She never pried but sometimes Joohyun would look off into the distance or change the subject whenever Seungwan tried to bring up the very idea of introducing her to someone special. Which led Seungwan to believe that there already must be someone, and perhaps it ended badly? Or maybe she just doesn’t know her friend as well as she thought she did. Either way, Seungwan doesn't want to pry. She knows Joohyun will tell her the story when she’s ready.

 

“Okay, Joohyun. I should go because I only have about twenty-minutes left for my lunch break. But when you’re next free we should meet properly, I’ll treat you to lunch or maybe dinner?”

 

“Sure, that sounds lovely, Seungwan. I look forward to it already.”

 

The two friends bid farewell for now and Joohyun heads back to the counter. She expects an afternoon rush of her own, usually people on work breaks of their own, or sometimes college-aged students coming in to buy books. Joohyun likes being busy in that sense when there’s a crowd of people coming in to buy books. Even when it’s obvious some of them are here just to gawk at her, that she can do without.

 

“Are you single, by chance?” One man out of the crowd happens to ask when it’s his turn. At least, he has good tastes in books, Joohyun thinks to herself as she checks out the mystery novels for him.

 

“I am not.” She smiles politely. “Sorry to disappoint.”

 

“Aww, that for me.”

 

“At least you’ll have some good books to cuddle up with.” Joohyun hopes that doesn’t sound too rude. She doesn’t really enjoy being rude if she can help it, but some people do deserve it. Thankfully, the man doesn’t seem too bothered and leaves with his books. The rest of the customer exchanges go much smoother, no one’s flirting. Everyone’s friendly and polite. Joohyun figures she can probably take a lunch break of her own, which she is looking forward to her homemade lunch she brought that’s waiting for her in the back office.

 

Only it might have to wait just a little longer as there’s someone standing just outside of her store waiting for their moment to enter. 

 

A brown-haired woman who arrived maybe ten minutes ago, but has been waiting for a good chance to walk into Joohyun’s store. Mostly waiting for the larger crowds to disperse so that she could have a chance to be alone with the bookstore owner. Large crowds were never her thing and she groaned each time another person walked into the store.

 

“Seriously?” The brunette sighed and wrung up her hands in frustration. Well, standing around here wasn’t going to get her any closer to Joohyun that’s for sure, and so she took her chance hoping that the last person who just left, was in fact the last person. 

 

Joohyun was stepping out from the counter and was about to put the ‘be back in 30 minutes’ sign on the door. Only to stop when the store’s phone rang and she went to answer that.

 

“Bae’s Books. How can I help you?”

 

She could also hear the chime of her front door meaning someone else had just walked in. Meaning her lunch break would probably have to wait a while longer.


 

When Kang Seulgi walked into Bae Joohyun’s bookstore. Her first and only thought was finding the woman herself, but she didn’t see her. She did, however, hear her voice and it sounded like she was on the phone. That meant that once Joohyun was off the phone she would come out here again. Seulgi swore her heart started beating faster, but she knew she was nervous.

 

“Calm down, Kang.” She whispered to herself. 

 

At least there didn’t seem to be any more customers coming. Seulgi didn’t want there to be any interruptions. Especially not from strangers and random bystanders.

 

“Yes, Friday at 3 pm will be a good time for a delivery. Thank you, I’ll see you then.” Seulgi can hear Joohyun ending the call. That means she’s only a matter of moments away from coming out here. Seulgi has to tell herself once again to calm down, though she feels incredibly nervous. 

 

“Hi, welcome to….” Joohyun tries to speak and her voice stops in . She could not say her usual greeting because of the woman standing in her store. The beautiful monolid woman standing in her store that her heart skipped a beat upon seeing. 

 

“Seulgi….”  Oh, how she wished she could say her name.

 

“Joohyun.” Seulgi smiles, unable to speak her name as well, like her voice box was being controlled by someone else. But she took in the appearance of the gorgeous raven, her big brown eyes, and full pink lips. She always looks so effortlessly beautiful.

 

Joohyun starts walking toward the taller woman who walks to her too. As soon as they are even within reach of one another they embrace. Tears slowly slide down Joohyun’s eyes because it never gets any easier. Being able to physically touch the woman she loves in the real world but can’t speak any words to her. One would think it would get easier after all this time, but it never does. Seulgi tries to be comforting and rubs her back. 

 

Only how can she comfort Joohyun when it kills her just the same not to talk to her either. Seulgi supposes that she must be grateful that they can at least have these moments too. When they both break away from their embrace, Seulgi carefully takes her hand and wipes away at the stray tears that fall down Joohyun’s face. As Seulgi pulls away Joohyun grabs a hold of her hand and they stay that way for a long while. Joohyun’s slightly smaller hand in Seulgi’s larger one.

 

Because physical touch is all they have in the real world. They’ve gotten quite good at communicating this way, and reading body language. Joohyun lets go of Seulgi’s hand for the moment. She turns to the front door and places the ‘be back in 30 minutes’ sign, locks the door, and goes back over to the monolid woman. She hugs her tightly again, not wanting to waste any time. 

 

It hasn’t even been that long since Seulgi last came into the store either. Everything just seems more difficult when you are in a situation as unique as theirs. When everything is normal enough, outside of the fact you can’t actually talk to the woman you love in the real world. The only time they can talk is at night when they are both asleep. Talk about unique relationship issues.

 

Free from the hug Joohyun grabs Seulgi’s hands. She leads her back to the office and hopes Seulgi has time to sit down to a meal with her. There should be at least some normal couple moments, as they do the best they can. Joohyun turns around when she sees that Seulgi isn’t coming along. There’s an apologetic look on the monolid woman’s face.

 

Seulgi clearly can’t stay long. She apologizes with a kiss onto Joohyun’s forehead and hands her a small note out of her bag. Her eyes also seem to be screaming how sorry she is for not being able to stay longer this time. 

 

Joohyun might be disappointed but she is not angry. She is never angry at Seulgi as this situation is no more her love’s fault than it is hers. That’s why she takes the note from Seulgi’s hand and leans up to kiss her cheek. 

 

Seulgi opens as if words would come out, only they don’t. They never do. She sighs sadly and gently touches the side of Joohyun’s face again. A goodbye of sorts for now until they can meet again.

 

“Bye…” Joohyun thinks sadly and watches as Seulgi leaves. That never gets easier even though Joohyun will always rather see the woman she loves than not see her at all. She doesn’t think she’ll be able to eat her lunch after all.



 

 


 


 

Seulgi walks as fast as she can away from Joohyun’s bookstore and doesn’t look back. Mostly because she knows that if she does nothing will stop her from running back in there, and back into Joohyun’s arms. Finding Joohyun like she had felt like a blessing, a blessing that also revealed it had a curse to it. Joohyun herself was this incredible blessing. Because up until then, Seulgi had lived her life with no interest in anyone, or at least no one had sparked any real interest for her. She had a particularly mundane existence. School, work, school, work, repeat over and over. Finding her enjoyment in small things she enjoyed whether it be art exhibits or going to small poetry jams, where people would get up and pour their hearts out, with both good and bad poetry.

 

Everything changed when she met Bae Joohyun. She knew this woman was the one, and she was never the person who believed in love at first sight, not at all. And yet it all made sense to her. Only, her blessing came with a curse when she found that no matter how she tried that night she could not speak to the woman. 

 

“Hi, my name’s Kang Seulgi, and you are…” 

 

She must have said that several times that night only to see Joohyun moving her lips as well with no sound. Disappointing yes, but they couldn’t stay away from one another. Maybe it would have been easier if they had. But they couldn’t. They found ways to work around their unique problem whether it be writing notes or learning to read body language very well.

 

Seulgi supposed it wasn’t all bad. She could talk to Joohyun, just not when she was awake. They could only seem to talk to one another at night, when they were dreaming. The only catch was it didn’t happen every night, or every dream either. Seulgi could only hope that night would be kind to them.


 

When Joohyun opened the small note on its familiar yellow stationary with stars aligning the header. The raven could only smile at first. She remembers in the earlier days when they knew for certain that they could not communicate with one another like a regular couple could. It was Seulgi’s idea to write these little notes back and forth, and she would occasionally switch out the stationary paper. Joohyun soon joined in with a signature paper of her own, whether it be purple or some more festive depending if there was a holiday. It was a neat and fun way to keep in contact, because they didn’t have many options.

 

“Dear, Hyunnie.

     I apologize in advance, but I am going to come into your bookstore today. I just can’t help myself and I miss you too much. It’s been at least a week since we last spoke, and because we don’t have the luxury of talking to one another like any regular couple does. I can only hope and pray I’ll sleep tonight and dream of you. Please don’t work too hard today, and don’t forget to eat your lunch. I know sometimes you do.


 

Until tonight

 

I love you

 

Seulgi.


 

By the time Joohyun finished reading the letter. She neatly folded it back up and placed it in her purse for safe keeping. This would go home in her storage box where she kept all of her letters from Seulgi from the time they met up until now. Joohyun could also only hope for the same thing.

 

“Until tonight, Seulgi.”



 

 


 


 

Seulgi had only one plan for her evening and that was to go home and go to bed. When she told her best friends Kim Yerim and Park Sooyoung that was her plan. The two could only laugh at her like she was kidding.

 

“Are you joking?” Sooyoung was the first to say. “We have to go out, Seul. We have to have Yerimie’s bachelorette party. You know she only has so many single days until she gets married.”

 

That’s right, Yerim is supposed to be getting married. Interestingly enough Seulgi doesn’t think she has heard much about this alleged fiancè of hers. All Seulgi can really remember is Yerim announcing to them one day she was getting married, and that was it.

 

“How can you be getting married and we haven’t even met the woman?” Seulgi wonders seriously. Again, Yerim and Sooyoung look at her like she must be kidding, or worse like there’s something wrong with her.

 

“You could have met her.” Yerim nods, and adjusts her scarf before they all leave the office building. 

 

“I already met her.” Sooyoung smiles smugly. “Lovely woman, really rich too. What was your lame excuse, Seul when Yerimie invited you out to meet her for dinner that time. Something about going to bed early…”

 

Seulgi can’t fault her friends for not understanding. It’s not like she could even begin to explain her situation with Joohyun to them because they would certainly not understand. How does one even begin to explain how they have in fact met the love of their lives, only they can’t speak to one another in the real world? Seulgi can’t even properly introduce Joohyun to Sooyoung or Yerim. She wonders if they ever will have those normal things too, like introduction to their friends, or just being able to go out in public to have a regular date.

 

 Seulgi wonders….

 

“Seul?” She feels a tap on the shoulder, and concerned big brown eyes looking up at her. Yerim looks at her like she’s worried about her, and there’s no longer any joking or laughing from either woman. “What’s wrong? You know you can talk to us, seriously.”

 

“Yeah, you do seem troubled.” Sooyoung notices. “If you’re worried about being alone for Yerimie’s wedding, don’t be. There will be tons of single ladies there, right Yerimie.” The taller woman nudges her. 

 

“Oh oh sure.” Yerim agrees. “Soo and I can introduce you to someone. At least you won’t go home alone.”

 

Now Seulgi smiles uneasily. She understands what’s being implied and of course Seulgi wouldn’t allow anything like that to happen. Once before she and Joohyun decided to make their relationship official, and see no other people. Seulgi tested her unusual circumstance by seeing if it was only Joohyun she could not talk to. By trying to and successfully having a full conversation with a random woman at a bar one evening. It went nowhere because she didn’t feel the same sparks and interest she had with Joohyun. It told Seulgi one thing and one thing only. Joohyun was her person. Nothing would change that no matter who she met.

 

“No, thank you.”

 

“Wait a minute, you don’t want us to introduce you to someone.” Sooyoung looks suddenly suspicious with a perfectly manicured brow. 

 

“No.” Seulgi hopes to leave it at that. She knows her friends and they will certainly not leave it alone. That’s why she picks up her work bag and turns quickly for the elevator as fast as she can, but that does nothing. Since Yerim and Sooyoung are heading out for the evening too. 

 

“And where do you think you’re going, young lady.” Sooyoung is the first to pull her back, which is funny. Sooyoung called her young lady when last Seulgi checked she was in fact older than both of them. 

 

“Are you dating someone?” Yerim questions. “Is that why you don’t want us to hook you up?”

 

And what could she say? Lie and say she wasn’t? Seulgi was never a good liar and she also didn’t want to pretend like she wasn’t hopelessly in love with Joohyun, because she was.

 

“Yes. I have someone very special. But…”

 

Two loud and shocked gasps as both Sooyoung and Yerim can’t believe their ears. It’s not like Seulgi to keep such information from them. They have so many questions, like who is this oh so special person. Where did she meet them, how long has Seulgi been seeing them, and more importantly when the hell can they meet since the two of them are Seulgi’s best friends.

 

The questions fly out of her friends' mouths fast. Faster than Seulgi can even process and it all sounds like two blended voices, to the point where she doesn’t know which are Sooyoung's questions, and which are Yerim’s. 

 

“She’s special, that’s all I’m going to say for now.”

 

“So no chance of meeting this special one?”

 

“You should bring her to my wedding as your plus one, Seul. Soo and I would love to meet her if she means so much to you.”

 

“I….” Seulgi would love to have Joohyun meet her friends. “I think I should meet your fiancé first, Yerim. You’re getting married soon, after all.”

 

Sensing this is a sensitive subject, or one Seulgi is just not willing to talk about right now. The two women smile kindly and nod.

 

“Sure, I’ll ask Seungwan when she’s free and you can meet her. We’ll have dinner again.” Yerim offers.

 

“Yes, so don’t make some lame excuse about going to bed early or you won’t meet Yerimie’s lovely rich fiancè.”

 

“Alright, with the rich fiancè already, Soo!”

 

And as she two of them playfully bicker back and forth. Seulgi can only think about getting out of here and going to bed tonight.

 

She had someone waiting for her, at least she hoped Joohyun would be there tonight.



 

 


 


 

There was nothing like coming home after a satisfying work day of doing what you love. All in all Joohyun had a good day, made better by Seulgi’s surprise visit. Sure, it’s exactly easy being so close to the woman she loves and not being able to speak even the simplest of words to her. Joohyun would still gladly have her for whatever time she can get. The minute she made it home she knew what her plans were, eat dinner, take a shower, and get ready for bed. She hoped tonight would be kind to them and allow them the chance to dream of one another.

 

Joohyun moved from her living room to her kitchen. A text came up on her phone before she could even start on trying to make dinner, and it was from Seungwan.

 

SonSeungwan: Hi, Joohyun. This is just a text to see if you’d be free for dinner soon, my fiancé wants to have a redo of a meeting between myself and one of her best friends. You could come too and maybe there could be something there? Don’t worry she’s allegedly a hot woman. Let me know when you get a chance.

 

Joohyun isn’t sure if she should laugh or not. Seungwan isn’t going to let this go by any means and that’s when Joohyun decides she probably needs to do something she should have already done. That’s why she calls Seungwan as she’s in the middle of making dinner.

 

“What do you mean you can’t make it to dinner?” Seungwan sounds a bit disappointed. “It’ll be my treat so at least don’t say no to the free food?”

 

Joohyun smiles on the other end of the phone. “Well, you know me, I won't say no to free food. I just kind of can’t be set up on a blind date with your fiance’s friend. I am not single.”

 

There’s a loud gasp on the other end of the line and it sounds like Seungwan has probably dropped her phone, or fallen on the floor. Joohyun hopes she’s alright. She didn’t mean to startle her friend that badly.

 

“What do you mean you’re not single! When the heck were you planning to tell me that? Alright, Ms. Bae I want a name, age, job info. All the details you can provide so I can provide the necessary background checks. I can’t just have you dating any person.”

 

Now Joohyun laughs as the questions start coming fast, each sounding more ridiculous. 

 

“I’m not answering any of these questions. And no she’s not in the mob, why would you ask a thing like that?”

 

“You never know.” Seungwan sounds serious. “Well, there must be a reason you’re being so secretive. I actually kinda figured you probably had someone or there was some fascinating story.”

 

“Oh, you have no idea, Wan.” Truly, Seungwan had no idea the truth of it all. Joohyun honestly didn’t think she’d be able to say, least of all be believed. Thankfully, Seungwan is kind of still talking and that gives Joohyun a chance to think carefully of what she wants to say next.

 

“How serious is it? You can at least meet Yerim’s good looking friend. No one said you had to marry her or anything.”

 

“Yerim’s good looking friend, huh? Was she the one you were undecided about before you decided to go and get married?”

 

“WHAT!” her friend screams and again sounds like she has dropped the phone, or fallen onto the floor one or the other. “Oh, J-Joohyun you are a funny one. I think you really need to stop reading those books or it’ll rot your brain. I haven’t even met the woman. I think her name’s….” Seungwan pauses. “Sorry, Joohyun, that's my wife-to-be calling me. Why don’t you think about it, okay? It can be a friendly dinner, since you say you have a girlfriend. I wouldn’t really suggest you cheat on her or anything. But I do want to know more.”

 

“Alright, Seungwan. I’ll think about it and get back to you, now don’t let me keep you. You have a wife to talk to and I have a lovely and beautiful dinner that’s waiting for me.”

 

At that it was Seungwan’s turn to laugh before both women ended the call. Joohyun had never been keeping her relationship with Seulgi a secret from her friend. If it were up to them both, they would certainly tell the people in their lives that they were happy and completely in love. But because of the circumstances it just didn’t seem to be in their best interest, as there would be questions that they could never explain and would not be believed. Also, there was the obvious fact that even if she were to bring Seulgi to meet Seungwan she would not be able to talk to her, and so there was no point. So for now Joohyun could say some of the truth she wasn’t single and certainly not looking.

 

“Food’s ready.” The smell of grilled meat, aromatic sides, and fried rice made Joohyun’s stomach growl. Having skipped out on lunch the bookstore owner knew there was only a matter of time before she practically devoured an entire plate. She made herself a plate and just before sitting down to eat. Joohyun took a picture of her meal and sent the text to Seulgi. Often there are times they will do things like this, sending photos, texts, any form of nonverbal communication that is possible they have probably done.

 

“Seul.” She writes. “I hope you’ve had a delicious dinner or have at least eaten. I know how your office hours can be and there are times you’re still in the office working. So promise me you will eat well, I’ll ask you properly tonight.” Joohyun doesn’t wish to think negatively. Tonight will work out and they will dream of one another where they will get the chance to speak.

 

“Anyways, I love you and I’ll see you soon. In our usual dream.” She ends with a smiley face emoji and a series of hearts to follow.

 

Joohyun could only hope tonight they’d be able to meet. She had so many things she wanted to say, starting with a simple, how was your day, baby?


 

 


 



 

Seulgi’s plans were simple: go home, eat dinner, shower, and be in bed by nine. All simple plans that should have been achieved with little to no difficulty. But it seemed like any and everyone wanted to interrupt said plans. She did manage to make it home in one piece, but not without several texts from Yerim and Sooyoung again, mostly Yerim mentioning dinner to meet her fiance and fiance’s alleged beautiful friend. Seulgi could have sworn she mentioned she is already dating someone? Did that message get lost in translation? Luckily she managed to order takeout for herself in between the series of calls.

 

Between her mother calling and college friends randomly deciding tonight would be a good night to get together. Seulgi almost wanted to shut her phone off. The last thing she wanted to do was explain to everyone that she planned to go to bed early, and have more questions follow.

 

“Why would you need to go to bed early?

 

“Who are you going to bed early with?”

 

“A young woman like you, what are you sleeping this early for?”

 

Seulgi can already hear the questions in her head, so rather than set herself up for any sort of extended time talking to anyone. She simply told them she had a long day at work and would talk to them tomorrow. That seemed to help and no one called anymore, giving Seulgi a chance to eat her food, get showered and prepare for bed. Most people would probably think her odd for wanting to get to sleep more than anything. But Seulgi had a good reason.

 

She wouldn’t miss her chance to be with Joohyun, even if it were in the dream world. And after the work day she had Seulgi knew she’d probably fall asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow. 

 

She’d be with Joohyun soon.

 

Sleep didn’t come as quickly as Seulgi would have liked. She tossed and turned for a short while until finally settling into her usual sleeping position of laying flat on her back, in a starfish position with mouth slightly ajar, and finally it was lights out.

 

For the first hour of her sleep there were no dreams. Nothing until the monolid woman found herself in a familiar forest setting. For the most part they always meet in the same dream space. It’s usually this forest, and together they’ve explored practically every place in this seemingly endless mass of trees.

 

“The lake.” Seulgi knows Joohyun will be at the lake. They always meet at the lake when it’s the forest setting. In a hurry to get to the woman she loves, Seulgi takes off for the lake. There’s no time to enjoy the pretty blue sky, fresh breeze, or the woodland creatures running in the background. She must get to Joohyun.

 

Hopefully she’s here as there have been times Seulgi has gone to sleep and dreamed entire dreams without seeing Joohyun once. She hopes that won’t be the case tonight as she can hear the sound of running water. Just a little bit further and Joohyun should be there.

 

“Hyun!” She called out, relieved when she could actually hear her own voice. “Joohyun?”

 

Seulgi reached the lake only to find nothing but a few swans swimming across and no sign of a beautiful raven haired woman. 

 

“Oh….” Seulgi whispered, that was more than disappointing. She hoped Joohyun would be here. This was their dream setting after all, and the night wouldn’t be cruel to them this time? The dream world was their only chance out of the day to talk to one another. Seulgi had so much she wanted to say to Joohyun before waking up, and so much she wished to hear in return.

 

“I guess I can feed the swans.”

 

She could pass the time that way and hope that Joohyun will show up at some point before she wakes up. But before she could turn to where the bird food is kept there is a soft pair of hands covering her eyes, and best of all a voice near her ear.

 

“Good evening, Ms. Kang. Do you come here often?” A soft husky voice that is almost enough to make Seulgi start crying can be heard as Joohyun carefully removes her hands.

 

Seulgi turns around and smiles as she takes a hold of those same hands. “It’s a good evening now, and I do come here often. It’s so good to see you, Joohyun.” She leans down to kiss her lips. A soft and quick kiss in greeting, but one that is very much welcome.

 

“It’s been a long week, and it’s always good to see you too, Seul.” Joohyun admits. “But at least we can talk now.” She grabs one of Seulgi’s hands and they begin their usual walk. 

 

There is never any telling how long each dream will last, that’s why they plan to make the most of their time. It can be hard when time isn’t on your side and there’s many things you wish to say.

“How was your day?” Joohyun asked and gave Seulgi’s hand a squeeze. “You weren’t too overworked at the office today?”

 

“No, not today. It was surprisingly slow. But the highlight of my day was stopping by your store.”

 

“Mine too, it was a nice surprise, one I really needed. My friend came by too, you know the one I mentioned to you. She’s getting married soon…” And as Joohyun tells her story Seulgi can’t help but notice quite the similarities. Seulgi laughs after the story is over and they sit down in a field of lilies.

 

“So she’s trying to set you up?”

 

“I told her not to, because I have a girlfriend.”

 

“You know what, Hyun. My friend is also getting married and your story reminds me very much of my friends today.” Seulgi proceeds to tell Joohyun exactly what happened to her with Yerim and Sooyoung. Joohyun can only look wide eyed at the entire story, laugh, and shake her head when Seulgi is finished.

 

“This seems too unlikely to be a coincidence. But…” She smiles and holds onto Seulgi’s hand. “Is your friend named Yerim?”

 

“Yes she is, and your friend must be Seungwan, right?”

 

Joohyun nods and laughs. “They could be another Yerim and Seungwan about to be getting married, but somehow I doubt it. Our friends are trying to set us up and they have no idea. I don’t know how I feel about that. But you’re supposed to be good-looking so it’s okay.”

 

Seulgi chuckles and kisses Joohyun’s knuckles. “I think you’re supposed to be beautiful, that’s what I was told.”

 

Joohyun laughs out loud in the way she does when she really enjoys something and Seulgi just takes that moment to admire her. She loves to see moments like this, Joohyun when she’s truly happy. 

 

“They mean well. It’s hardly their fault we don’t tell them much about our personal lives. I’d tell them about you, Seul if I could. I have this amazing person in my life and it’s not like I wouldn’t openly admit it otherwise.”

 

Sensing the mood shift Seulgi goes to wrap both arms around her girlfriend, holding her close.

 

“I want to tell them more. Because I have no reason to hide you, Joohyun. I know you’re my person.”

 

Joohyun knew Seulgi was her person too. Having never felt a connection like this before with anyone else. She also knew without a doubt Seulgi was the one because of a story her grandmother told her. A story that Joohyun could have taken as a beloved grandmother going senile in her old age, but no. Joohyun was a person who had found comfort and loved all sorts of stories from a young age, so she believed in many things. Even when her grandmother told her of a curse placed upon her because of an old rival. A curse specifically for her future grandchildren that if they should fall in love, they would know it was true love by only being able to speak in the dream world. Joohyun had no choice but to believe in this curse when she could talk to anyone but Seulgi. Because she had loved no one else in all these years until meeting the woman.

 

“I told you why this happened to us, and you believe me, right? You don’t think I’m just being crazy or that I’ve had my head stuck in a book too long?”

 

Seulgi did hear Joohyun’s story, about her grandmother mentioning being cursed by a rival in the past but the curse being placed on her descendants. Seulgi didn’t think it odd or insane because it made sense to her. From the first time she met Joohyun there was an instant sort of connection. Something that could not be explained but she was drawn to the woman in ways she felt with no one else. And just as Joohyun could not talk to her, she could not speak back. They could only talk in dreams, another reason Joohyun’s story made sense.

 

“I don’t think you’re crazy, Joohyun.” She rubs her shoulder. “It’s just unfortunate someone from the past could be so vindictive when you had nothing to do with anything. I want you to know that even if we can’t find a way out of this, it changes nothing about how much you mean to me, or how badly I want to be with you.”

 

It is reassuring to hear Seulgi say she wants to be with her, despite this situation. Joohyun feels grateful that Seulgi hadn’t left sooner. She feels grateful to have experienced love even with the major disadvantage of not being able to talk. They’ve made it work as they can.

 

“I want to be with you too, Seul. I keep hoping I’ll find the right book with an answer for us. As they’ve never let me down before. I know that sounds a little silly.”

 

“It doesn’t. You’re a bookworm, that’s okay.” It’s said with affection and that makes Joohyun smile. 

 

“You’re sweet.” Most people make fun of her over her love of books, but never Seulgi. “We’ll find a way to break this curse. No matter what it takes, but just so you know I want to be with you too, no matter if we end up only seeing each other in our dreams.”

 

That would be a sacrifice they were both willing to make because the alternative of going through life without one another wasn’t going to be an option. Seulgi knew Joohyun was just as committed to their relationship. Still, there is nothing wrong with hearing that reassurance.

 

“I know, Joohyun. I just wanted to….”

 

However, like with any dream they can often be unpredictable. And this was such an occasion as before Seulgi could finish her sentence she woke up in the real world, in her bedroom, alone, without Joohyun beside her. Though she touched the empty spot beside her as if thinking for a moment, or hoping rather this might be a part of a dream too. But knowing deep down this was no dream. Seulgi closed her eyes and sighed.

 

“I just wanted to say I love you.”



 

Joohyun woke up shortly after. She hadn’t gotten to hear Seulgi say she loved her or tell her back, but she knew it was coming. They usually try to say those words in every dream but this time it was missed. That was okay, there would be other dreams and other chances to say.

 

Or so Joohyun thought until Seulgi’s text came in.

 

Dreamgirl: Maybe our dream decided we took too much time. I didn’t get to tell you I love you tonight, but I love you, Bae Joohyun. 

 

She smiled, wishing Seulgi were here right now. She’d be okay even if she could just hold the woman close to her. Joohyun could do the next best thing and that was to text Seulgi back that she loved her too.

 

“I love you too, very much, Kang Seulgi.” 

 

There was something else the bookstore owner knew she needed to do. She needed to get in contact with her mother. Perhaps, she might know something, anything that could help with this curse. Or at least point her in the right direction, anything would be worth a try if it meant being able to be like any other couple.

 

“I guess I’ll be making a trip back home.”

 

Because she owned and operated her store alone. She had to plan in advance her trip, which meant waiting for her store delivery on Friday, so she could shut the store down for the weekend, and planned to be back on Monday for regular business hours. No matter what should happen. 

 

“What do you mean you’re going out of town?” Seungwan asked as she stopped by the store on that same Friday. Having no idea what Joohyun’s plans were. “I feel like I know nothing about you these days.” Her friend sighs in a dramatic sort of way.

 

“You’re still just as dramatic as ever, Seungwan.” 

 

“Well, one of us has to be. So what does that mean for the dinner my fiancé is planning, do you still want to meet her friend? It will be completely friendly.”

 

This would be funny under any other circumstances, and somewhat it is amusing in a sad way. As Joohyun and Seulgi both would love nothing more than to show off their relationship to their friends. Right now, is just not the time to do so.

 

“I should be back before you have your dinner, Seungwan. When I do I promise I’ll be able to talk more about everything, my girlfriend, and why you haven’t met her, alright. I just need some time.”

 

Seungwan can hear how serious Joohyun is and that’s when she does the only thing she can do. She gives her a hug and tells Joohyun she will be here whenever she needs or wants to talk. 

 

“Hey, this sounds important so you know you can talk to me when you are ready. I didn’t mean to come off as pushy or anything, I just worry about you, Joohyun.”

 

She knew that and it’s why she didn’t hold anything against her friend. Joohyun knows Seungwan well enough to know that she always means well. 

 

“I know, and everything will be okay.” Joohyun has no idea if everything really will be okay, but it’s better to remain positive. The last thing she wants is to worry her friend anymore than she already is.

 

“Alright, you let me know if you need anything, even if it’s just someone to talk to. I’ll see you when you get back from your trip.”

 

“Yes you will, and I’ll let you know if I should need anything. Thank you, Seungwan.”

 

Seungwan leaves shortly after and Joohyun continues waiting for her delivery to arrive. Her car is already packed with an overnight bag to last for the weekend, and she will be closing the store early today. She informed Seulgi of what she planned to do because it seemed to be their best option. Oddly, Seulgi didn’t seem to have much to say. She agreed it was the best course of action but Joohyun expected more from her girlfriend. However, the more Joohyun thought about it. She wondered if Seulgi didn’t say much because she just didn’t want to get her hopes up. Especially in the event that this trip might be a waste of time.

 

Joohyun understood she just wanted to hear from Seulgi at least before leaving. There was no telling if she would have any dreams over the weekend. All she could hope for at this point was a text or if she were lucky, a random visit. Seulgi does know she will be leaving early today. Seulgi wouldn’t let her leave without a proper goodbye. 

 

However, as the time passed and Joohyun’s delivery order arrived. The bookstore owner knew that she’d only have but so much time left before closing the store down early. If Seulgi didn’t text or show up soon then Joohyun supposed they’d have to wait until she returned from seeing her mother. A few customers came in just before closing time, and Joohyun still held onto hope. Right up until the point where it was time to close for the day and there had been no text or sign of Seulgi.

 

Joohyun felt disappointed but she told herself to be understanding. Seulgi must have had her reasons and for all the bookstore owner knew  anything could have come up. Seulgi might have had work obligations suddenly. 

 

“I better get going.”

 

It would be no good if she spent her time dwelling on the what ifs. With their situation being what it is, it’s not as if they haven’t gone for a while without contact or seeing one another in some way. For now, Joohyun proceeds to put any negative thoughts away as she closes the store and locks up for the upcoming weekend. At least she is also looking forward to seeing her mother, who also is just as happy to see her for the trip, though it’s not all for a random visit. Joohyun told her mother when she called that she had something important to discuss. She just didn’t want to get into it over the phone. After all, this was no conversation to have over the phone. That she had found the person she loved, but thanks to some ancient curse she couldn’t even be with her properly.

 

“What?” Joohyun’s eyes widened in surprise as she saw Seulgi standing across the street from her store with her own overnight bag in her hand. Seulgi looked slightly nervous but smiled in a way that Joohyun knew was meant to reassure her. Reassure her that no matter what they were in this together. Joohyun opened to speak, temporarily forgetting for that moment she couldn’t say anything she wished to Seulgi.

 

The monolid woman nodded in understanding as she made her way over to her. It was okay, there were no words needed at this time, though they wished there could be. Joohyun broke off into a bit of a run to hurry and get to Seulgi. She was honestly just so happy to see her standing here, anything else could wait. Though, Joohyun is also fairly certain the reason Seulgi hadn’t said much before had been to surprise her by showing up anyway. As soon as Joohyun was within arms reach of the taller woman she threw herself into Seulgi’s arms, to which Seulgi caught her instantly and held her close in a warm embrace.

 

And to any bystander or onlooker that happened upon them. The couple looked like any people in a loving embrace. Though it was much more than that to them at the moment. There had been a flood of different emotions that had been felt in that hug, relief, love, reassurance, and understanding. Just knowing that she wouldn’t go an entire weekend hoping for a dream to see Seulgi, or for a text to show up meant the world to Joohyun. 

 

She would have dealt with whatever happened this weekend alone if she needed to. But Joohyun is sure glad she doesn’t have to. Something told her Seulgi wouldn’t have let her anyways.

 

Whatever happened this weekend they would face together, and even if they didn’t get the answers they wanted. Joohyun knew from the way they were holding onto one another. There was no way they’d give one another up.

 

Even if they could only see one another in their dreams.



 

A/N: Okay, first part complete. It shouldn’t be too long hopefully for the conclusion, I’ll try my best anyways. Thank you for reading and enjoying this if you did.


 

Sponsor Mentions: As always, thank you very much to my sponsors. I appreciate all of you so much: AvryGeist171, Tay_84, royalshipper2122, DTHDHR, Bernkaset, Casti1004, jasonds,  ZombieJuhyun, falsuki, wittyadie95, Eris78, User_name1200, Androsssss, theRequiem78, jyrus_21, Seosunny, sleepyhead, pinkpinkypin, shinneay, iamforeverlame, Mmm2392, CheezeeMyoui, Supergirl03, taeyang729, RedPaint, Shouto818,  jjlevi93, LOCOppl, AliyaViktoria, j33200, Karasxo, Mehrus, HornedDevil, Badgalval, Shaolan, Zesev7, PengusTigerClub, Mia317, Kim_saehyun97, Mustafina, Jiminiepabo707,  s1786343, satozaki, noob101, j3200, dmac20, Zesev7, Jewster88, shinneay, aseulo, Mmm2392, Taitai84, km3bty, somebbboy, mondongo1, Angelline152, ajhoon, Pinkbubl, royalshipper2122, Itheartisti, drunkenseul, ainijt, jeticouple, sonexpikachu64, Simpz11, baetokki9, dianafeng, Revelsone, Icantstandtofly, Moonstunt, Fantasii, ericakate, dmac20, seulseulseul,  YANGx_, Tempurany, bbongdrr, okay54321, Username_1200, zwilson4, AlineKwon, issiswain56, howtokillyou, Gaybabytrash, captainsnsd, wannis3s, YANGx, born10966, ioi_babysitter, anonymous, shinneay, Informedpuppy, Azureshshah, anonymous, jy27ting, sourdraft, jypchae, Supergirl03, aya_ah98, ir3nes, Thank you so much for being sponsors. :)